• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
OK, question:

I'm doing the phone booth killer side mission. I found the first phone, but I didn't know you had to scan the damn map while he is on the phone so I have no idea where the second location is. If for some reason I can't find the second phone ringing, will I lose chance in getting the achievement in stopping the phone booth killer?

Rewrite said:
OK, question:

I'm doing the phone booth killer side mission. I found the first phone, but I didn't know you had to scan the damn map while he is on the phone so I have no idea where the second location is. If for some reason I can't find the second phone ringing, will I lose chance in getting the achievement in stopping the phone booth killer?

Scanning his location doesn't tell you where the next phone is, it's a cumulative thing that adds up.

You'll stumble upon another ringing phone eventually and have plenty of opportunity to fill that bar.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The Antitype said:
Scanning his location doesn't tell you where the next phone is, it's a cumulative thing that adds up.

You'll stumble upon another ringing phone eventually and have plenty of opportunity to fill that bar.
You are a life saver! Thank you!

neorej said:
Looks good. I pre-ordered at Gamemania here in Holland, I should get all three too. I'll get the Nightwing DLC as well. Fuck, I think I'll get every piece of DLC for this. I want WB to have my money.

Never liked them (GMania) and how they always bitch and moan on you to buy used at some of their stores. They do have nice Collectors Editions from time to time, I ordered the AC:Revelations Animus Edition from them because I couldn't from Amazon. That shit saves me so much money it's not even funny. Overcharging 20-30 EUROS for Batman AC CE compared to Amazon is pure bullshit.

The downside is GMania ALWAYS breaks street date and I'm F5'ing my Amazon order like a madman. But hey, more euros for more games is always a good thing.

So I'm battling it out against Mr.Freeze and the first thing I did was use the disruptor and well... he froze. First bug I've come across so far.

789shadow said:
Okay, this AR mission where you have to dive, then turn a complete 180 and go through another hoop, is fucking impossible.
I actually found that one to be considerably easier than the ones where you have to glide through really tight tunnels. The key to the U-turn was to not go too far (which I did a few times). I ended up going 270 degrees a few times before I just forced myself to give it less turn than I thought I needed.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
How many AR missions are there? I hated the one where you had to glide through that small tunnel into a toy train. That one was really tough for me.

Ephemeris said:
I still can't get over that intro.
I know, man. I know. Shit was fucking amazing.

lush

Was pretty sleepy so I spent my hour of play just roaming the city, beating up thugs, breaking cameras, and getting Riddler trophies. The intro was great. The gameplay is absolutely fantastic, I'm going to end up having a blast with the Challenge maps. Looking forward to tackling the story some tomorrow.

Am I just imagining things or are they referencing Lost in this game? I heard a random thug saying "Did they ever explain what the island was?" as I flew around, and I figured he was probably talking about the stuff that happened on Arkham Island in the first game, but later on Joker was talking about (not really a spoiler, but, y'know [maybe a spoiler about Lost])
watching how your favourite TV shows end and he said something like "And why did it all end in a church?"

Lost did end in between the two Batman games' releases, maybe the Rocksteady guys were fans. I know... Raven? The guys who made Singularity and that Wolverine game are fans of Lost references.

God, from thinking over clues and analyzing scenes with detective vision to fucking stepping on pressure plates.

Rocksteady took the joy of the Riddler challenges, killed it, and fucked the corpse.

hamchan

The perfect Dark said:
Okay Story finished. Ending was AMAZING.

But really short, much shorter than AA (in my opinion).

Story does seem shorter than AA. So much more side stuff in this game though.

JambiBum

The Antitype said:
God, from thinking over clues and analyzing scenes with detective vision to fucking stepping on pressure plates.

Rocksteady took the joy of the Riddler challenges, killed it, and fucked the corpse.
Apparently you don't realize that there are different types of riddles now. Including the ones from the first game.

Every thread I see you in you do nothing but complain about the game that thread is for.

