• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
thetrin said:
It's actually really easy. I couldn't figure it out at first, but it's poorly explained.

You're probably doing it at the height of the jump, which you're not supposed to do (it's also what I thought you had to do when I first got the grapnel boost). You do X, X (HOLD) while you're zip lining up. It then speeds your zip, and you get launched. Holding X brings up your glide, and you fly.

It's really easy, they just do a piss poor job of explaining it.
Same here. It was really annoying at first but now I use it all the time. It's really useful for getting around the city.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
RoboPlato said:
Same here. It was really annoying at first but now I use it all the time. It's really useful for getting around the city.
It's also fucking awesome fun to chain a bunch together and get some good height and momentum.

upJTboogie said:
It has arrived :D

132167-mk_batsignal_batman_r.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Before I started playing the game, I told my roommate "I would love if the game started you out as
Bruce Wayne, and you got to walk around the mansion for a bit before getting a bat signal
."

I didn't get
the mansion part, but I was happy to see you get to play as Bruce. AA sorely lacked that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Now that I think about it a lot of the controls are poorly explained. I can never remember the quick use buttons for gadgets and the help messages that stay on screen are really annoying. I want to turn them off but sometimes they seem like they'd be useful when I really don't know what to do. I wish there was a setting when they would only come up as an initial tutorial or when necessary instead of always on or always off.

cpp_is_king said:
I practiced for like 10 minutes and I only got it to work like three times. I don't know if I'm just terrible at the game but pulling off this move seems unnecessarily difficult.
You need to keep holding X while you dive, then just let go of the dive button and you'll naturally swoop forward at a slight upward angle. I kept fucking it up for a while because I'd let go of X or something. You'll get used to it and it'll be second nature in no time once you figure it out.

cackhyena

RoboPlato said:
Now that I think about it a lot of the controls are poorly explained. I can never remember the quick use buttons for gadgets and the help messages that stay on screen are really annoying. I want to turn them off but sometimes they seem like they'd be useful when I really don't know what to do. I wish there was a setting when they would only come up as an initial tutorial or when necessary instead of always on or always off.
Well, in the moves menu, you can always check out everything there is to do.

The question marks that hide behind a fence when I hit a pressure plate are baffling me. Maybe I need an upgrade?
explosive gel
is your friend:)

Also remember that when using multiple
explosive gel ammo on different question marks
you can click on the RS button to go into first person and point at the one you want to
explode instead of doing a simultaneous detonation.
You'll find that useful for some of those tricker Riddler trophies that light up in certain sequences.

I can't remember the game ever explaining that to me but I stumbled upon it.

On one hand I understand the complaints about the game doing a poor job explaining some of its mechanics. On the other, I've regularly bitched to friends how tired I am of tutorial levels in games and it's refreshing to just get thrown in the deep end of the pool for once. Sink or swim and what not.

thetrin

RoboPlato said:
Yeah. There's a weird inconsistency to the context sensitive displays too. Sometimes it tells you, sometimes it doesn't. I wish it would do one or the other.

2&2 said:
For anyone with the 360 version installed on their HD:

Does the disc continue to spin a looooong time after the game starts?

This is the first time I've seen this happen.

Actually I couldnt launch the game when installed to disc, I had to uninstall it.

Double D

Got the game as part of the buy 2 get 1 free at Toys R Us yesterday. I didn't expect to get a free Batman figure. I'll give it to my kid tonight, but for the rest of the day he'll be playing air guitar on my desk.

vR2igl.jpg

MacBosse

So I'm just soaking in the awesome atmosphere in Arkham City, fresh into the game right after the first "mission" when I see from my high vantage point that a group of about ten thugs has gathered on the street. Oh goodie, a good first romp with a large group I giggle for myself diving head first into the first thug.

So I'm battling thugs left and right when the chopper spots me with its spotlight and goes over the radio-com "I got a visual on Batman and it looks like he is kicking all kinds of ass".

... OMG. GOTY.

ced

I really do love the combat in these games, but man it is not for the impatient like myself. I have to make mental efforts not to button mash or go for that extra hit after every parry. With that said, it is really difficult for me to get a read on when I can continue a beating after a parry or just wait for the next attack to come. Getting the critical timing is great too.

The more I play, the more I wish they had made the gliding control more arcadish and less realistic. It's just so cumbersome and next to impossible to not overcook every single sharp turn, fuck up every dive into a tight area, and crash into several walls that you really don't want to crash into.

