• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

AEREC

Duffyside said:
Ok, this game is very good. That said, the cross-talk is ATROCIOUS. Embarrassingly bad. It wouldn't be so awful if the subtitles at least stayed on screen, but nope. Joker is talking, oh wait no it's Harley, oh no it's both of them at the same time and I can't under-... holy shit, really, now the goons are talking too? WHAT IS GOING ON!?!?

Ya ...that shit does get frustrating. It;s like everytime I hear someone talk I have to stand still for a mintue or 2 so I can catch what they are saying..but alot of time a PA announcement from Strange or Joker just plays over it.

My only complaint a few hours in is that there seems like too much stuff to do in the game and it's hard to focus on the story without worrying about missing something else...even though Im pretty sure you can come back to the hidden/sidequest stuff later.

But really I wish I could move two feet without catching another stupid conversation.

ced

IronRinn said:
Man, some time between AA and AC I became reeeeeeeeeeeeeally bad at this combat. I must have died five or six times on the opening section alone. Have to relearn the methodical approach.

Yeah it's so hard to not button mash, once I forced myself to take it slow the combat rocks.

Tadale

I'm pretty pissed about the pre-release spoiler that had everyone so mad.

I feel intentionally misled. I was actually looking forward to a story where Joker actually 'dies' in the beginning, only to have some neat twist near the end. Did the news outlets not see the part literally ten seconds later that reveals that the joker is in fact, not dead? Or were they told by the publisher and/or developer to say that in their previews?

Jintor

Tadale said:
I'm pretty pissed about the pre-release spoiler that everyone so mad.

I feel intentionally misled. I was actually looking forward to a story where Joker actually 'dies' in the beginning, only to have some neat twist near the end. Did the news outlets not see the part literally ten seconds later that reveals that the joker is in fact, not dead? Or were they told by the publisher and/or developer to say that in their previews?

I didn't see any preview code, but I think it is exceedingly likely that the game might have cut off before getting to that point 'literally ten seconds later'.

Additionally, NDAs are powerful.

ced

You know speaking of pre order bonuses, DLC's etc.

I'm really fucking tired of this BS. Just give everyone the option to enable different costumes, and why the f do I have to enter a code to get catwoman, it's so stupid and annoying.

It's like nowadays there is no way to even protest this with my wallet, every place has some special pre order bonus or every copy has the codes to enable certain things.

Tadale

Jintor said:
I didn't see any preview code, but I think it is exceedingly likely that the game might have cut off before getting to that point 'literally ten seconds later'.

Additionally, NDAs are powerful.

It just seems like the publisher and developer were intentionally trying to make that moment much bigger than it was. So far, it doesn't feel like part of the story at all, but it definitely colored my perception of this game before I played it.

AEREC said:
Ya ...that shit does get frustrating. It;s like everytime I hear someone talk I have to stand still for a mintue or 2 so I can catch what they are saying..but alot of time a PA announcement from Strange or Joker just plays over it.

My only complaint a few hours in is that there seems like too much stuff to do in the game and it's hard to focus on the story without worrying about missing something else...even though Im pretty sure you can come back to the hidden/sidequest stuff later.

But really I wish I could move two feet without catching another stupid conversation.

This, so much.
Anyway, I'm loving the game. The level of detail is amazing, as everyone else has already said. Looking at the city from a high point is jaw-dropping.

I'm about 4 hours in, mostly doing side mission stuff. The AR challenges are messing with my OCD bad, lol. Took me forever to do that first advanced one.

Jintor

Tadale said:
It just seems like the publisher and developer were intentionally trying to make that moment much bigger than it was. So far, it doesn't feel like part of the story at all, but it definitely colored my perception of this game before I played it.

What can I say? Their job is to hype. Everything you hear about the game will colour your perception of the game. What can they do?

I fucking love the conversations, but the crosstalk is incredibly annoying, yeah.

bumpkin said:
I imagine most people bought the game from the retailer with the Batman skin they wanted, but it can't hurt to ask... Does anyone have a skin code they'd be willing to trade for a 1970's Batman skin (on Xbox 360)?

In the US, BTW. Not sure if it's been determined whether codes are region locked or not.
That's what I would like to know. I found on two different websites that it is region locked, but I'm not convinced. I'd like someone to answer here.

putarorex

How many hours of content is the catwoman stuff? I bought the Asia version of the game in Akihabara and can't redeem the code on the Japanese PSN.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
putarorex said:
How many hours of content is the catwoman stuff? I bought the Asia version of the game in Akihabara and can't redeem the code on the Japanese PSN.

Its not that big, maybe 7-10% of the game. How about creating a HK account on psn and redeem there.

Tadale

Jintor said:
What can I say? Their job is to hype. Everything you hear about the game will colour your perception of the game. What can they do?

I fucking love the conversations, but the crosstalk is incredibly annoying, yeah.

To be fair, I'm not usually one to care about minor prerelease spoilers or seeing some new environment or anything like that. I actually like hearing people talk about a game prerelease to hear about what I'll be playing down the line, it just seems particularly egregious and misleading this time.

x-Lundz-x

The opening of this game was pretty epic. I am getting a bit overwhelmed by all the little things to do, but that is not a bad thing. Game is amazing so far.

Jintor

Tadale said:
To be fair, I'm not usually one to care about minor prerelease spoilers or seeing some new environment or anything like that. I actually like hearing people talk about a game prerelease to hear about what I'll be playing down the line, it just seems particularly egregious and misleading this time.

