• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Nose Master

The perfect Dark said:
Arkham City has more content.

Arkham Asylum is the better game (better and a longer storyline, better villains, better dialogue).

Sidequests in Arkham City are also disappointing. Very simple and boring (in GTA you would ignore them). Destroy that, follow this ..it's always the same. And: they are short. The quests itself can be completed in 1-2 minutes. The overall quests last longer but they consist of the same (1-2 minute-) missions again and again.

Arkham city is a very good game. I liked it....but Arkham Asylum was the better experience imo.

Completely agree. It went from feeling like Metroid Prime to GTA3.

Zeth

I was seriously disliking the game because of the predator rooms and detective mode. Everything seemed a little too dark. Just switched the RGB on PS3 back to "limited" and it's noticeably better. Is that normal? Panny plasma btw.

Prophet Steve said:
We buy a game full priced and because Warner Bros. doesn't seem to trust his customers we are stuck with content we cannot play. I know there is a attitude for a lot of things, especially on NeoGAF, but I do have to agree with that this really terrible from Warner Bros.
You probably wouldn't even have a Catwoman mission if it wasn't for the new purchase incentive.

I don't understand what you mean by trust.

GQman2121

Banned
PS3 Owners: I've created a dummy account for the Batman Beyond skin. I don't know how many times it can be shared from one account, but PM if you want the log-in details.

15766-detail.jpg

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Zeth said:
I was seriously disliking the game because of the predator rooms and detective mode. Everything seemed a little too dark. Just switched the RGB on PS3 back to "limited" and it's noticeably better. Is that normal? Panny plasma btw.
You should be using limited and not full. Full crushes dark detail.

LeonSKennedy90 said:
No, I've actually seen a lot "This isn't as good as Arkham Asylum" posts on various message boards, for a variety of valid reasons, I think
I'm undecided as far as story goes but as far as gameplay... I don't even...

man this game is so damn good. LOL @
Robin.....It's funny how Batman talks to him like a little bitch....Batman is such a douche in this game lol

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
It get's really dangerous in here. I already know
Gordon
is in the game. I really wanted that as a surprise cause no trailer showed anything of him or her....

Please someone make a spoiler thread!

Edit: Great, thanks BY2K.

nice thread title lol

Amir0x

Banned
I like this game, but so far I would say Arkham Asylum is the better game. It's more focused, the set piece were far superior with much more impressive level design. The guided structured level design makes for more polished gameplay and mission design, and I didn't know I'd be saying this about a Batman game but it just seems to work better that way. I really, really miss it. The Riddler puzzles are better here, for sure, but other than that... it feels like a step back. Or at least, it's a much "different" Batman game and I'm not sure it's what I wanted. I liked getting to an area in the previous game and knowing this is "such and such's place", and then having to go through really sweet set pieces with immersive, detailed and layered levels. In this game, much of that is pulled back. Areas belonging to specific enemies aren't as impressive. The city itself is "impressive", but I think it's missing that punch of the individualized areas of the first game which seemed far more meaty.

I don't know maybe those areas begin to expand and become more impressive with later game missions, but the early game story content is very disappointing. Story/Enemy specific areas are much shorter, less involving.

It's by no means a bad game, and the combat has been improved definitely and it's fun... but I just think I prefer the previous games structure more. It's a preference and I think I hope for Arkham City/Asylum 3 they go back.

augmental

RoboPlato said:
You should be using limited and not full. Full crushes dark detail.

Out of curiosity, do you know if I should be using RGB or YCrCb via HDMI on 360? I use a 720P Pioneer plasma and I just started using HDMI for 360 instead of component.

S1kkZ

would be awesome if someone could create a dummy account for the robin or earth one costume (360). i would buy the stuff but i will be playing other games in december.

The perfect Dark said:
Arkham City has more content.

Arkham Asylum is the better game (better and a longer storyline, better villains, better dialogue).