JambiBum said:
Apparently you don't realize that there are different types of riddles now. Including the ones from the first game.

Every thread I see you in you do nothing but complain about the game that thread is for.

I've posted many things in this thread, both positive and negative.

And yes, I realize there are many types of Riddles in this game. The new ones, which have little to do with problem solving and more to do with environmental navigation, are quite annoying and boring.

What are the Arkham City Stories, and how do you unlock them?

JambiBum

The Antitype said:
I've posted many things in this thread, both positive and negative.

And yes, I realize there are many types of Riddles in this game. The new ones, which have little to do with problem solving and more to do with environmental navigation, are quite annoying and boring.

What are the Arkham City Stories, and how do you unlock them?
The stories have to do with actual word play riddles. Like the first game. It involves scanning a certain object in the designated area to solve the riddle.

JambiBum said:
The stories have to do with actual word play riddles. Like the first game. It involves scanning a certain object in the designated area to solve the riddle.

That's what I figured. But I've solved four of the word-play riddles, and only unlocked one ACS so I'm a little confused.

Anyway, bed time.

Great game, just feels a little less tightly focused than the first game, which was all-killer, no-filler.

789shadow

Banned
Okay,
invading the Steel Mill for the second time, totally fucking stuck at this one part where you have to use a batarang or some shit to hit a fuse box. I've hit the damn thing 20 fucking times with remote controlled ones. Nothing has worked. What the fuck.

hamchan

After playing through the combat challenges for a few hours now, I take no shame in saying that this game has the most enjoyable combat system I've ever played in a video game.

Just beat
The Penguin/Solomon Grundy
The game is picking up. A little too unfocused right now but I withhold judgment obviously.

Only gripe is gadget selection could be a little smoother.

DodgerSan

Ok, I realise this is a long shot but...

Does anyone have any sort of 360 dlc code they'd want to exchange for the Sinestro Corps skin on ps3? Yeah, I bought Green Lantern :)

I already have the Joker carnival map though.

beastmode said:
I'm only 2 hours in but... the game's done nothing but disappoint so far.
Did you like the first game? Either you're trolling and you're playing a game you knew you wouldn't like or this game is completely different from part 1.

Zareth

789shadow said:
Okay,
invading the Steel Mill for the second time, totally fucking stuck at this one part where you have to use a batarang or some shit to hit a fuse box. I've hit the damn thing 20 fucking times with remote controlled ones. Nothing has worked. What the fuck.

You have to
electrify your remote batarang and hit the fuse box with that

beastmode

Truant said:
Juniors using words as "disappoint" "win" and "fail" should be a bannable offense.
Is the word "disappoint" now forbidden? It's not like I wrote "Batman, you are disappoint." Are "dishearten," "fall flat," and other synonyms bannable too?

Always-honest said:
Did you like the first game? Either you're trolling and you're playing a game you knew you wouldn't like or this game is completely different from part 1.
Asylum was one of the top games of 2009 no doubt. Nothing in the first 2 hours of Arkham City has interested me in the slightest. Shame since it's been my "holy shit can't wait for it" game since they announced it.

-First two Catwoman sections were boring and felt tacked on. Is there an option to skip them?
-Arkham Asylum made sense as a location. What's up with anyone being fine with letting hundreds of goons stroll about and fight each other, some armed with assault rifles?
-Joker is sick -> Joker is fine -> Joker is sick -> Joker went about Gotham infecting blood donations. Wait, so now inmates are able to escape? Can I go back in there and beat the snot out of this lying punk?
-Detective vision tells me to go look after Joker who's up in the tower. I try to enter through the window but it's invulnerable. At the end of the tutorial that teaches me things I already know I escape by jumping through the same window.
-I'm confused as to how that electroshotgun thing works. How do LB and RT do different things?
-After blowing up a concrete wall with explosive gel I came across a locked door. Guess doors are much stronger.
-Sometimes I get that "bounce off the wall and continue gliding thing" when I slightly bump the edge of a pipe or pillar and my character is bouncing off the air.
-Miss the old environment scanning Riddler challenges.
-A mini-map would be nice.

