• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I just checked PS3 forums for the game on gamefaqs, and I'm seeing some reports there too about corrupted saves. I think it's pretty safe to conclude it's a bug with the game. The complaints about savegames are valid although I don't see the practical need to ever make a new gamertag. Having the savegames be in weird locations is annoying, but with all the recent GFWL games I've played (the last 2 years), they've stopped doing that.

I think that might be a separate issue, though. As far as I'm aware, all copies of Arkham City can be hit with the "corrupt save file" problem. Only copies that go through a Live system are affected by the "your save file is inexplicably gone" bug.

I'll admit I haven't read up on in it completely, but that's the gist I've gotten by reading the official Arkham City forums.

Montresor

You can change the date, but you have to be offline. Being offline gives you a corrupted dlc screen, meaning you have to delete all your dlc then re-dl it when you're done. It was a pain but I did it.

This won't affect the challenge medal and story mission progress for Catwoman will it? I already have every Catwoman achievement but regardless I still love seeing 108/108 for her campaign challenges and I wouldn't want that to go away.

morningbus

Just going to repost this form the PC version thread, as a warning:

So I finally got home to try what I was thinking, and here is what I can confirm because of it:

1) Steam versions of the game save only to this directory: Steam > userdata > 38578650 > 57400 > remote and are formatted like this username-save#.sgd (with the # being the slot of your safe, the first slot is "0" and the 4th sloth is "3").

2) Presumably, other versions of the game save to this folder: Documents > WB Games > Batman Arkham City > SaveData. If you have the Steam version, this folder will still be created, but it will be empty.

If you are hit with the "we deleted your save because fuck you" bug, take these immediate actions:

1) Do not click through to the save to see if it is actually deleted. If nothing is there, it is gone.

2) Alt-tab out immediately and navigate to the directory where you save file should be. Copy it out if it is there. If it is already gone, then, I don't know. They've wined and dined you and now you're screwed.

3) Close the game down and start it back up, if it still is showing no save, close it down again, and copy your save file back into the directory.

4) Load up the game again and hopefully you should have your save file again.

This should work, but I was only able to confirm it using newly created save data. (I played to the point where I made some progress, just after you
become Batman
and tested my theory with swapping save files)

What you should do right now, even if you are a big-shot who lives by his own rules and on a razor's edge: go to your save directory and make a personal backup of the save right now. Don't let what happened to me happen to you, where I lost 24 hours of progress because it randomly deleted my save then synced that it to Steam cloud. There is no way for me to recover my save data now.

Sectus

I'm not sure if anyone else has done this before but I went through various files which comes with the game. There's quite a bit of references to scrapped or future DLC content. I'll just list all the stuff I found.

- There's a list of which characters taunt you at the game over screen, Black Mask is one of the listed.

- There's these speech sequences listed:
Code:
Speech_SIDE_STORY_Killer_Croc
Speech_SIDE_STORY_Killer_Croc_4
Speech_SIDE_STORY_Killer_Croc_intro
There's a very small scene with killer croc in the game, but no side mission. Probably something they scrapped early on.

- Chapter 0 is referred to as the intro of the game, it also mentions these speech sequences:
Code:
Speech_CH_ZERO_CH0_BlackMask_guards
Speech_CH_ZERO_CH0_BlackMask_guards_ground
Speech_CH_ZERO_CH0_BlackMask_idles
Speech_CH_ZERO_CH0_Blackmask_on_ground
So more hints that Black Mask was supposed to have a bigger role in the game (or well, any role really).

- A brief mention of the batcave as a challenge map:
Code:
C57_Desc0=12
C57_Desc1=22
C57_Desc2=30
C57_Description=Clear the room as quickly as possible.
C57_Title=The Batcave
So this DLC was planned early on.

- Many mentions of predator medals requiring the ultra batclaw or batarang:
Code:
G8=Tug of war
G8_Desc=Use the Ultra Batclaw to pull 3 henchmen off a walkway at once, taking them all out.

