• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Salsa

nel e nel said:
So the core experience was identical, the PC version just had nicer curtains. Not all of us are distracted by superficial trappings.

better framerate is hardly superficial.

Red

Multiple control options, higher quality visuals, multi-screen support, PhysX effects, 60fps, cheaper price.

Some are superficial sure, but it's still an objectively superior experience.

Crunched said:
Multiple control options, higher quality visuals, multi-screen support, PhysX effects, 60fps, cheaper price.

Some are superficial sure, but it's still an objectively superior experience.

Don't forget all that in 720p while in 3d.

Red

Kabuki Waq said:
Don't forget all that in 720p while in 3d.
720p? Not sure why not 1080 or even 1600, am I missing something?

I played Arkham Asylum at 5760x1080, but 3D was off.

Arkham City has DX11 support, so that's another bullet point. Might belong in the "superficial" camp, but it's a mighty nice addition all the same.

Fjordson

So the PC version of a new game is technically superior?

Simo said:
Wow. Hadn't seen these before. Ugh. Tomorrow is going to be so long. And what's worse, I played it for like 30 minutes yesterday via a friend's copy. That taste has made the wait even worse.

Edit: Is it just me (it could be because I'm not great) or is this guy pretty damn good? That top video is intense.

Red

Fjordson said:
Edit: Is it just me (it could be because I'm not great) or is this guy pretty damn good? That top video is intense.
Doesn't look like anything special to me. Had to do better than that to get top scores in all AA's challenges.

Luthos

Not trying to downplay Arkham City itself, because it looks like one of the best games of the year. But I also need it because I've been in such a game slump lately. Can't get into anything. Played a bit of GoW 3 and Rage via other people, but I need this game for myself. And I'm gonna ride it straight into UC3 and Skyrim. @_@

Fjordson

Crunched said:
Doesn't look like anything special to me. Had to do better than that to get top scores in all AA's challenges.
Ah, okay. Damn. I was sort of garbage at the first game's challenge rooms, so it is probably just me lol.

Luthos said:
Not trying to downplay Arkham City itself, because it looks like one of the best games of the year. But I also need it because I've been in such a game slump lately. Can't get into anything. Played a bit of GoW 3 and Rage via other people, but I need this game for myself. And I'm gonna ride it straight into UC3 and Skyrim. @_@
Same here. I liked Gears enough, but I'm not a big multiplayer guy and I didn't love Rage. Been in a slump since Deus Ex.

stupid_dad said:
Eb games Australia just said on facebook page that game has broken street date...going to pick mine up in 2 hours

Happy days
I am going to investigate this possibility. I got the PC version of AA a day early from Best Buy and, while I really do want to play the game on the PC, I don't want to wait an unspecified amount of time to do it, so I might just grab the PS3 version and tell myself that I'm supported Rocksteady by purchasing it on both platforms.

Quick

Banned
Gamestop/EB is having a midnight launch, and the one nearby is one of those stores. Conveniently, I have a day off tomorrow, so I'll picking it up at midnight.

Jintor

Crunched said:

Don't quote me on this, but I got the impression the raw medals were easier to get on Arkham City's challenges, probably because of the crazy challenge mode modifiers/campaign stuff/leaderboards.

Anyway, a 80-hit combo is its own reward.

/edit Oh yes, Australia has broken street date.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
It is the last day of waiting!!!!!

Even had a 120 day countdown thread someplace else...It was SOooo Long, the wait...but....

We Made It!

TheExodu5

Banned
Just finished AA tonight for the first time. I hope AC's boss fights are a little more imaginative. I got tired of fighting the same Titan boss fight over and over and over again.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Lonestar said:
It is the last day of waiting!!!!!

Even had a 120 day countdown thread someplace else...It was SOooo Long, the wait...but....

We Made It!

Except for those holding out for the pc version =( but the good news is I only paid $23 for the steam version thanks iammikeside!

Red

Nelo Ice said:
Except for those holding out for the pc version =( but the good news is I only paid $23 for the steam version thanks iammikeside!
I have two bids down on ebay nvidia codes, hopefully at least one of them goes through.

