• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

What did you guys think of the opening? i.e.
Bruce Waynin' all over the joint.
It seemed a bit janky to me, but I guess I was automatically comparing it to other games that do the same, but better (Uncharted, for example).

mickcenary said:
It seemed a bit janky to me, but I guess I was automatically comparing it to other games that do the same, but better (Uncharted, for example).

I loved it. Always wanted to see that coming. Showing true chaos

RPGCrazied

RPGCrazied said:
Thanks.

About a side mission
Deadshot. I found both places of where he was, and where it was fired to, but I can't for the life of me figure out where he is.

Also, the main story I'm stuck too,
I have to find the coldest point to find Dr. Freeze, is it suppose to go into the red, or into the green with the check mark?

Anyone?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
mickcenary said:

I don't see the comparison.

_tetsuo_ said:
I don't see the comparison.

To be specific, the building traversal bit. His modelling/animations just looked a *bit* off. All of the usual Batman fisticuffs preceeding that, especially
breaking your handcuffs like a boss
was well done.

Mr. Paer said:
THIS GAME THIS GAME THIS MOTHERFUCKING GAME

I am considerably drunk, and drunk Arkham City is best Arkham City

Everything is so amazing. It's so much better than Arkham Asylum, and AA is in my top five favorite games ever

Thank you based Rocksteady, for you are truly the developer we deserve
To me, it's on the level of improvement of Assassin's Creed to AC2. Difference is AC1 was a piece of shit while Arkham Asylum was already good. Improving so much on that is quite impressive.

Jonm1010

Banned
Sucks I have to wait til next week to get this.

I drove to our local Toys R Us to get the 3 for 2 deal only to find out that they shut down our local Toys R Us. Closest one was over an hour away.

So instead I ordered it online with Rage and Dark Souls. I also had a 50 dollar credit thanks to another deal around the time MK9 came out so I am just going ahead and waiting it out til next week. I guess this gives me time to finish up Deus Ex though.

Jonm1010

Banned
Vire said:
Batman Arkham City has now surpassed Portal 2 as the highest rated game this year and tied for the second highest rated game of the generation.

QTIYA.png

Holy fucking batmans!

Horsehit, its tied for first!

GTAIV was artificially inflated thanks to excessive moneyhats.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
There certainly isn't a lack of things to do.

Progress the story! No, glide through these rings! OMG WHERE IS THE RINGING TELEPHONE?!?!

THAT RIDDLE ISNT FOR YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Any of you guys who played the game so far, is there a lot of popin when gliding? It looked pretty fast in the videos I saw, so I expected some popin, but I haven't had the chance to look at the game in person yet.

Tsukumo

Zeth said:
Game is amazing. Even a few hours in the amount of gadgets, especially quickfire gadgets, is really Impressive. They add a lot more depth to the combat.

Anyone have any tips for practicing/performing critical strikes? When I first got it I had a temporary message that would tell me too soon.

In Arkham Asylum a critical strike is achieved just by hitting the X button once. If you mash the buttons, moves will still connect most of the times but they'll count as simple strikes. A critical gives 20 points instead of 10 and doubles the amount of hits registered (5 strikes equal five hits, while 5 critcals equal 10 hits) which means you will upgrade faster in the main game and net more points in the challenge mode.
A lot of the videos pre-release we've seen (the various challenge with the various skins) were performed by button mashers, as you can see how the combo meter never gets yellow and never registers criticals.

Ether_Snake said:
Any of you guys who played the game so far, is there a lot of popin when gliding? It looked pretty fast in the videos I saw, so I expected some popin, but I haven't had the chance to look at the game in person yet.
I have seen zero pop-in. Rocksteady knows what their doing.

I HATE HATE PS3 controllers so much god damn.

My L2 button keeps hitting detective mode on its own and now I got crazy headaches. Why is this shit so sensitive?

Does anyone know of any good 3rd party PS3 controllers?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Tguy said:
My L2 button keeps hitting detective mode on it's own and now I got crazy headaches. Why is this shit so sensitive?

Wait, you're saying my current headaches is because of detective mode?

Well, crap...

Kyoufu

Tguy said:
I HATE HATE PS3 controllers so much god damn.

My L2 button keeps hitting detective mode on its own and now I got crazy headaches. Why is this shit so sensitive?

Does anyone know of any good 3rd party PS3 controllers?

That's just your controller, bro. Get a new one.

BY2K said:
Wait, you're saying my current headaches is because of detective mode?

Well, crap...
Well, I don't know about you, but what my L2 is doing is turning detective mode on and off, so it flashes a lot for me.
Kyoufu said:
That's just your controller, bro. Get a new one.
This is my 2nd PS3 controller that has this issue. That's why I want a 3rd party one.

Okay I'm a bit disappointed. The main story itself is really short (already at 85%) and never told as good as the story in Arkham Asylum. I miss the "horror" from the first game also.
There are way too many villains. Some of them totally feel out of place. The "level" are not as good designed as the level in Arkham Asylum. I remember ...well ...two or three "level" which I would call "the same quality as AA".
I miss some of the better villains (hello Arkham Asylum), too.

