• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Anabuhabkuss said:
I hear ya. Combo system is still great and fits Batman's universe perfectly. You can tie in his gadgets and all his moves in a fight and string a 100 moves. I wouldn't put it as black and white as you have as there are some very impressive combos that can be viewed on youtube.

i die for bayonetta, too. it's probably my favorite game but these two are on completely different planes of existence and i do not feel it is fair to compare the two.
I compare them because they're action games. I'm not asking AC to be Bayonetta. Certainly not. I know it can't be. I just enjoy Bayo's combat a lot more, and I don't think it's false equivalency to state that.

That said, I do enjoy the addition of quick fire gadgets in combat. Using the REC to force people to hit each other is priceless.

Again, I think I enjoy the side quests, the traversal, and the scope of the outdoors a lot more than the core gameplay, which (outside of the predator sections) I'm actually not a big fan of at all.

So yeah. It's a fun game, and I'm quite enjoying it, but it's nowhere near the GOTF that everyone bills it as. But that shouldn't be surprising. I never seem to like the games everyone else loves.

W Hudson said:
To me that's a lot. Like I said I have never played games like Devil May Cry or anything along those lines so maybe I don't have the correct frame of reference. But I think combat is an absolute blast in AC.
It's not bad, but if you play Bayonetta or DMC, you realize how shallow the combat in AC is.

It also lacks mobility. I don't feel like I can be anywhere I want during combat. I just have to follow the flow of the combat and hit the buttons based on where the combat lands me. You can evade, sure, but it's much more beneficial to evade once to an optimal spot, and start a combo from there.

That said, I played as Robin in the challenge maps last night, and loved the way he fights. The staff adds so much, and his group counters are vicious.

I'm sure I'm insane for saying this, but despite all my complaints about the combat, I will probably buy the Nightwing DLC. I love Nightwing that much.

Also, fuck whoever thought Catwoman was a better second character than Nightwing/Robin.

JohngPR

Anabuhabkuss said:
If you can't trust in-game statistics , what makes you think you can trust us?

Go to statistics and look at Story Mode complete %

I'm not sure what the in-game one takes into account. Also, I just said I didn't trust it, which should tip you off that I am aware of where its at. Thanks anyway though.

:)

MCXC Pioneer said:
About 25%

Thanks! So I'd say it's about accurate then....it says I'm 19% done.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
cackhyena said:
Guess I'm in the minority. I like the Zaz stuff.
I agree. It's really easy to make it to the phones in time and the monologues he gives while you're tracing calls are really cool. The end of the mission is pretty cool too.

kodecraft

Zeliard said:
She plays really well. I've loved her sections so far, and it's neat that you can replay them independently from the menu as well. I delayed doing her missions just to pounce around the city and play around with her slick fighting style.

I have to keep pointing this out....she controls like Spider-man should....so nice.

Lol now we are comparing this game to bayonetta. Lols and sighs. Its like comparing zelda to devil may cry. Anyways.

The harley quinn part is funny.
the part where u can untape and tape her mouth shut
.... Douche batman in full effect

TxdoHawk

Beaten. Well, I finished the main story and now I am on the last Catwoman sequence with
Two-Face
which is definitely tough. I seem to continually
get him down to almost no health left, then fuck up the last "bombing run" on the bastard and get shot dead.
It doesn't help that
the room is extremely finnicky about letting you whip back up to the statues, at least in my experience. All my deaths seem to be related to the fact that I can't consistently drop down, pound on Two-Face, and quickly whip back up.

ironcreed

Banned
So, is this game really all that and a ball of wax? I enjoyed Arkham Asylum for one play through, so figured renting would be the best option here. However, all I am hearing is how, "it is one of the best games ever made" and all that jazz. Maybe I should just go ahead and buy it. Or is this more hype than reality, as is usually the case? In summary, is it truly one of the greats... or is it just another great game?

Lakitu

st5fu
I've put in an hour or so. It's surprisingly taken me longer than I thought to get used to the controls.

I've just been gliding everywhere, beating up enemies to get XP and I did the first
Catwoman / Two Face mission in the Courthouse
. I also activated the Mysterious Watcher side-quest and I've saved a couple of political prisoners. The game is incredible, atmospheric and wonderfully done. I could gliding and stand on rooftops all day. It's stunning, really. My one question is, do I go looking for side-quests or will they happen as I progress through the game?

Nedjoe

Neo Member
Lakitu said:
I've put in an hour or so. It's surprisingly taken me longer than I thought to get used to the controls.

I've just been gliding everywhere, beating up enemies to get XP and I did the first
Catwoman / Two Face mission in the Courthouse
. I also activated the Mysterious Watcher side-quest and I've saved a couple of political prisoners. The game is incredible, atmospheric and wonderfully done. I could gliding and stand on rooftops all day. It's stunning, really. My one question is, do I go looking for side-quests or will they happen as I progress through the game?

Some you can just find exploring and some open up after specific story bits.

