• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

JJBro One

What happened to the triple batclaw and the ability to individually select which bat gel to denonate? All of this was in asylum.

Sober

What happened to the triple batclaw and the ability to individually select which bat gel to denonate? All of this was in asylum.
No triple Batclaw in AC. Individual detonations are still in, same as AA - zoom in and detonate (pretty sure the Waynetech entry says so also)

Seda

What's up with the riddler switches that are on the sides of buildings? How do I activate them? Thanks.

The pressure pads? Glide into them. There are a few trophy puzzles that require you to glide Batman to a wall pressure pad, and glide off to a second, etc.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Just got the 104 ranked medals for batman and cat. Now for campaign mode. This is gonna be painful

Orin GA

I miss "Throw" made ground take downs a lot safer. Now i only use it when there is one enemy left.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I miss "Throw" made ground take downs a lot safer. Now i only use it when there is one enemy left.
I find that well timed use of the triple cape stun and freeze gadget help make getting in more ground take downs.

Any word on release date for all those sweet alternate costumes for PC?
Dunno, but I'm sure a bunch of good custom costume mods will quickly show up.

In 15 years of gaming I have never encountered a game that gets my blood boiling like the challenge rooms in the Batman games. I'm such a perfectionist and I know I am absolutely capable of perfection in these rooms and I get otherworldly mad when I fuck up. Like, you don't want to be in the same building as me. I just broke my G9x by throwing it against the wall.

And it's not even that I can't get the medals. I can get those pathetically easily, but I don't want medals, I want perfection, and the combat is so perfectly fucking easy and these little lapses in focus cause me to fuck it up every shitting time. I should really just stop playing them before I cause someone serious bodily harm.

HardRojo

Do i keep all of my ridler trophies from my 1st playtrough after i start NG+ ?

Yes, the normal playthrough and the NG+ playthrough of the same save slot share the weapon upgrades(you are limited in NG+ though) and the riddler trophies you get so you can get them in any of those 2 playthoughs.
Keep in mind that for the Perfect Knight 2.0 trophy you'll need to do the side missions on both playthroughs since they are not shared so if you had trouble with the AR missions you better start practicing :)

Jintor

In 15 years of gaming I have never encountered a game that gets my blood boiling like the challenge rooms in the Batman games. I'm such a perfectionist and I know I am absolutely capable of perfection in these rooms and I get otherworldly mad when I fuck up. Like, you don't want to be in the same building as me. I just broke my G9x by throwing it against the wall.

And it's not even that I can't get the medals. I can get those pathetically easily, but I don't want medals, I want perfection, and the combat is so perfectly fucking easy and these little lapses in focus cause me to fuck it up every shitting time. I should really just stop playing them before I cause someone serious bodily harm.

YES. YOU UNDERSTAND MY RAGE.

I wish there was an option to disable the pithy batman one-liner before the map begins. I don't know if it needs it for loading, but if it doesn't, get rid of that shit. I WANT TO GET STRAIGHT TO THE ACTION.

HardRojo

The combat part of ranked maps and campaings are rather easy but the predator maps tend to stress me out easily to the point I pause the game, start doing something else and then go back to it.
The only medals I'm lacking for the trophy are the ones from the campaings that have 3 predator maps each... I know they're gonna be such a pain in the ass.

HardRojo

batmanac2011-11-2916-3jckt.jpg

After googling I realized his real name is actually fries but I laughed out loud when I saw this.

I even thought it was a typo at first but after checking Freeze's bio it made sense :p
The Arkham games have taught me so may things about Batman that I didn't know :D

Derrick01

Banned
You can tell which gel to explode if you go into first person mode.

This....this changes everything. I kept trying to figure it out because out of the ~20 trophies I have left to get there's 1 in particular with 3 question marks but they only light up when you step on a switch which promptly closes the cage too. I knew the only way was to detonate one at a time but I couldn't figure out how.

L00P

Just got all the medals in the predator challenges as Batman. Man, some of the medals are fucking hard to get, especially the extreme versions. Feels really good when you get it, though.

I'm gonna play extreme predator maps a bit more before delving into the campaign maps. I wanna make sure I can get through the levels flawlessly, getting all the medals even with modifiers on. Goddamned Wonder Tower with its jammer thug needs a great amount of careful planning.

Sober

Yeah there are times during ROUND 1 all of a sudden I am doing fine, here comes the 7x combo then out of APPARENTLY NOWHERE, bam, shield to the face, combo fails. I hit start and restart the thing, and it happens again. This is very annoying as Catwoman on Joker's Carnival Extreme because 2x Titans and hammer bro are annoying as hell, and I forget to NOT COUNTER REGULAR THUGS NEARBY -- WHOOPS SORRY, TITAN SWIPE BROKE MY COMBO.

That's when I know I'm probably done for the evening.

Fry

I'm getting this between tomorrow/thursday, hopefully. I only played Arkham Asylum this year, so it's still all fresh to me. It was one of the best games I've played in a long time. Is this one just as good?