G13=The magic number
G13_Desc=Use the Triple Batarang to knock down 3 henchmen with one throw.

G16=Whipped Up
G16_Desc=Using the Ultra Batclaw, pull the floor out from under a henchman.
G17=Two for the price of one
G17_Desc=Using the Ultra Batclaw, pull the floor out from under 2 henchmen.
G18=Three fall
G18_Desc=Using the Ultra Batclaw, pull the floor out from under 3 henchmen.

G26=Crash landing
G26_Desc=Use the Ultra Batclaw to pull a wall down on a henchman.
Probably leftovers from Asylum.

- And here comes some very interesting stuff...
Code:
[LiveLan]
FindingServers=Searching for games...
GameStart=Start
NoServers=No joinable games detected.

[Lobby]
Campaign=Campaigns
ChangeSkin=Change Skin
Custom=Custom
ExitMessage=Are you sure you wish to end the session?
Goals=Goals
Head2Head=Head to Head
Page=Page
Ranked=Ranked
Ready=READY
Select=Select
TitleCombat=COMBAT MAPS
TitleDLC=DOWNLOADED MAPS
TitlePredator=PREDATOR MAPS
UnSelect=Un-Select

Head2Head_1_Desc=Outscore the other player by taking down as many enemies as you can.
Head2Head_1_Title=Head to Head Challenge

Splitscreen=Splitscreen Type
Lan play? Splitscreen? Head to head mode? Sounds like they were planning to add multiplayer to the game.

- Brief hint of story DLC:
Code:
StoryDLC=Experience a new story chapter in Arkham City.
StoryDLC_Locked=Downloadable content package required.

- Something about a Warner Bros login.
Code:
WBID=Enter your WBID login and password here.
[WBID]
AccountCreated=Congratulations, your WBID was created successfully! You are now all set to take advantage of Batman: Arkham City™ community features! An email has been sent to the email address you entered. Click on the link in the email to verify your email address.
Busy=Busy...
ConfirmSkip=If you sign up for WBID you'll get access to all the Batman: Arkham City™ community features such as;\n-Special online competitions and challenges!\n-Earn community reputation\n-Earn special rewards!\nVisit http://community.batmanarkhamcity.com for more information.
CreateButton=Create WBID/Sign In
CreateNew=No email and password association was found. If this is an existing WBID please enter correct email & password.
CreateOrSkip=Sign in to your WBID or quickly make a new WBID to use.
DashConfirmPassword=Confirm Password
DashEnterEmail=Enter Email
DashEnterEmailWBID=Enter Email for your WBID
DashEnterPassword=Enter Password
DashEnterPasswordWBID=Enter Password for your WBID
ForgotPass=If your email %s is a registered WBID, an email will be sent to it containing your new password.
Instructions=Please enter your email address & password associated with your WBID. If you don't have a WBID, one will be automatically created for you.
LoggedIn=Thanks for registering your WBID with Batman Arkham City™ !
NewEmail=The email you entered is already registered with WBID. Please enter a new one or go back and select Forgot Password.
PasswordNoMatch=Please re-enter your password correctly.
RemindButton=Remind Me Next Time
SkipButton=Skip WBID
With all the securom+GFWL+steam nonsense it's good they didn't include *yet* another account to log into.

- A bunch of modifiers which are not in the final game. Several of them mentions multiple players:
Code:
Mod_BombsAway_Desc=Avoid the falling explosives!
Mod_BombsAway_Title=Bombs Away

Mod_FocusAuraMultiple_Desc=Multiple enemies are surrounded by a protective aura, making them vulnerable only to attacks from one player
Mod_FocusAuraMultiple_Title=Multiple Protective Aura

Mod_FocusAuraSimultaneous_Desc=One enemy is surrounded by a special protective aura, making them vulnerable only to a Takedown by both players at the same time!
Mod_FocusAuraSimultaneous_Title=Team Up Protective Aura

