• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

FINALBOSS

Banned
SamuraiX- said:
Whoa! Fuck yeah! Never heard about this.

Is it possible to just steal a code off a can or do I actually have to buy it? :-/

You can call me cheap or whatever, but I just rather not throw away the whole can without drinking anything and be wasteful.

It's 2 bucks...just drink the damn stuff. NOS tastes delicious and there's a sugar free version (It's the one I always buy).

789shadow said:
Okay, I have no idea what to do with these Riddler pressure plates. No fucking clue. Help?

you have to bounce off the walls and hit them in succession without touching the ground.

basically find a high vantage point, glide to the one that is higher on the wall, it will light up then bounce off the wall with a button press as prompted glide across to any other plates and repeat that button press to glide off the wall again and finally land on the one that is typically situated somewhere on the ground next to the actual trophy.

psykomyko

Man, the part with
Ra's Al Ghul
was amazing, best part so far. And
Robin
appearing was cool too.

I was completely obsessed with Dark Souls, then this comes out and I want to play both of them...I'll probably just beat this and take a break from Dark Souls.

For those curious, it's not a peel off sticker for the NOS code, you have to actually buy one. And my god is this shit disgusting, the things I do for anything Batman related.

AcIlYNYCEAAdVb6.jpg:large

just played couple hours last night started in hard. man i got my ass kicked. so i went to the challenge maps to hone my skills and picked robin. wow, i didn't expect robin's combat to be so different. love his counters and double kick take downs. some of his moves are really slick. though now hearing the guy who sold his robin for $24 on ebay, maybe i couldve done the same lol.

this game is freaking awesome. so much content here. i love games that really match the worth of $60 and beyond. this game is just that, and doing it all in single player. i've questioned how they are going to top AA but they did it. i have no doubt they will do it again. though the only way to top this will have to be online coop. either as batman + robin, knightwing, catwoman, or batgirl.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
TangoAlphaLima said:
Yeah, there's no possible way it could start the same way if you don't have the Catwoman DLC, because
in the first scene of the game, you get to play as Catwoman.

Goddammit, I started the game while it downloaded, since I assumed it was optional side shit instead of integrated into the story. God DAMN it.

Carbonox

VindictiveGnome said:
Yeah, that's what I meant. The black/red wings. They are more wings, than cape.

Brilliant, thanks for confirming. :) Awesome news indeed.

Now, someone give me a Batman Beyond code. :p Stupid that no where here (UK) is doing a promo like NOS for things like these.

GQman2121

Banned
I'm four hours in, playing on hard and taking it slow, but did they really leave in the counter reversal notification when playing on the highest setting? I liked not seeing it in AA.

Also, the hand holding this late into the game is beyond unnecessary. I understand how to run and climb; I know to hold X to glide; I can figure puzzles out on my own! How do I turn this type of shit off?

SamuraiX-

FINALBOSS said:
It's 2 bucks...just drink the damn stuff. NOS tastes delicious and there's a sugar free version (It's the one I always buy).

Energy drinks just make me feel like complete shit for the rest of the day.

I'm a coffee guy.

I definitely look into picking up that sugar free can though.

GQman2121 said:
I'm four hours in, playing on hard and taking it slow, but did they really leave in the counter reversal notification when playing on the highest setting? I liked not seeing it in AA.

Also, the hand holding this late into the game is beyond unnecessary. I understand how to run and climb; I know to hold X to glide; I can figure puzzles out on my own! How do I turn this type of shit off?
...it's right there in Game Options.

Sullichin

GQman2121 said:

You can turn off hints in the menu. I did it immediately when the game straight up told me what to do next because I didn't figure it out instantly.

Do the random thugs respawn throughout the map? I took out a bunch near Joker's hideout, and it's so quiet there now. Even when I went to the other side of the map and back, there was no one there.

(I guess maybe it's to prevent farming goons for XP, but I don't want to clear the city out.)

Cheska

So how do you change costumes for the main storyline and is it possible to change the difficulty once you've started? Haven't been able to find that option.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Finished the game. Damn, that was an amazing experience. Definitely better than Arkham Asylum. Good job Rocksteady!

Cheska said:
So how do you change costumes for the main storyline and is it possible to change the difficulty once you've started? Haven't been able to find that option.
Beat the game once. You can use them in challenge maps. I see no option to change the difficulty in the options.

GQman2121

Banned
Sullichin said:
You can turn off hints in the menu. I did it immediately when the game straight up told me what to do next because I didn't figure it out instantly.
I turned hints off at the pause menu and it was still telling me how to glide while on the roof tops. I'll have to check it out again after work and make sure it didn't turn back on for whatever reason.

Played the catwoman missions. Totally disappointing. What the hell was that? Really short...felt like a cheap DLC.

Good: You can free-roam with her after finishing the main story. And combat is also great.

Mindman

GQman2121 said:
I turned hints off at the pause menu and it was still telling me how to glide while on the roof tops. I'll have to check it out again after work and make sure it didn't turn back on for whatever reason.

I don't think those hints actually turn off with that setting. Is there a way to turn off the control hints?