Korosenai

TxdoHawk said:
Beaten. Well, I finished the main story and now I am on the last Catwoman sequence with
Two-Face
which is definitely tough. I seem to continually
get him down to almost no health left, then fuck up the last "bombing run" on the bastard and get shot dead.
It doesn't help that
the room is extremely finnicky about letting you whip back up to the statues, at least in my experience. All my deaths seem to be related to the fact that I can't consistently drop down, pound on Two-Face, and quickly whip back up.
Whats funny is
I attacked him right off the bat and then went and hid, and all of his henchmen stayed up top, while he walked off by his self down low, so I dropped down low and took him out. I got very lucky.

ironcreed said:
So, is this game really all that and a ball of wax? I enjoyed Arkham Asylum for one play through, so figured renting would be the best option here. However, all I am hearing is how, "it is one of the best games ever made" and all that jazz. Maybe I should just go ahead and buy it. Or is this more hype than reality, as is usually the case? In summary, is it truly one of the greats... or is it just another great game?
Its more hype cause it doesnt play like bayonetta whenever you fight someone. Im mad they didnt let you put rocket launchers on ur feet. Wtf rocksteady

ironcreed

Banned
Fixed2BeBroken said:
Its more hype cause it doesnt play like bayonetta whenever you fight someone. Im mad they didnt let you put rocket launchers on ur feet. Wtf rocksteady

LOL, I was not expecting it to play like that. I actually loved the flow of the beat 'em up combat that was in Arkham Asylum. Serious answer please?

Neiteio

I was browsing the interwebs and I saw a spoiler that
Clayface
is in the game. OH SNAP.

But where is
Scarecrow
? Seems to be the only one missing, unless he's in there and I just haven't found out yet.

Either that, or perhaps he'll get his own DLC side story... Speaking of which, I'd be totally down for a
Scarecrow
campaign (assuming he's not in the main game; I'm only at the Penguin dungeon right now), and for co-op DLC where you and a buddy can explore and beat up thugs together. Imagine RDR's Free Roam mode in Arkham City. :)

zlatko

Banned
*breathes heavily into a paper bag* God I hope my video store has it today. Otherwise, tomorrow.

I want to play sooooooooo bad. ; ;

Carbonox

StevePharma said:
Amazon is dispatching soon....

HHHNNNGGGG.... I need this in my weekend. So jelly of you all right now.

Soon.jpg

I have so much fucking bad luck with online shops these days. I'm in the same boat as you.

ironcreed said:
LOL, I was not expecting it to play like that. I actually loved the flow of the beat 'em up combat that was in Arkham Asylum. Serious answer please?
I was mocking a ridiculous comparison someone made, nothing to do with you. But if you liked AA. Then this is AA but in a open world where you have the freedom to do what you want. And also batman is 100 times more bad ass because of it. Also theres a lot more sidequests to do because of it too. Basically it lives up to the hype if you arent super cynical and are trying to find something to complain about

hamchan

ironcreed said:
It's pretty much more Arkham Asylum. IMO Arkham Asylum is one of the best games of the generation so this is true of Arkham City too but if you thought Asylum was only rental worthy then I recommend you to rent this one as well.

Also I will say on the combat that Arkham definitely has shallower combat than DMC or Bayonetta. However I still enjoy the combat system in Arkham much more than those games. I played through all the DMCs and Bayo 2 times but the first Arkham game I played through 3 times and I got 100% in it. I'll probably do the same for City. I'm top 50 in many of the combat challenges. The free flow in the combat system, even though it's relatively simple, is just so fun and amazing to watch and play. I love it so much.

cackhyena

ironcreed said:
Don't do that. It's a great game and you won't get a single person here saying it's "one of the greats" so close from release. Not anyone worth listening to. It doesn't work that way. It's got amazing elements, and it's got divisive elements. If you only thought AA was worth a rental, then rent this and see for your self.

It has more to do overall, and is for me, a better experience opening it up like this. A lot of what made AA...well, AA is still here.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Fixed2BeBroken said:
Lol now we are comparing this game to bayonetta. Lols and sighs. Its like comparing zelda to devil may cry. Anyways.

The harley quinn part is funny.
the part where u can untape and tape her mouth shut
.... Douche batman in full effect

;)

I kept doing this 7 or 8 times, myself.

Sinthetic

Just started, wow @ me not being able to string combo attacks together at all. I thought I was awesome, what with me getting the AA Platinum. I am going to put this down to rust.

ironcreed

Banned
cackhyena said:
Don't do that. It's a great game and you won't get a single person here saying it's "one of the greats" so close from release. Not anyone worth listening to. It doesn't work that way. It's got amazing elements, and it's got divisive elements. If you only thought AA was worth a rental, then rent this and see for your self.

It has more to do overall, and is for me, a better experience opening it up like this. A lot of what made AA...well, AA is still here.

