• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Sober

I doubt the next RS Batman game will ever be truly "open world", but it'd be cool to have day/night cycles where you alternate as Bruce Wayne and Batman and possibly have to do some investigating during the day for missions and stuff all over Gotham City.

To be fair, the part of Gotham that was partitioned to make Arkham City seems tiny in comparison to the rest of Gotham (a sense of scale as you climb Wonder Tower is best), plus for some reason it all felt really squished together as there was little that didn't feature something in the game world.

also go look up "Arkham City numbers station" on youtube and that looks like it's hinting at a possible sequel about Scarecrow

Derrick01

Banned
I doubt the next RS Batman game will ever be truly "open world", but it'd be cool to have day/night cycles where you alternate as Bruce Wayne and Batman and possibly have to do some investigating during the day for missions and stuff all over Gotham City.

To be fair, the part of Gotham that was partitioned to make Arkham City seems tiny in comparison to the rest of Gotham (a sense of scale as you climb Wonder Tower is best), plus for some reason it all felt really squished together as there was little that didn't feature something in the game world.

also go look up "Arkham City numbers station" on youtube and that looks like it's hinting at a possible sequel about Scarecrow

I like the investigating as wayne idea. If they really wanted to make it challenging it could be great, LA Noire but not shitty.

About the next game spoilers, I haven't heard about the one you listed but I saw in the spoiler thread here on gaf that (possibly huge spoilers here)
harley's pregnant with joker's kid and that somehow ties into the next game. After you spot the stuff on the ground it supposedly goes to another credits screen with harley singing a kid's song.

Jintor

Jesus christ, Natural Selection Extreme is a bitch and a half. Oddly enough the worst part was timing the explosive blast to get a henchmen as he grabs a new gun, leave it a half-second too late and he registers as a henchmen with a gun and keeps it and the medal won't trigger.

I don`t want Batman 3 to be an open world game like GTA or RDR. I really liked the small size of AC and the more hub world feel, instead of a real open world. Batman 3 needs to be set in Gotham but like AC they should only use a small part of the city like the park area, downtown,... but they need to design more big dungeons like the steel mill and the museum. AC lacked in that department.

jackdoe

How could you think AA had better bosses? There was only 1 real fight and that was Poison Ivy, the rest were variants of those Titans.
Freeze
alone is better than every boss in AA.

I'll agree the open world was rather pointless which made me put up with pointless stuttering the entire game. BUT, I want the next Batman to be open world again. They just need to learn to put more sidequests in and make them better. It can be amazing if Rocksteady knew how to make an open world game.

I also want 700-800 Riddler secrets next time.
As long as they don't tie that into the Riddler side quest, I'd be fine with an increase in Riddler secrets.

Also, I definitely agree that they need to implement side quests better. I literally finished the game without triggering the next step of several side quests. One of which required me to actively looks for the next step, which I didn't realize until I did a google search on it.

Shiv47

Finished this a few days ago and loved it enough to go for the 100%, but I just can't see spending the time on getting all the riddles. I mean, 440? I have better things to do. My plea for the next game would be at least twice (optimally 3x) as many side missions and 150 riddles tops. So many of the riddles are just the same shit anyway. Glad I'm not OCD when it comes to that stuff...

Derrick01

Banned
Finished this a few days ago and loved it enough to go for the 100%, but I just can't see spending the time on getting all the riddles. I mean, 440? I have better things to do. My plea for the next game would be at least twice (optimally 3x) as many side missions and 150 riddles tops. So many of the riddles are just the same shit anyway. Glad I'm not OCD when it comes to that stuff...

Once you have every gadget and you interrogate every riddler suspect you find finding most of them is really easy, though there are some tricky ones to obtain.

If you're going for 100% the pain in the ass part you have to worry about are the challenge rooms/campaigns. Some of them are insane.

Sober

Jesus christ, Natural Selection Extreme is a bitch and a half. Oddly enough the worst part was timing the explosive blast to get a henchmen as he grabs a new gun, leave it a half-second too late and he registers as a henchmen with a gun and keeps it and the medal won't trigger.
Between detective vision and your explosive gel proximity warning, it shouldn't be too difficult. Plus it stuns them only, so if you mess up I guess you can try again =\

Montresor

Between detective vision and your explosive gel proximity warning, it shouldn't be too difficult. Plus it stuns them only, so if you mess up I guess you can try again =\

You only get three retries at most before your run is corrupted. You get only two disruptor shots and can disarm an opponent with the REC/generator combo once (they'll destroy the generator after it's been used).

Jintor

You only get three retries at most before your run is corrupted. You get only two disruptor shots and can disarm an opponent with the REC/generator combo once (they'll destroy the generator after it's been used).