Mod_HalfStrikeDamage_Desc=Players will do half damage when performing strikes
Mod_HalfStrikeDamage_Title=Half Strike Damage

Mod_OneHitKill_Desc=Players will die when they are hit once by an enemy!
Mod_OneHitKill_Title=One Hit Kill

Mod_PoisonedChalice_Desc=Players will begin the challenge poisoned with their health slowly decreasing. Defeat enemies to regain health!
Mod_PoisonedChalice_Title=Poisoned Chalice

-Mention of the armoured Batsuit. Probably a leftover from Asylum.
Code:
ArmouredBatmanUnlocked=Congratulations! You have unlocked the Armored Batsuit for use in the Challenge Mode.

- Two files which seems to hint there's still animations for fighting against lunatics (which I'm pretty sure are the crazies you fight during Asylum).
Code:
Anim_Batman_Lunatic_Combat_SF.upk
Anim_Catwoman_LN_Com_SF.upk

Jintor

Just going to repost this form the PC version thread, as a warning:

So I finally got home to try what I was thinking, and here is what I can confirm because of it:

1) Steam versions of the game save only to this directory: Steam > userdata > 38578650 > 57400 > remote and are formatted like this username-save#.sgd (with the # being the slot of your safe, the first slot is "0" and the 4th sloth is "3").

2) Presumably, other versions of the game save to this folder: Documents > WB Games > Batman Arkham City > SaveData. If you have the Steam version, this folder will still be created, but it will be empty.

If you are hit with the "we deleted your save because fuck you" bug, take these immediate actions:

1) Do not click through to the save to see if it is actually deleted. If nothing is there, it is gone.

2) Alt-tab out immediately and navigate to the directory where you save file should be. Copy it out if it is there. If it is already gone, then, I don't know. They've wined and dined you and now you're screwed.

3) Close the game down and start it back up, if it still is showing no save, close it down again, and copy your save file back into the directory.

4) Load up the game again and hopefully you should have your save file again.

This should work, but I was only able to confirm it using newly created save data. (I played to the point where I made some progress, just after you
become Batman
and tested my theory with swapping save files)

What you should do right now, even if you are a big-shot who lives by his own rules and on a razor's edge: go to your save directory and make a personal backup of the save right now. Don't let what happened to me happen to you, where I lost 24 hours of progress because it randomly deleted my save then synced that it to Steam cloud. There is no way for me to recover my save data now.

Thanks for the advice, backing up now because I'm paranoid.

Bat tries to not empower his enemies by calling them by their chosen moniker. I believe Joker is the exception.

It's because Joker doesn't have an actual name. Well, it could be Jack Napier, or Joseph Kerr or something, but whoever he was before is dead.

So I just completed a late-game mission involving Joker and it sent me abruptly to a Catwoman mission where she's
captured by Ivy
and I don't recall seeing that happen before. Pretty jarring. I went to the menu screen where you can select previous missions and I see there's one other available but I don't recall playing through it. Was I supposed to? Am I doing anything wrong or out of order?

Doomrider

File stuff

I've been waiting for something like this. Thank you! I don't have any interest in multiplayer for this game, but I'm curious about the story DLC. Oh, and Black Mask is actually in the beginning of the game, getting beaten up by some guards. Also, I just checked YT and he taunts the player in the Freight Train challenge map (DLC).

I wonder if the WBID stuff will still make it into the game, in the future.

Sectus

I've been waiting for something like this. Thank you! I don't have any interest in multiplayer for this game, but I'm curious about the story DLC. Oh, and Black Mask is actually in the beginning of the game, getting beaten up by some guards. Also, I just checked YT and he taunts the player in the Freight Train challenge map (DLC).

I wonder if the WBID stuff will still make it into the game, in the future.
Ah yeah, I just tested that. I feel a bit silly for missing it.

