• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Really, I believe that Batman in AA/AC is as close a realization of Comic Batman (fighting wise). Not even cartoon Batman this feral.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Lifejumper said:
Wonder if they will premiere their sequel at this year VGA's like Arkham City. That would be funny.
I don't think they'll have had anywhere near enough time. With AA it was obvious that they had already had AC planned as the sequel since there are several hints to it and they had a few months of sales doing better than expected to throw together that trailer. I highly doubt that they have as focused of an idea for a sequel this time or if they even have enough time to make a trailer.

Ragus

Banned
VindictiveGnome said:
I'll think about it. It will most likely be a yes, though. Do you have to have the paid version of the powerup rewards to get the costume? Or can you get it with the free version?

The shop in which I bought AC is said to give out a free copy of this DLC to every steelbox preorder, so I guess that this powerup reward doesn't concern me.

Bless them for doing a PC version, but damn them for delaying it. ;_;

I almost talked myself into buying the 360 version of Arkham City; I downloaded the 360 demo of Arkham Asylum after just playing through it on the PC. Good God, I could not believe how bad the 360 version looked in comparison! So much aliasing, and my 1680x1050 monitor either stretches games or puts bars on the top and bottom of the screen. (I should really get a 1080p monitor)

I even went back to my other 360 games to make sure they were still playable. Halo Reach was pretty bad, but thankfully EDF 2017 still holds up (at least in the IQ department) and many of my arcade games are pretty good with the exception of Stacking. The low framerate, depth of field, and aliasing gave me a headache after a few minutes.

The PC version of Arkham City better be getting the DLC, because I can't do console versions anymore and I don't want to wait a year for a GOTY edition.

Ragus said:
The shop in which I bought AC is said to give out a free copy of this DLC to every steelbox preorder, so I guess that this powerup reward doesn't concern me.
Oh, Gamestop is offering the TAS skin as a preorder bonus. I'm just not sure if you have be a paid powerups reward customer or just a free one. Can anyone answer that?

Nightz

Question about Arkham Asylum, with spoiler tags just in case:

I just
created the antidote for Titan and am heading to the Botanical Gardens
, how much longer do I have until the end of the game? I'd like to finish this before I pick up Arkham City tomorrow.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Nightz said:

I just
, how much longer do I have until the end of the game? I'd like to finish this before I pick up Arkham City tomorrow.
About 3/4, I think. You can definitely finish the main story today.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Nightz said:

I just
You're close to the end. I'd say you have at least an hour left. Maybe more if the bosses give you some trouble.

RPGCrazied

How is hard mode? Challenge or brutal? I did normal with AA, never tried its hard mode. But I'd like to get all the easy/normal/hard trophies in one game.

Vire

Game Launch: Messages from Rocksteady

Rocksteady said:
Hi all,

Wow, it has been over 2 years and it is with incredible pride we have watched all the amazing review scores come in and with amazing excitement we can say it is Batman: Arkham City launch week!!

Rocksteady is a UK based developer full of incredibly hard working talented staff from our QA team right up to Sefton Hill and our producers. Here are some messages from the team:

ALICK GOLDENBERG

Arkham City is the product of a lot of love and hard work by a lot of people and I hope everyone enjoys playing this game as much as we enjoyed making it. There’s so much to see and do in there, my advice is to take your time, immerse yourself in the atmosphere and detail of the city and get involved with the Riddler trophies and side stories- there’s some fantastic content there.

Thanks for the support!

SHEA RICHARDS (technical animator)

Working on BM:AC has been a magical experience. My job has been primarily to support the animation teams every technical whim in the most imaginative and yet efficient way possible. It was been a tough learning curve, but I am grateful for the experience. It has been an honour to serve with the animators and indeed the whole team of highly skilled and talented people here at Rocksteady.

The hype and support of the community and fans has been a morale booster of incomparable proportion, in the darkest times you guys have provided the brightest light and always helped me to ground myself when my feet get lifted off the ground.

I am sure you will love playing it as much as I have loved being a part of its epic creation.

DANNY MURDOCK (animator)

I played Arkham Asylum as a fan, but to have the opportunity to be part of Arkham City has been the most fulfilling moment of my career. As an animator it’s so rewarding to be able to bring the memorable characters from the Batman universe to life. It makes all the hard work worth it knowing how much enjoyment the fans will get from playing the game.

