• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Pimpbaa

Trin3785 said:
I actually loved those things, I did 2 sets of four of those and havent seen any other since, plus you get that cool grapple upgrade when you finish the first set!

Do you get upgrades after that? Because I absolutely loath them and will not do them if they don't give me anything.

MAtgS said:
Lure them away from Two Face. Such as taking out 1 guard, another finds the body & calls the rest over.
I've been trying this, but it's still just so damn impossibly hard. Two or three bullets kill me.
Is there a better place to prowl around than the gargoyles? I haven't found any good spots on the floor yet, but that's primarily because I get blown to pieces every time I attempt anything

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Heh
I'm in the Penguin's ice room with the frozen GCPD guards and shit. I see another room up top with dudes in it that I can't get to, so I toss a remote controlled batarang up there to just have some fun. Just before the batarang gets to the dudes, some gates go up, almost as if to say "heh heh, we thought of that, BUDDY."

d1rtn4p

Only a couple hours in, but so far I'm not finding it as compelling as AA. Like a previous poster said, I think the tighter, more linear set pieces of the first game did a lot for it. The city is just so crammed with bad guys that it's hard to find any of them memorable in their own accord. I also thought that the first game had more of a desperate, serious tone to it; Batman in this game seems to be much more forgiving of his nemeses. It's funny that I'm complaining about it being too open, whereas I'm typically a fan of open-world games. I think in a game like Batman, often times, less is more. One villain alone, if done right, should be all it takes to put Batman in a world of hurt; this game he's just blazing through them like they are nothing.

RagnarokX

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Heh
I'm in the Penguin's ice room with the frozen GCPD guards and shit. I see another room up top with dudes in it that I can't get to, so I toss a remote controlled batarang up there to just have some fun. Just before the batarang gets to the dudes, some gates go up, almost as if to say "heh heh, we thought of that, BUDDY."
Actually... keep playing.

scoobs said:
This is how i feel except for the I LOVE IT part... kinda feel like theres just too much shit happening at once and I don't really know what I should do, and if I skip out on something that pops up I'm probably missing out on something important, but I really just wanna go to the next main mission. Idk, not feeling the game as much as AA

im with this. its not necessarily a good thing.
its a good game, of course, you just shouldnt expect the tightness of AA...
let's take the short time i played today as example:

i was heading to meet up with freeze.
then i talked to a guy and he was shot mid-convo.
so i go to find where the shot came from and a phone rings.
and then im talking to zsasz on the phone.
(though batman never picks up the phone, so i assume he's getting this call...telepathically?)
then i go back to the location where the gunshot came from.
then alfred is gabbing about deadshot.
then i start heading back to freeze.
then another phone rings and im talking to zsasz again.
then im flying further away from freeze to find another phone before a timer runs out?
then im tracing the call in a bizarre minigame.
then i have to fight a bunch of dudes that noticed batman was chatting on the phone.
then im heading back to freeze... again
all of this was mixed in with some titan containers, other random fights and AR training. oye.

theres IS way too much going on at once. i feel like a really confused batman. like, by the time this night is over, he'll be more exhausted then the time bane broke his back.

also,
riddler trophies? please tell me they show on the map at some point like in AA, cause that is just an insurmountable number otherwise

Zeliard

The open world is vastly more enjoyable than the corridors. Batman doesn't belong trying to swoop around in horribly cramped environments. The freedom of movement on offer in this game alone makes it a leap above Arkham Asylum. Batman feels so much more agile and fun to control.

Flex187ad

Having trouble getting into the Gotham City Police Department early on in the game. Mr Freeze is in there, how do i get inside the building?

Yo Gotti said:
Great game but I can't help but think this is one of the most overrated games in years. At times there is some really awful level design in this game, and some of the missions are just plain boring and repetitive with no real plot progression.