About Black Mask taunting you, do you mean taunting you through that window in the predator mission or taunting you at a game over screen?

So I just completed a late-game mission involving Joker and it sent me abruptly to a Catwoman mission where she's
captured by Ivy
and I don't recall seeing that happen before. Pretty jarring. I went to the menu screen where you can select previous missions and I see there's one other available but I don't recall playing through it. Was I supposed to? Am I doing anything wrong or out of order?
It sounds like you started playing without the Catwoman DLC and then got the DLC while playing through the story. What happened is explained in the second Catwoman episode.

Doomrider

About Black Mask taunting you, do you mean taunting you through that window in the predator mission or taunting you at a game over screen?

I missed his cameo in my first playthrough as well and I think many did =P

At the game over screen (you can see it in this video).

It sounds like you started playing without the Catwoman DLC and then got the DLC while playing through the story. What happened is explained in the second Catwoman episode.

That's exactly what I did, thanks. I wish I would've known it would do something weird like that if I didn't download it.

Derrick01

Banned
Killer Croc is in the game? I don't remember seeing him, unless it's through a challenge map or something which I haven't even started yet.

And I'm glad to see a mention of the ultra batclaw, they said you start this game with all of your gadgets yet that never shows up. I keep seeing these walls that are a little too high to plant explosives and I keep struggling to get the line launcher just right as that seems to be the only thing to break them now. I miss pulling walls down.

Sectus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByYVsxk25mE - I recorded a bunch of minor scenes from the game which people might have missed. It's mainly talking to certain characters at various times as Batman or Catwoman. It also shows the killer croc cameo. Spoiler warning for the video for people who haven't beaten the game and all the side missions yet.

Derrick01

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByYVsxk25mE - I recorded a bunch of minor scenes from the game which people might have missed. It's mainly talking to certain characters at various times as Batman or Catwoman. It also shows the killer croc cameo. Spoiler warning for the video for people who haven't beaten the game and all the side missions yet.

wtf I hit that thing earlier for the killer croc event and nothing happened. I was just screwing around thinking of a way to get the trophy nearby and I flung a remote batarang into that very same switch. I got screwed! lol

Sectus

wtf I hit that thing earlier for the killer croc event and nothing happened. I was just screwing around thinking of a way to get the trophy nearby and I flung a remote batarang into that very same switch. I got screwed! lol

I think it's only possible to trigger if you do it at a very specific point in the storyline, which is just after the sequence with
Ra's

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
captured by Ivy
I'm currently playing through the PC version, and that's essentially what happens at the end of the second Catwoman mission. Are you just forgetting it happened earlier?

I'm currently playing through the PC version, and that's essentially what happens at the end of the second Catwoman mission. Are you just forgetting it happened earlier?

Unless I'm going crazy I don't thInk I played it at all. I didn't DL Catwoman until I was almost halfway through the main story. Did you have that content downloaded from the get-go?

Montresor

Yeah I know I've done tons and tons and tons of complaining in this thread about challenges, but... after playing a lot with Catwoman I've gotten really good at Predator/Campaign and I thought I'd have some more. =p

Today I downloaded the Nightwing and Robin bundles and I'm very impressed. The first thing I noticed after downloading both packs was that the character trophy section was marked "New!" even though I had already collected and viewed every trophy. I investigate and find out there's five new Robin/Nightwing trophies, including very nifty and beautiful cartoonish versions of both Robin and Nightwing. "Really cool," I thought.

Then I load up the Riddler's Challenge section and find out that each of the new trophies I mentioned above represent a selectable skin! My brother and I freaked out since we thought this was so unexpectedly awesome. Immediately I start playing the challenges with the cartoon versions of both Robin and Nightwing. I loved playing Catwoman's challenges with her cartoon costume - ditto with Robin and Nightwing. It's very nice the way all the cartoon skins stand out in the game's gritty art style.

