• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

AniHawk

about 1.5 hours into it and i think i liked the more confined spaces of asylum more, but holy shit, a batman game where i'm flying around a fucking city as the goddamn batman goddamn.

scoobs

kinda surprising myself by saying this but I totally prefer the more guided experience in AA. I prefer it ALOT more than the constant "shit theres so much to do i dunno what to pick" feeling that i get in AC. Anyways, gonna keep chugging along hoping it finally clicks at some point.

Fuck me.

New Game+ is where the real game begins. Like, holy shit this game is hard without the prompts (and just a whole damn lot harder in general). At the same time though, it's so good just flowing without the prompts, because you know now that you can just beat the shit out of everyone. This mode is officially "The Goddamn Batman" mode to me, thus making it the definitive Batman game in my opinion.

Penguin HQ spoiler:

Holy shit, did Batman just
kill Solomon Grundy? I thought Batman never kills.

Edit:
According to his bio, he can never truly die and each time he dies, he come back stronger.

hamchan

Epyon MX said:
Penguin HQ spoiler:

Solomon Grundy is immortal, so Batman can do as much as he wants to him

SmithnCo

Epyon MX said:
Penguin HQ spoiler:

Edit:
According to his bio, he can never truly die and each time he dies, he come back stronger.

Eh,
his bio says he "can never truly be killed"

Oops, beaten by edit.

Jhoan

Slighly off topic, but is the third party Batarang controller any good for anybody who has it? I was thinking of getting it from Best Buy because I could use a new second controller since Kmart sold out. It's 20 bucks off with the game plus they throw in the Robin challenge maps for free.

zychi

Banned
Mr Touchdown said:
Fuck me.

New Game+ is where the real game begins. Like, holy shit this game is hard without the prompts (and just a whole damn lot harder in general). At the same time though, it's so good just flowing without the prompts, because you know now that you can just beat the shit out of everyone. This mode is officially "The Goddamn Batman" mode to me, thus making it the definitive Batman game in my opinion.
i completely agree. i'm about halfway through the story again, but i have no intention on getting everything again like i did in my first playthrough.

LProtag

JambiBum said:
Alright I found the spot but I can't break open the wall. I see the rings and everything but no matter what I do I can't figure it out

Freeze grenade on the water, it creates and ice platform. Hop on the platform and pull yourself in to the wall with the ring above it. Spray explosives and boom.

Solo

Okay, I finally managed to sneak an hour in. Played from the beginning (duh!) up to where you are about to meet
Harley
for the first time. What follows is a stream of consciousness hyperbole/mess of thoughts, my apologies in advance....

DAT. GAME. Holy fuck, DAT GAME! The amazing title screen and main theme! The ballsy as fuck decision to start the game with
Catwoman as the playable character
! How incredibly agile and smooth
she moves, and DAT SEXY CRAWL
! How awesomely perfect
Catwoman's personality and voice acting are
! All the incredible cameos I've already seen -
Black Mask! Vicki Vale! Two-Face!
The absolutely AMAZING feeling when you step out into the snowy night and peer down onto Arkham City for the first time! How incredible the art design is and how smooth it all runs! How the game has already made me smile from ear to ear multiple times in one single hour!

I said GOD DAMN!

Solo

Silly question, but can you not manually save?

Amir0x said:
I didn't see any of the promotional NOS cans at work yet for free. But there was some in the vending machines at work, but I can't get those for free. What that means is that the promotional ones should be out in regular circulation in the depot soon, if you don't mind waiting a few days to a week. I'm not surprised, the promotional cans are always late at the depot.

No problem, man. Was just curious, will wait!

Zeliard

Solo go glide around the city. Shit is so good. Dive-bombing then swooping back up. It's worth doing those AR missions to unlock boosts to flying around the city.

Solo

Zeliard said:
Solo go glide around the city. Shit is so good. Dive-bombing then swooping back up. It's worth doing those AR missions to unlock boosts to flying around the city.

I'm actually trying to do the impossible with AC - first playthrough no sidequests of any kind. NONE. 100% main storyline. Second playthrough is for all the side missions.

Time will tell if I can stay on the righteous path. I almost cracked already when I saw my first Riddler trophy :lol

negitoro7 said:
I chose the expedited shipping option from Walmart.ca, it shipped on the 17th, but the expected delivery date is the 27th :*(

That's weird, I chose the standard shipping and got it on the 18th. Where do you live? I'm just north of Toronto, so I might be close to the distribution center.

Zeliard

Solo said:
I'm actually trying to do the impossible with AC - first playthrough no sidequests of any kind. NONE. 100% main storyline. Second playthrough is for all the side missions.

Time will tell if I can stay on the righteous path. I almost cracked already when I saw my first Riddler trophy :lol

You'll want to at least do that first set of AR missions, since they give you a boost to your grappling hook that is hugely useful for getting around the world quicker and not losing momentum.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Synless said:
Yes, I never expected anything good to come out of this license. I was reading reviews in the OP and it seems like my expectations were off.