Sectus

I'm getting this between tomorrow/thursday, hopefully. I only played Arkham Asylum this year, so it's still all fresh to me. It was one of the best games I've played in a long time. Is this one just as good?

It's better. In every way. In my opinion anyway. There's some people who find the open world aspect disappointing, and some who feel the riddler trophies are too overwhelming, but well, I call those people quite silly.

Seda

Got all the Riddler secrets. Now to go for challenges and some other random PS3 trophies.

I expect the harder challenges to be rage inducing :/

Montresor

The alternate outfits dlc is out on 360 now and it's $5. Tempting.

Way too late for them to be getting my money on that, haha. I collected all 400 Batman Riddler trophies and completed New Game Plus almost two weeks ago. And I got every combat/predator/campaign challenge achievement for Batman... There's no reason anymore to get those skins.

One thing I loved is that the Catwoman and Robin and Nightwing DLC all came with one to two extra skins EACH. I loved playing the challenges with the cartoonish versions of all three characters.

HardRojo

Got all the Riddler secrets. Now to go for challenges and some other random PS3 trophies.

Start with the challenge maps so that you get a grasp on how you have to proceed on every challenge, the combat ones are rather easy to complete but the real problem are the Riddler campaings... I suggest watching some videos on youtube for strategies on how to complete Predator maps effectively and quickly.

Nori Chan

Way too late for them to be getting my money on that, haha. I collected all 400 Batman Riddler trophies and completed New Game Plus almost two weeks ago. And I got every combat/predator/campaign challenge achievement for Batman... There's no reason anymore to get those skins.

One thing I loved is that the Catwoman and Robin and Nightwing DLC all came with one to two extra skins EACH. I loved playing the challenges with the cartoonish versions of all three characters.

They out on doing everything the first week lol

I'm going to try a hard run then new game plus. Just to play this amazing game twice <3

AndyD

aka andydumi
And finished. Last night I finished everything in the city. All riddles, trophies, side missions. Excellent game, although I wish the main story was longer. It felt as if some of the side missions were as extensive as the main story. And I was hoping for more out of the detective mode. They could have fleshed that out in more of the side missions.

My favorite part of the whole game I think was meeting the Riddler and the finale of that side story. Not going to spoil anything, but the building he was in and the whole premise of what was going on in there was neat, despite not being terribly challenging.

Not going for the DLC, challenge maps, or game+, so I will likely put up the game in the for sale/trade thread if anyone is interested, PS3 version.

Predator challenges - look forward to it

Combat ones are all right. Once you figured out how to control the big enemies, pretty easy

So... after completing everything the game has to offer (1000/1000 on PC - which includes catwoman stuff). Catwoman's grapple is really mediocre - it made some of her predator stuff a pain when you want to grapple to a gargoyle and she cannot (even though Batman could). Also her jump is annoying as well, she only has two modes - either you press A and she jumps way far or press B and she drops down. For a good laugh, go to the gargoyles on "Top of the World" and try to jump down to one of the platforms without grappling. Her predator challenges are pretty alright for the most part (definitely the best thing about the Catwoman part of the game).

Also I almost kind of wish the predator challenges were in the main game in some fashion, those scenarios are ten times more interesting when you have to do the three tricks during them - and it is something most of the playerbase probably will never see.

Derrick01

Banned
It's amazing how I can sit there and study ways to get a riddler trophy for like 20 minutes, usually ones with multiple question marks to hit and struggle to think of a way.

And the solution is just "fling batarangs really fuckin fast at them". Makes me feel so smart...

Orin GA

It's amazing how I can sit there and study ways to get a riddler trophy for like 20 minutes, usually ones with multiple question marks to hit and struggle to think of a way.

And the solution is just "fling batarangs really fuckin fast at them". Makes me feel so smart...

There was one point in the game where you have to hit the fuse box with electricity and I searched all over for a place to fling my batarang in and get it charged. I tried charging the generator and throwin my batarang close but nothing was working. What was the solution? Shoot the fuse box with your REC through a hole in the wall. DERP

Derrick01

Banned
There was one point in the game where you have to hit the fuse box with electricity and I searched all over for a place to fling my batarang in and get it charged. I tried charging the generator and throwin my batarang close but nothing was working. What was the solution? Shoot the fuse box with your REC through a hole in the wall. DERP

Yup that happened to me too earlier today in the subway. I could see the box through the hole in the gate in front of me and didn't even think about shooting it.

cackhyena

I haven't played in over a month. I wanted to save any leftover extra stuff and NG + for when/if new story DLC came out. The last riddler trophy I just couldn't get to involved one of the magnetic balls at the bottom of this cage. It looked like I was supposed to throw a ice grenade way down on the water, zip line there and be able to shoot the charge box or whatever it's called from underneath, but no matter where I looked, there was no entry for it. no opening to shoot the box. I just gave up on it.