It's refreshing to see how uniquely each of these new characters play. Nightwing's combat challenge map was pretty lacklustre though - no titan henchmen at all, and so it's really easy all around. Robin's combat challenge map blew me away. It's a side-scrolling battle where you fight on a high speed freight train and progress through train cars between rounds.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Unless I'm going crazy I don't thInk I played it at all. I didn't DL Catwoman until I was almost halfway through the main story. Did you have that content downloaded from the get-go?
Yeah, I think the PC version has it w/o the need for DLC download. Hell, a Catwoman level is the very start of the game!

aasoncott

Games for Windows Live, I HATE YOU SO MUCH.

Started playing yesterday, ended about two hours in. Loaded up the game this evening, GFWL needs to do an update. Okay. It updates. The games loads... my profile reads "story not started". All my progress lost.

At least I wasn't that far into the game, but honestly, I don't even want to start it again. I'm too pissed. And how am I supposed to know it won't do it again?

Yeah, I think the PC version has it w/o the need for DLC download. Hell, a Catwoman level is the very start of the game!

Are you shitting me? Why would the devs do that? Why have legit story missions as a download if the content is free? I thought they were just separate extras, not part of the main game storyline.

morningbus

Games for Windows Live, I HATE YOU SO MUCH.

Started playing yesterday, ended about two hours in. Loaded up the game this evening, GFWL needs to do an update. Okay. It updates. The games loads... my profile reads "story not started". All my progress lost.

At least I wasn't that far into the game, but honestly, I don't even want to start it again. I'm too pissed. And how am I supposed to know it won't do it again?

The sad thing is we don't know why it does it or when it would happen. You can try to mitigate the damage by following some of the info I posted earlier in the thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33053743&postcount=8577

Jintor

I wish they had a different map icon for Perspective riddles. I drove myself crazy just now trying to figure out a riddle when it turns out it was a simple perspective riddle that I had missed.

Im so addicted to this game, I keep telling myself “I'll just do a few riddles" and I end up playing for an hour or two doing challenge maps and campaigns

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so uh

the game said something about switching costumes after i beat the game, but i cannot remember how you're supposed to do it. How do you switch costumes in the main game?

so uh

the game said something about switching costumes after i beat the game, but i cannot remember how you're supposed to do it. How do you switch costumes in the main game?

If I remember it correctly, you will have to back out of the game and, when you continue, you will be able to select an alternate costume.

Presco

Help me GAF!

Trying to play a Steam copy of Arkham City PC for the first time and I'm stuck in an endless GFWL client update loop.

Launch game, hit enter, sign into live. Prompted with "An update is available for live. If you decline you will signed out of live. Do you want to apply the update?"

Accept update, update downloads. Prompted with "Please save your game progress and shut down the game to continue with the update."

Hit OK, shut down and restart game, restart cycle. It also won't work if I try and sign in immediately after having downloaded the update. Prompted with "An update is pending from live. Please save the game progress and shut down your game to continue with the update."

I'm very frustrated and tried to launch the game 10+ times while being prompted to update each time. I`m well versed in the asstardedness of GFWL from previous experience but it`s always been lost saves for me in the past. Endless update loop is a new one. Please help.

Yaska

Great game but didn't really like the ending (major spoilers of the ending)
so not only did they kill thalia (she can be ressed in the lazarus pit right?) and also Joker DIED!? what? It's been 2 days since I finished it and I'm still completely confused about the whole thing.

Gor@n

Neo Member
Regarding the riddler informants, if i ko one does he come back? Was doing a certain mission and there was a group of armed thugs so didn't have the chance to interrogate.

Sectus

Supposedly there will be some story DLC with the batcave.

Batcave is a predator challenge mission. It was shown in the recent gametrailers tv show.

Regarding the riddler informants, if i ko one does he come back? Was doing a certain mission and there was a group of armed thugs so didn't have the chance to interrogate.

Yes, they come back again.

luiztfc

Help me GAF!

