• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Seriously, the people making Spider-Man games, right down to the folks who are even thinking about making Superman games, need to be slapped the fuck up by this majestic open world shit right here. Recognize realness.
Spider-Man 2 yo.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
lolez2matt said:
in the building there is a ? mark... get close to it an d batman will break it..
Ugh I feel stupid at this game sometimes. I've gotten stuck 3 times tonight because of not knowing what to do.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
AgentChris said:
Spider-Man 2 yo.
I dug Spiderman 2 and even fucked with Ultimate Spiderman, but it's been * a while* since they got that series as right as that, or even as right as this.

I did love going to the top of the empire state building in that game though, that was my shit. Wonderful swinging physics. Fond memories.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I dug Spiderman 2 and even fucked with Ultimate Spiderman, but it's been * a while* since they got that series as right as that, or even as right as this.

I did love going to the top of the empire state building in that game though, that was my shit. Wonderful swinging physics. Fond memories.
SM2 was amazing. The Catwoman parts in this are awesome. GOTY 2011.

JohngPR

Domino Theory said:
Do you know how to do the third AR mission of the first set where you have to dive down towards the water then go right back up? I'm stuck on that one. :(

I posted this earlier: After hearing so many people have a hard time with the AR missions I was reluctant to try them out but they were a total blast to do. I got hung up a few times but nothing crazy, I did them fairly quickly.

The trick is to let off on the dive bomb half a second before having to pull up to get inbetween tight spaces. After I realized that, I had an easier time of it.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
One thing I will say, I don't think I'll get nearly as many riddler trophies in this one, some of these are just a little too much for me to care enough about grabbing them. Does the game unlock all the challenge rooms (primarily combat ones, those are the ones I care about) when you complete the story?

Chiggs

Gold Member
I wish I had just waited for the PC version. A game like this deserves to be played in 1080P and with the Xbox 360 controller. The PS3 controller just doesn't feel right.

beastmode

Man, this game... while saving the frozen
undercover police officers, I tried to shatter & sink the ice with the explosive gel so I could rope around on that thing across the room. "Using explosive gel on the ice would be a bad idea." You know what Batman? I hate you.

suaveric

Am i missing something with the Riddler's question marks that you have to line up just right? I've lined up a couple that looked perfect, then held down the "see the clue" button and I got nothing. Is there an upgrade that I need to make this work? What am I missing?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wow, the section I just played
with Ra's Al Ghul
was incredible. Really unexpected and awesome. The past few indoor environments have been really big and reminiscent of most of the areas in AA. I've also gotten to the point where I've been able to finish up some of the sidequests and they really feel like full parts of the game. Just excellent so far.

Quick question: How do I get back into the steel mill? I missed the Titan Container in there and I can't figure out how to get in again.

Nori Chan

I have beaten the game and it was amazing.

The ending...
Its the end of an era :(

Now I am going back to AA and 100% achievement it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just started this tonight because I've been busy with work and shit. Not far at all, but I noticed the counter indicators are on even though I'm playing on hard. Is there no way to disable that before NG+? :\

Fjordson

Oh wow.

The person you encounter for the side quest where you're destroying barrels around the city
Bane!!!
looks so awesome.

Joei

I got the game yesterday, but unfortunately haven't had any time to play it. So a few minutes ago before going to bed I decided to at least open it up and take a look at the manual... and there wasn't one. Are games coming without instruction manuals now?

RoboPlato said:
Wow, the section I just played
with Ra's Al Ghul
was incredible. Really unexpected and awesome. The past few indoor environments have been really big and reminiscent of most of the areas in AA. I've also gotten to the point where I've been able to finish up some of the sidequests and they really feel like full parts of the game. Just excellent so far.

Quick question: How do I get back into the steel mill? I missed the Titan Container in there and I can't figure out how to get in again.
I found the boss fight against R'as to be irritating mostly because I was slamming the X button the whole time to keep dodge rolling. He throws about 50000 long range attacks at you during the parts where you shoot him with the REC so you pretty much have to do it. Otherwise I thought it was a decent boss fight, though I liked Mr. Freeze better because it made me think.