THE hell are you talking about? Most of the villians in AA are in this game with a buttload more. On top of that, Alot of the Boss fights in AA were just the samething repeated but with a few more obstacles. AC is alot more varied (At least so far).

The perfect Dark said:
Sidequests in Arkham City are also disappointing. Very simple and boring (in GTA you would ignore them). Destroy that, follow this ..it's always the same. And: they are short. The quests itself can be completed in 1-2 minutes. The overall quests last longer but they consist of the same (1-2 minute-) missions again and again.

Arkham city is a very good game. I liked it....but Arkham Asylum was the better experience imo.
What? As oppossed to the Sidequests in AA? This is what people were asking for. An actual city, where as you are going around, Things pop up and batman can assist....and each of the new sidequests that pop usually lead to some villian. Shit is awesome. Well....They do vary it up as much as they could. I dont know what more you wanted from the sidequests? Do you want batman to start building paths, or painting pictures, or etc. I mean, compared to sidequests in other games, this is definitely competent. I mean, it's an action game/adventure game.....

This game destroys AA only cause now it really feels like Being batman cause you are out in the city deciding on what to tackle moving from roof top to roof top. The only way they can improve on this, is to open up all of gotham and mix in all the pedestrians and normal people.

protonion

There are some riddler pads that seem impossible. Like the place where there are 2 on opposite walls. Do I need a new ability? If not how do I press them? I can glide to them but they reset after 1 second.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
augmental said:
Out of curiosity, do you know if I should be using RGB or YCrCb via HDMI on 360? I use a 720P Pioneer plasma and I just started using HDMI for 360 instead of component.
I set my roommate's 360 to YCrCb since that's what the PS3 does but there's hardly any difference at all as far as I could see.

cackhyena

Amir0x said:
It's by no means a bad game, and the combat has been improved definitely and it's fun... but I just think I prefer the previous games structure more. It's a preference and I think I hope for Arkham City/Asylum 3 they go back.
Previously you said devs aren't pushing boundaries enough, now you want them to scale back what they're attempting.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
I like this game, but so far I would say Arkham Asylum is the better game. It's more focused, the set piece were far superior with much more impressive level design. The guided structured level design makes for more polished gameplay and mission design, and I didn't know I'd be saying this about a Batman game but it just seems to work better that way. I really, really miss it. The Riddler puzzles are better here, for sure, but other than that... it feels like a step back. Or at least, it's a much "different" Batman game and I'm not sure it's what I wanted. I liked getting to an area in the previous game and knowing this is "such and such's place", and then having to go through really sweet set pieces with immersive, detailed and layered levels. In this game, much of that is pulled back. Areas belonging to specific enemies aren't as impressive. The city itself is "impressive", but I think it's missing that punch of the individualized areas of the first game which seemed far more meaty.

I don't know maybe those areas begin to expand and become more impressive with later game missions, but the early game story content is very disappointing. Story/Enemy specific areas are much shorter, less involving.

I agree somehow. It also feels too familiar.

cackhyena said:
Previously you said devs aren't pushing boundaries enough, now you want them to scale back what they're attempting.
You don't need an open world to push boundaries.

protonion said:
There are some riddler pads that seem impossible. Like the place where there are 2 on opposite walls. Do I need a new ability? If not how do I press them? I can glide to them but they reset after 1 second.

if its the one im thinking of....you need to glide into one pads, then jump off the wall and glade to the next one.

george_us

Dark Octave said:
You probably wouldn't even have a Catwoman mission if it wasn't for the new purchase incentive.

I don't understand what you mean by trust.
Bullshit. If From fucking Software can give us a 60 hour game in Dark Souls then a big publisher like WB should be able to foot the bill without any problems. It's greed plain and simple.

george_us said:
Bullshit. If From fucking Software can give us a 60 hour game in Dark Souls then I big publisher like WB should be able to foot the bill without any problems. It's greed plain and simple.

Don't blame them. Blame horse armor!!

Amir0x said:

I completely agree with you.

