• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Fuck me there is so much going on in the game. Getting voicemails from
Joker
while traveling to the next objective, thugs talking below, phones are ringing, god damn helicopter has a lock on my location, riddles are popping up, flying through the AR telling me it's ready to train, god damn Alfred calling me up to banter or whatever next thing ya know, Gordon's gonna fill me in on how his urinary tract infection is making it hard for him to piss, this game is insane, I LOVE IT!!
This made me laugh really hard. Bravo.

cackhyena

Amir0x said:
Now that would be cool, riding Batman's Batmobile around. But structurally, when you got out... obviously you couldn't just park it. Would the Batmobile guide itself back to the bat cave until you called it back? I wonder the logistics of that in a fully open world game.
I was actually thinking about that last night. You've seen the batmobile do autopilot shit before. Say you set a marker on your map but halfway driving there you decide I wanna fly around and beat people. You eject and the car keeps heading to it's destination, waiting for you when you arrive. Naturally a call back thing would be in there as well. Kinda like your horse in Red Dead. Just send it anywhere you know you'll eventually go. Write this down, Rocksteady.

Foliorum Viridum said:
It's a real shame, because Arkham Asylum had a great sense of exploration whilst being a very guided experience. The ways in which you got new toys to backtrack with and how the environment changed over the course of the game was fantastic.

I'm sure I'll enjoy this game, but without that? Well, it will be hard to imagine liking it more than AA.

:(

God, I hated how cramped & tiny Arkham felt. There was no room to explore or move around. And the loads for moving to different parts of the island just killed it for me.

I'm loving AC for the fact that I have a huge rang I can move around in. I can finally swing through the streets just like dreams I had when I was growing up watching Batman. Would not change a thing.

Epyon MX said:
God, I hated how cramped & tiny Arkham felt. There was no room to explore or move around. And the loads for moving to different parts of the island just killed it for me.

I'm loving AC for the fact that I have a huge rang I can move around in. I can finally swing through the streets just like dreams I had when I was growing up watching Batman. Would not change a thing.
That's cool, but since we have the opposite opinion of AA it doesn't bode well for how I will react to the open world.

We'll just have to wait and see, I guess!

george_us

cackhyena said:
I was actually thinking about that last night. You've seen the batmobile do autopilot shit before. Say you set a marker on your map but halfway driving there you decide I wanna fly around and beat people. You eject and the car keeps heading to it's destination, waiting for you when you arrive. Naturally a call back thing would be in there as well. Kinda like your horse in Red Dead. Just send it anywhere you know you'll eventually go. Write this down, Rocksteady.
No no no you should have to park the Batmobile and armor it up like in the Batman movies. If you forget to armor it up there should be a slight chance that some common thugs could come in and steal it. Then you'd have to track them down and beat their asses. Later in the game, there could be an even smaller chance that they plant a device that controls the car like in Batman Returns. Shit would be hilarious.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Foliorum Viridum said:
It's a real shame, because Arkham Asylum had a great sense of exploration whilst being a very guided experience. The ways in which you got new toys to backtrack with and how the environment changed over the course of the game was fantastic.

I'm sure I'll enjoy this game, but without that? Well, it will be hard to imagine liking it more than AA.

I am enjoying the open 'neighborhood' (world? LOL), but I also do miss the Metroidvania element of AA.

I also wish for more AR training. Really enjoyed the 8 glide challenges, but fuck that's it?? No massive one that requires endless airtime crossing various points across the entire city?? Instead I have dozens of combat challenges across various DLC packs? Fuck.

cackhyena said:
Do you get to play with Robin in the story at some point? I don't have any preorder stuff.

No. Just challenge missions. One particularly that is pretty cool. Freight Train level that is themed like a side scroll beat-em up. With a boss fight at the end of the level.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Foliorum Viridum said:

Arkham City is still an extremely guided experience. The open world tag this game has is not very accurate.

Brandon F said:
I am enjoying the open 'neighborhood' (world? LOL), but I also do miss the Metroidvania element of AA.

I also wish for more AR training. Really enjoyed the 8 glide challenges, but fuck that's it?? No massive one that requires endless airtime crossing various points across the entire city?? Instead I have dozens of combat challenges across various DLC packs? Fuck.
You actually ENJOYED those? They were horrible.