Have you finished the game yet, out of interest? I didn't think it was particularly egragious, really, to a Batman fan...
the Joker has died about seventy bajillion times before, after all.

_RT_

Any reason to think that side stories can all be completed once the main story is done?

I don't want to miss anything.

Dynamic3

Given that I just got my Steam code for this, should I play Asylum in the interim? Note that I have BF3 incoming on Tue.

If so, should I play the PC version, or the PS3 version so that I can access the Joker maps?

Tadale

Jintor said:
Have you finished the game yet, out of interest? I didn't think it was particularly egragious, really, to a Batman fan...
the Joker has died about seventy bajillion times before, after all.

I'm about three hours in, and have mostly been doing side stuff. So my entire opinion of that section could change.

Syrak

Neo Member
I just tried that advanced Augmented Reality (4 or 5) where you fly down through a tunnel just over the water like 15 times in a row. I, apparently, am not good at flying.

RagnarokX

Tadale said:
I'm pretty pissed about the pre-release spoiler that had everyone so mad.

I thought it was funny how big a deal people made about it only for it to be resolved 10 seconds later. If it was that big a deal they wouldn't have revealed it.

I think I know the answer to this, but just checking. I couldn't open a lot of those locked riddler trophies so I went to the church to see him, now I keep finding guys highlighted in green that I have to interrogate and then it says that certain areas are clear or unlocked or something. Does that mean that I'm now able to go get those trophies in those specific areas?

Jintor

Nah, it just indicates the location of the trophies/riddles on your minimap. I'm not aware of 'locked' locations as such.

Ken

Are there upgrades further in the game that make AR challenges easier (like better glide control or something)? I hate leaving them unfinished but spending an hour constantly failing one instead of moving the story along is getting frustrating.

Jintor said:
Nah, it just indicates the location of the trophies/riddles on your minimap. I'm not aware of 'locked' locations as such.

Ah I see thanks! The locked ones were in little cages, and I tried to use the sequencer thing to unlock the panel next to it, but then the Riddler would say "no no no, come see me in the church first" or something. So I guess that means I can get them all now, but the locations are on my map for the areas that I've interrogated people. Thanks!

zlatko

Banned
I just saw the launch trailer and was super impressed. Very well done, BUT when Penguin talks in it it automatically showed how poor the lip syncing can be. Up to that point in the trailer the close ups with faces moving and what is being said is on point, but Penguin and after is some super shitty syncing.

Someone in here mentioned it's an Unreal Engine issue. Is that really the case?

Also, I know I asked before, but I don't think an answer came, but what happened with that PC version contest ? I'll be nabbing the game either tomorrow or the day after, and could hold off if there was a possibility I'd win the PC version. :p

Ken said:
Are there upgrades further in the game that make AR challenges easier (like better glide control or something)? I hate leaving them unfinished but spending an hour constantly failing one instead of moving the story along is getting frustrating.

Do the first 3 immediately to unlock the grapnel boost. You don't really get "anything" for completing the others except Riddler trophies and an achievement. That said, a little practice and you can knock them out quick. I failed a lot, but they make it so easy to grapnel right back to the start I didn't really mind.

Ken

Epyon MX said:
Do the first 3 immediately to unlock the grapnel boost. You don't really get "anything" for completing the others except Riddler trophies and an achievement. That said, a little practice and you can knock them out quick. I failed a lot, but they make it so easy to grapnel right back to the start I didn't really mind.
Do you have any tips for the last mission of the first set of AR missions? The one that
appears when you're looking for the Joker signal by the docks.

Ken said:
Do you have any tips for the last mission of the first set of AR missions? The one that
appears when you're looking for the Joker signal by the docks.
Nothing too specific, but some general tips for gliding:
- Dive bombing really, really speeds you up, so don't dive bomb any longer than you need to (ie when you clear a gate, go back to gliding).
- Dont pull up out of a dive too hard & quick. There's a lot of inertia and you will easily overshoot your target. (ie, you will rise up much more than you wanted.)
- In general, stay on the higher side of the targets, it's a lot easier to drop down a bit (you can even dive bomb in very short bursts) than it is to gain altitude again.

I hope that helps. The next set of Advanced AR Trainings are really tough, but damn, I feel like Batman when I pull off those complicated swoops and glides. Good luck.

augmental

Alright, probably been asked / said a million times and I apologize, but...anyone want to trade a (360) BATMAN BEYOND for a Dark Knight or 1970s Batman skin? PM me if you do, thanks.

EDIT - 360 skin

SalsaShark said:
That is a worry for me. You probably mean on the "he's in all games!" sense, but it might sound silly but ive heard so much fucking dialogue in this game compared to the first one. And the worst part is that it comes in ways of one-liners and shit. Batman saying "THIS AINT GONNA BE PRETTY" cracking his knucles, what the fuck man, that's not Batman at all.
Actually I just meant he voices a copious amount of thugs. He's EVERYWHERE in this game.

Ya know when you play a game so good you don't even want to go to school/work the next day and try to think about a million excuses to get out of it?

Yeah. This game. I can tell November will NOT be a very productive month for me.

hamchan

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Ya know when you play a game so good you don't even want to go to school/work the next day and try to think about a million excuses to get out of it?

Yeah. This game. I can tell November will NOT be a very productive month for me.
Over the last three days I've played this game 8 hours per day. Haven't had an experience with a game like that for a while.

Top Bottom