• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Sober

They really could release a Catwoman or single player DLC and I'd buy it.

Also anyone know a site on how to complete some of the step on Riddler challenge lights.
The pressure pads? You need to keep your feet off anything else (i.e. you can only step on the pressure pads). It means you pretty much need to use some variation of the line launcher, glide+glide off wall or grapnel boost to reach each one.

also, some trophy cages have multiple pads; look at the cage because they usually tell you how the pressure pads are laid out.

I have a love/hate relationship with this game. Sometimes I love the game, and sometimes I just want the developers to go bankrupt.

I'm doing the Lost City Extreme predator map with Robin, and one of the medals says:

Use the snap flash on a stunned henchman and then use it to knock down another henchman.

Well I did this twice and still didn't get the medal. I did exactly the following:

1) Stun a henchman with the pole stun (press B once).
2) Immediately afterward, press LT+B to quickfire plant a snap flash on the stunned henchman.
3) Quickly grapple onto a gargoyle and hide in the alcove at the beginning of the game.
4) Wait for a different henchman to run by the henchman I just planted. Then detonate just as they cross paths. They both go down, and yet there's no medal. I've done this twice with no medal.

I am fucking done for tonight.

edit: I lied, I wasn't done for tonight. For anyone who's wondering, I figured out what I was doing wrong. Scratch that - the developers were just being massive cunts when describing the medal. ANYWAY, their definition of stunned for this medal is "dazed while lying flat on the ground." So you need to either glide kick from a vantage point, drop attack from a vantage point, or triple pole stun to get them dazed/stunned while lying flat on the ground. And THEN you plant the snap flash.

I don't particularly care for the structure of the predator challenge rooms. The objectives you have to accomplish for the medals are way too contrived, particularly in the extreme rooms, and they usually just end up making me sit around on a garoyle for 5 minutes trying to find a way to create the situation I need. The combat rooms are much better. They're still frustrating, but in a good way because you know it's your own fault when you make mistakes and it feels SO FUCKING GOOD when you perform the combat in this game perfectly.

Sober

I don't particularly care for the structure of the predator challenge rooms. The objectives you have to accomplish for the medals are way too contrived, particularly in the extreme rooms, and they usually just end up making me sit around on a garoyle for 5 minutes trying to find a way to create the situation I need. The combat rooms are much better. They're still frustrating, but in a good way because you know it's your own fault when you make mistakes and it feels SO FUCKING GOOD when you perform the combat in this game perfectly.
If there weren't interesting predator challenge medals then it would mostly boil down (at least for me) to doing silent takedowns mixed with the odd inverted and maybe a glide kick or two near the end.

Also it is outrageously fun to fuck with the goons in interesting ways. I also thought End of the Line extreme was interesting because it was all armoured goons.

Lost City extreme though is pissing me off because of bulletproof, and I have yet to try Top of the World extreme, which I assume is equally hard.

If there weren't interesting predator challenge medals then it would mostly boil down (at least for me) to doing silent takedowns mixed with the odd inverted and maybe a glide kick or two near the end.

Also it is outrageously fun to fuck with the goons in interesting ways. I also thought End of the Line extreme was interesting because it was all armoured goons.

Lost City extreme though is pissing me off because of bulletproof, and I have yet to try Top of the World extreme, which I assume is equally hard.

I don't know what the alternative would be, but I don't really like having to do absurd things. I feel like sometimes I organically come up with clever takedown strategies when I'm actually playing the rooms, but the things they have you do usually don't flow very well. Typically they'll set one up for you, like a double ledge takedown or an inverted takedown through glass, but you have to exploit the stupid AI in goofy ways to make the others happen.

Can't believe this Catwoman shit is considered a privilege. all i wanna do is skip it and go back to doing side missions with batman now that i beat the main story, but i gotta do this terrible stealth section with a super gimped catwoman. le sighhh

Just beat it. I don't get the people who say the ending came about abruptly. The final act clearly revealed itself as the layers of who was working with/for whom were pealed back. Or is everyone talking about the brevity of the final cinema. What else could they have said? It was over. Besides, I'm not a comics person but don't all of those stories bleed into the next? One thing I really like about these two games is how they're serialized yet stand on their own - similar to the two newest Bond movies. They're leaving it open for Round Three...

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Just beat it. I don't get the people who say the ending came about abruptly. The final act clearly revealed itself as the layers of who was working with/for whom were pealed back. Or is everyone talking about the brevity of the final cinema. What else could they have said? It was over. Besides, I'm not a comics person but don't all of those stories bleed into the next? One thing I really like about these two games is how they're serialized yet stand on their own - similar to the two newest Bond movies. They're leaving it open for Round Three...

You are a smart person.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I am 5 hours in and I'm not liking what they did with the riddles, other than that its so good. Coming from the crappy Uncharted 3 melee to this is makes it feel so much better

Seda

I'm going to start this game tomorrow. Any general tips for a new player? I don't care about being spoiled too much.

