• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Shurs said:
So, do the Riddler trophies have any in-game value -- like the agility orbs in Crackdown or the blast shards in inFamous?
e-penis.

And finding them was a game in itself in AA.

Sn4ke_911 said:
I'll say it again. SKYWARD SWORD will be a huge contender. Don't underestimate it!
Zelda games are always worth considering, not only they sport good quality design but there's a huge nostalgic factor that favors them with critics. That been said Skyward Sword is behind the times, no clever art style can mask its graphical limitations. To top the games we are mentioning the gameplay would have to be something revolutionary to offset its shortcomings, for what i see its a marginal improvement from past Zelda games.

So i see Arkham City topping Zelda with the critics this year.
DoctorWho said:
Assassin's Creed II was may GOTY in 2009. Considering the competition that was a very big deal. With the AC2 sequels, they've killed some of my love for that original game and the franchise.
I understand that feeling DoctorWho. The studio deserves credit because they take great care of the franchize by improving the games year after year, it's not like some lazy port to cash in.

S1kkZ

Shurs said:
So, do the Riddler trophies have any in-game value -- like the agility orbs in Crackdown or the blast shards in inFamous?
you unlock challenge rooms, artworks, audio tapes, additional background information (story files), 3d character models and xp.

gdt

Ugh. Still debating whether or not to get to Kmart and pick up the 360 version tomorrow morning. Damn you PC version.

Shurs said:

Riddler Trophies unlock challenge maps.

You gotta catch'em all.

zlatko said:

I saw some issues but it wasn't too bad this time around. There were points when the cutscenes would just stall as they were transitioning to another event. It seems more like UE3 problem than Rocksteady. I've seen it in other UE3 games.

zlatko

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Ugh. Still debating whether or not to get to Kmart and pick up the 360 version tomorrow morning. Damn you PC version.

A good way to look at it is what your plans for other releases are the rest of the holiday season. Are you buying BF3 on PC? If so, you can probably just hold out 1 week to get into BF3 and ride that out till other November releases and the eventual Batman release too.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
mJgOn.png

Marco1

gdt5016 said:
The GFWL and delay made me preorder for xbox360.
To many awesome games out at the same time as PC arkham city.

Shurs

S1kkZ said:
you unlock challenge rooms, artworks, audio tapes, additional background information (story files), 3d character models and xp.

So, as the character of Batman in Arkham City, there's no true motivation to go collect them.

That's a shame.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great as a means to expand the experience, but my favorite types of collectibles are the ones that actually make sense within the game world.

Jintor

DoctorWho said:
That sucks.

I'm in Canada.

*gallifrey jibe*

Shurs said:
So, as the character of Batman in Arkham City, there's no true motivation to go collect them.

That's a shame.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great as a means to expand the experience, but my favorite types of collectibles are the ones that actually make sense within the game world.

Look, are you smarter than the Riddler or what?

Shurs said:

That's a shame.

In Asylum you collect the Riddler Trophies to lead him on and buy time to trace his broadcast signal then contact G.C.P.D and they arrest him. Is there nothing like that now?

S1kkZ

Shurs said:
oh, batman has a motivation. cant go into detail without spoiling (but i am pretty sure this was already in some of the trailers).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Truant said:
Does the PC version of AA come with native 360 pad support? If so I'm heading to Steam RIGHT NOW.

...to discover you can't yet pre-order the game! (The nvidia codes activate just fine despite the game being late to the Steam store, by the way.)

Edit: Wait, I misread your post. Derp.

Nemesis_

I think some of the villains are probably going to be exclusive to the Catwoman scenarios, particularly
Poison Ivy
. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Shurs said:

That's a shame.

I thought collecting the Riddler trophies made sense to how Riddler works, especially considering part of those were puzzles/riddles to figure out. The payoff once you get them all was hilarious and worth searching for them every bit.

S1kkZ

Lifejumper said:
For those who have finished it. How are the boss fights in this game?

Spoiler- free impressions if possible.
better than in aa, some are pretty cool. nothing groundbreaking but also much less annoying.

Lifejumper said:
For those who have finished it. How are the boss fights in this game?

Spoiler- free impressions if possible.

The first big one wasn't that good but the rest were fine. Not memorable though, save a couple.

There's one really great boss fight that requires you to use various different skills from your arsenal to beat.
You can only use each strategy once since the opponent quickly adapts to your strategy.
Very well done.

The final boss fight is much, much better than AA.

Jintor

DoctorWho said:
The first big one wasn't that good but the rest were fine.

There's one really great boss fight that requires you to use various different skills from your arsenal to beat.
You can only use each strategy once since the opponent quickly adapts to your strategy.
Very well done.

The final boss fight is much, much better than AA.

Yeah, the boss fight in the middle you are talking about became one of my faves once I figured out how I was supposed to approach it.

Wasn't as big a fan of the last boss fight tbh.

S1kkZ

DoctorWho said:
The first big one wasn't that good but the rest were fine.

Very well done.

i loved that fight. too bad that the game helped me after a while and (more or less) showed me what i had to do...
but besides that: really awesome bossfight.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
mrklaw said:
does this need me to have played the first one? Still sitting there in my huge Steam backlog.
From what I've heard it doesn't need it but I highly, highly recommend you play the first. It's one of the best games of the generation.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
RoboPlato said:
From what I've heard it doesn't need it but I highly, highly recommend you play the first. It's one of the best games of the generation.

ok, cool. Makes sense too, as it'll save me some money, and give me a feel for whether I'd get the PC version or PS3 version of AC.

S1kkZ said:
i loved that fight. too bad that the game helped me after a while and (more or less) showed me what i had to do...
but besides that: really awesome bossfight.

It felt more like a Metal Gear Solid fight. Might have been the map layout.

Definity

How the hell can I hold off of buying the console version and wait for the PC version. This is f'n killing me. Must be strong.

andthebeatgoeson

May not be the best place to put it but thought I would get an answer first:
Playing thru AA for the 1st time. Is there any good thing about replaying AA besides just replaying a good game? Thinking about replaying then picking up AC later.

Tsukumo

BY2K said:
animation4.2rr4i.gif

I love how 90% of the room just leaves.

I really wish in New Game+ the amount of thugs in that sequence will double. At least.
To tell you the truth, I wish for all of them to stay. New Game+ shall be endless...

Hari Seldon

Well I broke down and bought the game on PS3 since amazon has the $10 thing. I was going to wait for PC version but I'll just wait for some future steam sale to double dip.

Top Bottom