• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Epyon MX said:
Do the first 3 immediately to unlock the grapnel boost. You don't really get "anything" for completing the others except Riddler trophies and an achievement.

I was kind of ticked off when I completed the other 4 AR challenges after receiving the grapnel boost. I thought I would get another bonus gadget or add-on. Disappointed.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The Voice Speaks: KEVIN CONROY on BATMAN: ARKHAM CITY

conroy-batman-catwoman.jpg

:bow

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Ya know when you play a game so good you don't even want to go to school/work the next day and try to think about a million excuses to get out of it?

Yeah. This game. I can tell November will NOT be a very productive month for me.

Since I can't skip work it was the opposite for me. I turned it off 30 minutes before I typically go to sleep because I want to "savor" it. I don't want it to be over; it's so good.

So how many of you think there are too many villains in this game? Because in my first hour last night I feel like I was introduced to way too many of them already, and I don't think I've even seen all of them that are in the game.

Kinda feels.......messy.

hamchan

BruiserBear said:
So how many of you think there are too many villains in this game? Because in my first hour last night I feel like I was introduced to way too many of them already, and I don't think I've even seen all of them that are in the game.

Kinda feels.......messy.
There are less villains than I was expecting there to be.

nel e nel

IronRinn said:
Man, some time between AA and AC I became reeeeeeeeeeeeeally bad at this combat. I must have died five or six times on the opening section alone. Have to relearn the methodical approach.

Also, Nolan North voices 90% of this game (maybe a slight exaggeration).

Ha! I was having the same experience last night. The tutorials are also very minimal, which is fine by me, but it took me a bit longer than usual to get into the groove of the game. I haven't had a combat combo above 10 yet, but I'm getting better with each encounter.

Nolan North? Are you sure you don't mean Steven Blum? Dude has been in damn near every new release I've played since Bulletstorm. Also, did anyone else notice that
the lady who voices Ashley Williams from Mass Effect is one of the SWAT team members in the church where you first meet Harley?

BruiserBear said:

Kinda feels.......messy.

Except you were already introduced to quite a few of them in Arkham Asylum:
Joker, Harley, Zsasz, and Bane, off the top of my head.

Plus, one of the greatest things about Batman is his Rogues Gallery. Easily the best roster in the world of superheroes.

The Lamp

Had zero interest in this until I stumbled upon the OP....crap....is there a way to still get the Catwoman DLC with purchase of the game? If not I'll probably just hold off until GOTY edition.

LosDaddie

Banned
VindictiveGnome said:
I heard you can use them in the campaign after you beat it once. And of course you can use them in challenge maps.

Damn, is that right? :(

I was thinking about getting the CE for the 1970's (blue) Batman skin, but not if I can't use it during the campaign.

Loto

The Lamp said:
Had zero interest in this until I stumbled upon the OP....crap....is there a way to still get the Catwoman DLC with purchase of the game? If not I'll probably just hold off until GOTY edition.
I think all new copies come with Catwoman DLC

BruiserBear said:

Kinda feels.......messy.
I think the problem is that people seem to think that all of these DC villains are going to play a large role in the game instead of them just being a boss or relatively small role. If no one knew any of the characters or settings, I don't think the amount of villains would get nearly as much scrutiny. Like Assasin's Creed 2, there are tons of bad guys and villains. I believe the main villain switches off two or three times to different people as well as there being side missions dedicated to stopping bad guys. However, I never heard one complaint about too many villains in the Assasin's Creed games. I don't see why it should be a negative here. I also don't get the complaint that some villains don't make sense in the game. The game's setting is all Gotham/Batman villains in one city.

Xevren

God damn I love this game. Been dicking around the city too much and need to get on with the story. Finished the AR challenges and had a lot of fun with those.

Stupid question - but out of fear of hitting random spoilers via a google search I'll ask here - where are the AR missions?

I'm wanting the grapple upgrade before I dive into the game but I can't find the missions.

Semi related: I never had a problem with manuals not being included until now. This absolutely blows having to go online to a message board to ask (then wait) for an answer that could have been solved in under a minute had the developer included the fucking manual.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Dynamic3 said:
Is the suit degradation dynamic, or does everyone look the same at the end?
Leads me to another question. Is the weather dynamic? or is it in one place constantly snowing like in Mr. Freeze area?

cackhyena

Dynamic3 said:
Is the suit degradation dynamic, or does everyone look the same at the end?
Tied to the story progression. We all see the same thing. I was actually surprised at how quickly we start seeing the tear down of the suit.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
That downloading thing kills me, agh, forgot I was downloading a demo last night and it finished and Batman booted me to the menu, it was a Need for Speed demo...not DLC. :p

Okay, what the fuck. I need help. I'm just a little bit after the Freeze encounter...

