• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Kyoufu said:
I wish the health system wasn't like this. If you have virtually no life left the only way to gain health back is to clear a group of enemies?
You get life from anything that gives you experience. You can always hunt down Riddler trophies/secrets or complete sidequests if you're desperate.

Neiteio

Hey guys, question about Penguin level:
Penguin has the freeze ray and Batman keeps having bat-thoughts to the effect of "Hmm, I should find Freeze so Freeze can tell me how to beat his weapon." But I feel like I've explored the whole place, and isn't Penguin keeping Freeze hostage there?
So yeah, where's the snowman?

Jintor

Neiteio said:
Hey guys, question about Penguin level:
Penguin has the freeze ray and Batman keeps having bat-thoughts to the effect of "Hmm, I should find Freeze so Freeze can tell me how to beat his weapon." But I feel like I've explored the whole place, and isn't Penguin keeping Freeze hostage there?
So yeah, where's the snowman?

The War Room.

Jintor

Neiteio said:
Erm, where is that? Is that the
Gladiator Pit
? Or the
armory with the rescued hostages
?

I suppose it's on the map of the museum, eh?

It's south of the giant pool.

RPGCrazied

I haven't completed that yet, I have over half of his trace, but haven't got a another phone call yet, maybe I have to progress the story further.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
BY2K said:
Holy shit this is amazing. It loops too.

RPGCrazied said:
I haven't completed that yet, I have over half of his trace, but haven't got a another phone call yet, maybe I have to progress the story further.
You need to get farther. In order to actually finish it you need a later gadget so the game doesn't let you risk completing the trace and not being able to finish the mission so he'll start calling again once you have it.

Regarding the 3rd Cat Woman mission toward the end of the game:

So... I chose not to save Batman. Wow, did not expect the game to end. When the credits rolled I was kind of annoyed... Then it rewound and I smiled :)

The Hermit

BY2K said:
lbf.gif
lbf.gif
lbf.gif
lbf.gif

RPGCrazied

RoboPlato said:
Holy shit this is amazing. It loops too.

You need to get farther. In order to actually finish it you need a later gadget so the game doesn't let you risk completing the trace and not being able to finish the mission so he'll start calling again once you have it.

Cool. They weren't lying when they said it has a lot of content, even if the main story is short. I've been playing 2 full days, and still around 25-30% story done. I haven't really touched the challenge map stuff yet.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I gotta say, Robin's representation in this is easily one of my favorite Robins, especially how they even squeezed in how
Batman has to make him feel inferior/subordinate unintentionally when he has to tag the Ra's guard.

Is there a known issue with bad discs for the 360? Literally half the time I choose 'play game' the screen will go black as it's loading, but then it stays black. The disc spins at first for about 3 seconds and then goes silent. I have to reboot my 360 in order to try again.

Neiteio

This game is so visually dense. By that I mean take any give frame of the game, and it's just jam-packed with detail. Usually I comb over every inch of a room to take in all the design work the artists did, but there's so much here that to attempt such would be overwhelming, and so I'm just playing the game. :)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
GAME delivered my copy a day earlier (this hasn't happened to me in a long time) but I have to help someone move tonight :'(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Jintor said:
You shouldn't be getting touched in any case, dude.
That's a dumb argument. If you shouldn't be getting touched, why have a health bar at all?

Lakitu

st5fu
Ghost said:
GAME delivered my copy a day earlier (this hasn't happened to me in a long time) but I have to help someone move tonight :'(

Yeah... I got my copy when I got back... installing it now and then downloading Catwoman / Robin content. I won't be able to play until the evening but I can't wait. Thanks Game (do the same with Skyrim).

LiK

PoweredBySoy said:
Is there a known issue with bad discs for the 360? Literally half the time I choose 'play game' the screen will go black as it's loading, but then it stays black. The disc spins at first for about 3 seconds and then goes silent. I have to reboot my 360 in order to try again.
Mine was fine. If it keeps happening, prolly good idea to exchange it.

vixlar

BY2K said:

Grrrrreat!!!! Hahahahaha

Well, back to the theme...

I love Arkham City, but what I liked about Asylum was that it had a thin balance between a "movie" and a videogame. My friends and me had a blast, me playing, they watching, with Asylum. This game feels more like a videogame, and I don't know if my friends would enjoy wathing me solve minigames and side missions.

