• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
shadyspace said:
Is IGN giving out a 10 some sort of big deal?
I want this game to be one of the highest rated games on metacritic. So yes, this is important. (at least for me)

uGoVY.jpg

YeVyL.jpg

Sober

jackdoe said:
Definitely. It isn't the fact that he's virtually indestructible (which can be solved very easily, either by a "City Destruction Meter" or "Solar Power Meter") but the fact that his move set would break any game design.
I was thinking it might be able to make a Clark Kent RPG where you start 'discovering' new powers when you level up or something. Then I realized he's indestructible since day one anyway.

So if they ever make a Superman game, it would only be a point-and-click adventure.

Sober said:
I was thinking it might be able to make a Clark Kent RPG where you start 'discovering' new powers when you level up or something. Then I realized he's indestructible since day one anyway.

So if they ever make a Superman game, it would only be a point-and-click adventure.

Find the "win" button...

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Sober said:

They should make a superman game where Lex sets up a bunch of floating rings and you have to fly through them to save your friends, or else Lex wins.

nib95

Banned
Last one was really good fun, but didn't quite blow me away. Hoping this one tops it by a good margin, early reviews certainly point to it!

It's still not necessary to spoiler tag the
Nightwing
stuff, right? Also, two new challenge maps and a skin announced:
Wayne Manor, Main Hall, animated Nightwing

Buckethead said:
How does Amazon delivery work?

I have Prime and it says it will arrive on release day.
What time typically? Does it ever come early?
Completely depends on where you're located on the UPS driver's route. It's never come early for me in 6-8 preorders, and only came late once with Gears 3.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's still Metroid style, but with a 'hub world' that is Arkham City. And it really is... well, big. Maybe half the size of about half of Vice City? I don't know about 5 times the size of Arkham Island, but it's pretty damn big. When they say it's somewhere between a linear world and an open world, they're not kidding around, that's exactly how it felt.

Umm, I wouldn't call it GTA style because GTA usually has the missions taking place in the open world itself, whereas Arkham City is more Zelda-styled 'dungeons' or levels or Metroid areas.

As for loading, the only loading that bugged me was taking like 15 seconds to restart on death because (playing through on Hard) there were a few fights where I would just die over and over again. One particular fight took me as near as I can tell about two hours to complete, because I was a stubborn bastard who didn't want to go bug off and get some upgrades and come back. I only ran into one or two instances of loading while in the open world itself, though there are momentary loads when you move between doors and things.

it's interesting that Rocksteady made claims that the game's indoor/outdoor ratio would be flipped to favor the outdoor settings several months ago, and now from what I'm reading, they seem to be employing much of the same formula used in Arkham Asylum.

I think alot of people are confused by RS's bold claim of Arkham City being five times the size of Arkham Island. Are they basically referring to every inch of the game collectively, or mainly the urban landscape in general? You compared AC's size to half the size of Vice City, but I haVen't played Vice City before. How comparible would it be to the 3 outdoor sectors on Arkham Island? That might be more helpful. It's just me, but it seems that the meat of AC's hub map seems to be the courthouse, Ace Chemical's, and Monarch Theatre all clustered into a small area. Im hoping that that's not all there is to the central hub area.

Sn4ke_911

Buckethead said:
Damn age catching up with Mark.

Why is he dressed in black?

Does that mean you know... The Joker ... :(

Edit: NO NO NO they can't do this i mean that would be WTF?

god so hyped.

Bazhard

Banned
Buckethead said:
How does Amazon delivery work?

I have Prime and it says it will arrive on release day.
What time typically? Does it ever come early?
Depends on the route.

The odd thing is ill see UPS deliver a package across the street at 1pm, but i never get my packages till 5-6pm.

fucking ups.

Currently replaying (6th time) PC goty addition in preparation for next week. Weird that it has a whole new set of achievements, but its cool that it gave me incentive to play it again. I love this game.

Linconan

Ok, i've just ordered the Collectors Ed,lol

Can't FUCKING wait till i'm gliding around in 3D!!!!!

*note to Mr Freeze*
If you'd be so kind to chill my ass till the games arrival, thankyou!

:)

Shtof

Sn4ke_911 said:
Yeah the same rumor was for RDR. Not falling for this shit ever again.
And God of War 3. Really, the last games IGN awarded 10s were MGS4 and GTA4. Those were some boring games.

