• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Luthos

JJD said:
As someone who's got a platinum on AA, the challenges are looking really easier now!
Hopefully they still have Extreme sets of each map. Also, the ball-busting equivalent of Shock and Awe (Extreme).

But damn if I don't love the combat challenges. If games have good and fun combat systems, then I love modes that just pit me against a bunch of AI dudes.

Edit: wait, wtf @ 0:18 in the second video. Did he just do a forward back flip jump kick?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Luthos said:
Hopefully they still have Extreme sets of each map. Also, the ball-busting equivalent of Shock and Awe (Extreme).

But damn if I don't love the combat challenges. If games have good and fun combat systems, then I love modes that just pit me against a bunch of AI dudes.

Edit: wait, wtf @ 0:18 in the second video. Did he just do a forward back flip jump kick?

Hahaha, that looks weird as hell, yeah.

Spirit3

Played an hour, did a bit of the challenge maps (sucked i might add) and I can say, this is Batman. AA was near GOTY, AC is going to be a front runner. Now excuse me while I jump in for a marathon run.

hamchan

I like how this year is basically 2009 again. My top 3 of that year were Uncharted 2, Batman AA and Assassin's Creed 2. I expect this year my top 3 will look the same but possibly in a different order, with Portal 2 in there too.

Ashour

Got the game a little early and played it for a few hours. The game is big from the get go and there's always a thing to do between the main missions. Loving It so far.

I think the controls aren't as tight as the last game though, especially the movement. I need to go back to AA to make sure I'm not imagining things.

Oh and there's a patch already.

zlatko

Banned
Did they fix the lip syncing issues from the first one? It was awful in Asylum because it wasn't even close for any lines of dialogue.

Luthos said:

I never managed to get the top medals in the challenge maps in AA; it was one of the few moments in my gaming life where I accepted that I personally cannot do this, and just walked away.

I knew something was up when practically everyone I spoke to had beaten them pretty quick. I beat Demon's Soul, Ninja Gaiden, DMC 3 and other difficult games with no problems, but something about these challenges just did not click with me I guess.

Ashour said:
Got the game a little early and played it for a few hours. The game is big from the get go and there's always a thing to do between the main missions. Loving It so far.

I think the controls aren't as tight as the last game though, especially the movement. I need to go back to AA to make sure I'm not imagining things.

Oh and there's a patch already.

Huh a patch? Do you know what it contains?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Lifejumper said:
Huh a patch? Do you know what it contains?

As far as i know it's only for PS3.

Batman: Arkham City - Patch 1.01 online

Rocksteady has been before the official release of Batman: Arkham City next week Friday released the first patch.

The small 16MB update with version number 1.01 is the first time you start the game now available for download. What exactly is the patch, however, provide unclear.

During our tests we are but minor problems such as dropouts or stop transitions between game and video clips noticed. Even broken savegames were displayed us, which were only loaded after the restart properly. Maybe you have the fixed now.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
immortal-joe said:
I never managed to get the top medals in the challenge maps in AA; it was one of the few moments in my gaming life where I accepted that I personally cannot do this, and just walked away.

I knew something was up when practically everyone I spoke to had beaten them pretty quick. I beat Demon's Soul, Ninja Gaiden, DMC 3 and other difficult games with no problems, but something about these challenges just did not click with me I guess.

I know how you feel. I have all the challenges completed with 3 medals, except for the extreme combat-challenges, I can barely get 2 medals on those. I've tried every tactic I know, and still came up short. I walked away, I just admitted defeat and walked away.

Luthos

Question to those with the game, does it come with any stock alternate costumes, not counting any pre-order crap?

It was only one, but I really liked using the armored Batman in AA.

Ashour

hamchan said:
The enemies sure talk a lot lol. I just stand still and listen to it all because I don't want to miss anything.
Can get annoying though, since they loop the exact same lines every few minutes.

Sn4ke_911

The perfect Dark said:
I got it from Primalgames.de

Sry Gamestop, you lose ;)

Here we go....

Installing...

Ps3...

Congrats man!

I really want that TAS skin so i'll wait for Mediamarkt to get the game.

meh catwoman code not working....:/
hopefully i will be able to install it even when I already play the campaign.
Or do I have to wait until my second playthrough to play as her?

The perfect Dark said:
meh catwoman code not working....:/
hopefully i will be able to install it even when I already play the campaign.
Or do I have to wait until my second playthrough to play as her?

Believe you can also access her missions from the main menu.

Nemesis_

Catwoman achievements are also not working - unlocking them will unlock them on your profile but not globally (on Xbox.com) with the only way to fix it is to recover your gamertag and do the tasks again. Just a heads up.

Anyone got the Robin DLC working on 360? My codes doesn't work - all other four ones do.

Nemesis_

The perfect Dark said:
Thanks, but do I unlock her also in my first playthrough for free-roaming? I hope so... :/

I didn't think her scenarios were free roaming, but rather integrated into the story. For example, the game (opening spoilers)
opens with her stealing information and eventually getting captured by Two Face

Messi

Ephemeris said:
"You can never escape me.
Bullets don’t harm me. Nothing harms me.
But I know pain. I KNOW pain.
Sometimes I share it. With someone like you."

animation4.2rr4i.gif

my first gif. sorry that it's terrible and huge lol

OMG WHAT HAVE YOU DONE??? HNNNGGGHHH

The perfect Dark said:
I got it from Primalgames.de

Sry Gamestop, you lose ;)

Here we go....