I love the new combat and new animations, but I'm still in rage because there's still no counter when you are finishing off an enemy on the ground. I would like that you can counter but the enemy you were attepting to KO keeps alive.

And I would like there were some option to turn off some signals. Only let the "RB" signals on.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this game as much as Asylum. I like the risk Rocksteady took to change the scope of the game, and you still as you were the goddamn Batman.

PS: I just recalled the only thing that I think is "out of place". His Grappling Gun (what he uses as a transport). It is ridiculous how long it is. It seems like that mod in Just Cause 2 that let you use your hook form any distance.

cackhyena

vixlar said:
PS: I just recalled the only thing that I think is "out of place". His Grappling Gun (what he uses as a transport). It is ridiculous how long it is. It seems like that mod in Just Cause 2 that let you use your hook form any distance.
No, that's boss. You shut your mouth right now.

Hixx

No internet till Tuesday but I'm picking this up tomorrow, quick question regarding catwoman: is it worth waiting till I can download it to play the game or can it wait for an eventual replay? Sorry if similar q's flooding thread, on phone and signal here makes using the net an exercise in frustration...

DodgerSan

Ghost said:
Unlike my Forza 4 preorder which didn't arrive until the Tuesday after launch :/

Any advice on how to work in more takedowns into combat? The RT+Y ground takedown takes forever & you can't breakout of the animation if some thug comes running up. Are there other takedowns that are faster? Or tips to isolate people long enough to knock out a downed guard without a pipe to the back of Batman's head?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
HixxSAFC said:
No internet till Tuesday but I'm picking this up tomorrow, quick question regarding catwoman: is it worth waiting till I can download it to play the game or can it wait for an eventual replay? Sorry if similar q's flooding thread, on phone and signal here makes using the net an exercise in frustration...
The catwoman stuff is really cool and definitely worth playing but I'd go ahead and start the rest of the game since the whole thing is fantastic.

cackhyena

Epyon MX said:
Any advice on how to work in more takedowns into combat? The RT+Y ground takedown takes forever & you can't breakout of the animation if some thug comes running up. Are there other takedowns that are faster? Or tips to isolate people long enough to knock out a downed guard without a pipe to the back of Batman's head?
? I thought you can counter if someone's about to hit you. Coulda swore I've done this before.

Jintor

Epyon MX said:

Of course. Get the upgrade that lets you special move after 5 hits, then Y+B your way to victory, or knock multiple people to the ground and multi-ground takedown, or just keep punching people until they fall over. Ground takedowns are for finishers or in exceedingly safe positions.

cackhyena said:
? I thought you can counter if someone's about to hit you. Coulda swore I've done this before.

Only after you've actually hit the downed thug. Bats is locked into animation until then.

cackhyena

Jintor said:
Only after you've actually hit the downed thug. Bats is locked into animation until then.
That's kind of a bummer. Hitting B then X to do that multi hit finisher, you can easily counter out of something that animation heavy. I guess they wanted a penalty for letting you quick down someone.

SpeedingUptoStop

vixlar said:
I don't find the grappling gun length an issue as much as the banging into objects unflinchly bit is the most video-gamey thing about this whole game. They try to minimize it by not letting you grapple from certain angles, but it is totally still there. Next game oughta have Batman push things like out of the way or break right the fuck through them. If the free flow combat is this buttery smooth, the grappling gun oughta be too.

SpeedingUptoStop

cackhyena said:
That's kind of a bummer. Hitting B then X to do that multi hit finisher, you can easily counter out of something that animation heavy. I guess they wanted a penalty for letting you quick down someone.
Although more of the time, it's a penalty for hitting the wrong button. :p

Batman: Arkham City hasn't been dispatched from Amazon.co.uk yet. I'm worried it won't arrive tomorrow.

Has anyone who ordered from Amazon.co.uk had theirs dispatched yet?

Birbo

About an hour in so far and I'm loving it. The whole beginning where
Bruce Wayne is taken into custody was awesome. It really mirrored the first game well; the slow walk into Arkham with the Joker and now the same for Bruce. Breaking free & climbing up the building to get the bat-gear, followed by your first look over the city was so much fun,
I already can't wait to replay it.