Trying to play a Steam copy of Arkham City PC for the first time and I'm stuck in an endless GFWL client update loop.

Launch game, hit enter, sign into live. Prompted with "An update is available for live. If you decline you will signed out of live. Do you want to apply the update?"

Accept update, update downloads. Prompted with "Please save your game progress and shut down the game to continue with the update."

Hit OK, shut down and restart game, restart cycle. It also won't work if I try and sign in immediately after having downloaded the update. Prompted with "An update is pending from live. Please save the game progress and shut down your game to continue with the update."

I'm very frustrated and tried to launch the game 10+ times while being prompted to update each time. I`m well versed in the asstardedness of GFWL from previous experience but it`s always been lost saves for me in the past. Endless update loop is a new one. Please help.

Are you using gamesave manager? I was experiencing a loop with GFWL in Dirt3, as I couldn't update the game. Turns out (in my case) that GameSave Manager was causing it. I had to uninstall it (and manually terminate the symbolic links) and try again.

so not only did they kill thalia (she can be ressed in the lazarus pit right?) and also Joker DIED!? what? It's been 2 days since I finished it and I'm still completely confused about the whole thing.

I don't know about
Talia, but judging by the music he sang during the credits scene, I'd bet Joker is alive (which wouldn't make any sense, since Batman is able to see if someone is dead or alive.

Curufinwe

Jesus christ, the final battle is absolutely retarded on NG+.

I was having trouble with the final part until I realized
I could just mash Y to keep the all the mini-Clayfaces from hurting me while I waited for Clayface to come out of the pit. And then I could throw a couple of freeze bombs at him while dodging by pressing AA, then go back to mashing Y.

I assume you aren't having trouble with the first part because that's pretty simple.

Melchiah

Just came to think about how great it would be if you could access certain sections in the story, or boss battles, after you've beaten the game. Too bad the only chance to do so is to start it over from the very beginning. Unless you want to replay the Catwoman sections of course.

People in the spoiler thread have different theories about joker.

Some say it could've been clayface as the joker. But it can't because you can see bones when you scan his body.

I also think
He might live because he did consume a little of the cure from the floor. Im sure you need large doses for it to work but this is still a game and some did get into his system

And the joker thugs on the street keep saying
"Joker died before, He always comes back"- "Theres no way he's dead. He can't be"
Something along those lines.

I think the best one for me though is
"2 jokers? How we know they ain't a 3rd?
=)

aett

After I beat the game, I went around and interrogated every Riddler informant I could find so that all of the riddles would show up on my map. After that, I went and got 'em all... but there are still about a dozen or so I'm missing, and I'm not finding any more informants. Do some of them just not show up on the map? The only ones I'm missing are from the city proper, not inside any buildings.

Lime

After I beat the game, I went around and interrogated every Riddler informant I could find so that all of the riddles would show up on my map. After that, I went and got 'em all... but there are still about a dozen or so I'm missing, and I'm not finding any more informants. Do some of them just not show up on the map? The only ones I'm missing are from the city proper, not inside any buildings.

Some of them are inside non-mappable buildings, such as the courthouse or the interrogation room.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Just beat the game. I was expecting a bit more with all the hype attached to this game. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game and better than AA, but I just expected more, which is probably just my fault.

Bright side is I can probably sell it for profit now. <3 Black Friday sale.

Sober

Some of them are inside non-mappable buildings, such as the courthouse or the interrogation room.
Yes, I found my missing trophies last night -- the courthouse, Krank Co Toys, the GCPD building and such, since they are not 'dungeons' like the Steel Mill or the Museum, they are just under the same trophy grid as the district they are located in. (While some will tell you it is in the building, probably for some one-off trophies)

After I beat the game, I went around and interrogated every Riddler informant I could find so that all of the riddles would show up on my map.
I had a few I missed before I got 440/440 and I found them inside the church. You won't see them until you go inside the building like the church, police station, etc as mentioned.

Top Bottom