• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Maddness

I'll be damned if
I can't beat Two-Face's horde of minions in the museum for the last catwoman section. I just run and slide under the fence and then it's catwoman fuck city for these guys. The closest I've gotten is within 3 dudes. Pisses me off each time they do a lucky slide 360 mid kick kick and hit me for the last time. Fuck! Other than that, beat the story and can't wait to get back to Batman and finish the side missions. Love this game. LOVE IT. I just wish the horde of minions would appreciate Catwoman for the lady she is!

Zeliard

Seriously Solo, do that first AR set even if you want to ignore side missions. You'll thank me later. I can't imagine not having that upgrade.

Solo

Zeliard said:
Seriously Solo, do that first AR set even if you want to ignore side missions. You'll thank me later. I can't imagine not having that upgrade.

We'll see how it goes, man. Knowing myself, I'll probably give in the next time I play and start doing all that side stuff :lol

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
Holy shit this game is amazing. I'm barely 3 hours in and I love it all. Playing as Catwoman is pretty damn awesome, i love how she controls.

JohngPR

If anyone an make Superman not seem boring and unoriginal, it'd be Rocksteady.

Speaking of flight....I love that gliding in Batman is basically gliding with yellow caped Mario in Super Mario World. Soooooo good. :)

Synless

Tallshortman said:
That would make sense if you were referring to AA though, not so much with AC since AA was absolutely fantastic. Did you just never look into the first game?
Correct, I wrote off the first game as some average looking game.

Zeliard

BeautifulMemory said:
What upgrade? Because I didn't do it and I have been progressing :0

It adds a boost to your grapple so you can gain air after reaching your target instead of just dropping down, so you can keep momentum when gliding and fly around huge distances. It's something that should have probably been a part of the game from the start but I guess they wanted to introduce AR missions with it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm confused about the Catwoman stuff. One segment started automatically for me early on, where you
infiltrate Poison Ivy's place
, but now I've played another ~35% of the story and nothing with Catwoman at all. Do you have to go trigger her segments?

Jintor

badcrumble said:
My feelings on this are mixed. I feel like
the opening would be a lot better if it just launched straight into the Bruce Wayne bit, even though I understand that there's nowhere else to put that particular Catwoman scene if you want to preserve the pacing of the opening.

I thought it was a great
fake-out
, and it leads very nicely into the pre-game credits.

I'm confused about the Catwoman stuff. One segment started automatically for me early on, where you infiltrate Poison Ivy's place, but now I've played another ~35% of the story and nothing with Catwoman at all. Do you have to go trigger her segments?

They kick in based on story progression, so no.

JohngPR

Such an awesome game and the Giant Bombcast crew decides to focus their Batman: AC discussion on the Catwoman online pass stuff.

Sigh.

MasterShotgun said:
(Spoilered in case you change your mind on wanting to know)

You are going to be one happy man.
That's all I will say.
thank you. I don't mind knowing, that's what I assumed but I won't be able to get back to it for some time.

JohngPR

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Man I heard Superman called a LOT of things over the years, but "unoriginal"!? There's a new one

To be fair, I meant in regards to video games not the character himself. :)

Superman has spawned some pretty generic games in its lifetime as a video game license.

RPGCrazied said:
I've been playing 2 days straight, and only 30% in the story. Those riddler trophies and riddles sure do eat up time.
You can't even get a large number of them until you progress in the story and acquire many of the gadgets that allow you to get them. So I'm not even bothering until later.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Chiggs said:
Same here. Arkham City is definitely a top notch game, but it lacks the focus of the first game.
Agreed. This also means there isn't nearly as much weight behind it when you encounter villains. I've probably already encountered more supervillains than I did in all of Arkham Asylum, and I'm only like 10% of the way through the story.

Still, though, prowling the rooftops as the goddamn Batman. So good.

dralla

fuck nolan north, he voices every god damn henchman in this game. it's really distracting :[

game is great though, only played a few hours. started off a little slow but once it opens up it gets damn good

Jintor

Mr. Paer said:
Need help on the final Catwoman mission

Maybe it's a combination of playing on hard and not having upgraded her health at all throughout the campaign, but fighting Two-Face seems impossible. Whenever you take down his guards, he just calls more in, so no matter what you do there are a bunch of gunned goons running around the whole time. Two-Face is always just standing in the open, so if I drop in to attack I'm immediately shot at and killed by everyone before I even have a chance to escape.
There has to be some sort of strategy for this!

