• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Played a bit this morning. Absolutely great game and top notch presentation. Really looking forward to sinking a fair bit of my time into this gem.

Rocksteady, er-um, ROCKS!!!

DodgerSan

S1kkZ said:
wont work. if you dont want the catwoman episodes in your main story, finish the story first and then download her.
No, I mean just to see the different opening. Or is it really not worth it?

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Anabuhabkuss said:
I'm assuming so. the only brief load scenes I've seen is when you exit/enter a building (see: dungeon) and when you die.
I'm assuming they are also really using the LOD heavily with being able to see the entire cityscape from on top of buildings.

TheExodu5

Banned
Heh, I kind of wish I bought it on console just so I could get the Futureshop Steelbook:

originalfh.jpg

S1kkZ

DodgerSan said:
No, I mean just to see the different opening. Or is it really not worth it?
its not worth it. the catwoman stuff in the main story feels weird and out of place.
i would start the game without the dlc first, i think the opening works much better that way.

krameriffic said:
I kind of wish there had been a bit more of a recap built into the game of the shit that was apparently in the comics explaining the origins of Arkham City in Gotham.

Definitely. For a game that seems like such a natural extension of its predecessor (even giving you the same gadgets from AA), it seems very strange that the stories weren't woven together better. I'm sure DC Comics had something to do with that, trying to boost sales and all.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
S1kkZ said:
its not worth it. the catwoman stuff in the main story feels weird and out of place.

That's your opinion.

Most reviews said the Catwoman parts are fantastic and fit great into the main story.

DrBo42

S1kkZ said:
i would start the game without the dlc first, i think the opening works much better that way.
Eh, it's a nice change of pace from Batman's locomotion and combat abilities. Plus, dat ass.

krameriffic said:
I kind of wish there had been a bit more of a recap built into the game of the shit that was apparently in the comics explaining the origins of Arkham City in Gotham.

Apparently there's already a hardcover graphic novel version of the events between AA and AC. Only $13.66 on Amazon. I would've thought they'd only have single issues out that this point. I might actually buy.

Can you change difficulty mid-game? I started last night on Normal since there's no trophy related to difficulty, and the enemies don't show counter indicators until NG+ anyways.

I'm going to restart since I didn't have the Catwoman DLC pre-installed anyways. I only ever played AA on hard, so I figure this game can't be harder regardless.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
S1kkZ said:

It is worth it in my opinion.

nel e nel

Noriega said:
I know that lol but I was just wondering if I got lucky and it was my best buy that did that. Nobody has said anything about this, plus it's a free download of a good movie (so I heard)

I know that some editions had a copy of UtRH and some had I believe Year One. My Best Buy only had the Robin DLC.

I want to ask this again on the new page because I really can't figure out this part of the ending,
What was the point of clay face pretending to be joker? Why didn't he just take the cure when he had it?

the game is fun and the combat is excellent

the TEXTURE POP IN ON THE MAIN VILLIANS IS INCREDIBLE.

fucking unreal engine 3 needs to be BANNED from console use. load up the first challenge room. that door will morph in front of your eyes.

quinntendopower said:

fucking unreal engine 3 needs to be BANNED from console use. load up the first challenge room. that door will morph in front of your eyes.
The graphics are poo on the consoles anyway so I don't really mind/notice the pop in.

S1kkZ

quinntendopower said:

i never had any texture pop-in (only noticed it 2 times on a door). only time where the texture pop-up is the character model viewer. (360 version, installed)

S1kkZ said:

Nonsense, the Catwoman parts are awesome.

malfcn

I must have missed something. In the steel mill and all the goons are saying Harley killed Batman
. It isn't covered in the synopsis. I played while being exhausted.

Az

quinntendopower said:

Don't say itttttt. Now I will notice and shit, usually I dont catch those things since I am too into the story thinking I am Batman.

spidye

Is the catwoman code working for everybody? psn doesn't accept my code.

and a quick question about the ps3 version. did anyone else notice framedrops while gliding outside?

BY2K

Membero Americo
The NOS code thing doesn't seem to be available in Canada. So poop.

A shame, because I love that stuff.

see5harp

quinntendopower said:

Please tell me this is better than Rage on PS3. It simply cannot be worse than that.

see5harp said:
Please tell me this is better than Rage on PS3. It simply cannot be worse than that.

It's honestly not bad at all compared to a lot of Unreal games. I've only noticed it once so far. The camera quickly panned to penguin and I had to wait for his wrinkles to pop in. Lol.

Aside from that one instance I haven't noticed any pop in.

I'm on 360 though, just for the record.