That said, Talia is fucking BOOOINNNG.

You will eventually have to go back into the Steel Mill on the story.

Korosenai

I just noticed something very cool that relates the beginning of the game with the end (Don't click on the image links unless you've beat the game, it does lead to spoilers).

This is the first thing you see in the very beginning of the game (if you have the catwoman dlc).

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/2426/aclkzocmaew0u.jpg

The picture says "Cain and Abel: The Duality of Man"

After you beat the game, you unlock the concept art for the death of Joker.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/2488/acllb4kcaaavvov.jpg

I just thought that it was very cool how they did that, and I wanted to share it with you guys.

Chiggs said:
I wish I had just waited for the PC version. A game like this deserves to be played in 1080P and with the Xbox 360 controller. The PS3 controller just doesn't feel right.

bloody nonsense.

Anyway picking this up for PC but really enjoying the ps3 version in the meantime.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Just finished
the return to the Steel Mill
. I'm playing on Hard, so that final brawl was annoying at first. I keep forgetting they ramped up how much damage enemies deal on Hard now. But I'm really getting the hang of using all of my gadgets effectively and often, so I only died a couple of times. Also, the stealth sequence there
(the room with the proximity mines
was pretty damn difficult. I kept getting spotted, and on Hard those shotguns can kill you in 2-3 hits even with max Ballistic armor. I love how the enemies can destroy the non-Gargoyle perches. That certainly ramps up the difficulty if they do that.

I just started the 3rd Catwoman sequence. It's about time it showed up. I have a lot of free time tomorrow, so I won't be surprised if I beat the campaign before the day is over.

JohngPR

I'm at the Museum...I have a quick question.

Do I have to rescue the police hostages first before I rescue Mr. Freeze, or can I go ahead and get the Titan canister first and then rescue the hostages?

I'm not even sure if the area where the Titan canister is located is the same area where you'd rescue Mr. Freeze, but I see him on display and wasn't sure.

cacophony

I'm starting to find the combat really tedious. I think it's because it's hard for me to resist my urge to just start button mashing. And the shields are annoying as fuck.

Jintor

JohngPR said:
I'm at the Museum...I have a quick question.

Do I have to rescue the police hostages first before I rescue Mr. Freeze, or can I go ahead and get the Titan canister first and then rescue the hostages?

I'm not even sure if the area where the Titan canister is located is the same area where you'd rescue Mr. Freeze, but I see him on display and wasn't sure.

I think Bats won't let you leave.

cacophony said:
I'm starting to find the combat really tedious. I think it's because it's hard for me to resist my urge to just start button mashing. And the shields are annoying as fuck.
I agree, but that's because I don't like the controls. There are too many double button presses that become more and more necessary to use to do the combat properly and I guess my primitive brain has devolved somewhat from using a keyboard where I have about 30 buttons within finger reach of my left hand on the WASD cluster.

Right after you pick up the Electro-charge thing, in the room very near the first boss but shortly before you get to it, there is a place where you can use the Electro-gun to move some vehicles away from some passages in the floor. One of those is hiding a riddler trophy but you cannot enter due to some steam. How do you get this trophy? The closest I got was standing kind of far back and then using the grapple hook with L1 and R2 to do the ducking grapple shoot, and it looked to me like the hook literally touched the trophy but it would not pick it up.

I guess there needs to be a way to shut off the steam but I couldn't figure it out. Anyone know?

GQman2121

Banned
The Catwomen stuff so far (I'm about six hours in) has been fantastic. The way they use the character's unique abilities really feels authentic and adds a great deal to the segments you're controlling her.

The only thing I think is strange is that she has an apartment inside the city's walls. Why would she be living inside of this huge prison?

Anyway, those poor bastards without an internet connection are really missing out. Shame on them for thinking they were good enough to enjoy this kitten goodness.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
cpp_is_king said:
Right after you pick up the Electro-charge thing, in the room very near the first boss but shortly before you get to it, there is a place where you can use the Electro-gun to move some vehicles away from some passages in the floor. One of those is hiding a riddler trophy but you cannot enter due to some steam. How do you get this trophy? The closest I got was standing kind of far back and then using the grapple hook with L1 and R2 to do the ducking grapple shoot, and it looked to me like the hook literally touched the trophy but it would not pick it up.