Installing...

Ps3...
please give some PS3 impressions if you like.
My main interests: Framerate and Anti aliassing (any visible jaggies?)

The first 30 mins were so slick, amazing to play through.

I'm doing the AR training where you have to shoot downwards then through the tunnel.. fuuuuuck i must have tried this 30 times, still can't do it!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Fix The Scientist said:

I'm doing the AR training where you have to shoot downwards then through the tunnel.. fuuuuuck i must have tried this 30 times, still can't do it!

Fix The Scientist
(Today, 07:49 PM)

hamchan

Fix The Scientist said:

That's the one I'm having trouble with!

I don't get what to do. Are we just sucking or are we missing something?

Oh wow, game tells you about the Catwoman DLC every time you boot it up and you don't have it installed. I wish I could install it game but it's not on the damn PSN store yet.

Gomu Gomu

Sorry for the following question, which I'm sure has been asked like a billion times ITT. But is there a proven superior version among the consoles?

hamchan said:
That's the one I'm having trouble with!

I don't get what to do. Are we just sucking or are we missing something?
I came close one time... missed by about 2 feet, i was bouncing off the walls in the tunnel lol. I'm not sure whether to use R2 and accelerate down the tunnel or glide in with more control.

Sn4ke_911

Gomu Gomu said:
Sorry for the following question, which I'm sure has been asked like a billion times ITT. But is there a proven superior version among the consoles?

No. Gamepro Germany gave both versions 95% Platinum Award and a pro point cause both versions are the same. The only contra point they gave was for the PS3 installation but besides that. No differences.

FBA03EE6D44C2244215B00F6511F434F_x600.jpg

nel e nel

Poimandres said:
You might find something like an improved frame rate superficial, but for some people it can make a significant difference to how a game plays. If you don't care about such things that's fine, but you should also accept that not everyone sees things the same way.

You realize the redundancy of this statement right? I'm not knocking anyone's 'right' to higher framerates or crisper graphics. I was just noting that he himself said very plainly that the PC & Xbox versions of the game played and sounded identical.

I accept everyone's right to experience a game in whatever way they want without resorting to Glorious PC Gaming Master Race comments.

I just watched the Giant Bomb video review. I'm really glad it's still quite a linear game despite the open world setting, that was one of my biggest concerns.

Now I just need to wait for them to RELEASE THE GODDAMN PC VERSION.

:(

Always-honest said:
please give some PS3 impressions if you like.
My main interests: Framerate and Anti aliassing (any visible jaggies?)

Seems on par with 360 (what I've seen from videos) so far. No framerate issues. It looks even better as Arkham Asylum.

Some minor screen tearing here and there. nothing special.

hamchan said:
I like how this year is basically 2009 again. My top 3 of that year were Uncharted 2, Batman AA and Assassin's Creed 2. I expect this year my top 3 will look the same but possibly in a different order, with Portal 2 in there too.
Except it looks like that but in reverse. This year i see Arkham City dominating Uncharted 3. Back them Naughty Dog perfected the Uncharted formula with the second game, this time around is Rocksteady that did the feat. AC:Revelations to me lost some of its luster. My other runner is Skyrim.

sophora

Release tomorrow! Won't be able to afford it till payday this week though. Part of me wants to keep holding out for Black Friday sales or any sales on this but the other part of me is saying "c'mon you loved Batman: AA and it's not like you'll be getting any other game this year!" Damn my multiple-self is going crazy. Might just bite the bullet and get it this weekend and marathon through it.

Sn4ke_911

Refreshment.01 said:
Except it looks like that but in reverse. This year i see Arkham City dominating Uncharted 3. Back them Naughty Dog perfected the Uncharted formula with the second game, this time around is Rocksteady that did the feat. AC:Revelations to me lost some of its luster. My other runner is Skyrim.

I'll say it again. SKYWARD SWORD will be a huge contender. Don't underestimate it!

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Sn4ke_911 said:
No. Gamepro Germany gave both versions 95% Platinum Award and a pro point cause both versions are the same. The only contra point they gave was for the PS3 installation but besides that. No differences.

FBA03EE6D44C2244215B00F6511F434F_x600.jpg

"Zwangsinstallation"

Is that a real word?

Sn4ke_911

neorej said:
"Zwangsinstallation"

Is that a real word?

In German? Yes.

It means you're forced to install the game. If you don't install the game you can't play it.

The perfect Dark said:
Seems on par with 360 (what I've seen from videos) so far. No framerate issues. It looks even better as Arkham Asylum.

Some minor screen tearing here and there. nothing special.
thanx!

neorej said:
"Zwangsinstallation"

Is that a real word?
Yeah :p "Zwang" is "forced"

ehh. beaten

JohngPR

Man, I really hope Sony updates PSN to have the Catwoman stuff tonight. I mean, they have to be cognizant of people going to a midnight launch to play this Tuesday at midnight right?

Refreshment.01 said:

Assassin's Creed II was may GOTY in 2009. Considering the competition that was a very big deal. With the AC2 sequels, they've killed some of my love for that original game and the franchise.

JohngPR said:
Man, I really hope Sony updates PSN to have the Catwoman stuff tonight. I mean, they have to be cognizant of people going to a midnight launch to play this Tuesday at midnight right?

I've had the game since Friday and the Catwoman stuff was available via the code.

Shurs

So, do the Riddler trophies have any in-game value -- like the agility orbs in Crackdown or the blast shards in inFamous?

Top Bottom