• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

The perfect Dark said:
Okay I'm a bit disappointed. The main story itself is really short (already at 85%) and never told as good as the story in Arkham Asylum. I miss the "horror" from the first game also.

How long have you played?

Raxus

JohngPR said:
It's not erase, you have to unlock it and even then it's a different button press than it was in Arkham Asylum.
The batclaw is LT + Y now right? Do you need free flow advanced in order to triple batarang now?

Inferno313 said:
I've played for 4 or 5 hours, and I'm at about 16% story completion. You guys complaining about length are rushing through it. I'm doing as many sidequests as I can before progressing though.

Indeed, there's tons of side shit to do.
First it's that serial killer from AA having me play phone tag, then it's finding barrels of Titan for Bane.

SO MUCH CONTENT GOODNESS!

malfcn

VindictiveGnome said:
I contacted Amazon and they gave me $12 refund for the missing collectible cards. Maybe I should contact WB games too. Let me know how your situation turns out.

$12 ain't bad for some collectable cards that would just get dusty. Did they offer it, or did you say something special?

Simo

Loving everything so far but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. I've got like 4 side-missions going on, just completed the AR mission only to open up Advanced AR missions and now I'm trying to figure out a Riddler challenge as Catwoman.

Also...Holy secret character side mission, Batman!! I had no idea
Azreal was in this too?!
Just met them and opened up their, and yet another, side mission.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Hoooo man, I need a break. It's been like 5 months since I've gamed, this game has got me tensed the fuck up. So great, really into it. I'm at 11% story, 3% game, favorite moments so far,
When Batman assembles the gun out of nowhere. Badass. I just stopped right after some goon with a knife was gonna come at me - the game put up a tutorial for dodging the blade
or whatever, I took out the gun and blasted that fucker a couple times and took his ass down. BATMAN! WITH A GUN
!

Then there's the ways you can bypass thugs all together on your way to an objective...or beat the shit out of the all! BATMAN!

And then new combat animations are omfg. countering two dudes at once and all kinds of crazy shit like that. BATMAN!

malfcn said:
$12 ain't bad for some collectable cards that would just get dusty.
It's not too shabby I suppose, but I would like to hear a response from WB Games. Just curious to see if they're going to actually send some cards out to people and fix the issue.

Jintor

SmithnCo said:
I think I'm missing something with the
Zsasz race to answer the phone.
Is there a fast way to traverse?

There's not too much to it besides always be moving towards the target point. Gliding is advantageous if you can keep it going constantly. Get the grapple upgrade so you don't have to pause to climb onto buildings and stuff.

Jintor

The Antitype said:
What the fuck is the deal with this stupid Riddler trophy tagging?

I can look straight at a fucking trophy, but still not be able to tag it so I can come back to it later?

Of course you can tag it. Hold down the crime-solving mode button while looking straight at it.

SpeedingUptoStop

Jintor said:
Of course you can tag it. Hold down the crime-solving mode button while looking straight at it.
I dunno, I couldn't tag one when I was in Catwoman mode, dunno what that was about.

Didn't want to jump onto the love train but I have to say one thing.

This game is the sequel to my personal Game of the Generation. Everything I wanted in a sequel and more.

Why couldn't YOU have been called Crackdown 2??? WHY???

JohngPR

Raxus said:
The batclaw is LT + Y now right? Do you need free flow advanced in order to triple batarang now?

Yea, that's right. It's throwing me off because of the muscle memory I obtained playing through all of the challenge maps in Arkham Asylum.

As far as the triple batarang, I can't help you there. I'm not very far into the game.

SmithnCo

Jintor said:
There's not too much to it besides always be moving towards the target point. Gliding is advantageous if you can keep it going constantly. Get the grapple upgrade so you don't have to pause to climb onto buildings and stuff.

Okay, so I need an upgrade to do that then. Dunno if I really need it but it would make traversal more fun. Thanks.

Jintor

george_us said:
The new voice actress for Harley is great. I almost couldn't tell the difference when I first heard her.

She's the voice of Batgirl in the Animated Series, so she probably worked alongside Arleen Sorkin for quite some time.