I'm infiltrating Joker's steel mill, and I've been using the freeze weapon to jump on blocks of ice and pull myself through the water. I'm at a part where I seemingly have to use a remote controlled batarang to short out a fuse box so I can continue on, but I've spent the past twenty minutes trying it, and I've hit the box at least ten times and nothing happens.
Halp!

W Hudson

Nealand Liquor said:
Stupid question - but out of fear of hitting random spoilers via a google search I'll ask here - where are the AR missions?

I'm wanting the grapple upgrade before I dive into the game but I can't find the missions.

Semi related: I never had a problem with manuals not being included until now. This absolutely blows having to go online to a message board to ask (then wait) for an answer that could have been solved in under a minute had the developer included the fucking manual.

They become available pretty early on in the game. Once they are, they show up on your map. I think its with a little "W" or something. But from what I remember it wasn't too hard to find them. Just set a custom waypoint and you should be good.

W Hudson

Mr. Paer said:
Okay, what the fuck. I need help. I'm just a little bit after the Freeze encounter...

I'm infiltrating Joker's steel mill, and I've been using the freeze weapon to jump on blocks of ice and pull myself through the water. I'm at a part where I seemingly have to use a remote controlled batarang to short out a fuse box so I can continue on, but I've spent the past twenty minutes trying it, and I've hit the box at least ten times and nothing happens.
Halp!

Ha had the same problem. You need to:

Fly the batarang through the electricity right in front of you in order to "charge" it to start the fuse box.

cackhyena

Nealand Liquor said:

You complete the first set of AR missions on the east side of the map to obtain it. It doesn't take long at all.

W Hudson said:
Ha had the same problem. You need to:

Fly the batarang through the electricity right in front of you in order to "charge" it to start the fuse box.
Lucc said:
You need to steer it through the electricity line first. And then into the fuse box.
Of course! God damn, if only I would have asked myself "What would Batman do?" first

Thanks guys!

Sullichin

Ok, so the part after the "Kotaku spoiler" in the beginning of the game, where it
switches to Catwoman for the Poision Ivy mission. Would it have skipped this Catwoman part if I didn't redeem the DLC code?

Mr. Paer said:

Halp!

You have to fly through that electric sparkling thing on the right top corner and "load" your batarang with it. Then press L1 + R1 (on PS3) to turn and hit the fuse box.

Edit: .....

kodecraft

zoner said:
Ok so, minus the slutty walk and whatnot. Catwoman plays EXACTLY how Spider-man SHOULD play

This. I thought this to myself last night traversing the city climbing upside down on the ceilings
, flipping about....awesome.

W Hudson

Sullichin said:
Ok, so the part after the "Kotaku spoiler" in the beginning of the game, where it
switches to Catwoman for the Poision Ivy mission. Would it have skipped this Catwoman part if I didn't redeem the DLC code?

From what I understand, yes.

W Hudson said:
They become available pretty early on in the game. Once they are, they show up on your map. I think its with a little "W" or something. But from what I remember it wasn't too hard to find them. Just set a custom waypoint and you should be good.

cackhyena said:
You complete the first set of AR missions on the east side of the map to obtain it. It doesn't take long at all.

Ok thanks a ton!
I felt like I was going blind looking through all the menus and not finding it.

bubnbob

Banned
overcast said:
So I saw a little easter egg type thing. Don't highlight, you will ruin an AWESOME moment.
I'm not too far in the game, just started Riddlers games. I was going through an alley when I cam across the spot where Bruce Wayne's parents died. Holy shit, that was incredible. Goosebumps

This game.

You forgot the achievement!

Pay your respects (press A), and leave it there for a few minutes

Raxus

Playing on hard mode is the only way to play. It forces you to master the combat.