Also, is there any way to get a steelbook case here in the US? I mean besides pay $80 on ebay?

JohngPR

If I just beat the museum section, how far am I into the game percentage wise? Not sure how accurate the in-game percentage is. :p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I read a lot of the comments about AA being better before I picked up the game last night. After playing through the first couple levels, and wandering around the overworld a bit, I have to say that I like AC a LOT more than AA. For whatever reason, AA really didn't take to me the way it took to others, and AC is a vast improvement in my eyes.

I still think the combat system is visually splendid but mechanically lacking, and I still hate the reliance on context sensitive objects to traverse the world, but these are things about video games that I guess are here to stay, no matter how much I hate them.

The new pause menu GUI is gorgeous, and I do like the integration of the Wayne Tech aesthetic to give it more in-game significance.

All in all, I'm enjoying the game, and the plethora of side quests are really well implemented. There's no question that I'm having way way more fun in the game when I'm outside, than when I'm inside.

EDIT: Also, anyone who thought making Catwoman the second playable story character would be a better idea than Robin and/or Nightwing needs to be shot.

I can't imagine any person sitting in a meeting, saying "People want to play someone else in the next game. But fuck Nightwing and Robin, they're not cool. Let's use Catwoman, a character that no Batman comic fan has any interest in!"

thetrin

Anabuhabkuss said:
Generally, I agree with you but not in the case of this game. If you had to do everything manually, it would kill the pace and the vibe that you ARE Batman. there would be no way in hell any of us could traverse an entire city as Batman by having to aim every grapple shot for 20 or so hours.
I'm not asking that you have to grapple things by aiming. I just wish I wasn't so hamstrung when I'm NOT grappling or gliding. I don't know why you can't just run around like any other action game. It reminds me so much of what I hate about the way Gears of War controls. At least the run in this game is more controllable than the roadie run.

Again, the grapnel boost with the glide makes traversal really really fun. I'm not shitting on the game. I just hate everything involving touching the ground that doesn't include punching a thug in the neck (And even then, the combat flow is cool, but actual combat is too reliant on switching between counters and striking, rather than building combos like Bayonetta, which I find far more enjoyable)

There's no question that the way the combat is now fits Batman far more than Bayonetta style combat. I just don't find it very fun.

bryehn

Wasn't able to download Catwoman till today. Put about 2 hours in, but haven't completed any missions after the intro. Partway through the Szaaz mission and did a bunch of Riddler stuff. Should I start over or does the CW stuff start soon/later?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
bryehn said:
Wasn't able to download Catwoman till today. Put about 2 hours in, but haven't completed any missions after the intro. Partway through the Szaaz mission and did a bunch of Riddler stuff. Should I start over or does the CW stuff start soon/later?
The first episode or two should be on the main menu for you to select. I assume the other missions will show up when you get there.

W Hudson

Kyoufu said:
Does the combat ever improve? Right now its mindless mashing of Square plus Triangle during visual cues to counter.

Please tell me there is more to combat than this.

Been seeing a few posts about the combat along these lines. Maybe its the fact that I don't play too many games with combat like Batman (closest would probably be God of War) but I think the combat is incredibly well done and deep. Yeah, you can just hit attack and counter all day, but for me the fun is in trying to incorporate all Batman's moves and gadgets into the combos. Off the top of my head I can think of these moves which can all be incorporated:
Attack, Counter, Cape Stun, Triple Cape Stun, Evade, Air Attack, Instant Takedown, Instant Air Takedown, Bat Swarm, Ground Pound, Beat Down, Double Counter, Triple Counter, and the Weapon Snatch move

And then you have all the gadgets you can work into the combo:

Batarang, Explosive Gel, Batclaw, Electric Shock, and Ice Grenade

To me that's a lot. Like I said I have never played games like Devil May Cry or anything along those lines so maybe I don't have the correct frame of reference. But I think combat is an absolute blast in AC.

DodgerSan

ashbash159 said:
Batman: Arkham City hasn't been dispatched from Amazon.co.uk yet. I'm worried it won't arrive tomorrow.

Has anyone who ordered from Amazon.co.uk had theirs dispatched yet?
I've had dispatch notices from them at midnight before and it arrived that day. Wouldn't panic yet.

Top Bottom