Jintor

Lol. There's going to be an angry mob when Jintor comes back and says that he meant he was raging because you can't cancel the move.

Please let it be true.

Oops lol

Yup.

I'm pretty sure you can't cancel any moves whatsoever. It's balanced that anyway. If you could cancel the ground pound you'd have no reason to not try to do them all the time, since they're worth so many points.

I thought they were only worth 75 or so?

Sectus

I think they should have been able to make a new scoring system which also encourages to do special moves. I think the current system is kinda whacky since once you've gotten all 3 medals, the best tactic isn't to be stealthy anymore, it's to run right at the remaining enemies to take them down asap.

Maybe some kind of scoring system would work where you get penalties for taking damage and for being spotted, while also getting some bonus points for using varied and special takedowns.

Jintor

Urgh, I keep getting screwed over by the combat system doing things I don't expect.

Things like a grapple-takedown also downing anybody nearby if they're occupying the same space as an opponent, or being unable to effectively differentiate at a glance the difference between KO'd thugs and temporarily disorientated thugs.

It's one of my favourite combat systems of all time, but there's still room for improvement...

Dabanton

I'm going to start this game tomorrow. Any general tips for a new player? I don't care about being spoiled too much.

Do the AR challenges ASAP. So you get the Grapple Boost, it's a incredibly important tool for moving across the city at speed.

Do them backwards so hardest to easier first.

Dabanton

I want Nightwing Story DLC missons in the city such a bad ass character. Did the Wayne manor armoury room with him the other night and the amount of Tyger guards the game throws at you was ridiculous but his moves were too good for them.

Dat stun stick.

Madrical

Banned
Sweet, finally downloaded it on Steam (thank you Australian quotas) and found out it's pretty broken. Horrible frames, out of sync audio, really bad audio stuttering and GFWL is dreadful.

Will wait for DX11 patch.

*back to Skyrim*

Dina

The rapid-fire introductions of Two-Face, Cat, Strange, Ivy, Joker, Quinn, Bane, Zsazs, Penguin and then Freeze sure is getting old fast. Not enjoying this as much as AA, but a surprising large margin.

The city also seems to serve no purpose except space out the 'main' buildings and feature hundred of collectibles.

So, I've encountered a bug where I cannot leave the GCPD because the electric gate you have to shoot to get in won't open again to let me out.

Am I fucked?

Elixist

finished this a couple nights ago, id rate it a 8/10, i like AA alot better. I'd much prefer just a linear game thru Museum esque levels (which was a fucking awesome level). The open world is boring, i dont really care about riddler shit which is pretty much all there is to do, besides random fighting or listening to bad guys say samish shit that sound like im right next to them when im 300 ft in the air. I had alot of fun with it i just feel llike convoluted is the key thing i would say about it. Theres not the same satisfaction for me as there was in AA, hard for me to put my finger on it tho.

The good:

Combat system is great, discourages button mashing, encourages watching whats going on

Graphics are pretty and fairly varied, the world is detailed and grimy, with neon lights to make things stand out. Reminds me of Batman forever asthetic.

Most of the indoor levels like the Museum and Steel Mill are fantastic, with good pacing of battles, puzzles, boss fights.

Mr. Freeze, cool fight, and the only villain I though was neat, but then hes underused :(

The bad:

The open world parts, yay i can fly really fast with a bad framerate to get to the next thing im supposed to do on the map. yawn.

The villains are just kinda lame this time around, Jokers played out, Two Face is not interesting. Same Gears ish looking mobs.

The batman himself seems kinda dorky or something in this, i mean like in cutscenes and watnot wasnt feeling his character as much as in AA

Oh joy, my electric shit bug has returned for the elevator after the gladiator fight.

In case anyone ever gets the same: tapping L2 and hitting O (basically the quick version) works for me 90% on doors. Shit is mad broke for this fucking elevator, though.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
W00t, got all the riddler trophies and gold starred all the combat challenge maps. Thought I'd get a steam achievement :(

Scapegoat

Oh joy, my electric shit bug has returned for the elevator after the gladiator fight.

In case anyone ever gets the same: tapping L2 and hitting O (basically the quick version) works for me 90% on doors. Shit is mad broke for this fucking elevator, though.
What is the bug? Are you sure you are using gun correctly? There are two fire buttons when aiming, one creates an attraction charge and the other a repelling charge.

Just pointing this out because it took me way to long to figure out!

What is the bug? Are you sure you are using gun correctly? There are two fire buttons when aiming, one creates an attraction charge and the other a repelling charge.

Just pointing this out because it took me way to long to figure out!