Sectus

I haven't played in over a month. I wanted to save any leftover extra stuff and NG + for when/if new story DLC came out. The last riddler trophy I just couldn't get to involved one of the magnetic balls at the bottom of this cage. It looked like I was supposed to throw a ice grenade way down on the water, zip line there and be able to shoot the charge box or whatever it's called from underneath, but no matter where I looked, there was no entry for it. no opening to shoot the box. I just gave up on it.
Here's the solution if you wanna know it:
Don't create any ice on the water. Just move as close as water as you can, fire a zip line to the other side, walk on top of the zip line and when you're close to the magnet box you should see there's an opening just above it.

cackhyena

Here's the solution if you wanna know it:
Don't create any ice on the water. Just move as close as water as you can, fire a zip line to the other side, walk on top of the zip line and when you're close to the magnet box you should see there's an opening just above it.

Oh goddammit, for real? Well, thanks. I can't believe I didn't think of that.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I really, REALLY don't understand people's qualms with the game's story and ending.

The ending blew me away. So shocked by how much it resonated with me.

Watching Batman show some remorse and emotion over fake Joker's death was pretty amazing stuff. And then the whole "You want to know something funny? Even after everything you've done, I would have saved you," followed by Joker's dying response: "Actually that is pretty funny." Amazing writing right there. Don't think I'll forget that moment for a long time to come.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say that this game has one of the saddest endings this gen.
Joker's song at the end only solidified this notion.

All in all, this is my GOTY so far, and I honestly found it better than Arkham Asylum in every single way. EVERY. SINGLE. WAY. I know a lot of people were disappointed with the open world gameplay introduced in Arkham City, but I loved it. Had so much more fun with this game.

Right now I'm working on a couple more side missions as well as the rest of the Riddler challenges. Fucking hell, there are so many. Oh, and I can't forget the challenge maps. Jesus, there's so much game here.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I agree, I would put this game as my GOTY easily (even though I was fully expecting to give that award to either Uncharted 3 or MW3, but both those games disappointed me).

I'm playing through on NG+ and I just made it through
Wonder Tower
. My god that entire thing is a massive pain in the ass, from the brawls to that dumbass predator room at the end. So glad that's out of the way.

I've only ever 1000/1000'ed one game on 360, and that was Mass Effect 2 (even beat it on Insanity, and that was freaking painful). However I'm feeling like doing it again for Arkham City. The one thing that I think is going to piss me off are the campaigns, and damn if I haven't raged hard at this game enough already. Don't know if I will be able to take it. Time will tell.

iirate

Definitely agree with Boogie on all fronts. AA was in contention (with Crysis and maybe a couple of others) for my game of the gen, and then AC blew it away. I didn't have high hopes for the story, as it was a pretty weak part of AA IMO, but man did AC's story exceed my wildest expectations. All of the moments touched upon in Boogie's post resonated with me similarly, and I love all of the attention to detail and hints towards the larger story elements.

Dany

Banned
The batman beyond skin has to be my favorite, the costume looks like "a costume" and I like how the cape hides.

Also it's tight

To 100% the game, do I have to do the predator challenges without the indicators?

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
The combat in this game is just fucking phenomenal.

I keep going back to the challenge rooms over and over, it's just too much fun.

scitek

I love having the option of using my custom ini and cranking up the effects in DX11 and capping it at 30fps for single player, and then firing up DX9 for 60fps in the Challenge Rooms. Helps a lot with input lag.

EDIT: I just got a patch on Steam.

Release notes:
We have just released a patch for Batman: Arkham City PC that provides fixes a variety of DX 11 issues, as well as fixes for a few other non-DX 11 related issues. The DX 11 fixes will apply for the majority of players, however, some specific Steam users will experience issues when running under DX 11.
With this latest patch, Steam users with the following Windows Operation Systems should avoid running the game under DX 11 until further notice:
- Windows Vista 32 bit
- Windows 7 32 bit
Users running Windows 7 32 bit or Windows Vista 32 bit should ONLY use DX 9 settings until a future patch that addresses this specific issue is released. We are actively working to address the remaining issue tied to DX 11 for users running 32 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7.
Major fixes that this patch addresses are listed below.
- Performance / hitching issues have been greatly improved for running in DX 11.
- An issue with players running out of Video Memory or encountering a Rendering Thread Exceptions has been address. This was primarily affecting 32-bit Operating Systems.
- A progression block after defeating Ra&#8217;s Al Ghul has been fixed. This was issue occurred primarily on lower end computer setups and described as Batman not readying his Reverse Batarang.
- A crash that occurred when scrolling between the Character Bios and Arkham City Stories has been fixed.
- A crash that occurred when selecting &#8220;Press Start&#8221; immediately when available at the Title Screen has been fixed. The issue was described as crashing/hard locking around the DLC (Downloadable Content) check.
Thank you all for your patience.

Top Bottom