Amir0x

Banned
cackhyena said:

It's kind of silly to interpret what I said to "scaling back." Is Metroid Prime "scaled back" from GTA? No, they're entirely different game types. One is no more ambitious than the other.

They're two very distinct game types, and I like both. But there is a certain amount of appeal to the structure of Arkham Asylum that I miss. For example, I find the set pieces of individual enemies of Arkham Asylum to be more boundary pushing than Arkham City. They're longer, more complex level designs featuring very very interesting secrets. But on the other hand, the "hub" of Arkham City is more impressive than Arkham Asylum in other ways. It comes down to what you think works and what you don't.

I think the massive amount of side quests and riddler challenges are neat, but so far from what I've seen this max amount of added content has seemed to come at the expense of the main story missions which are shorter, less involving and meaty than the first game's. It's a trade off that, for this series anyway, I don't think I prefer.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
Thankfully your preference is in the minority thus they probably won't be going back. thank god.

I can assure you God has nothing to do with it.

keltickennedy said:
Did you play all the way through? I felt a lot of the later areas were very well designed.

Nope. I said in the post maybe it gets more complex later in the game, but so far the early game missions have been extremely short and decidedly uninvolving when compared to the first game's missions. The areas are less defined by their villains, and more "generalized" and thus I feel have less personality. Certainly I hope the areas grow in complexity and become meatier in the second half, that'd change a lot of what I feel.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
This game destroys AA only cause now it really feels like Being batman cause you are out in the city deciding on what to tackle moving from roof top to roof top. The only way they can improve on this, is to open up all of gotham and mix in all the pedestrians and normal people.

I think this has to be the direction they're headed for #3. More of an open world with random encounters, tons of side missions, and, hopefully, a Batmobile you can drive. All set in Gotham proper, none of this Arkham nonsense.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Amir0x said:

this was exactly what i feared with the switch to a more openish city. it's still a must-buy for me (still too busy with dark souls and also flat broke) but yeah, definitely was wary of this.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
bob_arctor said:
this was exactly what i feared with the switch to a more openish city. it's still a must-buy for me (still too busy with dark souls and also flat broke) but yeah, definitely was wary of this.
I thought the same at first, especially since I'm not a big fan of open world games, but some of the areas are even cooler than many from AA once you get into it. I'm in the museum and it's one of my favorite areas in a game in a long time. It's atmosphere is fantastic.

Amir0x

Banned
Fixed2BeBroken said:
well I can assure you he does! oooh see what i did there?

I don't see what you did there, sorry. I was just responding to the fact that your post was empty, containing no content of any value. So I thought a similarly valueless post was warranted. A response to a detailed critique of something isn't "YOU'RE THE MINORITY SO NYAH", it's "well I disagree with you about this and here's why."

But, hey, God will help you with your next post. Or something.

RoboPlato said:
I thought the same at first, especially since I'm not a big fan of open world games, but some of the areas are even cooler than many from AA once you get into it. I'm in the museum and it's one of my favorite areas in a game in a long time. It's atmosphere is fantastic.

Yeah, like I said, I have not beat the game yet. Maybe the games areas grow to a crescendo of complexity and the first half of the game is just really simple by comparison; a lot of the problems would go away at that point.

Riposte

Odd considering Arkham Asylum's design(except for the open area where you could climb up to the top of the manor) was totally boring. Set pieces are boring when the game mechanics are dull and repetitive. (Riddler puzzles were a goddamn collect-a-thon.) I can't fathom how Arkham City isn't better.

Amir0x said:
I don't see what you did there, sorry. I was just responding to the fact that your post was empty, containing no content of any value. So I thought a similarly valueless post was warranted. A response to a detailed critique of something isn't "YOU'RE THE MINORITY SO NYAH", it's "well I disagree with you about this and here's why."

But, hey, God will help you. Or something.

what i did was just point how stupid your post was in reference to a saying....oh gee yea, i was really thanking god. < roll eyes >

and no need to lecture me on how I should post. that was my comment, that's what I wanted to say. I don't have to respond with what you want me to respond with. That's not how this works sir.

you really are coming off like a douche.