And using batclaw disarm only works if their gun happens to fly off a ledge or something!

Sober

And using batclaw disarm only works if their gun happens to fly off a ledge or something!
You could also try disabling their weapon and then dropping down in front of them and make them freak out from having a jammed gun. Not saying you can try it forever but if you miss it the first time (I did) you can try again.

Also, how the hell do you get half a million points on Rooftop Rumble extreme? I am super curious how that can be done. (the gap is astronomical)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/tehsober/screenshot/614970002283302285

5th though, still feels good man.

Jintor

The combo is the single most important part of scoring points in Challenge mode. Especially in Rooftop Rumble extreme, because it has one of the Twins at the end and you can whale on him for ages racking up the meter. I think he delivers about a 50-hit combo before he goes down and that's without interacting with other thugs for anything other than counters or dodges.

Basically if you can perfect freeflow every round it's probably an achievable goal. Not to mention the variation bonuses and ground-pounds.

Rooftop Rumble and Gates of Hell Extreme are my favourites, I think. I thought I'd like Joker's Funhouse more but Titan thugs are bitches.

You could also try disabling their weapon and then dropping down in front of them and make them freak out from having a jammed gun. Not saying you can try it forever but if you miss it the first time (I did) you can try again.

I swear I was on that fucking map for two hours trying to get all three achievements. Half the time you drop down in front of them, they freak out, and then they try and hand-to-hand you instead. The dicks.

Sober

You might need to show up, he freaks out, then grappel away, he might be inclined to go for a new gun. I dunno. Either way you get some entertainment out of it. I need to redo Survival extreme anyway since it took me 11:30 to clear it.

Funhouse Extreme is pretty damn fun, but I either suck at Catwoman or something but damn that is the only stage I might actually fail on (get my hps all lost) because of the titans and all the other things in play. Catwoman IMO does fine on maps like Hell's Gate or Rooftop Rumble extremes because the only thing to worry about are hammer bros or shields and batons. I don't mind that she doesn't have a break weapon combo (though sometimes I do wish she did) but she can't rodeo a titan so it gets annoying trying to subdue one or put one to use. They are more of an annoyance than anything else. Bolas seem unreliable (otherwise I would use em as often as I use batarangs) for your combo meter, strange enough (since batarang combos don't give a fuck if they hit an armoured goon or shielded one) which is why I usually just use the whip trip.

Also I suck at doing the ultra stun as Catwoman because I find it impossible to read if the whip is working correctly or not.

Jintor

I'll be gunning for your spot on the leaderboard for Rooftop Rumble Extreme after I finish off these final few challenge maps :)

Dabanton

I like the open world elements just grappling around the city and messing with the convicts is fun i see someone else has already mentioned my favorite new thing to do jam their guns then walk in front of them as they try to fire them off.

Sectus

Does the CE come with the catwoman and robin dlc??

Catwoman comes with every new copy of the game. Robin was a pre-order exclusive I think with certain retailers.

I think the only exclusive ingame content with the CE is one challenge map, but I'm not sure if that's with every CE.

Jintor

I want to throttle the man (or woman, I don't discriminate) who decided that it's pretty much fucking impossible to dodge shield bashes while you're beatdowning armoured thugs.

Fucking throttle them.

Derrick01

Banned
Goddamn I hate Nolan North. Every thug is Nathan Drake, it's so jarring.

Poor Nolan :(

He has to do at least 3 voices if he's hired, it's the rules apparently. So they made him voice like every guard which takes away from his amazing Penguin performance. He's also a couple other people in Uncharted 3 too.

But I get it. I was playing last night and I've just recently completed U3 so yeah I heard Drake yelling bad things at me. Hurt my feelings.

Dascu

Just finished it (on PC). Compared to its predecessor, the biggest improvements are the much better bossfights, and the biggest failing is the disjointed feel of the overworld/story/villains. The entire game suffers from quantity over quality.

Regarding the ending:
Well the main campaign's ending seems rather closed and leaves little material for a follow-up. Which is good, since I don't want another sequel like this. But then I continued on with some side-missions, and it does seem to set up another story involving Azrael, plus Hush. What's the status on Clayface by the way?

Jintor

Things I fucking hate:

- Rocketing towards a thug holding an object, only for him to begin to throw the object when you're midway through a dive and it smacks you right out of your combo with no ability to cancel
- Ninjas attacking you from off-screen with no indication because they're offscreen
- Thugs picking up shields moments before you strike them
- Batarangs failing to track thrown objects if launched before object is thrown, destroying your combo even if you dodge the damage
- Thugs shield bashing you out of beatdowns
- UNCANCELLABLE SHIT, EVERYTHING SHOULD BE CANCELLABLE, GO TALK TO BAYONETTA BATMAN THEN COME BACK, LEARN 2 DODGE OFFSET

Ovid

Started playing this game yesterday and I love it. Played for like 6 hours straight. I haven't played a single player game is so long. It feels so good.