LosDaddie

Banned
Square Triangle said:
For those curious, it's not a peel off sticker for the NOS code, you have to actually buy one. And my god is this shit disgusting, the things I do for anything Batman related.

Are the NOS cans specially marked so you know which ones give you the code?

The perfect Dark said:
Played the catwoman missions. Totally disappointing. What the hell was that? Really short...felt like a cheap DLC.

Good: You can free-roam with her after finishing the main story. And combat is also great.

dude what are you talking about? You could free roam with catwoman as soon as her second chapter

holy shit i love the slide takedowns!

from a ledge, and when the bat sign comes up on a thug, press x to initiate the takedown.. but instead of gliding, dive towards the thug and batman will do a "slide" takedown and it's awesome.

badcrumble said:
My feelings on this are mixed. I feel like
the opening would be a lot better if it just launched straight into the Bruce Wayne bit, even though I understand that there's nowhere else to put that particular Catwoman scene if you want to preserve the pacing of the opening.

Catwoman stuff makes sense to me to be in the beginning. It explains why Batman has to find her to get info on what is going on in the city. She has been there longer then him and knows about the different factions inside the city.

I finished the game a couple hours ago. I'm currently doing the side quests now. I loved the game. Definitely better than Arkham Asylum. I really liked all the thugs dialogs. Their reactions to things going on in the story. Nice touch. I have a few questions about the last quarter of the game.
I really liked the clay face reveal, but what was the point of it? The joker had the cure to begin with, why didn't he take it? Why pretend he took it?

BuddyC

Anabuhabkuss said:
Guys, how many unique moves can you do in a combo? I was a master at the combo in the first game but its been two years or so and am missing it here.

Strike
Counter
Batarang
Jump over
Throw (both or is one enough?)
strike while they're down
Bat cape

...what else? Grappler?
I'm not sure if it breaks the combo or not, but you can quick-set and quick-detonate explosive gel. Got some extra points for that in one of the challenge maps last night.

keltickennedy said:
Catwoman stuff makes sense to me to be in the beginning. It explains why Batman has to find her to get info on what is going on in the city. She has been there longer then him and knows about the different factions inside the city.
Sure, but I feel like the game would be better without that first Catwoman scene. It's super brief and it's bad for the pacing of the game's opening.

DrBo42

macfoshizzle said:
holy shit i love the slide takedowns!

from a ledge, and when the bat sign comes up on a thug, press x to initiate the takedown.. but instead of gliding, dive towards the thug and batman will do a "slide" takedown and it's awesome.
The velocity version of this is fucking amazing.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Is this the first open world Unreal Engine 3 game? I'm excited to play and try and figure out how they managed to do it. Heavy use of level steaming?

Anabuhabkuss said:
Guys, how many unique moves can you do in a combo? I was a master at the combo in the first game but its been two years or so and am missing it here.

Strike
Counter
Batarang
Jump over
Throw (both or is one enough?)
strike while they're down
Bat cape

...what else? Grappler?
It depends how far in the game you are, but here's my list:

strike
counter
dodge roll
cape stun
combo takedown
combo bat swarm
combo multi-ground takedown
combo weapon destroy
batarang
batclaw
explosive gel
lightning charge
freeze grenade
beat down*
jump attack*

The * denotes thing that I'm not sure if they are included in a variation bonus. They are both followups to stunning the target, beat down being mash the strike button and jump attack being jump over a stunned target. There's also a variety of interesting moves you can perform as initiators from high places that I don't think count either.

DrBo42 said:
Oh wtf. They come out of his back instead of his sides.
I actually like it from a gameplay perspective because they occupy less of the screen than his bigass cape does.

badcrumble said:
Sure, but I feel like the game would be better without that first Catwoman scene. It's super brief and it's bad for the pacing of the game's opening.

I wasn't crazy about the pacing in the opening anyway. Seemed like a lot of crap happening really quickly. I prefer a more measured approach.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
With my Catwoman code not working, is it wiser to wait for it to work or should I jump in and play the CW-missions later on?

FINALBOSS

Banned
Square Triangle said:
Any can or bottle the codes are under the cap or under the tab.

Wrong.

The cans are specially marked saying there's a reward code under the tab.

A lot of stores probably have old/back stock without the rewards label.

DodgerSan

Sunflower said:
Goddammit, I started the game while it downloaded, since I assumed it was optional side shit instead of integrated into the story. God DAMN it.
So, just for the hell of it, I'm going to start my game without d/l. Then quit after the opening, download and restart. That about the size of it?

TangoAlphaLima said:
I wasn't crazy about the pacing in the opening anyway. Seemed like a lot of crap happening really quickly. I prefer a more measured approach.
I would prefer something somewhere between the opening of Arkham Asylum (which was like 9 minutes of dawdling through the front door of the Asylum) and the opening of AC (which was like 5 minutes of HOLY FUCK). I kind of wish there had been a bit more of a recap built into the game of the shit that was apparently in the comics explaining the origins of Arkham City in Gotham.

S1kkZ

DodgerSan said:
So, just for the hell of it, I'm going to start my game without d/l. Then quit after the opening, download and restart. That about the size of it?
wont work. if you dont want the catwoman episodes in your main story, finish the story first and then download her.

Top Bottom