Isolate and pick them off one by one but don't let any of them raise the alarm if you don't want more guards to be called in. Took me a while but was really satisfying when I finally got it.

JohngPR said:
To be fair, I meant in regards to video games not the character himself. :)

Superman has spawned some pretty generic games in its lifetime as a video game license.

Hey, no argument here. I rented Superman 64 when I was younger, and it was an experience that has scarred me for life

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Pimpbaa said:
Do you get upgrades after that? Because I absolutely loath them and will not do them if they don't give me anything.
I don't think I got an upgrade from the second set. I cant remember honestly but I think it was just xp.

I think I may agree with the 'lack of focus' comments. It comes from (possibly) having too much side stuff. Every single time I've gone somewhere (not that far in) I feel like I'm being mobbed with side work. Of course you don't need to do it, but it interupts the flow a bit. Honestly though, I'll take the trade-off; Being able to just freely move around Gotham is too fucking good. Sometimes Asylum felt too linear and too closed-in, but it's an opinion issue. A Batman: Year One game with all of gotham would be godly.

JohngPR said:
Such an awesome game and the Giant Bombcast crew decides to focus their Batman: AC discussion on the Catwoman online pass stuff.

Sigh.
I'm watching their quick look now and I'm laughing at how terribly he's botching the combat and such.

They are really, really selling the game short with this quick look. I typically like them to show off the way a game plays, but this one is bad. He's done with the story already so he can't show any mission gameplay, he's terribad at the combat, bleh.

Do not watch it for impressions if you're on the fence about the game.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Dammit, there is a hostage I have marked on my map and it's right by a riddler trophy but I cannot find the hostage at all. By the black canary building. Dumb.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Dammit, there is a hostage I have marked on my map and it's right by a riddler trophy but I cannot find the hostage at all. By the black canary building. Dumb.
Look for a wall with a question mark painted on it. Do not use detective vision because you can't see through it. Interact with the wall.

Deadly Cyclone said:

in the building there is a ? mark... get close to it an d batman will break it..

JohngPR

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Hey, no argument here. I rented Superman 64 when I was younger, and it was an experience that has scarred me for life

As it has to most of us. :(

Not that there's much to choose from, but my favorites are the Superman Arcade game and this:

1261596044_13b05baca6e36.jpeg

I actually reviewed that game back when I used to do game reviews...I'm surprised to see that my review goes towards the game's metacritic score. :)

JohngPR

krameriffic said:
I'm watching their quick look now and I'm laughing at how terribly he's botching the combat and such.

They are really, really selling the game short with this quick look. I typically like them to show off the way a game plays, but this one is bad. He's done with the story already so he can't show any mission gameplay, he's terribad at the combat, bleh.

Vinny went on a rant and Ryan told him to stop being a child. LOL

krameriffic said:

That's unfortunate....not that they have to sell me on the game since I already have it.

You'd think he'd be decent at the game after playing it for review....LOL.

hamchan

MCXC Pioneer said:
There's too much to do, it's really distracting. Arkham City is good but it lacks focus.

Then just follow the main objectives? How can you blame the game for giving you a lot of optional things to do.

hamchan said:
Then just follow the main objectives? How can you blame the game for giving you a lot of optional things to do.
I feel overwhelmed. Every time I turn around there's some political prisoner bitching or the riddler in my ear. There's simply too much thrown at the player too early on, I miss the clear focus AA had.

Also I said the game was good so remember that in case you're freaking out.

hamchan

MCXC Pioneer said:
I feel overwhelmed. Every time I turn around there's some political prisoner bitching or the riddler in my ear. There's simply too much thrown at the player too early on, I miss the clear focus AA had.

Also I said the game was good so remember that in case you're freaking out.