Oh, and can anyone tell me where I can find one of those little pullable rafts out in the city? I clearly need it for some Riddler stuff and a side mission.

OOOHOHHH I SEE WHAT I DO HERE.

MacBosse said:
So I'm battling thugs left and right when the chopper spots me with its spotlight and goes over the radio-com "I got a visual on Batman and it looks like he is kicking all kinds of ass".

... OMG. GOTY.

This is my favorite part as well. Spotlight hits you when you're in a street fight and you hear like "We've spotted Batman and he's fucking everyone up!"

gdlk.

kaskade

Side missions feel kind of weird in this game. The main story is so time sensitive it's kind of weird just wandering off. Probably just something I have to get used to.

I could be wrong, but it seems like the PC version is going to launch with the Nightwing DLC included. If you look at the steam achievements, they have the Nightwing ones listed.

kaskade said:
Side missions feel kind of weird in this game. The main story is so time sensitive it's kind of weird just wandering off. Probably just something I have to get used to.
That's one of my gripes. I loved AA. This feels so different that it's astounding and overwhelming. Part of me so far really likes the tightness of the narrative and gameplay of the first game, the other part loves the openness of AC. I really have to hand it to rocksteady. They've done an amazing job of making two completely different style of games with the same core mechanics.

RoninChaos said:
That's one of my gripes. I loved AA. This feels so different that it's astounding and overwhelming. Part of me so far really likes the tightness of the narrative and gameplay of the first game, the other part loves the openness of AC. I really have to hand it to rocksteady. They've done an amazing job of making two completely different style of games with the same core mechanics.
Some of the side mission stuff feels kind of irritating. In particular the political prisoners and the Riddler informant guys. The political prisoners don't seem to provide me with ANYTHING for saving them and the Riddler guys make me fight with this weird style so as to not accidentally finish them off.

krameriffic said:
Some of the side mission stuff feels kind of irritating. In particular the political prisoners and the Riddler informant guys. The political prisoners don't seem to provide me with ANYTHING for saving them and the Riddler guys make me fight with this weird style so as to not accidentally finish them off.
Yeah, the way the game's mechanics actually work goes against the narrative they're trying to tell. It's like "Go find so and so" and then you spend 3 hours looking for riddler trophies and beating people up while trying to answer phones.

I'm not sure how I feel about the gliding. I rarely ever feel like I'm in control. The AR challenges make me want to kill myself.

Tadale

krameriffic said:

I think 'weird style' is good. Changes the way you handle combat.

Cutwolf

So I gave in and couldn't wait for the PC version. Picked it up on 360. Loving it so far.

The music in the game is fantastic as well. I rarely notice or care about music in games, but this and Dark Souls have two of the best scores I've heard in awhile.

Tadale said:
I think 'weird style' is good. Changes the way you handle combat.
Have you fought a group with two tasers, two shields, two armored, a gun crate, a Riddler informant and tons of stuff to throw at you yet? It makes me want to kill myself.

Anabuhabkuss said:
You haven't grasped the mchanics just yet.

There's more to the combat than simply not getting hit. You are scored on how many times you get hit, how many moves and gadgets you use. You have to mix it up and do it flawlessly. You shouldn't only be getting 7000 on the first challenge. My first time I had 31k ish.

You have several moves in your arsenal to keep the combat and score going:

Strike
Counter
Bat cape
quick batarang
flip over
roll
down strike
throw
gadget (left trigger+ square, triangle,or circle or x,y,b)
In AA the key was building up the combo (without knocking anybody out) then throwing down a bunch of ground takedowns for like 5000 points each. The triple batarang and ultra batclaw made it very easy to do.

Speaking thus, WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY DO WITH MY ULTRA BATCLAW?

RPGCrazied

Can anyone help me with a side mission?

Deadshot. I'm on the 3rd one, I follow the bullet line, but it just vanishes into a fan on top of a building. Any help would be great.

Sullichin

MacBosse said:
So I'm just soaking in the awesome atmosphere in Arkham City, fresh into the game right after the first "mission" when I see from my high vantage point that a group of about ten thugs has gathered on the street. Oh goodie, a good first romp with a large group I giggle for myself diving head first into the first thug.

... OMG. GOTY.

You can grapple up to the helicopter if it doesn't see you, it's so badass ;)

Tadale

krameriffic said:
Have you fought a group with two tasers, two shields, two armored, a gun crate, a Riddler informant and tons of stuff to throw at you yet? It makes me want to kill myself.