Yeah I figured that out shortly after posting. Thanks for making me feel like an idiot, Batman. :(

Orin GA

I am trying to perform the "Venting Anger" in the predator mission, but it doesn't register. I am assuming its just crawling into a vent and taking them down when the prompt comes up, but nothing...

Shepard

I just bought the game, been playing it since but OMG it is awesome! :eek:
I'm seriously amazed by how fluid bat's movements are, it's like spider-man meets assassins creed, except better.

Torraz

finished this a couple nights ago, id rate it a 8/10, i like AA alot better. I'd much prefer just a linear game thru Museum esque levels (which was a fucking awesome level). The open world is boring, i dont really care about riddler shit which is pretty much all there is to do, besides random fighting or listening to bad guys say samish shit that sound like im right next to them when im 300 ft in the air. I had alot of fun with it i just feel llike convoluted is the key thing i would say about it. Theres not the same satisfaction for me as there was in AA, hard for me to put my finger on it tho.

The good:

Combat system is great, discourages button mashing, encourages watching whats going on

Graphics are pretty and fairly varied, the world is detailed and grimy, with neon lights to make things stand out. Reminds me of Batman forever asthetic.

Most of the indoor levels like the Museum and Steel Mill are fantastic, with good pacing of battles, puzzles, boss fights.

Mr. Freeze, cool fight, and the only villain I though was neat, but then hes underused :(

The bad:

The open world parts, yay i can fly really fast with a bad framerate to get to the next thing im supposed to do on the map. yawn.

The villains are just kinda lame this time around, Jokers played out, Two Face is not interesting. Same Gears ish looking mobs.

The batman himself seems kinda dorky or something in this, i mean like in cutscenes and watnot wasnt feeling his character as much as in AA

Agree, except for the fact that I liked the villains a bit more. I liked having some more "traditional" boss fight encounters rather than beating up 50 of the bosses henchmen and calling it a day.

MNC

Okay, I'm going to start again soon. What is the safest way NOT to get saves corrupted. Playing with an offline account on GFWL? My being pissed off has been diminished a bit and it's batman, so.

Torraz

Okay, I'm going to start again soon. What is the safest way NOT to get saves corrupted. Playing with an offline account on GFWL? My being pissed off has been diminished a bit and it's batman, so.

Always 'quit' to the main menu before shutting down the game and/or console. Be sure not to exit the game / console after dying (and the villain-mocking-you scene).

So far 3 hours in, and I haven't experienced any issues so far using highest settings/DX11. Running:

-Core i7 965 3.8GHz
-GTX 580 3GB
-8GB DDR3 Ram OC
-120GB SSD

^Could be the reason, but so far pleasantly surprised.

Orin GA

Arghh, the "Venting Anger" is still not registering. NOW IM GONNA VENT MY ANGER!
What am i doing wrong?

GQman2121

Banned
Arghh, the "Venting Anger" is still not registering. NOW IM GONNA VENT MY ANGER!
What am i doing wrong?

Throw a sonic batarang into the room with the windows and then get behind the wall and wait by the vet. As soon as you're prompted, press triangle or Y and bats will leap out of the vet and take down the thug.

Jintor

Yeah, that was a tricky one. Positioning thugs is really annoying, the only way I really know how is to knockout smash or sonic batarang.

I'm getting there: only the Robin campaign challenges remain. I finished the Nightwing campaigns and blew threw the Robin ranked challenges today. I already know Natural Selection Extreme is going to be a massive headache in Robin campaigns. But hey, End of the Line Extreme is actually easy! Hell, the Steel Mill level is harder.

Is that the Steel Mill extreme predator map? You have to be behind a vent grate, not an open vent as far as I can tell.
Yes, you have to be behind an unopened grate for it to count.

mr stroke

Finished this on PC today, no problems outside of shit Dx11 performance.

While AC is amazing, I still feel AA is the better game-better boses, side scrolling levels, and no open world make it the better game. The open world in AC feels pointless, the side missions suck and you end up grappling hooking from one story point to the next. I would have preferred this set up as an Uncharted style narrative. Just make the game levels and connect them with cut scenes.

Derrick01

Banned
Finished this on PC today, no problems outside of shit Dx11 performance.

While AC is amazing, I still feel AA is the better game-better boses, side scrolling levels, and no open world make it the better game. The open world in AC feels pointless, the side missions suck and you end up grappling hooking from one story point to the next. I would have preferred this set up as an Uncharted style narrative. Just make the game levels and connect them with cut scenes.

How could you think AA had better bosses? There was only 1 real fight and that was Poison Ivy, the rest were variants of those Titans.
Freeze
alone is better than every boss in AA.

I'll agree the open world was rather pointless which made me put up with pointless stuttering the entire game. BUT, I want the next Batman to be open world again. They just need to learn to put more sidequests in and make them better. It can be amazing if Rocksteady knew how to make an open world game.

I also want 700-800 Riddler secrets next time.

Top Bottom