That said, the game continues to impress me. Everything they had in the last game has been improved, even the line launcher has a bunch of cool new things you can do with it.

_tetsuo_ said:
Arkham City is still an extremely guided experience. The open world tag this game has is not very accurate.

Disagree. I find myself just flying around and perching on rooftops, listening to thugs talk about what is going on in the city. Then dropping down and taking them out. That along with all the riddler trophies and side quests. How is that "guided"?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Man, once you get the extra grappling boost thing, getting across the city takes 30 seconds. Shit is wild. I'm taking a breather right now at 15% story, 11% game about to see what
Penguin's doing with Mr. Freeze.
Seems like I got all the side missions out of the way before jumping on this too, my body is ready
(to rest a bit before being ready for this shit!)

SpeedingUptoStop

Foliorum Viridum said:
Lots of impressions so far make it sound not nearly as guided.

Edit: Such as keltickennedy, two posts up.
If you wanted to, you could run right through the campaign, past all the other stuff going on in the city, flying from rooftop to rooftop in a linear fashion to get to every point.

But that ain't Batman, baby.

Amir0x

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:

It's really more like a mixture. It's GUIDED in that there is always a main story mission where you know you could push the game forward. It's open in that on the way to the main story there are basically an infinity of distractions, which tend to be a mixture in terms of the actual quality of the distraction design-wise.

The way it impacts the game design seems to be the main story missions are shorter and the levels behind them are less complex, but maybe that changes in the second half of the game.

scoobs

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Fuck me there is so much going on in the game. Getting voicemails from
Joker
while traveling to the next objective, thugs talking below, phones are ringing, god damn helicopter has a lock on my location, riddles are popping up, flying through the AR telling me it's ready to train, god damn Alfred calling me up to banter or whatever next thing ya know, Gordon's gonna fill me in on how his urinary tract infection is making it hard for him to piss, this game is insane, I LOVE IT!!
This is how i feel except for the I LOVE IT part... kinda feel like theres just too much shit happening at once and I don't really know what I should do, and if I skip out on something that pops up I'm probably missing out on something important, but I really just wanna go to the next main mission. Idk, not feeling the game as much as AA

Amir0x said:
It's really more like a mixture. It's GUIDED in that there is always a main story mission where you know you could push the game forward. It's open in that on the way to the main story there are basically an infinity of distractions, which tend to be a mixture in terms of the actual quality of the distraction design-wise.

The way it impacts the game design seems to be the main story missions are shorter and the levels behind them are less complex, but maybe that changes in the second half of the game.
Which is pretty sad to hear!

Even if the second half does improve, AA was an amazing experience from start to finish. Sounds like Rocksteady have dropped the ball a bit.

But like I said, I'll have to judge for myself when it hits PC.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Foliorum Viridum said:

Even the side stuff is guided. As I said earlier in the thread, rocksteady's stranglehold on design shines through in all aspects of the game. It guides you through all of it's main and extra content so seamlessly. Thug chatter leads to look down at the group and oh hey, there is a Riddler challenge right next to them. This leads you to a combat or predator situation. If not a challenge, then an informant that you have to interrogate.

You aren't constricted to one facility and you have more freedom of movement, but rocksteady is still guiding you through Arkham City.

Amir0x said:

It doesn't.

Grisby

I'm lovin it. I get so distracted by beating up thugs that its taking me a while to go through the main missions.

I want more Catwoman.

The only thing that sucks is AR challenges. The gliding mechanic is solid enough for getting around the world but not for pinpoint precision.

Solo

Amir0x said:
I like this game, but so far I would say Arkham Asylum is the better game. It's more focused, the set piece were far superior with much more impressive level design. The guided structured level design makes for more polished gameplay and mission design, and I didn't know I'd be saying this about a Batman game but it just seems to work better that way. I really, really miss it. The Riddler puzzles are better here, for sure, but other than that... it feels like a step back. Or at least, it's a much "different" Batman game and I'm not sure it's what I wanted. I liked getting to an area in the previous game and knowing this is "such and such's place", and then having to go through really sweet set pieces with immersive, detailed and layered levels. In this game, much of that is pulled back. Areas belonging to specific enemies aren't as impressive. The city itself is "impressive", but I think it's missing that punch of the individualized areas of the first game which seemed far more meaty.