No, not that complex. But I like the game to keep adding stuff – I don't want to always be jamming on X and occasionally having to press Y.

Really, the important thing is not to button mash and to choose each strike deliberately. If you whiff a hit, it resets your combo back to zero (not to mention you'll only rarely get Critical Strikes).

RPGCrazied

The PS3 version runs pretty smooth, until you are flying and gliding around the city fast, then you will see some tearing and hiccups. It runs much better than AA on PS3, or so I think. Still no Antialasing.

I'm really enjoying Rocksteady's interpretation of Riddler in AC. He was pretty much "classic" Riddler in AA, but adding a bit of Jigsaw to his persona and what he does makes him much more interesting and able to stand on his own in their version of Gotham.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
MacBosse said:

... OMG. GOTY.
Yea, between this and the *iceberg lounge spoiler*
Batman beating the shit out of a shark
, it's pretty clear these guys know what makes Batman and gaming beautiful.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Finished it. Need to think about it some more before I post final thoughts... also I still have challenges to play and riddles to solve.

Sullichin

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Yea, between this and the *iceberg lounge spoiler*
Batman beating the shit out of a shark
, it's pretty clear these guys know what makes Batman and gaming beautiful.

That part was cool, but pressing the beat down button just flat out didn't work for me the first 4 times I tried.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Anabuhabkuss said:
I don't even know what to do with the second. it just disappears at a gambling sign and then...?
Same is happening to me. I thought it was a glitch so I just continued and I'm going to go back to it once I finish up the area I'm currently in.

Just finished the game and that was a pretty awesome ride!!!!! Now its time to finish up all the side quest!! Bravo Rocksteady!!! On another not, this game runs rock solid on PS3. I wish other developers would put forth the effort with the unreal engine.

PS. Longest creditable ever. There still going. I generally watch all the creditable when I finish a game, but this is pushing the limits

Barrett2

Weird. I ordered this on Amazon a few months ago, but subsequently canceled the order. I got an email today stating that I had received the $10 pre-order credit..

Anyone else get this? I guess its just a nice thing in my favor...?

lawblob said:
Weird. I ordered this on Amazon a few months ago, but subsequently canceled the order. I got an email today stating that I had received the $10 pre-order credit..

Anyone else get this? I guess its just a nice thing in my favor...?

BRB, calling the IRS.

Sullichin

The animations in this game are fucking insane. There's a wall near you while you're in a fight? Don't worry, Batman is going to do something awesome with it. Interrogating an enemy that's near a ledge? Yeah, he'll incorporate that in the most fluid, badass way possible. Countering 3 enemies at once results in some incredible contextual animations. Very, very impressive, and the framerate never seems to falter.

SpeedingUptoStop

Oh man, the interrogations. So satisfying. Beating up the last dude, then slamming Y, Batman rushes right across the rom and grabs this mudda fucka by the throat, That's Badass Batman.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Oh man, the interrogations. So satisfying. Beating up the last dude, then slamming Y, Batman rushes right across the rom and grabs this mudda fucka by the throat, That's Badass Batman.
My favorite is holding them by the leg and dangling them over the ledge.

The dialogue is awesome during those too.
Thug: "Don't hurt me!"
Batman: "Wouldn't dream of it." *Punches thug in throat*

SpeedingUptoStop

RoboPlato said:
My favorite is holding them by the leg and dangling them over the ledge.

The dialogue is awesome during those too.
Thug: "Don't hurt me!"
Batman: "Wouldn't dream of it." *Punches thug in throat*
I've only done that with
Quincy Sharp
so far. Need to find more regular thugs to go after with this!

Just finished the story, loved every minute of it.

I'm glad I never saw that Kotaku spoiler, a lot of really cool scenes in the last few hours.

Going to start up new game + soon, can't wait.

What series is this figure from? It is awesome!

vR2igl.jpg

God its painful coming on here since I have to wait till tomorrow being in the shitty UK to get my copy and all i hear about is people finishing the game. Wish I could have booked a day off work but alas it wasn't meant to be :)

LosDaddie

Banned
LosDaddie said:
So what am I missing out on if I pick-up the game today, and (obviously) didn't pre-order? A batman skin? I think I can deal with not having the TAS Batman skin, if I can find a NOS can with the Batman Beyond skin code.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to use my Uncharted 3 pre-order and just get Batman instead.

Anybody? :(

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Quick question on how far I am in terms of story progress:
I just finished up the section with Ra's Al Ghul and the League of Assassin's.
How much is left?

Top Bottom