+ many riddles
+ nice world
+ good graphics
+ side quests
+ music
+ interesting environments
+ a lot of content

- really weak main story
- a lot of dumb villains
- worse dialogue than AA
- missing horror
- short main story
- more combat, less sneaking and stealth

btw: Still don't have a chance to play as catwoman

SmithnCo

Been playing this for 4-5 hours now, so good. I started on hard, but I've gotten used to the combat. The "5 combo until special move" upgrade helps a lot.

JohngPR

Ken said:
Aw, my copy's case from Amazon came broken.
d963d173.png

730fb689.png

Call up Amazon and tell them the problem. They'll probably send you a new copy with 1 day delivery and they'll have you print up a shipping label and you can still play the copy you have now until you get your other copy.

Ephemeris

Mr. Paer said:
THIS GAME THIS GAME THIS MOTHERFUCKING GAME

I am considerably drunk, and drunk Arkham City is best Arkham City

Everything is so amazing. It's so much better than Arkham Asylum, and AA is in my top five favorite games ever

Thank you based Rocksteady, for you are truly the developer we deserve
yes_jack_nicholson.gif

The perfect Dark said:
Okay I'm a bit disappointed. The main story itself is really short (already at 85%) and never told as good as the story in Arkham Asylum. I miss the "horror" from the first game also.
There are way too many villains. Some of them totally feel out of place. The "level" are not as good designed as the level in Arkham Asylum. I remember ...well ...two or three "level" which I would call "the same quality as AA".
I miss some of the better villains (hello Arkham Asylum), too.

+ many riddles
+ nice world
+ good graphics
+ side quests
+ music
+ interesting environments
+ a lot of content

- really weak main story
- a lot of dumb villains
- worse dialogue than AA
- missing horror
- shot main story
- more combat, less sneaking and stealth

btw: Still don't have a chance to play as catwoman

horror?

cacophony

mickcenary said:
Is the Continuous Gliding ability available from the onset of the game, or does it pop in later?

Like grappling and then shooting back into the glide? You have to do the grappling upgrade AR side mission that pops up near the beginning of the game.

mysticwhip said:
Will I have to play the majority of the game in Detective mode again? I kinda want to see the pretty environments and stuff.

It doesn't appear like it this go around (I'm at least 3 hours hours in). That was one of my major gripes for AA, I missed most the environment due to being stuck in Detective mode most of the time.

leng jai said:
Is detective mode activating by itself during combat? I'm pretty sure I'm not pressing L2

Nope, you have to activate it yourself, except for a "few" occasions.

Gouty said:
There certainly isn't a lack of things to do.

Progress the story! No, glide through these rings! OMG WHERE IS THE RINGING TELEPHONE?!?!

THAT RIDDLE ISNT FOR YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

I found it after you escape the tower before it being blown up. It's located north (on the your map) of the Church/Medical Center. You get a call from a previous character from AA talking playing some game which is basically phone tag with time limits. Fuck that side mission.

_tetsuo_ said:
I would assume he means the Scarecrow sections.

Yeah. Scarecrow, Croc...the crazy thugs^^...and the level itself....there's nothing like that in Arkham city. It doesn't feel like a dark, brutal world....it feels like...hmm... a playable comic. (yes, I know...but I think you know what I mean?)

Victrix

*beard*
Played a good chunk, just up past the
Penguin boss fight

This game is a) amazing and b) overwhelming

You start with a ton of gadgets, and a ton of moves, and then they just keep piling more on you. Your options at any given second in combat are ridiculously expansive.

This is good, but it is also brain frying.

Exact same story for the world. You literally cannot go 50 feet without your radio or batradar lighting up with some distraction or another. The density of 'stuff' is unbelievable.

Mindlog

I am the terror that flaps in the night.

I hadn't played AA in months. It feels good getting back into the new Batman combat. I'm skipping some Riddler challenges until I have more tools to play with.

cacophony said:
Like grappling and then shooting back into the glide? You have to do the grappling upgrade AR side mission that pops up near the beginning of the game.

Yep. Gliding sans having to perch and hook each time. Spanks, man. Is it an easy one? I don't even know what these AR missions are, to be honest. There's a lot to digest in this game.

Also, I feel like playing through the first time without Catwoman, yet I've already downloaded the code. If I delete her data, I'll just be able to re-purchase it, right? Or can you select whether or not you want to include her content?

Bloodsent

Mindlog said:
I am the terror that flaps in the night.

I hadn't played AA in months. It feels good getting back into the new Batman combat. I'm skipping some Riddler challenges until I have more tools to play with.

Unfortunately you kind of have to. I don't remember if you could in AA now, but I like that if you hold down the LB (on 360 at least) to mark a Riddler Trophy, and do it again, it will add it to the map. This is pretty useful, until they give you other means to work with finding trophies.

Interficium said:
preorder cancelled.
hehe.. yeah I know it's a playable comic. What I wanted to say is, that the game feels more like a comic and less like a dark, brutal world you never want to visit (like the Asylum in the first game).

Please, can anyone confirm that the city is NOT empty after finishing the main story? There are still thugs left?

Top Bottom