Arkham Asylum was fucking amazing. Go play that right now even if you plan on playing Arkham City.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So, some people are making a fuzz because the X-Play review (NARRATED by Webb, likely not written by her) compares Arkham City to Zelda, which is a good thing, and when they actually talk about Zelda, Webb fakes a yawn to say it's boring.

So yeah, some people are making a fuzz out of that.

negitoro7

canadian crowe said:
That's weird, I chose the standard shipping and got it on the 18th. Where do you live? I'm just north of Toronto, so I might be close to the distribution center.
Yeah, it's shipping from Mississauga, I'm all the way in Vancouver :(

Solo

Zeliard said:
Catwoman's crawling animation is - *ahem* - nicely animated.

Yes! First thing I noticed when I started playing. Its smooth, agile and suggestive all at once. Her whip is fucking awesome.

I hate how the vast majority of these side missions are structured. Most of them you can't just actively go after, you just kinda stumble upon them as you haphazardly go around the city. I don't even have the patience to do them.

Chiggs

Gold Member
scoobs said:
kinda surprising myself by saying this but I totally prefer the more guided experience in AA. I prefer it ALOT more than the constant "shit theres so much to do i dunno what to pick" feeling that i get in AC. Anyways, gonna keep chugging along hoping it finally clicks at some point.

Same here. Arkham City is definitely a top notch game, but it lacks the focus of the first game.

Zeliard

Solo said:
Yes! First thing I noticed when I started playing. Its smooth, agile and suggestive all at once. Her whip is fucking awesome.

She plays really well. I've loved her sections so far, and it's neat that you can replay them independently from the menu as well. I delayed doing her missions just to pounce around the city and play around with her slick fighting style.

Solo

Zeliard said:
She plays really well. I've loved her sections so far, and it's neat that you can replay them independently from the menu as well. I delayed doing her missions just to pounce around the city and play around with her slick fighting style.

Tell me they aren't all mad short like the first one....

I only got a few hours in last night but it's oviously great. I still think I have all the same problems I had with the first game, but I love the outside enviroment so much more. The problems are minor but I have som issue with the movement and some of the ways animations interact. It's minor and the game is so much fun.

I'm not sure this is a quesiton people can answer but do these riddler clues mean? I keep seeing them and nothing is around me at all. It is the clue is supposed to lead me to a enviromental question mark I need to take a 'picture', is it a clue on how to solve a specific puzzle, or a clue on where to look for a trophy near by. I've been hunting when I find a clue and often I just don't see anything anywhere.

I think I'm going to beat one more boss then just screw around with side stuff for a week lol

Question: I just got over to the museum for the first time, Is (BOSS SPOILER)
Soloman Grundy
really in this?!?!
I haven't gotten farther but I heard the guys talking about him. I don't care if you confirm it for me, I'm at work for another 4 hours

Solo

Snow falling as you look out onto the neon lights, foreboding moonlight and the Batman-fodder gutter trash thugs is sublime.

JohngPR

After hearing so many people have a hard time with the AR missions I was reluctant to try them out but they were a total blast to do. I got hung up a few times but nothing crazy, I did them fairly quickly.

The trick is to let off on the dive bomb half a second before having to pull up to get inbetween tight spaces. After I realized that, I had an easier time of it.

This game is so expansive.

I honestly don't know where Rocksteady can go from here. They made this game as if they were told that no other Batman game will be made after it. There's so much to do, so many villians....I can't imagine what they could do to follow this up.

Zeliard

Solo said:
Tell me they aren't all mad short like the first one....

I've just done the starting one and then the second so far. It wasn't too lengthy, basically just a couple missions. But I thought it was nicely paced with the Batman stuff.

Synless said:
Yes, I never expected anything good to come out of this license. I was reading reviews in the OP and it seems like my expectations were off.

That would make sense if you were referring to AA though, not so much with AC since AA was absolutely fantastic. Did you just never look into the first game?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I feel stupid, I am stuck early on.

Going after Mr Freeze and I just got in the police station. I cleared the first big room, then batman downloaded the unlock codes, but now I don't know where to go. There is an opening blocked off my steaming pipes but i don't see anywhere to turn them off...

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
BobTheFork said:
Question: I just got over to the museum for the first time, Is (BOSS SPOILER)
Soloman Grundy
really in this?!?!
I haven't gotten farther but I heard the guys talking about him. I don't care if you confirm it for me, I'm at work for another 4 hours
(Spoilered in case you change your mind on wanting to know)

You are going to be one happy man.
That's all I will say.

Deadly Cyclone said:
I feel stupid, I am stuck early on.

Going after Mr Freeze and I just got in the police station. I cleared the first big room, then batman downloaded the unlock codes, but now I don't know where to go. There is an opening blocked off my steaming pipes but i don't see anywhere to turn them off...

Exit the building.

Top Bottom