Not to mention every few missions it seems like I'm getting stuck for 15 minutes trying to find the next place to go. I know Batman is a detective and shit but when what I'm looking for is a scripted event only triggered when I walk up to a certain nondescript door, guide me to the damn door. AA had the same damn problem, and I'm seeing posts in this thread on every page with people getting lost due to unclear mission direction.
I've not encountered any issues with getting stuck. There was a time when games were designed to make the player think and have to figure out what to do next. There's a little bit of that in this game, apparently too much for you. I know we're used to games like Uncharted where you literally CANNOT fail to figure out what to do next, but seriously, there is plenty of direction for the player in this game.

As far as the missions, and these are fairly large spoilers,
the issue I have is I feel like the main story has been one big sidetrack quest to solve a stupid little problem that Batman shouldn't have even gotten himself into. Get Mr. Freeze, oh no, the Penguin has Mr. Freeze, oh no, Mr. Freeze can't finish the cure until you get something from R'as al Ghul, oh no, Mr. Freeze is a dickwad and wants you to rescue his wife from Joker. It's been hours of play trying to cure yourself of one stupid niggling plot thread from the last game. Protocol 10 and Hugo Strange have fallen almost entirely by the wayside.

Flex187ad said:
Having trouble getting into the Gotham City Police Department early on in the game. Mr Freeze is in there, how do i get inside the building?
Like, seriously? They give you the
remote electric charge gun, they teach you how to use it to open doors, detective vision highlights openable doors (like the one on the front of the GCPD)
and you can't figure out how to get in?

This is what I'm talking about. It's literally the front door of the place.

Zeliard

How are people getting "stuck" or are confused about what to do? It's every open world game structure ever. You have a set of main missions which advance the story. They're located on your map. Always amuses me when people are confused with "SO MANY THINGS TO DO."

Do whatever it is you want to do. That's what an open world game is. Side quests? Do those if you want. Riddler trophies? Enjoy. AR Challenges? Flying around the city, beating up mindless goons? Have at it. Story stuff? Then go to the clearly designated storyline missions that both your map and your radar clearly point to. This isn't astrophysics.

hamchan

Zeliard said:
How are people getting "stuck" or are confused about what to do? It's every open world game structure ever. You have a set of main missions which advance the story. They're located on your map. Always amuses me when people are confused with "SO MANY THINGS TO DO."

Do whatever it is you want to do. That's what an open world game is. Side quests? Do those if you want. Riddler trophies? Enjoy. AR Challenges? Flying around the city, beating up mindless goons? Have at it. Story stuff? Then go to the clearly designated storyline missions that both your map and your radar clearly point to. This isn't astrophysics.
Agreed. All this choice paralysis from the amount of content is quite funny actually.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
The fight against
Mr. Freeze
was pretty damn good. I already knew the idea behind the fight, but I still had some trouble [spoilers]figuring out every single way to knock him down[/spoiler]. Rocksteady did a much better job with the boss fights this time.

Also, I completed
the Mad Hatter's and Zsasz's
side missions. Each of them were alright.
The Mad Hatter was no Scarecrow, but the bunny head mask was pretty damn weird. Also, I'm glad I don't have to hear any more phones ringing now that Zsasz is taken care of.

Now it's off to the
Steel Mill again
, provided I don't get distracted by something else. This game is very good at that, but the side missions and Riddler challenges are so good that I can't complain.

SpeedingUptoStop

I don't understand where to go next with this Penguin thing.

He's firing the gun and Batman keeps blathering about he needs to go find Freeze. Where the fuck do I go? the map has an exit labelled but there's nothing but a balcony I can't walk in to there. I keep trying to stun Penguin with a million things that should work, but the game is blocking me. I keep walking in circles, where do I go?

SmithnCo

SpeedingUptoStop said:

He's firing the gun and Batman keeps blathering about he needs to go find Freeze. Where the fuck do I go? the map has an exit labelled but there's nothing but a balcony I can't walk in to there. I keep trying to stun Penguin with a million things that should work, but the game is blocking me. I keep walking in circles, where do I go?