The graphics look great too. Who needs a Xbox 720 with graphics like this.

Started playing this game yesterday and I love it. Played for like 6 hours straight. I haven't played a single player game is so long. It feels so good.

The graphics look great too. Who needs a Xbox 720 with graphics like this.

Are you serious? I really like AC and i think it my GoTY 2011 but the texture quality is horrible. Flat out horrible. Significant more RAM would do wonders for this game.

Sober

Things I fucking hate:

- Rocketing towards a thug holding an object, only for him to begin to throw the object when you're midway through a dive and it smacks you right out of your combo with no ability to cancel
- Ninjas attacking you from off-screen with no indication because they're offscreen
- Thugs picking up shields moments before you strike them
- Batarangs failing to track thrown objects if launched before object is thrown, destroying your combo even if you dodge the damage
- Thugs shield bashing you out of beatdowns
- UNCANCELLABLE SHIT, EVERYTHING SHOULD BE CANCELLABLE, GO TALK TO BAYONETTA BATMAN THEN COME BACK, LEARN 2 DODGE OFFSET

-try to drop them early (before they get a bead on you) or hit them with a gadget or do the instant takedown on them, or just keep dodging around until he throws it
-ninjas offscreen? you mean after they dash away from your attack or something? I've never been offscreen ninja attacked. I fail at countering them sometimes because they are pretty fast especially at doing a followup attack when they dodge your strike, that's about it.
-only ever a problem as catwoman, I always break shields asap, but yes I get the occasional cockblock
-never had a batarang combo fail me out of my combo. You can always toss up to 3 at once to make sure something gets hit and keeps it up (this is where the bola I think fails)
-you can dodge away from a shield during a beatdown, I've done it before (my success rate is a bit low there though). I hope you haven't seen the BS that is the baton-wielder that can fly towards you freeflow combat style.

-the only thing cancellable I think is beatdown and I haven't tried it but I'm sure you can dodge out in the middle of a knife dodge? The only thing I found is sometimes poor timing can lead to being hit while performing an aerial attack or using a gadget as most other things make you invulnerable to regular thugs while performing it (short of getting hammer bro'd or titan swiped)

Angelcurio

Just started playing my copy a couple of minutes ago, and to my disappointment i just found out that the game only has spanish subtitles, when AA was fully dubbed in spanish.

I'm not going to lie, I'm damn proud. Loved (almost) every minute of it.

76gaY.png

Now that I'm done, I wonder what I'm going to do.
Move on to the PC version :]

Lime

Regarding the ending:
Well the main campaign's ending seems rather closed and leaves little material for a follow-up. Which is good, since I don't want another sequel like this. But then I continued on with some side-missions, and it does seem to set up another story involving Azrael, plus Hush. What's the status on Clayface by the way?

Wait for the sequel
's pre-order DLC at Best Buy

Jintor

-try to drop them early (before they get a bead on you) or hit them with a gadget or do the instant takedown on them, or just keep dodging around until he throws it
-ninjas offscreen? you mean after they dash away from your attack or something? I've never been offscreen ninja attacked. I fail at countering them sometimes because they are pretty fast especially at doing a followup attack when they dodge your strike, that's about it.
-only ever a problem as catwoman, I always break shields asap, but yes I get the occasional cockblock
-never had a batarang combo fail me out of my combo. You can always toss up to 3 at once to make sure something gets hit and keeps it up (this is where the bola I think fails)
-you can dodge away from a shield during a beatdown, I've done it before (my success rate is a bit low there though). I hope you haven't seen the BS that is the baton-wielder that can fly towards you freeflow combat style.

-the only thing cancellable I think is beatdown and I haven't tried it but I'm sure you can dodge out in the middle of a knife dodge? The only thing I found is sometimes poor timing can lead to being hit while performing an aerial attack or using a gadget as most other things make you invulnerable to regular thugs while performing it (short of getting hammer bro'd or titan swiped)

Was gunning for you yesterday but I'm stuck at 16 or 17 on the leaderboards :<

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
From the PC thread, mods are starting to appear!

For those who don't know when the demo of Batman Arkham Asylum was released on PC there were literally hundreds of different costumes modded into the game via texmod. Once the full version was released whatever DRM they had in place on the .exe stopped you from being able to use it.

Apparently there are no such limitations in Batman AC! Below is the first one to be released, the Batman Begins suit! I am quite happy this can be done now. I am running the Steam version BTW.

