• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

tralfazz

nismogrendel said:
Just finished the story, loved every minute of it.

I'm glad I never saw that Kotaku spoiler, a lot of really cool scenes in the last few hours.

Going to start up new game + soon, can't wait.

What series is this figure from? It is awesome!

vR2igl.jpg

Saw that at Toysrus when I picked my game up there. I assume it's an exclusive to coincide with them having the 1970's skin bonus.

Nose Master

In the Museum:
I was playing this with a friend around, so I was being dumb. After clearing out one of the rooms, I dove off a balcony to go to the ice: "BATMAN AWAY!" "It looks like some of the ice has me--" "OH JESUS FUCK" And then I got eaten by a shark. :(

Sliding up stairs is also hilarious.

Mr. Sam

I'm still early on in the game. I was a bit iffy at first; a little overwhelmed at the sheer scale of the city and all the things there are to do. There's very little hand-holding, tutorials are minimal, and - for the first time ever - that was a little bit frustrating. Some experimentation in the campaign and in the challenge maps, however, will quickly help you find your feet. Once you've got a handle on things, you end up using the full array of Batman's abilities to tackle missions, and it's so satisfying that I can't even put it into words.

My one complaint I have is that I can't use my Batman Beyond skin until I unlock New Game+. Well, except in the challenge rooms. I didn't think it looked too nice when IGN first revealed it in motion, but on my screen and in motion it looks positively gorgeous. It's bizarrely nice not to have that cape constantly flapping about in front of you like a flaccid... ahem.

Good game. Good game.

Edit:

Dirtyshubb said:
God its painful coming on here since I have to wait till tomorrow being in the shitty UK to get my copy and all i hear about is people finishing the game. Wish I could have booked a day off work but alas it wasn't meant to be :)

Should have pre-ordered at Gamestop, Shubbmeister!

sSfFxl.jpg

White Man

Thug chit chat repeats far, far too often. So does Batman. I wanted to meander around the city and kick some random asses, but it seemed like Batman would repeat the next story objective every several minutes. Please tell me this problem goes away (at least with Batman's reminders. The thugs repeating their lines isn't that annoying).

White Man said:
Thug chit chat repeats far, far too often. So does Batman. I wanted to meander around the city and kick some random asses, but it seemed like Batman would repeat the next story objective every several minutes. Please tell me this problem goes away (at least with Batman's reminders. The thugs repeating their lines isn't that annoying).

I heard some new lines after the ending, was running around as Catwoman and some thug said something about
being so hungry/cold (cant remember which) he would drink his own piss.

Really minor spoiler there, has nothing to do with story.

But yea I get what you are saying, interrogations repeat a lot too.

Petrie

Banned
Looking for a bit of help again:

I just got to the part where you first encounter thugs with the electric sticks, and then Strange makes you not fight or he will kill the guy on the tv screen, it's right by the entrance to Arkham. I got past that part, beat the guys, and now can't figure out where to go. There is a sewer drain but when I go down it I find a few Riddler trophies but don't see anything else. Can't for the life of me figure out where to go.

Having fun so far, the intro met the hype, really well done. That opening theme too O_O. My face is melting off from the amount of stuff there is to do in this game. Not sure if I like that better than the more focused story of the first game, but regardless I'm hooked, been playing for 3 hours straight so need to take a little break.

Sinthetic

So much to see, so much to do, so many thugs to smash in the face.

I like this, it's initially an overload, but then it clicks and the huge combo attacks start flowing and so do the flawless freeflow bonuses.

kaskade said:
Side missions feel kind of weird in this game. The main story is so time sensitive it's kind of weird just wandering off. Probably just something I have to get used to.

So is there actually any urgency to Strange's announcements?
Like when he cites that there are 8 hours, 7 hours, etc left until protocol 10.
Is it a real time clock?

There's something unnervingly automatic about this game. You don't have to have any idea about where you're going, don't have to really survey your surroundings because Batman will shoot the right spot on the right ledge with the grappling hook as long as you press the button, or while gliding he'll lock on to an enemy 100 meters below him on the ground that I would never have seen... he'll flip around in a million directions during battle with nothing more than a couple of button taps... there's just something kind of unsatisfying about it. Compared to something like inFamous I don't really feel like I'm interacting with the environment when I'm grappling all around it, it's as simple as pressing R a few times and bam, you're on the roof of some huge cathedral. It's still a really fun game though, the audio/visual presentation is incredible.

GeoramA

Really disappointed you can't use the DLC costumes in your first playthrough. You could in inFamous 2, but not this? Retarded.

Don't give a flying fuck about the challenge maps.

RoboPlato said:
Same is happening to me. I thought it was a glitch so I just continued and I'm going to go back to it once I finish up the area I'm currently in.

