• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Neverender said:
This game is so fucking good.

Iceberg Lounge spoiler:
I laughed out loud (in a good way) when Batman got eaten by a god damn shark. I love this game.
Ha, yeah. I laughed even more later when he
punched the shark in the goddamn face. Guess he didn't have his Bat-Shark Repellent on him.

BFIB

This game is flat out incredible. I almost feel overwhelmed at the constant new missions that are appearing.

I'm at the part where you
trace the Jokers signal. The entire sequence at the beginning was the best intro I've ever seen to a video game. The bell tower sequence was awesome.

I'm just getting started. Completed the
first 4 VR missions, and have got about 16% of Zsaz phone trace.

Quick

Banned
I got it earlier today, and I've only just stopped playing (other than to eat dinner). I'm not that far into it, and I love this game.

I like that the game managed to balance out all the villains, and not make it feel overly crowded and diluted. Guess it helps that it's based in Arkham.

And holy shit Calendar Man and Solomon Grundy!

I say goddamn! Batman is so brutal. The take down on pipe wielders where
he breaks their ankle,
I actually cringed. Then I laughed out loud.

Simo

Question for those familiar with Batman lore and already past the bell tower near the beginning..
That isn't Hush laying on the gurney with the box of human organs is it? I wouldn't figure it would be as I'd imagine Batman would identify him and I don't recall Thomas Elliot cutting his face off but talking with the doctor who's aiding him....something is definitely up with the guy.

hamchan

ThirtyPlus said:
I say goddamn! Batman is so brutal. The take down on pipe wielders where
he breaks their ankle,
I actually cringed. Then I laughed out loud.

Batman doesn't kill but he certainly breaks bones in a very satisfying way.

Just a headsup, seems the game resets to check for DLC anytime a download finishes which is annoying. I was in the middle of fighting a bunch of baddies when my Sonic Generations demo finished and it booted me back to the menu because it thought it had acquired some DLC. :/

Simo said:
Question for those familiar with Batman lore and already past the bell tower near the beginning..
That isn't Hush laying on the gurney with the box of human organs is it? I wouldn't figure it would be as I'd imagine Batman would identify him and I don't recall Thomas Elliot cutting his face off but talking with the doctor who's aiding him....something is definitely up with the guy.

That's what I'm thinking as well. It's a nice little Easter Egg they put in. Also the "Pay your respects" achievement is a nice Easter Egg as well.

Grisby

Catwoman is awesome. Almost more fun to play with her then Batman. Also dat animations.

Also, there is just too much stuff to do, crazy.

Jintor

hamchan said:
Batman doesn't kill but he certainly breaks bones in a very satisfying way.

There's only one animation I still wish was in the game; it'd be a counter when attacked from behind.

backhand2_7060.png

Chiggs said:
Fact: Robin is one of the worst characters in the DC universe.

True.

But Rocksteady's version of Robin is a jacked-up, hooded badass inspired by the fighting styles seen in the UFC.

I'm not enjoying this game as much as I enjoyed Arkham Asylum. :(

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Grisby said:
Catwoman is awesome. Almost more fun to play with her then Batman. Also dat animations.

Also, there is just too much stuff to do, crazy.
I came into the game thinking "pfft, play as Catwoman, whatevs," but goddamn, she is awesome.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Are there any catwoman segments in this game that dont require the online pass? I installed the pass from the start so i dont know whats missing.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Really surprised at how not coy they are about naming people who are in this universe. I don't even think anyone mentioned Robin in the first game and here regular street thugs are talking him up even.

The Antitype said:
True.

But Rocksteady's version of Robin is a jacked-up, hooded badass inspired by the fighting styles seen in the UFC.

I'm not enjoying this game as much as I enjoyed Arkham Asylum. :(

Maybe the initial feeling for the "newness" of the franchise has worn off? Or you're doing something wrong because this game is amazing.

Fjordson said:
Agreed. I'm liking the Catwoman sections a lot more than I thought I would.
I've only done the first two, but I felt as though they were too brief for me to really get into her shoes and play her properly. In particular, her movement abilities in conjunction with the predator sections seem to offer some really cool possibilities, but I just couldn't learn it fast enough to do it properly. Combat wise, she's extremely similar to Batman, but the crawling up on ceilings and walls and the whip in movement make her quite interesting.

Grappling and gliding never gets old. Batman seems way more agile because of it. It's so cool. It kind of reminds of the Tenchu series.

Square Triangle said:
Maybe the initial feeling for the "newness" of the franchise has worn off? Or you're doing something wrong because this game is amazing.

No. It just doesn't feel as tightly paced and expertly directed as the first game to me.

But the same can be said for most open-world games. Which is why I was kind of weary of Rocksteady taking this series in that direction.

FHIZ

Simo said:

No, it's not, but you should continue with that side quest... ends up mimicking a fairly recent Paul Dini story.

anyways... 11am - 10pm. Breaks for food. God damn I haven't done that in a LONG time. Only 32% done with the main story. RIDICULOUS.

Fjordson

Simo said:
It's not. Keep playin' that quest, though. Good stuff.