I guess there needs to be a way to shut off the steam but I couldn't figure it out. Anyone know?
You need an upgrade to get past steam. It will be a while before you get that upgrade.

hamchan

cpp_is_king said:

You can't get it until later in the game when you have more gadgets.

I had no problem with ANY of the AR missions, but you need to be a fucking Jedi cyborg to complete some of these Riddler remote-batarang obstacle courses.

Fuck you Edward Nigma.

JohngPR

Museum spoilers:
Want to know how much of a badass Batman is? He uppercut a fucking Shark, that's how bad ass!

LMAO

thewesker said:
Beat the game this afternoon. Did a few side missions afterwards, turned it off. Came back to my save file deleted. FUCKING FANTASTIC.
Hey, same here. Although I think it was because I rage quitted during that last damn Catwoman mission after dying for about the thirtieth time, and I just shut my console off, probably during an auto-save. Needless to say I was beyond pissed when I saw my game file say "EMPTY", but thankfully the game is so goddam incredible that I immediately started it up again and in a few hours am already up to the
Ra's Al Ghul
part. I'm playing on Normal this time too (played on Hard my first go), so that's making things go a lot quicker.

This game is just too great

Although I am already thinking it will be impossible to get every achievement. Getting EVER SINGLE MEDAL in the Riddler's Revenge challenges? No fucking way, some of those modifiers you have to activate in the campaign maps are ridiculous

If anyone gets all of the achievements in this... they truly are the goddam Batman

Cheska

The
Penguin/Mr. Freeze
mission is taking me so long. Mainly because I keep visiting every nook and cranny looking for possible breakable walls and things I may have missed. I think I'm near the end since I have to find
Freeze
to learn how to disable his gun.

The Antitype said:
I had no problem with ANY of the AR missions, but you need to be a fucking Jedi cyborg to complete some of these Riddler remote-batarang obstacle courses.

Fuck you Edward Nigma.
It took me a while to figure out that holding down L1 wasn't braking. You have to press it again to brake which makes the turns much easier. I did a few of them without it and it was horrible.

JohngPR

thewesker said:
Beat the game this afternoon. Did a few side missions afterwards, turned it off. Came back to my save file deleted. FUCKING FANTASTIC.

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Before I go to bed, I'm going to back up my save to the cloud.

JohngPR

Cheska said:
The
Penguin/Mr. Freeze
mission is taking me so long. Mainly because I keep visiting every nook and cranny looking for possible breakable walls and things I may have missed. I think I'm near the end since I have to find
Freeze
to learn how to disable his gun.

You are probably 2/3rds of the way through the mission....I just finished it.

How far am I into the game would you say, GAF?

BobTheFork said:
I just noticed something odd. ~75% of the characters in the game have blue eyes. Check the character bios, it's a ton of them... huh

Blue eyes are the most popular/common color chosen when creating a fictional character.

BobTheFork said:
I just noticed something odd. ~75% of the characters in the game have blue eyes. Check the character bios, it's a ton of them... huh

Comic books. Blue eyes pop more than brown eyes when you're illustrating a character. Allows you to show more expression/emotion.

In fact, I'm pretty sure Spider-Man is one of the only super-heroes with Brown eyes isn't he? And his eyes are completely covered by his mask...

Truant

How does the 360 version look? Honestly. I'm seriously considering getting it tomorrow.

I'm currently replaying AA on Steam and it's pretty sharp maxed out at 1080p. I don't want to wait a month :(

The Antitype said:
Comic books. Blue eyes pop more than brown eyes when you're illustrating a character. Allows you to show more expression/emotion.

In fact, I'm pretty sure Spider-Man is one of the only super-heroes with Brown eyes isn't he? And his eyes are completely covered by his mask...
I guess that makes sense. I was just going through the list and just saw one after another.

Top Bottom