Jintor

SmithnCo said:
Okay, so I need an upgrade to do that then. Dunno if I really need it but it would make traversal more fun. Thanks.

Well you don't need it. I finished the missions without it. But it makes it easier. in general, my tips would be:

a) Always keep moving
b) Always move towards the target, try not to get slowed down by being forced to move perpendicular to the target or upwards, it's inefficient
c) Glide like a motherfucker. Gliding is awesome.

hamchan

Jintor said:
Well you don't need it. I finished the missions without it. But it makes it easier. in general, my tips would be:

a) Always keep moving
b) Always move towards the target, try not to get slowed down by being forced to move perpendicular to the target or upwards, it's inefficient
c) Glide like a motherfucker. Gliding is awesome.

Whoa what, I can't imagine not getting the grapple upgrade in this game ><

malfcn said:
Amazon sometimes has the dumbest reps: "My game is missing the cards" - "You want to trade it for $30?"
Woah, woah, woah. Am I reading this right? Amazon offered you a $30 refund?
The rep made me point out where on the product page it says the collectible cards are included. I tried for a $30 refund, then $20. Rep wouldn't have it. I got $12 refund.

So... is the game ever going to stop telling me exactly what to do and which buttons to press to progress? I have the hints turned off yet hints keep robbing me the chance of figuring things out by myself.
Press A twice to escape through the window before the bomb blows up, use the bat claw to open the water gate to take out the fire, use the bat gel to blow up the wall, do this, do that, been over an hour can I please use my brain now?

Other than that, the game is fucking amazing.

hamchan

xtrasauce said:
So... is the game ever going to stop telling me exactly what to do and which buttons to press to progress? I have the hints turned off yet hints keep robbing me the chance of figuring things out by myself.
Press A twice to escape through the window before the bomb blows up, use the bat claw to open the water gate to take out the fire, use the bat gel to blow up the wall, do this, do that, been over an hour can I please use my brain now?

Other than that, the game is fucking amazing.

No, they'll be telling you what to do the entire game.

Also my DLC codes now work in Australia. Yay.

Jintor

You can tag Riddles for later consumption, I'm sure there was a tutorial about it. Hold down LB (on the 360) and presumably L1 on the PS3 while looking at them. The tagging takes a little while to take hold, you have to hold it until it informs you that they're tagged.

Also the help text is really annoying because it persists until you do what it tells you to do in every battle where it's relevant. I didn't blade dodge through 70% of the game, and then during a massive brawl with 20, 30+ people half the screen was covered in blade dodge instructional text until I successfully performed a blade dodge.

/edit the
disruptor
is BAWSE.

AcciDante

Maybe an hour in, and could use a hint. I just tracked
the coldest spot in the city to find Mr. Freeze
and I there's a door with an electrical box thing above it that I assume I need to get under. When I shoot it with the electric gun, it goes up, but not enough for me to go under. What do?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Simo said:
Loving everything so far but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. I've got like 4 side-missions going on, just completed the AR mission only to open up Advanced AR missions and now I'm trying to figure out a Riddler challenge as Catwoman.

Also...Holy secret character side mission, Batman!! I had no idea
Azreal was in this too?!
Just met them and opened up their, and yet another, side mission.

Yeah i saw him too.

Jintor

AcciDante said:
and I there's a door with an electrical box thing above it that I assume I need to get under. When I shoot it with the electric gun, it goes up, but not enough for me to go under. What do?

Slide motherfucker slide

SmithnCo

AcciDante said:

Run and press the crouch button to do a slide.

SpeedingUptoStop

Yea, during that belltower segment, Batman would not shut the hell up and it wasn't even especially easy to find where to go next.

I HAVE TO GET TO THE TOP OF THE BELLTOWER I HAVE TO GET TO THE TOP OF THE BELLTOWER I HAVE TO GET TO THE TOP OF THE BELLTOWER I HAVE TO GET TO THE TOP OF THE BELLTOWER I HAVE TO GET TO THE TOP OF THE BELLTOWER

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm intimidated by the amount of stuff to do in this game. There's just so much being thrown at me at all times.

Top Bottom