The bullet's path is somewhat misleading; it extends too far. Check the edge of the balcony instead, just in front of the gambling sign and you should find what you're looking for.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
shungokusatsu said:
The bullet's path is somewhat misleading; it extends too far. Check the edge of the balcony instead, just in front of the gambling sign and you should find what you're looking for.
Ah, cool. I was confused.

For those of you having the game crashing when installed to drive this is what I did:

Uninstalled the game
Fired up a new story to DL the Catwoman stuff
Exited to the 360 dashboard
Went into the system settings and deleted the title update/deleted game save
Installed the game
Fired up the game and installed the title update

no crashing after that.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Calavera520 said:
So is there actually any urgency to Strange's announcements?
Like when he cites that there are 8 hours, 7 hours, etc left until protocol 10.
Is it a real time clock?

No, it's based on progression of the story.

Lonestar said:
No, it's based on progression of the story.

Nice, well then I still have a ton of the main story left.

Loving this game. It's so satisfying to glide around and drop in on some bad dude and utterly destroy them. This game is a goddamn batman simulator.

JohngPR

Just beat the next story part after the Museum...
Wonderland. Holy balls that part was awesome. Loved meeting Talia Al Ghul and fighting Ras....so awesome. They also dropped a serious hint about Talia and Bruce's relationship (in the comics) to which I wonder if it'll be discussed in this game or not...doubtful though.

This game just keeps getting better. I love all of the additions to the game and I think the scope is perfect. It's not a huge open world, but it's so dense and packed with stuff that it feels a lot bigger than it actually is.

Having a great time with it so far.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Bearded Dudebro said:
I just got through
finding joker for the cure and am fighting him now
, how long would you say I've got left?

Without Catwoman missions, I'd say you're in the final stretch. Possibly an hour or so.

Add on 20-30 minutes w/Catwoman missions.

Anabuhabkuss said:
Any idea why these steps fix the issue? Sounds like a series of random steps slapped together for a desperate grasp at a straw.

Not to say you're wrong.

Not really, when I first put the disc in I downloaded the update. After that I installed the game. Then it started crashing. Unwinding what I had done made sense. I also figured the title update might touch the DLC so might as well do that first. Since then no issues so what I put in the other post worked for me.

Zeth

Ok this is pissing me off. Someone please explain what I'm missing so I can feel dumb. (mid game spoiler?)
at the part where you first start using the freeze nades to traverse water in the steel mill. I'm at a part where it looks like I need to use a remote batarang to go through a hole to hit a fuse box but nothing happens when I hit it. Even the tip that pops up seems to be describing what I'm doing. Im breaking, turning it around to get into the little cage it's in, I've tried hitting it slow, regular, and with boost but I'm unable to advance.

Nori Chan

Zeth said:
Ok this is pissing me off. Someone please explain what I'm missing so I can feel dumb. (mid game spoiler?)
at the part where you first start using the freeze nades to traverse water in the steel mill. I'm at a part where it looks like I need to use a remote batarang to go through a hole to hit a fuse box but nothing happens when I hit it. Even the tip that pops up seems to be describing what I'm doing. Im breaking, turning it around to get into the little cage it's in, I've tried hitting it slow, regular, and with boost but I'm unable to advance.
You see where the electricity is? Get the batarang there then hit the fuse box.

Zeth said:
Run the batarang through the electricity and then hit the fuse box

goshdarnit

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Do the guards respawn infinitely in the last
Catwoman
mission vs
Two Face
?

Because I've taken out a shitload of them and it seems like I haven't made a dent.
lol

If so... this mission is fucking hard as shit. Once you're spotted it's so hard to get away.

Lakitu

st5fu
I managed to stop myself playing for the night. I actually spent most of my time collecting Riddler trophies, beating up enemies to level up and some side-quests before even going to the Church. Just got out of there and things are getting really meaty. Can't wait to play tomorrow again.

Nori Chan

Evolved1 said:
Do the guards respawn infinitely in the last
Catwoman
mission vs
Two Face
?

Because I've taken out a shitload of them and it seems like I haven't made a dent.
lol

If so... this mission is fucking hard as shit. Once you're spotted it's so hard to get away.
lol
You can just hit two face. If you beat him, you don't need to do anything else. I found this out the hard way when I was like screw it, his health is down already, might as well go in for the kill lol

FStop7

Banned
Deepack said:
Man, am I a simpleton or is this game a lot to take in?

Enjoying it a lot though, looks, sounds and feels amazing.

No, it's a lot to take in. I'm not even bothering with the Riddler stuff until after I finish the main story. I'm just tagging trophies for later and then moving on.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Noriega said:
lol
You can just hit two face. If you beat him, you don't need to do anything else. I found this out the hard way when I was like screw it, his health is down already, might as well go in for the kill lol

They rush me though... and kick my ass.

Top Bottom