I don't know maybe those areas begin to expand and become more impressive with later game missions, but the early game story content is very disappointing. Story/Enemy specific areas are much shorter, less involving.

It's by no means a bad game, and the combat has been improved definitely and it's fun... but I just think I prefer the previous games structure more. It's a preference and I think I hope for Arkham City/Asylum 3 they go back.

Are you giving out those NOS codes?

TheExodu5 said:
Heh, I kind of wish I bought it on console just so I could get the Futureshop Steelbook:

originalfh.jpg

Would have been nice if they had fucking ADVERTISED this in Vancouver. Fuckers.

Looking on craigslist and ebay for one now. Grrr....

At least I have the pre-order for the BF3 steelbook.

Some people I think just have to play further into the game. You end up going back to levels and opening up more areas when you have new gadgets, just like in Arkham Asylum.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Great game but I can't help but think this is one of the most overrated games in years. At times there is some really awful level design in this game, and some of the missions are just plain boring and repetitive with no real plot progression.

Not to mention every few missions it seems like I'm getting stuck for 15 minutes trying to find the next place to go. I know Batman is a detective and shit but when what I'm looking for is a scripted event only triggered when I walk up to a certain nondescript door, guide me to the damn door. AA had the same damn problem, and I'm seeing posts in this thread on every page with people getting lost due to unclear mission direction.

SpeedingUptoStop

keltickennedy said:
Some people I think just have to play further into the game. You end up going back to levels and opening up more areas when you have new gadgets, just like in Arkham Asylum.
The riddler ones with the buttons keep making me think I need some sort of Portal gun to get the trophies.

Sidzed2

The irony is that so many people are reacting to Amirox's opinions when they are actually very nuanced and thoughtful.

I for one think the game is pretty fantastic so far, and certainly what I wanted from an Arkham Asylum sequel. However, the awesomeness of the hub world and massive scope of the story seems to have come at the cost of:

1. Really strong level design;

2. Pacing; and

3. A cohesive story.

I wouldn't want to necessarily go back to the Arkham Asylum template again, because I think Batman works really well in a more open, city-based environment, but there's a little bit of a 'kitchen sink' thing going on with Arkham City.

One of the best things about Asylum was that the abundance of villains in the setting made perfect sense. In Arkham City, this feels a little bit more strained, and you can almost hear Paul Dini groaning and wincing as he tries to valiantly wedge a dozen different characters into a single plot. It's great fan-service, but it doesn't feel all that natural to me yet.

But anyway, the game is clearly very special and an improvement on Asylum in many, many ways. It's just not better in 'every' way.

Korosenai

Two things I wish they would have done differently with catwoman (Just started episode 3 for her)

Not given her episodes such random spots in the campaign. Her second mission is in the very beginning of the story, and then after you go to get the cure from Joker and the huge plot twist happens, they give you episode 3. It's really random and kills the momentum of the main story.

Actually have her and batmans paths cross again. I'm only on episode 3 so maybe they do in episode 4, but I really wanted to see more of that connection between them that we had when the game first started and you save her. It would be cool to have her go save him or something from the debris he's stuck under, or just anything like that. I'm pretty sure the reason its this way is because it's dlc, which blows (They wanted everyone to be able to play the story and not miss out on anything, so if its dlc, they can't have her do anything to help with the main story).

Luthos

Did a Riddler interrogation where I just picked up a dude by his leg and hung him over a ledge. It was awesome.
And Batman thanked him by dropping him.

Skilletor

Liquidsnake said:
I have not played AC yet, and the thing that is keeping from getting it is that I often got lost in AA. It was frustrating.

How? The map clearly told you where you needed to go next. If you didn't know that, then detective mode would lead you on your way.

I really don't understand how you could get lost in AA.

hehhhhh, finally getting the game tomorrow..

Curious to see what i think of it. Is it possible to just stick to the main story for the most part?
I'd like this to keep the flow going. Or is it like Zelda.. where the sidemissions are a huge part of the charm?