So what do you guys who have played it so far think about hard vs. normal? I'm a competent if unremarkable gamer, I finished Arkham Asylum on normal and got frustrated in a couple of places(Bane fight, predator sequence or two), but mostly sailed through it. My concern is that normal will be less satisfying, but I also don't want to end up trying lots of sequences over dozens of times.

malfcn said:
I must have missed something. In the steel mill and all the goons are saying Harley killed Batman
. It isn't covered in the synopsis. I played while being exhausted.
Those morons thought that the exploding church tower actually killed the got damned Batman. Idiots.

Conciliator said:
So what do you guys who have played it so far think about hard vs. normal? I'm a competent if unremarkable gamer, I finished Arkham Asylum on normal and got frustrated in a couple of places(Bane fight, predator sequence or two), but mostly sailed through it. My concern is that normal will be less satisfying, but I also don't want to end up trying lots of sequences over dozens of times.

Play on Normal if that's all you did AA on.

I platinum'd Asylum and while Hard isn't overly frustrating, I do get my ass handed to me from time to time.

Conciliator said:
If you have trouble with the combat then it might not be for you. Personally I find the combat (even on hard) to be the easiest part of the game. The predator sections tend to be more challenging for me since the AI is a lot less stupid and they keep giving them new tricks.

Conciliator said:

I think normal is fine to start with. The difficultly curve is nice towards the end, when they start to mix up the enemy types. I played through on normal because I knew that new game+ is practically hard mode after beating the game. The new enemies are sweet too. The opening Catwoman scene actually had knife and shield wielding thugs. Pretty awesome.

Another reason I started on normal is so I can still see the counter symbols when playing the challenges. The later challenge rooms get packed full of enemies and it becomes a lot harder to read their attack animations, especially when you are looking to perform double and triple counter attacks.

keltickennedy said:
I think normal is fine to start with. The difficultly curve is nice towards the end, when they start to mix up the enemy types. I played through on normal because I knew that new game+ is practically hard mode after beating the game. The new enemies are sweet too. The opening Catwoman scene actually had knife and shield wielding thugs. Pretty awesome.

Another reason I started on normal is so I can still see the counter symbols when playing the challenges. The later challenge rooms get packed full of enemies and it becomes a lot harder to read their attack animations, especially when you are looking to perform double and triple counter attacks.

Hard mode has the counter symbols now.

Mindman

Square Triangle said:
Is the terribly compressed cutscenes part of the engine, bad coding or because it's on a DVD? It bothers me so much =(

I looked hard for compression on the 360 version custscenes, and I can't make out any.

AEREC

GQman2121 said:
I'm four hours in, playing on hard and taking it slow, but did they really leave in the counter reversal notification when playing on the highest setting? I liked not seeing it in AA.

Also, the hand holding this late into the game is beyond unnecessary. I understand how to run and climb; I know to hold X to glide; I can figure puzzles out on my own! How do I turn this type of shit off?

Way too many games are doing this kind of crap lately...LA noire had turorial mode on throughout the whole game...it was annoying as hell.

Unfortunately though I dont think you can turn it off.

W Hudson

keltickennedy said:

I am starting on normal mainly for the replay value. I'll then do a run on Hard, then on NG+. My final playthrough will be on Hard with no upgrades, same as my final playthrough on AA. That kicked my ass pretty good, imagine it will be even tougher this time around.

AEREC said:
Way too many games are doing this kind of crap lately...LA noire had turorial mode on throughout the whole game...it was annoying as hell.

Unfortunately though I dont think you can turn it off.
I feel like they keep telling us that stuff because there's about 12000 things bound to the different button combinations on the controller. It doesn't really bug me because I know if I came back to playing a save after an extended period of time I would forget a lot of the controls.

spidye

Am I getting this right. If you don't have the catwoman code you will have a slightly different opening and story sequences than normal?
somehow my psn doesn't accept the catwoman code and I am now a little bit worried.

Zeth

I started the game before downloading Catwoman. Went back and played the first section I missed, but will the rest of her sections appear normally in my game or do I need to start fresh?

abundant

spidye said:
Am I getting this right. If you don't have the catwoman code you will have a slightly different opening and story sequences than normal?
somehow my psn doesn't accept the catwoman code and I am now a little bit worried.
Did you watch the E3 Catwoman demo? That's exactly how the game starts if you have it downloaded. It then cuts to the real opening.

S1kkZ

spidye said:
you dont miss anything, you can select the catwoman episodes from the main menu.
the only thing you miss, is that the episodes are mixed into the main story.

spidye

abundant said:
Did you watch the E3 Catwoman demo? That's exactly how the game starts if you have it downloaded. It then cuts to the real opening.
nope. went on a media-blackout.
that's so stupid. fuck you sony and wb.

spidye

ok, this is really frustating. my batman earth one skin code worked just fine but the catwoman code still gives me an error.
is it because I got the game 2 days earlier than the official release date here in germany/austria

Top Bottom