It's in another one of the offshoots of the main area. Look for an area with the face over the doorway, I think.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
SpeedingUptoStop said:

Freeze is in one of the side rooms. If you've already rescued the hostages in both of them, then you missed Freeze by accident. I don't remember which one it was, so you may need to check both.

FStop7

Banned
Playing this game makes me want to go back and replay AA (including finding all hidden items and trophies) and THEN immediately jump into a new playthrough of AC. Even though there is a time gap between the stories I have the weirdest feeling like AC picks up the second after the ending of AA.

Does anyone know how make progress in the side mission for
Azrael
?

After I first met him and scanned the symbol, I can't find him on any other rooftops. I've also seared the radius the first symbol leaves on my map and found nothing. Do Azrael only appear after completing certain storyline missions? I first net after rescuing Catwoman in the court house.

MasterShotgun said:
Also, I completed
the Mad Hatter's and Zsasz's
side missions. Each of them were alright.
The Mad Hatter was no Scarecrow, but the bunny head mask was pretty damn weird. Also, I'm glad I don't have to hear any more phones ringing now that Zsasz is taken care of.
I very much enjoyed the simplicity of the
Mad Hatter's mission
. It gave me an opportunity to get a ridiculously high combo on the endlessly respawning, non-annoying enemies.

Zeliard

Love how they've spruced up the combat as well. The new moves like the beat down, the ability to quick-fire certain gadgets and keep your combo going, etc. I've been incorporating all that stuff and it's a joy. I've been concentrating early upgrades on combat combo stuff. The critical hits upgrade is particularly invaluable. Also love that one freeflow focus upgrade when you get to a 12x multiplier and there's this cool blurring effect as Batman speeds up and just flies across the screen obliterating fools.

The Catwoman sections feel great so far as well. She fights and moves around pretty much exactly as one would expect Catwoman to fight and move like. It's a testament to their combat engine that it translates so perfectly to a different style of character, though there are similarities (Catwoman is fast as fuck but Batman isn't exactly a slug).

Amir0x

Banned
Solo said:
Are you giving out those NOS codes?

I didn't see any of the promotional NOS cans at work yet for free. But there was some in the vending machines at work, but I can't get those for free. What that means is that the promotional ones should be out in regular circulation in the depot soon, if you don't mind waiting a few days to a week. I'm not surprised, the promotional cans are always late at the depot.

Mindlog

I have largely ignored the story so far. I look forward to it, but I being the goddamm Batman is so much fun.

Do I need an upgrade to solve Riddler environmental puzzles? I have it lined up perfectly, but nothing is happening.

The AR missions 100% remind me of Crackdown :]

Amir0x said:
I like this game, but so far I would say Arkham Asylum is the better game. It's more focused, the set piece were far superior with much more impressive level design. The guided structured level design makes for more polished gameplay and mission design, and I didn't know I'd be saying this about a Batman game but it just seems to work better that way. I really, really miss it. The Riddler puzzles are better here, for sure, but other than that... it feels like a step back. Or at least, it's a much "different" Batman game and I'm not sure it's what I wanted. I liked getting to an area in the previous game and knowing this is "such and such's place", and then having to go through really sweet set pieces with immersive, detailed and layered levels. In this game, much of that is pulled back. Areas belonging to specific enemies aren't as impressive. The city itself is "impressive", but I think it's missing that punch of the individualized areas of the first game which seemed far more meaty.

I don't know maybe those areas begin to expand and become more impressive with later game missions, but the early game story content is very disappointing. Story/Enemy specific areas are much shorter, less involving.

It's by no means a bad game, and the combat has been improved definitely and it's fun... but I just think I prefer the previous games structure more. It's a preference and I think I hope for Arkham City/Asylum 3 they go back.
The sequel effect?

I was biting my nails at the thought of a more open batman game would remove the personal experience from AA. That game has to be surprise hit of the decade.