Sorry, I was merely asking if it truly lived up to some of the reviews that say it is one of the greats. The Metacritic certainly seems to back up that it does, but that is worthless to me when compared to honest and rational user feedback. Just trying to get a general feel if word of mouth leaned more toward the review hype is all.

At any rate, it is sitting on the top of my Gamefly Queue and I may wait to see if they ship it out. If not, I may go ahead and pick it up. I am certain I will enjoy it and would like to get access to the Cat Woman content without having to pay for it anyway. We shall see. Thanks for the feedback.

Question:

Is
Scarecrow
in the game at all? If not, doesn't that make him/her the only non-reoccurring character from the first game?

hamchan

badcrumble said:
Question:

Is
Scarecrow
in the game at all? If not, doesn't that make him/her the only non-reoccurring character from the first game?
No, he's not in. Killer Croc also isn't in.

cackhyena

ironcreed said:
Sorry, I was merely asking if it truly lived up to some of the reviews that say it is one of the greats. The Metacritic certainly seems to back up that it is, but that is worthless to me when compared to honest and rational user feedback. Just trying to get a general feel if word of mouth leaned more toward the review hype is all.

At any rate, it is sitting on the top of my Gamefly Queue and I may wait to see if they ship it out. If not, I may go ahead and pick it up. I am certain I will enjoy it and would like to get access to the Cat Woman content without having to pay for it anyway. We shall see. Thanks for the feedback.
No need to apologize, just sayin'. The best answer is don't get caught up in any of it. Reviews, word of mouth, just test the waters if you are interested. I check out one or two review sites I trust and take every bit of praise from early buyers with a grain of salt. It's the only way, man.

ironcreed

Banned
cackhyena said:
No need to apologize, just sayin'. The best answer is don't get caught up in any of it. Reviews, word of mouth, just test the waters if you are interested. I check out one or two review sites I trust and take every bit of praise from early buyers with a grain of salt. It's the only way, man.

Oh, I try not to get caught up in it. I do tend to trust word of mouth more than reviews, though. I could have read the 100 page thread, but just decided to test the waters in order to get a general feel merely out of curiosity. As I did enjoy Arkham Asylum, but think this looks much better. Anyway, I'll end up playing it either way, lol.

ironcreed said:
Oh, I try not to get caught up in it. I do tend to trust word of mouth more than reviews, though. I could have read the 100 page thread, but just decided to test the waters in order to get a general feel merely out of curiosity. As I did enjoy Arkham Asylum, but think this looks much better. Anyway, I'll end up playing it either way, lol.
Listen i have alot of disposable income and get to play alot of games upon release. This has been the best game ive played upon release in quite a while. But with that said, i loved AA and wanted AA with a more open world. Rocksteady gave me almost everything i asked for which is why i love this so much

cackhyena

Fixed2BeBroken said:
Listen i have alot of disposable income and get to play alot of games upon release. This has been the best game ive played upon release in quite a while. But with that said, i loved AA and wanted AA with a more open world. Rocksteady gave me almost everything i asked for which is why i love this so much
So this is basically me as well. I liked AA a lot, but I wanted it to be this game. Now I got that.

ironcreed

Banned
Fixed2BeBroken said:

Yes, the open world aspect is something that I am finding really appealing. From the sound of things they absolutely nailed it as well. Thanks for the feedback, man. Much appreciated.

I'd love it if Rocksteady would eventually offer Robin/Nightwing DLC that gets integrated directly into the campaign like the Catwoman stuff. And yes, I know that's either unlikely or impossible. But it'd be so cool :(

Just to go back to what I mentioned before: it'd be especially awesome to have a few
Dick Grayson sequences with Scarecrow involving the death of his parents
, or an appearance from Jason Todd as the Red Hood.

I just got off the phone with support from WB Games. They're escalating the issue to someone about the missing collectible cards. There's no ETA on when they will be sent out.

hamchan

badcrumble said:
I'd love it if Rocksteady would eventually offer Robin/Nightwing DLC that gets integrated directly into the campaign like the Catwoman stuff. And yes, I know that's either unlikely or impossible. But it'd be so cool :(

Just to go back to what I mentioned before: it'd be especially awesome to have a few
Dick Grayson sequences with Scarecrow involving the death of his parents
, or an appearance from Jason Todd as the Red Hood.
I think Batman doesn't know Jason Todd is alive yet, since this is set pre-Hush.

S1kkZ

my xbox always freezes when i boot the game the first time. i always have the power down the xbox and pull the ethernet cable, otherwise the game will always freeze again. this only happens when i am connected to xbl.

Just beat the main story. Liked AA's better but this is a damn fine game.

The Side Missions alone make it the better complete "game". So much fun.

AEREC

S1kkZ said:
my xbox always freezes when i boot the game the first time. i always have the power down the xbox and pull the ethernet cable, otherwise the game will always freeze again. this only happens when i am connected to xbl.

I posted a while back but this happens to me sometimes too. Im not sure what it is but Tomb Raider Underworld does this as well sometimes.

Top Bottom