Arkham Asylum comes out... "This game is so fucking awesome but I wish it was in an open city where I can perch on rooftops and stalk my prey like the Batman actually would, not this indoor gargoyle perching shit!"

Arkham City comes out... "This game is so fucking awesome but I wish it were back in a smaller environment and more of a guided experience"

Never change, GAF.

Amir0x

Banned
Riposte said:
Odd considering Arkham Asylum's design(except for the open area where you could climb up to the top of the manor) was totally boring. Set pieces are boring when the game mechanics are dull and repetitive. I can't fathom how Arkham City isn't better.

The mechanics of Arkham City is largely the same, just set in a bigger area with some modified and additional abilities (and Cat Women, who is cool). If you thought Arkham Asylum was "totally boring" and "repetitive", I can't imagine Arkham City is going to change that for you. There are endless repetitious missions which repeat themselves are a ratio that is almost unarguably at a vastly higher rate than anything in Arkham Asylum. I think I've done a specific side mission type no less than twelve times already.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
and no need to lecture me on how I should post. that was my comment, that's what I wanted to say. I don't have to respond with what you want me to respond with. That's not how this works sir.

you really are coming off like a douche.

If you don't want someone to respond to you in a dismissive way, then you shouldn't post throwaway comments of no value.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Revolutionary said:
Arkham Asylum comes out... "This game is so fucking awesome but I wish it was in an open city where I can perch on rooftops and stalk my prey like the Batman actually would, not this indoor gargoyle perching shit!"

Arkham City comes out... "This game is so fucking awesome but I wish it were back in a smaller environment and more of a guided experience"

Never change, GAF.

So true.

Revolutionary said:

Never change, GAF.

so true. I just think its some people just wanna be too cool for this shit. "everyone loves it? il hate on it and try to make some valid points that are actually nonsensical....yea...that'll make me stand out"

Amir0x said:
t's a preference and I think I hope for Arkham City/Asylum 3 they go back.

Never gonna happen. If anything it'll be an even more open Gotham city and other people have theorized.

The open-world, free roam model is just a lot more conducive to DLC content which Rocksteady (or at least WB, but in the end what does it matter) has shown an open affinity for.

Sullichin

Revolutionary said:

Never change, GAF.

Doesn't seem to be the majority opinion.

I haven't played enough of the game yet to see if the interior level design is up to snuff, but the addition of gliding around a city, like Batman should, is very welcome.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Revolutionary said:

Never change, GAF.

heh yeah, well, i was always of the "fuck open worlds" camp. but again, pretty sure i'm gonna love it. it's the goddamn batman after all.

Amir0x

Banned
Revolutionary said:

Never change, GAF.

GAF Hivemind again? I'm glad you're talking about GAF instead of me. I certainly adored the Metroid Prime-esque structure.

Path numero uno of ensuring you're being irrational: Arguing a straw man utilizing a "GAF HIVEMIND" defense.

However, it's not that the open world structure itself is bad. It's that it seems to me that this open world structure has forced the sacrifice of other things that made Arkham Asylum so appealing, mainly its very meaty and polished level design and set pieces. So far in Arkham City missions are much shorter and levels are generally far less complex. It seems to have been a trade off for the hub.

Revolutionary said:

Never change, GAF.

Yes, the exact same fucking people are complaining. We are just one giant hivemind of fickle gamers

God, I despite lazy posts like this

edit: Ah, I see someone already mentioned the "herp derp gaf hivemind" stupidity before me

Amir0x said:
If you don't want someone to respond to you in a dismissive way, then you shouldn't post throwaway comments of no value.

Or I should. As, I have complete control of what I post and choose to post how I post and do not post to appease someone who feels he is the one to pass judgement on a Poster's etiquette as if he is the Ruler of Posts. I never said I didn't want or wanted anything from you.

Top Bottom