It's not like any of those are wrecking the whole game, I just expected at least some enjoyment after replaying Asylum and reading all those ecstatic "game is perfect" reviews. Hope it picks up.

hamchan

beastmode said:
-Arkham Asylum made sense as a location. What's up with anyone being fine with letting hundreds of goons stroll about and fight each other, some armed with assault rifles?

You'll find out later.

Those are still in.

Jintor

789shadow said:
Okay,

Run it through electricity first

zoner said:
Am I on a time limit with this
protocol 10
thing?

No.

beastmode said:
-First two Catwoman sections were boring and felt tacked on. Is there an option to skip them?
-Joker is sick -> Joker is fine -> Joker is sick -> Joker went about Gotham infecting blood donations. Wait, so now inmates are able to escape? Can I go back in there and beat the snot out of this lying punk?
-Detective vision tells me to go look after Joker who's up in the tower. I try to enter through the window but it's invulnerable. At the end of the tutorial that teaches me things I already know I escape by jumping through the same window.
-I'm confused as to how that electroshotgun thing works. How do LB and RT do different things?
-After blowing up a concrete wall with explosive gel I came across a locked door. Guess doors are much stronger.
-Sometimes I get that "bounce off the wall and continue gliding thing" when I slightly bump the edge of a pipe or pillar and my character is bouncing off the air.
-A mini-map would be nice.

It's not like any of those are wrecking the whole game, I just expected at least some enjoyment after replaying Asylum and reading all those ecstatic "game is perfect" reviews. Hope it picks up.

You're a wee bit nitpicky, to be honest. A lot of these are just general game design problems that would largely be ignored in almost all games coming out today, especially ones with as much content as Arkham City. The lack of enjoyment though I can't really account for.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Absolutely loving the game. I'm only a couple hours in, but thus far, it's my dream open world game. In recent years I've grown rather tired of "sandbox games" as I feel they sacrifice quality level design for the sake of a large world. Arkham City, however, offers a perfect blend of a large, open environment and expertly designed mission areas. You never get the feeling that detail or complexity were sacrificed for the open world.

I also applaud the lack of a mini-map with mission icons pasted across it. The average sandbox game these days devolves into following a series of icon on a map and triggering an event or mission upon reaching it. Batman actually pushes players to explore the world and become mindful of the environment. You're not simply chasing icons around a map.

Once you step into the proper misisons (which transition smoothly from the world map) the game delivers the kind of action you expect from Rocksteady without missing a beat. Great stealth, addictive combat, and loads of variety are all within.

I'm rather impressed that this was all achieved with Unreal Engine 3. Not only is the world map absolutely massive in size, but the loading times between new areas are also incredibly short. Furthermore, playing on PS3, I'm shocked that the framerate is generally so consistent. Some tearing pops up once in a while, but overall, the game runs very smoothly despite pushing the engine to its limits. Anyone notice the bokeh depth of field used while using the first person viewpoint? First time I've seen this used in a UE3 game.

Can't wait to spend some more time playing it later today.

Question: Are the skin codes region locked? Someone has an Animated series skin (he's from Europe) and I have a Dark Knight Returns skin (I'm from the U.S.). Will this trade have a happy ending?

IronRinn

Man, some time between AA and AC I became reeeeeeeeeeeeeally bad at this combat. I must have died five or six times on the opening section alone. Have to relearn the methodical approach.

Also, Nolan North voices 90% of this game (maybe a slight exaggeration).

bumpkin

I imagine most people bought the game from the retailer with the Batman skin they wanted, but it can't hurt to ask... Does anyone have a skin code they'd be willing to trade for a 1970's Batman skin (on Xbox 360)?

In the US, BTW. Not sure if it's been determined whether codes are region locked or not.

Top Bottom