• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Vire said:
Batman Arkham City has now surpassed Portal 2 as the highest rated game this year and tied for the second highest rated game of the generation.

QTIYA.png

Holy fucking batmans!

Meanwhile in Gotham....

151%20-%20animated_gif%20batman%20dance%20old.gif

Zeth said:
Game is amazing. Even a few hours in the amount of gadgets, especially quickfire gadgets, is really Impressive. They add a lot more depth to the combat.

Anyone have any tips for practicing/performing critical strikes? When I first got it I had a temporary message that would tell me too soon.
I've played for a similar amount of time and there's already about 15 different maneuvers to perform in combat. There's so many things to do that it's virtually impossible to remember to do them all. You can do the old fashioned method of combat takedowning every x5 combo you get, or you can get absurdly ridiculous variation bonuses, use the cool new combo abilities and bring all of the gadgets to bear.

That said, I really don't like the combos that take square+triangle or x+circle. Those are inconvenient pairs of buttons to press at the same time. There's almost too much stuff in this game to fit onto one controller. Part of me understands the complaint in the Destructoid review that it's easy to get bogged down with SO much variety to the combat, to the movement, and then you switch over and play as Catwoman, whose movement/predator skills in particular are quite different from Batman's.

I'm very excited to play it on the PC where I won't feel like I have one hand tied behind my back by analog sticks and ridiculous button combinations for every move. Also, the navigation can get a little irritating with a controller because you aren't in control of exactly what you grapple onto. There's so much looking around to do in the city and mouse look is just plain better for that purpose.

The End

RobbieNick said:
My brother can't use his codes since he's not online, so he gave me his. This includes...

- Catwoman

- Animated Batman

- Sinestro Corps Batman

- Dark Knight Batman

- Joker Challenge Map

- Penquin Challenge map

Willing to trade codes for 70's Batman, Batman Beyond and Robin. PM me if you want to trade.

You can get Batman Beyond for the cost of a bottle of NoS

http://www.drinknos.com/rewards.do

So, like, $2

jambo

Vire said:
Batman Arkham City has now surpassed Portal 2 as the highest rated game this year and tied for the second highest rated game of the generation.

QTIYA.png

Holy fucking batmans!

I need to start a new thread

After playing Batman Arkham City, Portal 2 seems really rather terrible.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
jambo said:
I need to start a new thread

After playing Batman Arkham City, Portal 2 seems really rather terrible.

Should Arkham City be a FPS -- Would it be TOO good?

Simo

Game is so good. I played just the beginning and up to after Two Face but now I got a question for one of the rogues located in a basement....
Calendar Man! He keeps talking about Halloween and I noticed the calendar next to the cell has specific dates and months circled.....is he using the system's internal clock?? Am I supposed to come back on these specific dates or something?!

Simo said:
Game is so good. I played just the beginning and up to after Two Face but now I got a question for one of the rogues located in a basement....
Calendar Man! He keeps talking about Halloween and I noticed the calendar next to the cell has specific dates and months circled.....is he using the system's internal clock?? Am I supposed to come back on these specific dates or something?!

Believe that's a case, there's an achievement for visiting him on all of his dates.

The deactivation process on sonys site is a mess. I don't have access to those systems anymore you dumbasses. I don't want to waste time with your poor customer service. You know which ones I've activated it on. Let me see a list of the ones I have, and check a thing next to them saying let me deactivate it.

BY2K

Membero Americo
There's so much to do in that game. Every time I want to go to the main objective, there's a phone ringing or I see a Riddle Trophy.

LProtag

Still getting the hang of it. Can't really rack up anything above a x16 multiplier, but I think I'm managing pretty well. Trying to incorporate gadgets in the middle of battle too, but that's a little tricky.

Also those Advanced AR challenges... fuck them. Haha.

InsertNameHere said:
Also those Advanced AR challenges... fuck them. Haha.
Oh god, they're fucking horrible. And even worse, they're fucking useless because they require such absurd precision and timing. I finished all of them, but it took in excess of 100 tries. The hardest one is actually the first one at the Steel Mill.

Shades of Superman 64... not good Arkham City. I know they're optional, but it's still irritating.

Ok, so I just got home and put the game in. Being OCD, I immediately want to collect everything I see.

What's with these Riddler challenges I seemingly can't get? Do I have to wait for the Riddler to be introduced before I start getting them, or am I just so stupid that I can't deduce the FIRST of his challenges (the ones with the cables leading to trophies)? :(

LProtag

krameriffic said:
Oh god, they're fucking horrible. And even worse, they're fucking useless because they require such absurd precision and timing. I finished all of them, but it took in excess of 100 tries. The hardest one is actually the first one at the Steel Mill.

