• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

FStop7

Banned
I'm surprised there is no demo this time around. The Arkham Asylum demo transformed my personal hype meter from "cautiously optimistic" to "insane, rabid fanboy". I must have played through over 20 times trying to perfect the brawl and gargoyle room takedowns.

FStop7 said:
I'm surprised there is no demo this time around. The Arkham Asylum demo transformed my personal hype meter from "cautiously optimistic" to "insane, rabid fanboy". I must have played through over 20 times trying to perfect the brawl and gargoyle room takedowns.

I'm guessing because it's much more of a known quantity this time. They needed to prove Arkham Asylum to the world but everyone who's played AA doesn't need anymore convincing.

German games are only with German language right?
I live at the border with Germany, and it's no big deal to pick up it up in Germany.
Don't wanna hurt nobody's feelings but Batman talking German sounds not very awesome to me. Or are there any language options?

8bit

Knows the Score
Steve McQueen said:
I live at the border with Germany, and it's no big deal to pick up it up in Germany.
Don't wanna hurt nobody's feelings but Batman talking German sounds not very awesome to me. Or are there any language options?

Nope, usually depends on the language of your console. If the disc doesn't support it, you can usually download the language pack. I am playing a German boxed version in English.

Ich bin Batman.

Also, I love that you're called Steve McQueen and talking about the German border.

Definity

Has Rocksteady given any word on the reason for the PC delay? I read a few things and never did see anything called out. Is it for more polish or hopes for more console sales or some other stupid PR reason?

Solo said:
Have Rocksteady ever said what the lead platform for AA was/AC is?
It's a UE3 game. I'd assume that they primarily tested it on 360 during development. That doesn't mean it's the lead (as, clearly, developed for PC) but it'll be the one they tested on most. I WOULD ASSUME.

Mr. Sam

As a note on the Beyond skin - and I'm letting out my inner nerd by saying this - I actually hope, and expect, you play as Bruce in that suit. In both the comics and the animated series, you only see Bruce wearing that suit once; as far as I'm aware. It's sort of canon. In the opening scene of Batman Beyond, we see Bruce invade a warehouse in his high tech outfit. He busts in and absolutely wrecks some kidnappers' shit. It all goes awry in a sort of... touching way, but screw you, buy it on iTunes.

Batman Beyond was almost as awesome as the original 90s animated series, particularly when it came to Bruce, who was more of a badass as an old man than he ever was in his youth.

Definity said:
Has Rocksteady given any word on the reason for the PC delay? I read a few things and never did see anything called out. Is it for more polish or hopes for more console sales or some other stupid PR reason?
They have said nothing.

Purely speculation but it seems likely to me to be an attempt to curb piracy in order to push console sales. That's why Ubisoft does it, correct? (Never mind the fact that the 360 version already leaked...) I think the fact that they won't confirm a PC date or talk about whether or not PC is getting any DLC at this point adds to that likelihood, as they all combine to push people who are on the fence between PC & console purchases toward consoles.

Mr. Sam said:
As a note on the Beyond skin - and I'm letting out my inner nerd by saying this - I actually hope, and expect, you play as Bruce in that suit. In both the comics and the animated series, you only see Bruce wearing that suit once; as far as I'm aware. It's sort of canon. In the opening scene of Batman Beyond, we see Bruce invade a warehouse in his high tech outfit. He busts in and absolutely wrecks some kidnappers' shit. It all goes awry in a sort of... touching way, but screw you, buy it on iTunes.

Batman Beyond was almost as awesome as the original 90s animated series, particularly when it came to Bruce, who was more of a badass as an old man than he ever was in his youth.

It's just a re-skin. It's not going to be canon or have any story information at all. I expect when you play story mode in the suit, you'll still see Bruce in the default suit during pre-rendered cutscenes.

Struct09

Definity said:

They supposedly needed a few extra weeks to optimize it: http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...e-PC-version-DX11-tessellation-and-more/News/

As you might know, the PC version of Batman Arkham City from Warner/Rocksteady comes a little bit later than the console parts. Word is that Rocksteady needs "several weeks" overtime for optimizing the PC part.

magnificent83 said:
Loved it but the voiceover felt really off, like the actions versus the tone just didn't sync, I am just nitpicking because I am so hyped for this game but I really hope there is a way to turn that off

I know what you mean, it's pretty much expositional dialogue meant to talk to the player.

magnificent83 said:
Loved it but the voiceover felt really off, like the actions versus the tone just didn't sync, I am just nitpicking because I am so hyped for this game but I really hope there is a way to turn that off

I think its just a tutorial section for silent predator. The voice acts as guidance. I doubt you will hear Batman talk at every predator section.