Sn4ke_911

Seriously guys, what do you think about Mark Hamill being dressed in all black?

Could that be a sign?

I don't think that's normal. I mean they were on a gaming event showing off the game. Someone in Hamill's family died?

PCGH had the chance to chat with Ben Wyatt, Technical Director at Rocksteady Studios. He gives us details on the PC advantages of Batman Arkham City.
parks-and-recreation-master-plan-adam-scott_article_story_main.jpg

I'm currently replaying Arkham Asylum for the bajilliontieth time to familiarise myself with Batmanning and, man, I always manage to forget how much I loooove this game. The bit where Joker leaves the doctor and another guy tied up next to one of those giant presents and Batman opens it and it turns out to be a boxing glove on a spring and Batman dodges it because he's the goddam Batman... mmmm.

I gave some serious thought to picking up a copy of the 360 version of the game a couple of weeks ago because I already have the Platinum Trophy on my PS3 version and 1000/1000 on my Steam copy.

Curufinwe

Sn4ke_911 said:
I want this game to be one of the highest rated games on metacritic. So yes, this is important. (at least for me)

Unless you have a bonus on the line, being that worried about MetaCritic scores is kind of strange.

Shtof

kokujin said:
True, but they gave SMG2 a 10, but that game deserved it.
Not really, but whatever floats your boat. Then again, I'm not a fan of scoring games 1-10 or even worse 1-100 like IGN.

1-6 is enough, really, there's not that much difference between games.

Sn4ke_911 said:
Seriously guys, what do you think about Mark Hamill being dressed in all black?

Could that be a sign?

I don't think that's normal. I mean they were on a gaming event showing off the game. Someone in Hamill's family died?

Come on man. You're over thinking and over reacting to almost everything at this point.

Sn4ke_911

GhostBlade said:
You will be happy. That is all I can say ;)

Woah!

VGChampion said:
Come on man. You're over thinking and over reacting to almost everything at this point.

You're right. I just looked him up and he likes to dress in black.

kokujin said:
duh, didn't you see RotJ

Of course.

Sn4ke_911 said:

Why do you people still care about Metacritic? Metacritic is possibly the worst indicator of how good a game is.

Jintor

Sn4ke_911 said:
I want alt. skins for catwoman.

Like this one:

TAS
i-classiccat.jpg

it's

in the game

at the very least as a 3d model

i don't know if catwoman has skins, but based on robin having skins, i'd at least think so

Jintor

crackhead_bob said:
it's interesting that Rocksteady made claims that the game's indoor/outdoor ratio would be flipped to favor the outdoor settings several months ago, and now from what I'm reading, they seem to be employing much of the same formula used in Arkham Asylum.

I think alot of people are confused by RS's bold claim of Arkham City being five times the size of Arkham Island. Are they basically referring to every inch of the game collectively, or mainly the urban landscape in general? You compared AC's size to half the size of Vice City, but I haVen't played Vice City before. How comparible would it be to the 3 outdoor sectors on Arkham Island? That might be more helpful. It's just me, but it seems that the meat of AC's hub map seems to be the courthouse, Ace Chemical's, and Monarch Theatre all clustered into a small area. Im hoping that that's not all there is to the central hub area.

you're going to have to deal with what i can vaguely remember from the fogs of my memory, but the outdoor areas of arkham - the greenhouse, the big area where you have the batmobile, and the caves (?)... at least 5 times bigger than that. So big. There's only a few indoor locations, like... I dunno... 5 or six of them large enough to comprise 'levels'... but Arkham City itself is pretty big. I wouldn't go so far as to say 'fucking huge' because in some of the 'racing' missions (get from one point to another within a time limit) it can take less than three minutes to get from one side to another, but bear in mind that's by dodging every good, grappling like a motherfucker and in general running like your life depended on it.

shit be spread out. The museum and the steel mill at the very very least are at opposite ends of the map and you can't cut across straight between them because of the no-bat zone in the middle

RPGCrazied

All the costumes should be unlockables in the game. Oh well, I'm getting the best one by ordering from gamestop. The one from the animated series. They all will be available at one point, but not for free. That's what sucks. So the new game plus lets you keep all your upgrades, tools, and costumes? Do the enemies get harder? Also, do the costumes show up in cutscenes? I would like to know just how many side missions there are in total too, not just the main story missions.

Top Bottom