Shades of Superman 64... not good Arkham City. I know they're optional, but it's still irritating.

That's the one that I was trying a few times. What do you get when you do the advanced ones?

JohngPR

I'm not sure I like that they changed the controls for the quick grapple to grapple enemies towards you. I have a lot of built in muscle memory that was fucking me up when I was playing last night. LOL

InsertNameHere said:
That's the one that I was trying a few times. What do you get when you do the advanced ones?
There was a silver trophy/achievement for it. There was no gameplay reward for it, and thank God because 95% of players will not have the patience to finish them.

cacophony said:
How the hell does this climate analyzer thing work? I feel like an idiot.
If it's blue and going further negative, you're going in the right direction. If it's going more positive, you're going the wrong direction. Unless you use it at some other part of the game than I'm thinking of.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
krameriffic said:
There was a silver trophy/achievement for it. There was no gameplay reward for it, and thank God because 95% of players will not have the patience to finish them.
Awesome. I'm going to give up in the Steel Mill one for now then.

For the people who have already completed the game, would you mind PM'ing me a spoiler?

What the fuck is protocol ten?

Edit: Sorry guys, Glad I asked the edited version.

RPGCrazied said:
Ok, how do you do that 3rd AR mission? Seems impossible.
You have to pull out of the divebomb quite early or you will land on that stupid fucking fence. Then you have to level off so you don't hit the ceiling, then you have to pull a tight left turn and continue gliding a ways. The left turn is probably the hardest part because I kept overcooking it and pulling a U-turn smack into a wall.

Lothars

I am just wondering for anyone that picked this up at gamestop, was the robin code in the package already or was it seperate?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Lothars said:
I am just wondering for anyone that picked this up at gamestop, was the robin code in the package already or was it seperate?

Gamestop doesn't give the Robin pack. Best Buy does. Gamestop gives the Joker Carnival Challenge map pack.

Elginer

trading a PSN Jokers Carnival Challange for a Robin (Xbox version) skin or some other Batman Skin. If interested pls PM.

RPGCrazied

krameriffic said:
You have to pull out of the divebomb quite early or you will land on that stupid fucking fence. Then you have to level off so you don't hit the ceiling, then you have to pull a tight left turn and continue gliding a ways. The left turn is probably the hardest part because I kept overcooking it and pulling a U-turn smack into a wall.

Thanks.

About a side mission
Deadshot. I found both places of where he was, and where it was fired to, but I can't for the life of me figure out where he is.

Also, the main story I'm stuck too,
I have to find the coldest point to find Dr. Freeze, is it suppose to go into the red, or into the green with the check mark?

pakkit

Banned
Went to Kmart to take advantage of the 30 dollars back deal. They didn't have anymore.

Welp, guess I AM going to write that paper due tomorrow after all.

Wtf Rocksteady

Make sure you guys aren't downloading any demos, or DLC or a movie while playing Arkham City on the 360. Whenever it gets done downloading it it takes you back to the main menu with a window saying something of the sort:

"New Downloadable Content is ready, you will be taken back to the main menu"

Even when all it was was the NFS The Run demo....

scoobs said:
I'm gonna be honest.. the games jumping all over the place story/gameplay wise. I'm just trying to play catch up here. Two hours in and I'm kinda disappointed so far

GUYS...Do not Mind him ^^^^ as THIS is Obviously Him.

With that said....man, This game is so amazing. I am seriously blown away, and I knew what I was expecting, I hyped myself up for this game, and It still blows me away. GOTY so far.

MrCookiepants said:
Am I the only who finds some of the advanced AR training IMPOSSIBLE? I've never been so frustrated with a game in my life.

they are optional....just do the first 4 to get the upgrade and then worry about them later after you beat the game. lol

THIS GAME THIS GAME THIS MOTHERFUCKING GAME

I am considerably drunk, and drunk Arkham City is best Arkham City

Everything is so amazing. It's so much better than Arkham Asylum, and AA is in my top five favorite games ever

Thank you based Rocksteady, for you are truly the developer we deserve

Picked up a NOS (doesn't taste half bad). Downloaded the skin. Got error message! Says I have damaged content.

Edit: Restarted Xbox and it worked. I love how he has no cape, then BAM! cape pops out of nowhere.

krameriffic said:

I did that mission like at the 4th or 5th try....

the one that was hard as hell to me was the dive bomb on the water and a stretchy tunnel....

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
MrCookiepants said:
Am I the only who finds some of the advanced AR training IMPOSSIBLE? I've never been so frustrated with a game in my life.

It took me a while, but I am a glide master now.

Top Bottom