Mr. Sam

magnificent83 said:

That looked like a tutorial level; I'd imagine it's just for that.

Kinyou

Steve McQueen said:
I have a pretty save confimation that the english language is also on the German version. You probably will just have to change your consoles system language as usual.

Lifejumper said:
I think its just a tutorial section for silent predator. The voice acts as guidance. I doubt you will hear Batman talk at every predator section.
Yeah the same thing happened in Arkham Asylum whenever you first approached something new. It's like hearing Batman's thoughts, and it's at times when they need to explain an instadeath scenario, like the first time you approached armed thugs in AA.

Bloodsent

krameriffic said:
Yeah the same thing happened in Arkham Asylum whenever you first approached something new. It's like hearing Batman's thoughts, and it's at times when they need to explain an instadeath scenario, like the first time you approached armed thugs in AA.

I think the reason it sounded off for me was because it didn't sound like Kevin Conroy (who also did AA), or at least when I first heard it I questioned whether it was really him or a sound-alike.

augmental

Guevara said:
I will buy this and then throw out the Nos, whatever the fuck that is. Sounds awful. At least I only have to buy 1.

EDIT2 - NOS points supposedly expire after 90 days...should be good to get that skin

EDIT - not on the NOS Rewards catalog until Tuesday...also it says that my 'Point Tracker' expires on Monday, so maybe I get to keep the point...not sure what a Point tracker is

I just bought a NOS, entered my code and got 1 point...but there is no BATMAN BEYOND skin available as a reward :/ And it says my point will expire on Monday, awesome. Guess I should have waited until Tuesday to enter my code :/

Mr. Sam

Inferno313 said:
It's just a re-skin. It's not going to be canon or have any story information at all. I expect when you play story mode in the suit, you'll still see Bruce in the default suit during pre-rendered cutscenes.

Yeah, I know. I totally get that. But in my head, I'll be 50-year-old Bruce at the tail-end of his career, kicking ass and taking names. You can't take my imagination away from me!

Zeth said:
When does review embargo end? Any clues to 360 vs PS3 performance?

I believe it's tomorrow. Don't quote me but I thought I heard 6 AM EST.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, it's in the OP. And it's 6 AM Pacific, 9 AM eastern.

Man, I wanna see this as an alternate skin for AC... Mass Effect Batman:

Batman_beautyShot.jpg

Batman_PresentationShot.jpg

Mr. Sam said:

I think he puts it on once again later to save Terry's ass or something... I might be making that up though. I have this strong gut feeling that I've seen Bruce in the outfit outside of that one introductory scene...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
That Mass Effect Batman... don't really dig the front view, but that cape is one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time. Since you play the game primarily with the back view of the character... that's probably the best alternate skin yet. Looks fucking awesome. And I'm hard to please.

Front view is meh but the cape and shit are sick. Holy crap.

Mr. Sam

brucewaynegretzky said:
I think he puts it on once again later to save Terry's ass or something... I might be making that up though.

I remember him saving Terry's ass but I'm pretty sure he does it in some huge mech or something. You know, so he doesn't give himself a heart attack.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
krameriffic said:

The thing I liked about it in the 1st game, was that the inner monologue was closer to Bruce Wayne's voice, rather than Batman's voice. A subtle touch.

Mr. Sam

Lonestar said:
The thing I liked about it in the 1st game, was that the inner monologue was closer to Bruce Wayne's voice, rather than Batman's voice. A subtle touch.

Conroy had a distinct "Bruce Wayne voice" in the animated series, but I don't recall him using it in AA.

Blizzard

Banned
Mr. Sam said:
I remember him saving Terry's ass but I'm pretty sure he does it in some huge mech or something. You know, so he doesn't give himself a heart attack.
If I recall correctly, he put on the huge mech oversuit to save Terry from the inky slime girl who was tentacle-raping his mouth, spraying water from a fire hose to wash her away. I think the cartoon indicated that he put the mech suit on in SPITE of the danger of a heart attack, but fortunately he didn't have one.

Vire

Buckethead said:
Is there still a "Press X" to collect whatever?

I don't want to accidentally collect something in this massive game.

O-o
Yep! Still press X to collect the trophies. I saw it in one of the videos.

Not sure why you wouldn't want to get them though. :p

Top Bottom