DAVE HOUSTON (animator)

Its been an awesome experience working on the animation team for Arkham City, particular highlights for me have been working on Robin

and seeing Rocksteadys unique vision of the character take shape. Its been an animators dream to work on such an athletic and dynamic fighter and I am really looking

forward to fans being able to kick *** as the boy wonder! Working on Batman is almost a double edged sword for me, I loved Arkham Asylum so much that I am slightly jealous of you guys being able to

play through the game fresh on release! Enjoy!

JAMES WICKER (designer)

Hi, I'm James Wicker and I was a Designer on Arkham City. I worked on lots of different areas of the game, including internal locations, side stories, one of the Overworld districts as well as a number of the bosses.

I hope you really enjoy Arkham City and spend as much time as possible fully exploring all of the areas of the game. You never know what you're going to find down those alleys...”

PAUL DENNING (senior gameplay programmer)

Hey Gang,

It might not take as long to play as it did to make but we all really hope you have just as much fun playing it as we did making it. Reading the forums and seeing how eagerly you were all anticipating the game really inspires us to deliver something really special. As my main role is NPC’s and the in-game sequences I can’t talk in depth about most of the things I worked on without spoiling the game for you but I hope you enjoy the Intro, ‘Tiny’, Iceberg lounge and the end game boss amongst many others. We’ll be keeping an eye on the forums to see the reactions so our next product can be even better.

ANDREW ROWSE (senior gameplay programmer)

Arkham City has been the greatest gaming experience I've ever had - I'm proud to have played a part in shaping such an immersive and authentic Batman simulator, and I still love playing this game. I worked on Mr Freeze, helicopters and the in-game UI (forensics, HUD, Cryptographic Sequencer etc), and I'm excited to finally see the public getting to grips with them game in general - and 'my' sections in particular!

I really envy you, getting to play through the game and have the plots and machinations of Arkham City unfold around you. Thanks for all of the enthusiasm and fervour you've shown on the forums since the game was announced. Knowing how much the fans care about receiving a quality Batman game really motivates us to go the extra mile and squeeze in everything we can!

TIM HANAGAN (lead AI programmer)

My name’s Tim Hanagan, Lead AI Programmer, and I’m involved in the design and implementation of Combat, AI, and bosses in the game. I can’t wait to find out how you all feel about the new additions we’ve made. Double/Triple counters, beatdowns, environment counters, aerial attacks, quick use gadgets, new thug types and weapons, new special moves, new player characters, new thug equipment and behaviours for Predator… there’s a big list of improvements and additions, and the bosses are also a real big step up from Asylum. Hopefully you’ll agree that all this hugely increases the depth of the game, and ramps up your ability to really “be” Batman.

I’m expecting you all to post some amazing videos of how you use all the new moves and abilities to humiliate/decimate the AI (and my own scores) in the Riddler challenge maps – can’t wait to see how inventive you lot will be (just a heads up: – “Disarm and Destroy” is your friend). Hearing your reactions to the game so far really makes all the hard work worthwhile, it’s great to be making games loved so much by such a vocal bunch of fans. Cheers guys, enjoy the game!

KARL STJERNBERG (3d asset artist)

I am a 3d-asset artist who have been working at Rocksteady for almost three years. My job includes making props and assets such as weapons, vehicles, signs, statues, gargoyles and such. I do 3D-modelling, texturing and a tiny bit of animation.

It’s been a challenging but really fun time that we have spent working on Batman Arkham City, and I really hope you all enjoy playing it!

ADAM VINCENT (animator)

Its been a pleasure to work with so many talented people on Batman Arkham City. The game has turned out great, just like we always wanted. Lots of hard work and great support from you guys. Thanks to everybody involved in and out of the studio.

IAN BALL (lead designer)

We worked hard creating a really compelling storyline that draws the player in and is full of twists and turns, hopefully you will not have seen any spoilers and can enjoy the game as we intended.