Need help on the final Catwoman mission

Maybe it's a combination of playing on hard and not having upgraded her health at all throughout the campaign, but fighting Two-Face seems impossible. Whenever you take down his guards, he just calls more in, so no matter what you do there are a bunch of gunned goons running around the whole time. Two-Face is always just standing in the open, so if I drop in to attack I'm immediately shot at and killed by everyone before I even have a chance to escape.
There has to be some sort of strategy for this!

Luthos

Always-honest said:
hehhhhh, finally getting the game tomorrow..

Curious to see what i think of it. Is it possible to just stick to the main story for the most part?
I'd like this to keep the flow going. Or is it like Zelda.. where the sidemissions are a huge part of the charm?
Possible? I guess.

Possible for me? Not really. There are a ton of things to get distracted by. Lots of little side bits. Riddler stuff, AR missions, random little side moments kinda like in RDR.

Luthos said:
Possible? I guess.

Possible for me? Not really. There are a ton of things to get distracted by. Lots of little side bits. Riddler stuff, AR missions, random little side moments kinda like in RDR.
Yeah, well i can compare RDR''s sidemissions with Zelda for a great part.

I'll just see. As long as i'm having fun. I can't imagine i won't.

AEREC

Anyone having issues starting up the game? ON 360 when I click on the disc to play the game (from My Xbox blade) it sometimes just hangs on a black screen, I then have to reboot the 360 because the guide wont show up either.

Seems to happen randomly but it has already done it three times so far.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Grisby said:
I'm lovin it. I get so distracted by beating up thugs that its taking me a while to go through the main missions.

I want more Catwoman.

The only thing that sucks is AR challenges. The gliding mechanic is solid enough for getting around the world but not for pinpoint precision.

I actually loved those things, I did 2 sets of four of those and havent seen any other since, plus you get that cool grapple upgrade when you finish the first set!

kodecraft

Fixed2BeBroken said:
well I can assure you he does! oooh see what i did there?

Amir0x said:
I don't see what you did there, sorry. I was just responding to the fact that your post was empty, containing no content of any value. So I thought a similarly valueless post was warranted. A response to a detailed critique of something isn't "YOU'RE THE MINORITY SO NYAH", it's "well I disagree with you about this and here's why."

But, hey, God will help you with your next post. Or something.

Yeah, like I said, I have not beat the game yet. Maybe the games areas grow to a crescendo of complexity and the first half of the game is just really simple by comparison; a lot of the problems would go away at that point.

Haha....Ami...when "you go in"....you go in, I'm a fan of your debates, wit and logic.

MAtgS

Mr. Paer said:
Need help on the final Catwoman mission

Maybe it's a combination of playing on hard and not having upgraded her health at all throughout the campaign, but fighting Two-Face seems impossible. Whenever you take down his guards, he just calls more in, so no matter what you do there are a bunch of gunned goons running around the whole time. Two-Face is always just standing in the open, so if I drop in to attack I'm immediately shot at and killed by everyone before I even have a chance to escape.
There has to be some sort of strategy for this!
Lure them away from Two Face. Such as taking out 1 guard, another finds the body & calls the rest over.

keltickennedy said:
Disagree. I find myself just flying around and perching on rooftops, listening to thugs talk about what is going on in the city. Then dropping down and taking them out. That along with all the riddler trophies and side quests. How is that "guided"?
You could do that in Asylum as well.

The atmosphere is of course different than Asylum but I feel that most things do make a return. In terms of overworld structure, it is different but I think the difference is overstated. I recall in Asylum being initially a little overwhelmed at the amount of stuff they kept throwing at you and things to keep track of. However, I soon after got a handle on things and was able to maintain things better. I think AC's structure is more of a 2X AA's. The overworld is considerably bigger however, there is still a similar amount of content per area ratio that AA had. The major and key difference is that in AA, Rocksteady locked you out of places you weren't supposed to go while in AC you can go where you want to but you may not have the item or ability to progress through it. There is still the backtracking to old areas to discover new things with new items everywhere. Also reading through I think people forget that the early segments of AA were far more simplistic, shorter and easier than that in AC's earlier areas. Just my thoughts on the matter anyway.

Top Bottom