I haven't bought it yet though. Will get it this week(finishing up assassins creed brotherhood).

I'll see if i agree with you.

SpeedingUptoStop

MasterShotgun said:
Freeze is in one of the side rooms. If you've already rescued the hostages in both of them, then you missed Freeze by accident. I don't remember which one it was, so you may need to check both.
Oh okay, got it. Some areas of this thing totally make you feel like you can't or don't have to go in some rooms, then you totally can and you end up beating the shit out of a fuckton of guys!

Amir0x said:
I didn't see any of the promotional NOS cans at work yet for free. But there was some in the vending machines at work, but I can't get those for free. What that means is that the promotional ones should be out in regular circulation in the depot soon, if you don't mind waiting a few days to a week. I'm not surprised, the promotional cans are always late at the depot.

Haven't they been doing this NOS rewards points for a long time now? There aren't any promotional cans or bottles that say Batman on them.

Amir0x

Banned
Square Triangle said:
Haven't they been doing this NOS rewards points for a long time now? There aren't any promotional cans or bottles that say Batman on them.

Well someone said they have yellow bands or something on the side for the codes, but I didn't see those in regular circulation. I saw some cans I thought said they had codes in the vending machines, but maybe I didn't look hard enough. I thought it'd be obvious if they had codes.

Zeliard said:
The open world is vastly more enjoyable than the corridors. Batman doesn't belong trying to swoop around in horribly cramped environments. The freedom of movement on offer in this game alone makes it a leap above Arkham Asylum. Batman feels so much more agile and fun to control.

Naw man, its more fun to run down tight corridors to end up in endless rooms with mass amounts of gargoyle architecture to exploit. Its also fun to fight the same type of boss over and over throughout the whole game, even at the end. Batman never traveled the city roof top to roof top listening in to radio transmissions to track donw criminals and investigating crime scenes and saving random people, all while completing his mission. No thats not batman. Batman is all about going into a room with gargoyles and then fighting a boss that either rams you, or uses psychadelics on you and then repeat repeat repeat. Thats how all the movies cartoons and comics portrayed batman. yup.

hamchan

Reluctant-Hero said:
Does anyone know how make progress in the side mission for
Azrael
?

After I first met him and scanned the symbol, I can't find him on any other rooftops. I've also seared the radius the first symbol leaves on my map and found nothing. Do Azrael only appear after completing certain storyline missions? I first net after rescuing Catwoman in the court house.

The circle his first symbol leaves means nothing. I think he only starts appearing after story events so just keep playing. I waited until the post game to find him though.

Bazhard

Banned
Zeliard said:

Mental disorders? i have a hard time comprehending/solving problems the moment they are given to me, it's part of my ADD/(small manic)BiPolar disorder.

Just because you can figure out everything in 5 seconds doesn't mean other people don't get confused, some people can't fucking help it, ass.

Bazhard said:
Mental disorders? i have a hard time comprehending/solving problems the moment they are given to me, it's part of my ADD/(small manic)BiPolar disorder.

Just because you can figure out everything in 5 seconds doesn't mean other people don't get confused, some people can't fucking help it, ass.

Man, first time i ever seen someone blame thier struggle in a game on a mental disorder. I also have ADD, it never hindered me in games tho, just my interest in a game

Zeliard

Fixed2BeBroken said:
Naw man, its more fun to run down tight corridors to end up in endless rooms with mass amounts of gargoyle architecture to exploit. Its also fun to fight the same type of boss over and over throughout the whole game, even at the end. Batman never traveled the city roof top to roof top listening in to radio transmissions to track donw criminals and investigating crime scenes and saving random people, all while completing his mission. No thats not batman. Batman is all about going into a room with gargoyles and then fighting a boss that either rams you, or uses psychadelics on you and then repeat repeat repeat. Thats how all the movies cartoons and comics portrayed batman. yup.

I think the open world does fit Batman a lot more.