As for me, I can't wait to watch this community grow and for all of you to play the game : you are an incredibly passionate and inspiring group

SarahMay

zlatko said:
Did they fix the lip syncing issues from the first one? It was awful in Asylum because it wasn't even close for any lines of dialogue.
It might have been horrible compared to, say, LA Noire, but it was far from what I would call awful in AA.

AA on PS3 needs to go on sale asap. i REEEEEEAALLY want to finish it before i start AC.

EDIT: ouch, the 3D isn't even stereoscopic. you have to use the glasses they include. poop that. :\

If they make a third game I'd love to see it set in and around Wayne Manor. I think it ties in well to
what Strange knows about Batman/Bruce in AC
and it would literally hit close to home with the villains taking over his parents' estate where he grew up.

Arkham Manor. The name even works.

Melchiah

Finally found a Finnish gamestore which sells the steelbook edition, and luckily the Joker version of it, preordered it immediately.

mzZwC.jpg

XGdMr.jpg

Depending on what characters are on the posters, I could give some or all of them away for fellow Gaffers, if someone's interested. I'll post again here when I've recieved them.

Ephemeris

Melchiah said:
Depending on what characters are on the posters, I could give some or all of them away for fellow Gaffers, if someone's interested. I'll post again here when I've recieved them.

Sign me up!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
So my local store just got the game. With 2 skins (Year One and Batman Beyond). But i'm such a TAS fan so i'll wait for friday.

Melchiah

Mat C said:
Does anyone know anywhere in the UK that's selling the steelbook edition?

Other than Shopto?

Amazon had the Catwoman version, but it was sold out when I checked yesterday. Dunno if they'll have more of them.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So are the costume codes packed inside or...?

I've been too lazy to actually get around to preordering at gamestop, but still want the TAS skin.

Oh god :(

My roommate has been nice enough to lend me his extra flatscreen tv to use in my apartment room for the past few months. Just today he tells me he's going to need it back this weekend

Time to figure out a way to Batman myself into getting another TV somehow even though I'm unemployed and literally every spare dollar I have is going towards the purchase of this game.

SAD. FACE. :(

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Mr. Paer said:

My roommate has been nice enough to lend me his extra flatscreen tv to use in my apartment room for the past few months. Just today he tells me he's going to need it back this weekend

Time to figure out a way to Batman myself into getting another TV somehow even though I'm unemployed and literally every spare dollar I have is going towards the purchase of this game.

How many Kidneys do you have???

;)

Thanks for the install info. I had just cleaned out some installs on my PS3. 16 GB's of space, I Got This.

I'm not sure if I can wait for this Catwoman Install of a couple hundred MB's. So....I'm thinking I'll catch those on New Game +

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Mr. Paer said:

Do you have a computer monitor?

Ephemeris

Mr. Paer said:

Or....
chloroform_summary1.jpg

morningbus said:
Do you have a computer monitor?
Yeah, but I bought the cords to hook my 360 up to it a couple years back and no matter what I tried the sound wouldn't work

Guess I'll just have to try and 100% this game by the weekend :/

Yen

WrathOfOtaibah said:
kjlq1zxtj:tw1

Played 2 hours of it and it is legit, I already like it more than Arkham Asylum. I love how Batman is more agile this time around.
Using your phone to take a photo of a video game, while driving. Nice.

Unai

I said to myself that I would wait the Wii U version, however I just bought a new 1080p 3D TV to replace my old one and I dying to play a game like Batman AC with it. So I'll probably buy it next month for PC and buy it again for wiiU if the controls end up been nice.

Marty Chinn said:
Any news on platform comparisons? Which is better 360 or PS3?

PS3 by far.

lulz

Btw. I know that everyone else knows, but hanging upside down from some ledge, pulling up a bad guy and having the other bad guys completely freak out, while you swing to the next ledge and still hear them lamenting or shooting in the air out of fear, must be the best feeling in a modern videogame.

RPGCrazied

Found the NOS drink. Who drinks this stuff? While not bad, its $1.99 a can! It tastes like carbonated grapefruit juice. I didn't drink it all though, oh well, only did it for the Beyond skin.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Marty Chinn said:
Any news on platform comparisons? Which is better 360 or PS3?
The frame rate is really smooth on the PS3, haven't encountered any technical issues so far. Played for 3 hours or so. What an amazing game this is.

Top Bottom