Edit: beaten :p

Epcott

First five minutes I played, felt like Captain Badass... loved the opening. I had to pause and smoke a cigarette, it was soooo goood.

Almost makes me wish I had a 3D TV set up.
I also find it funny that the soundtrack sounds closer to Dark Knight, mixed with a subtle melody from the previous Arkham game.

Bazhard

Banned
SixStringPsycho said:
Awww Fuck SHARK!
I fucking dread getting to that part, can you spoil
how many times i will encounter this shark? i really don't feel like having a heart attack while playing, from what i seen you don't have to worry about it if you tip toe on the ice, but when your doing the raft thing it tries to eat it? is that it?

Also for people who are really far or beaten what is this
T-Rex stuff all about? is there an actual t-rex that is going to make me shit my pants?

why can't i just have a goddamn normal game without scary creatures? is it too much to ask for? like that zombie/yeti monster shit in UC/UC2.. I JUST WANT TO PLAY A GAME AND NOT BE SCARED

Epcott said:
First five minutes I played, felt like Captain Badass... loved the opening. I had to pause and smoke a cigarette, it was soooo goood.

I also find it funny that the soundtrack sounds closer to Dark Knight, mixed with a subtle melody from the previous Arkham game.
Didn't AA also use music from the movies? or am i crazy?

All I am going to say is, echoing what has already been said

dat ninja dat pummel

oooommmmgg. Did not like the
penguin
section tho, despite its pluses with references

GQman2121

Banned
Epcott said:

About the opening though......
what if you don't have the Catwomen DLC? Do you just watch and not play that part?

If so, that's kind of fucked up if your system isn't online.

Bazhard

Banned
MasterShotgun said:
Also, I got a pleasant surprise when I ran into
Killer Croc
in the tunnels. I knew he would show up, but the moment it happened caught me by surprise.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK ME, well it looks like i will die of a heart attack from being scared too much in this game, been nice knowing all of you.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
My only complaint so far is that hard kicks the crap out of you, and normal is pretty much a cakewalk. In AA, I played about halfway on normal, then restarted on hard. In a perfect world, I'd be able to play a bit on normal and get my chops back, then switch to hard without having to restart. As it stands now, I tried the first fight on hard about 10 times without getting even close to beating it, and decided to go normal. And man is it easy so far.

Other than that, it's fantastic.

malfcn

If I have an upgrade available, can I not be bothered by the flashing notification? Sometimes I like to not upgrade asap.

Jintor

FlyinJ said:
My only complaint so far is that hard kicks the crap out of you, and normal is pretty much a cakewalk. In AA, I played about halfway on normal, then restarted on hard. In a perfect world, I'd be able to play a bit on normal and get my chops back, then switch to hard without having to restart. As it stands now, I tried the first fight on hard about 10 times without getting even close to beating it, and decided to go normal. And man is it easy so far.

Other than that, it's fantastic.

Stop getting hit.

The main difficulty is primarily in the upscaled damage. Everything else is cool.

Bazhard

Banned
grap3fruitman said:
Okay Gaf, I can't decide whether to keep the CE that I managed to snag for $60 or buy the regular edition for $45 and get a $30 off a future purchase coupon. Is there anything in the CE worthwhile besides the statue? Fffff... I don't know what to do.
The answer to that is no, not unless you care about the small artbook.

And your game is in the artbook, personally i am waiting for the CE to drop to 40-60 and buy it just for the book/statue because im into that stuff, just not $100 into it lol.

The statue itself is gorgeous but the early access to the DLC is also nice. The artbook, while not very big offers some great pieces. I'm terrible with CE though, even if it were pure shit I'd have to have it.

Bazhard

Banned
Did anyone pick up the Limited Edition Guide? wondering if it's worth picking up, any good artwork in it? im a sucker for artwork and have $30 credit left at bestbuy.

Bazhard said:
Did anyone pick up the Limited Edition Guide? wondering if it's worth picking up, any good artwork in it? im a sucker for artwork and have $30 credit left at bestbuy.

I did. Picked up the Catwoman copy (there is also a Batman version), I like the poster and the 6 lithographs it comes with. There is also a comic inside, the art included isn't a whole lot.

Bazhard

Banned
Square Triangle said:
I did. Picked up the Catwoman copy (there is also a Batman version), I like the poster and the 6 lithographs it comes with. There is also a comic inside, the art included isn't a whole lot.
Comic, poster and 6 lithos? gonna have to pick it up tomorrow!

Hopefully they have the batman one, although it doesn't really matter.

Jintor said:
Stop getting hit.

The main difficulty is primarily in the upscaled damage. Everything else is cool.
I only struggle on hard when I try to get fancy with my combat. If I play the bread and butter style of strike and counter up to a combo takedown, I am completely unstoppable. When I try to mix in gadgets and all the different variations I tend to cock things up and take hits.

BY2K

Membero Americo
OMG the
Mad Hatter side mission is brilliant. It's not Scarecrow level of creepy, but it's still creepy. The trap he sets up for Bats is genius, I totally fell for it.

Luthos

Just got to the first legit Catwoman segment.

And my doubts went away. It's actually really fun to maneuver around as her. Like someone else said, it's pretty similar to Spiderman in a way.

Top Bottom