Changes to the combat:
RT is only used for crouch and takedowns now. I dunno if the new slide move can be used to lead into an attack.
The gadgets have all been simplified. LT LT is still batarang but holding LT and pressing each of the face buttons also uses specific gadgets. You have to unlock 3 but there are 2 available out the outset (The new battle explosive gel and the batarang)
I performed the dangling interrogation on a thug. It was satisfying. The amount of animations in this game is crazy.
Crowd control seems to have been nerfed in this game. There is a multi stun (Bat Swarm) move you can unlock that replaces the throw. On top of that there is a weapon destruction take down (I dunno if it works on melee weapons yet) and, my favorite, the ground batarang finisher. The batarang finisher is the combat move to get early game on harder difficulties. It helps you thin the field quickly and allow for fancier combat.
The stun move is now a critical move in your arsenal. Triple stunning puts regular enemies to the ground and stuns larger enemies. Great for finishing the last guy with the ground pound. The beat down with the regular stun is tricky to pull off on hard mode since there is always an enemy on your ass to attack you.
Ground pound has been nerfed. It takes forever to perform and it is harder to counter out of it. I keep making a mistake and doing accidental ground pounds (mostly do to my wires getting crossed on performing a batclaw).
Triple counters are so satisfying. I swung a guy like a hammer into his friends.
Thank god batman learned to catch objects. Too bad it doesn't work with the multiple counter (from what I have seen).
Armored guys and the knife guys are easy peasy compared to AA's.
Evasion is still as godly as it was in AA.
I still have to experiment with advanced free flow but so far I like it.
49x 75 ground pound bitches!

Gadgets:
Only tinkered a bit with the new gadgets.
You can slow the remote controlled batarang.
You want to upgrade your decrypter as soon as you can.
All the new gadgets are surprisingly useful in and out of combat.

AEREC

Raxus said:
Playing on hard mode is the only way to play. It forces you to master the combat.

Changes to the combat:
RT is only used for crouch and takedowns now. I dunno if the new slide move can be used to lead into an attack.
The gadgets have all been simplified. LT LT is still batarang but holding LT and pressing each of the face buttons also uses specific gadgets. You have to unlock 3 but there are 2 available out the outset (The new battle explosive gel and the batarang)
I performed the dangling interrogation on a thug. It was satisfying. The amount of animations in this game is crazy.
Crowd control seems to have been nerfed in this game. There is a multi stun (Bat Swarm) move you can unlock that replaces the throw. On top of that there is a weapon destruction take down (I dunno if it works on melee weapons yet) and, my favorite, the ground batarang finisher. The batarang finisher is the combat move to get early game on harder difficulties. It helps you thin the field quickly and allow for fancier combat.
The stun move is now a critical move in your arsenal. Triple stunning puts regular enemies to the ground and stuns larger enemies. Great for finishing the last guy with the ground pound. The beat down with the regular stun is tricky to pull off on hard mode since there is always an enemy on your ass to attack you.
Ground pound has been nerfed. It takes forever to perform and it is harder to counter out of it. I keep making a mistake and doing accidental ground pounds (mostly do to my wires getting crossed on performing a batclaw).
Triple counters are so satisfying. I swung a guy like a hammer into his friends.
Thank god batman learned to catch objects. Too bad it doesn't work with the multiple counter (from what I have seen).
Armored guys and the knife guys are easy peasy compared to AA's.
Evasion is still as godly as it was in AA.
I still have to experiment with advanced free flow but so far I like it.
49x 75 ground pound bitches!

I went straight for hard based on the fact that Hard in AA was still way too easy...also sad to see there's no achievement for beating the game on hard this time around.

I will say that AC feel like a bit more of a challenge than AA so far... but I could just be rusty.

Raxus

AEREC said:
I went straight for hard based on the fact that Hard in AA was still way too easy...also sad to see there's no achievement for beating the game on hard this time around.

I will say that AC feel like a bit more of a challenge than AA so far... but I could just be rusty.
I just have to get used to the new combat system. Having all the gadgets assigned to LT makes sense on paper but I really miss having easier access to my batclaw. All the crowd control items (triple batclaw and batarang) made the previous game really easy so I am not shocked they got removed.

I forgot to mention there seems to be a lot more leeway to dropping a combo through inaction now so you can think about what gadgets to use.

AEREC

LosDaddie said:
So you really can't use the skins for the campaign? Only on a New GAme + campaign. :\

That would be a bummer...was looking forward to using Catwoman's "Long Halloween" skin in campaign...its practically a nude skin =p

DrBo42

Does anyone know how you get the TAS skin as a powerup rewards member or whatever the fuck is going on at Gamestop? Did you have to pre-order as well?

AEREC

God damn...the amount of random dialogue in this game is killing me...it's like a constant stream of idiots talking.

I wish there was a way to turn off the scanner..it picks up on every single "bad guy" conversation from a mile away.

As a reminder to everyone, you can get the Batman Beyond skin by buying (not drinking) one can of NOS.

I'm glad it's only one, not something random draw thing. And just remember, you don't have to drink it. :p

Top Bottom