I think the biggest thing it provides is much greater freedom of movement. This game feels like Hulk: Ultimate Destruction in just how fun it is to get around the city. They've also added new combat moves and upgrades that take full advantage of the fact that you'll often be at a much higher vantage point than you ever were in AA. It's not much more open just horizontally, but vertically as well.

Bazhard said:

I sympathize, but I don't think everyone who can't get around in an open world game is afflicted with a mental disorder.

Zeliard said:
I think the open world does fit Batman a lot more.

I think the biggest thing it provides is much greater freedom of movement. This game feels like Hulk: Ultimate Destruction in just how fun it is to get around the city. They've also added new combat moves and upgrades that take full advantage of the fact that you'll often be at a much higher vantage point than you ever were in AA. It's not much more open just horizontally, but vertically as well.

I sympathize, but I don't think everyone who can't get around in an open world game is afflicted with a mental disorder.

You tottally missed the sarcasm

hamchan

Heh, Robin looks super gloomy in the challenge maps. How unlikable.

I think there's no need to hate on Arkham Asylum (one of my favourite games ever) to prop up City as being better. Both games make me feel like Batman in different ways.

AEREC said:
Anyone having issues starting up the game? ON 360 when I click on the disc to play the game (from My Xbox blade) it sometimes just hangs on a black screen, I then have to reboot the 360 because the guide wont show up either.

Seems to happen randomly but it has already done it three times so far.
Happened to me twice yesterday. First time was the first time I booted the game up.

hamchan

JambiBum said:
Alrighty can anyone tell me where the hell
Nora
is? I'm in the right area but I have no idea where the fuck to go.

She's inside one of the buildings but you have to access it via the water.

SmithnCo

lol,
I managed to get Freeze to "freeze" during the boss fight with him. It was during a beatdown by the stairs then he just went into his default pose and I couldn't hit him. But in other news, the Freeze fight is really interesting.

Bazhard

Banned
Fixed2BeBroken said:
Man, first time i ever seen someone blame thier struggle in a game on a mental disorder. I also have ADD, it never hindered me in games tho, just my interest in a game
Seeing as i have to read a book or watch a movie 3-4 times to fully comprehend it yes, i blame, what the fuck else am i going to blame? i don't harp on it, im just saying there are people out there that really cannot help it.

I am not saying everyone has a mental disorder, and people who do it effects them in different ways, the point i am making is SOME PEOPLE can't help it, there is no need to be a cunt about it, it's not the open world that confuses me, it's some puzzles, combat systems(which i am now starting to get to hang of) and other things that confuse people (like me)

Bazhard said:
Seeing as i have to read a book or watch a movie 3-4 times to fully comprehend it yes, i blame, what the fuck else am i going to blame? i don't harp on it, im just saying there are people out there that really cannot help it.

I am not saying everyone has a mental disorder, and people who do it effects them in different ways, the point i am making is SOME PEOPLE can't help it, there is no need to be a cunt about it, it's not the open world that confuses me, it's some puzzles, combat systems(which i am now starting to get to hang of) and other things that confuse people (like me)

Lol sorry if i offended. I was merely commenting. I think you took it the wrong way

JambiBum

hamchan said:
She's inside one of the buildings but you have to access it via the water.
Alright I found the spot but I can't break open the wall. I see the rings and everything but no matter what I do I can't figure it out

Zeliard

Bazhard said:

Nobody was fucking addressing you. Stop taking shit personally. You're just being obnoxious and indignant for no particular reason and shitting up the thread. It should have been obvious from my post who I was addressing - people who don't put in a modicum of effort. Not people who have natural problems that keep them from doing certain things.

Amir0x said:
Well someone said they have yellow bands or something on the side for the codes, but I didn't see those in regular circulation. I saw some cans I thought said they had codes in the vending machines, but maybe I didn't look hard enough. I thought it'd be obvious if they had codes.

Ah gotcha, I don't normally buy it- I was just assuming they've done it for a while since Coke Rewards has been around for over a year.

Top Bottom