TheExodu5

Banned
Crunched said:
I have two bids down on ebay nvidia codes, hopefully at least one of them goes through.
This guy on HardForum has been selling quite a few keys for $25:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1640005

I sent him payment. He said he's getting more codes tomorrow and will send me one then. He says he has quite a few keys sold at the moment (and he seems to have good feedback so far). I can report back and let you know how it turns out.

beastmode

TheExodu5 said:
Just finished AA tonight for the first time. I hope AC's boss fights are a little more imaginative. I got tired of fighting the same Titan boss fight over and over and over again.
I thought it was cool how it ramped up and was more fun each time

Titan you run away from -> Titan you defeat -> Titan you use to kill other Titan -> Titan you use to plow through a room of enemies and get a huge multiplier.

The only one that stank was that last one. Took me 10 tries on normal with all armor upgrades. :( (Joker and Poison Ivy were pretty weak too.)

Red

TheExodu5 said:

I sent him payment. He said he's getting more codes tomorrow and will send me one then. He says he has quite a few keys sold at the moment (and he seems to have good feedback so far). I can report back and let you know how it turns out.
Sure. My ebay bids were around $25 anyway, but it'd be nice to have a back up plan if they don't work out.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Just finished AA on hard, Riddler challenges and all. It was my third playthrough, so it wasn't all that bad. The second
Poison Ivy
fight was a bitch, but it wasn't anything that made me rage. I used to have most of the challenge rooms completed, but GFWL corrupted my save file. I'll probably tackle them tomorrow to pass the time, and then I'll be hitting up a midnight release for AC. I can't fucking wait.

I'm picking up the Arkham City/Arkham Asylum bundle at Walmart tomorrow. So excited. I haven't played an open-world superhero game in a long time. (Oh, Spider-Man 2. I miss you.)

TheExodu5 said:

Thanks for the notification on this awesome deal. I went ahead and email him. AC for $25 is an awesome deal in my book. Hopefully, this key will also include the Catwoman pass...Or, I'll cry.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
TheExodu5 said:

They are.

Ephemeris

"You can never escape me.
Bullets don’t harm me. Nothing harms me.
But I know pain. I KNOW pain.
Sometimes I share it. With someone like you."

animation4.2rr4i.gif

my first gif. sorry that it's terrible and huge lol

Heppell

Banned
IS Batman AC out in NA yet?

coz its been street broken here in Aus and it was meant to come out after the NA date.

laughing.gif

Quick

Banned
Heppell said:
IS Batman AC out in NA yet?

coz its been street broken here in Aus and it was meant to come out after the NA date.

laughing.gif

Doesn't matter at this point since it's out tomorrow (18th). I'd be happy if they release it today, but it'll really only be a difference of waiting some hours, rather than days.

Question regarding something that might be related to Catwoman stuff, and spoilers.
Near the GCPD building is a building out on the water where vines and such are, and I know Poison Ivy is in there. However, I can't access the area through any means with Batman it seems, though there is a hatch on the underside and a Catwoman Riddler Trophy. Is that area only accessible with Catwoman? If so, lame.

TSA said:
Question regarding something that might be related to Catwoman stuff, and spoilers.
Near the GCPD building is a building out on the water where vines and such are, and I know Poison Ivy is in there. However, I can't access the area through any means with Batman it seems, though there is a hatch on the underside and a Catwoman Riddler Trophy. Is that area only accessible with Catwoman? If so, lame.
Why lame?
enter ur code and do the ivy quest with catwoman

DevelopmentArrested said:
Why lame?
enter ur code and do the ivy quest with catwoman

Playing the review copy borrowed from work, so the code is already used up. Told not to be connected to Xbox Live while playing, so can't do the purchase Catwoman content option, either. I'll just wait until my personal copy arrives with the code. Are there any other major villains reserved only for Catwoman?

Jtrizzy

DevelopmentArrested said:
The 3d in AC is pretty good. Frame rate stays stable and effect is subtle, not too disorienting in battles even with intensity maxed.

I was just playing the Scarecrow levels from AA with everything maxed and Physx (except it being 720p) in 3d on my plasma. Fucking amazing seeing all the Physx stuff in 3D on a 50" screen.

The gliding is also amazing in 3D, I can only imagine how great it will be in AC...

Top Bottom