1a930f5ee6715ed2e8dd425727f01d51073368e5.jpg

f5cba4fd596aa92b0275607a7a36e017fa1dbc49.jpg

Montresor

I'm not going to lie, I'm damn proud. Loved (almost) every minute of it.

76gaY.png

Now that I'm done, I wonder what I'm going to do.
Move on to the PC version :]

Nice work! I'm almost there and I feel the same way. I just finished the last Nightwing campaign challenge and so I'm at 1240/1250 now. I just need the Calendar Man achievement. I still don't know if I'll get it right away or just cheese all the dates minus Christmas and get it then.

For Calendar Man, what should I do to save each encounter? Leave the courthouse to make sure it saves?

Seda

I beat the main game tonight. Going around gathering Riddler stuff now.

Are the Riddler hint goons appearances random? I know there's more stuff in the Amusement sector but I can't find a Riddler Lackey to reveal more stuff.

Sober

I beat the main game tonight. Going around gathering Riddler stuff now.

Are the Riddler hint goons appearances random? I know there's more stuff in the Amusement sector but I can't find a Riddler Lackey to reveal more stuff.
Try that and the transition b/w Amusement Mile and Park Row or the Industrial District because some of them reveal some for a bunch of areas.

If they stop showing up then they are all there.

Nice work! I'm almost there and I feel the same way. I just finished the last Nightwing campaign challenge and so I'm at 1240/1250 now. I just need the Calendar Man achievement. I still don't know if I'll get it right away or just cheese all the dates minus Christmas and get it then.

For Calendar Man, what should I do to save each encounter? Leave the courthouse to make sure it saves?
I obviously cheesed that one and yes, that's exactly what I did: leave the courthouse from the rear exit to save and enter again once the date had been changed.
I actually did 11 dates offline and it so happened I did it on October 31st so I managed to do the 12th date online.

Apoc87

Banned
Xbox 360 version, anyone getting trouble when trying to load from the hard drive? If I uninstall and run from the disc it loads every time, but it will only load about half of the time when installed.

This happened after downloading catwoman, and then downloading the title update in the same day. Do you think the title update broke the game?

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Thanks for clearing that up guys. 4 More predator stages to go. End of the Line (Catwoman Extreme) is kicking my ass.

Mohonky

Am i the only person that thinks this game has maybe too much in the way of collectibles? I just find the almost constant Riddler challenges a distraction. I find I try to get as many as I possibly can but at the same time there is so many of the things I feel like I'm playing a big game of treasure hunting as opposed to a batman title. I thought Arkham Asylum measured out the balance pretty well, in this one it feels like rocksteady scattered that shit every 10m or so.

I dont know how it is people aee 100%'ing this game, there is just way too much to do, seems like over kill imo.

Am i the only person that thinks this game has maybe too much in the way of collectibles? I just find the almost constant Riddler challenges a distraction. I find I try to get as many as I possibly can but at the same time there is so many of the things I feel like I'm playing a big game of treasure hunting as opposed to a batman title. I thought Arkham Asylum measured out the balance pretty well, in this one it feels like rocksteady scattered that shit every 10m or so.

I dont know how it is people aee 100%'ing this game, there is just way too much to do, seems like over kill imo.
I think there's way too many Riddler trophies. I 100%d Arkham Asylum, but no way am I going to bother getting every trophy in City.

Hyunkel6

I completely agree. Feels like there's a trophy at every corner. I love the riddles, but the insane amount of trophies is just ridiculous. I understand that they wanted the player to have something to do in the city, but come on. Half of the trophies would have been more than enough. Yes, I could ignore them, but they are required to unlock the challenges which I love.

Sober

I completely agree. Feels like there's a trophy at every corner. I love the riddles, but the insane amount of trophies is just ridiculous. I understand that they wanted the players to have something to do in the city, but come on. Half of the trophies would have been more than enough. Yes, I could ignore them, but they are required to unlock the challenges which I love.
The first 100 or so should unlock all the challenges. Only a few are linked to specific places while the rest just unlock certain things in sequential order. Otherwise you'd need a guide to pick up the right ones always just to do the challenges and campaigns.

vixlar

This.

I feel AA like a movie. AC feels more like a videogame. (It is a funny sentence, but it is true)

Regardless of that, I really enjoyed collecting all (n_n)

And it is really fun to watch all the animations to interrogate the green thugs. But I hate it when I must interrogate armed thugs. Tip: In combat, if you counter attack a green thug it does minimum damage, as if he countered an armored thug. thugthugthugthug (sorry about the word thug everywhere, I'm not creative at this moment)

Top Bottom