I don't really care if you think the game is good or not, it's just that the "too much to do" complaint doesn't seem very legitimate to me because I don't see that as a negative at all, and all of it is optional too.

hamchan said:
I don't really care if you think the game is good or not, it's just that the "too much to do" complaint doesn't seem very legitimate to me because I don't see that as a negative at all, and all of it is optional too.
That's because you ignored the point I made, good job.

I spend twenty minutes running around just getting trophies. Awesome. Oh lemme line up this riddler question mark and scan it. NOPE. You gotta do a bunch of bullshit (and by bullshit I mean main story) first, and you just wasted a bunch of time thinking you just didn't have it lined up right and the game was being picky.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Zeliard said:

Do you know how to do the third AR mission of the first set where you have to dive down towards the water then go right back up? I'm stuck on that one. :(

Luthos

krameriffic said:
You can't even get a large number of them until you progress in the story and acquire many of the gadgets that allow you to get them. So I'm not even bothering until later.
You do know that you can mark their location for later though, right?

Because I at least try to get most of the Riddler stuff I see. But if I can't get them, I scan it to save it's location.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I've caught up on the story up through
R.A.G. and past the Joker goons to destroy my 2nd to last titan thing
and man, this story really hones in. It's been a fucking ride ever since I went after
the penguin, killed Grundy, beat the ever loving SHIT out of Penguin, got Freeze his suit back, went after Ra's, went into his scarecrow like, fuck amazing dream world shit, beat the SHIT out of him (my god that was amazing), and now I've interrogated Sharp, FLASS STYLE, and
I can't believe this game even retconned the most embarrassing part of the last game into something that makes sense in this one!! Now I saved in front of the GCPD before going in after
Mr Freeze
because I CAN'T HANDLE THE AWESOME MUCH LONGER I NEED TO RELAX!!

Also, I got to The Part, where Batman gets his revenge on
SHARKS! THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR BITING ME BACK IN THE 66 MOVIE, COCKSUCKER, BAM BAM BAM BAM, SPLOOOGE

Yea, this game lives up to the hype. All of the notifications and "cluttered"ness of the world clear up once you're out of the introductory phase, and now that I am 49% story and 24% game completed, I am definitely in THE ZONE.

hamchan said:
Have you played AC brotherhood? Im currently playing it and they give youway too much shit to do. Yes i have the option not to do all the quest, but seeing everything on the map is daunting. If batman is like that then....=/

Kung Fu Grip said:
Have you played AC brotherhood? Im currently playing it and they give youway too much shit to do. Yes i have the option not to do all the quest, but seeing everything on the map is daunting. If batman is like that then....=/

Batman can multitask when it comes to crime fighting.

hamchan

Kung Fu Grip said:

Yep, loved the game. Though at least in AC Brotherhood you can turn on and off certain icons. Anyways Batman doesn't really have that much to do on the map comparitively. A lot of it is just Riddler stuff and a lot of the sidequests are not labelled on the map.

RagnarokX

BobTheFork said:
I think I may agree with the 'lack of focus' comments. It comes from (possibly) having too much side stuff. Every single time I've gone somewhere (not that far in) I feel like I'm being mobbed with side work. Of course you don't need to do it, but it interupts the flow a bit. Honestly though, I'll take the trade-off; Being able to just freely move around Gotham is too fucking good. Sometimes Asylum felt too linear and too closed-in, but it's an opinion issue. A Batman: Year One game with all of gotham would be godly.
What about Batman: No Man's Land. Similar concept to Arkham City.

I don't see what more they can really do, though. They crammed pretty much every important landmark in Gotham into this section of the city.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Seriously, the people making Spider-Man games, right down to the folks who are even thinking about making Superman games, need to be slapped the fuck up by this majestic open world shit right here. Recognize realness.

I haven't seen an up and coming developer skullfuck this much greatness out of an existing IP since Metroid Prime.

Game is astonishing. Rocksteady? More Like Godsteady.

Zeliard

Domino Theory said:
Do you know how to do the third AR mission of the first set where you have to dive down towards the water then go right back up? I'm stuck on that one. :(

Just dive bomb through those rings before the boat then swoop back up and gently angle yourself for the final one.

Top Bottom