• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

I've done every single riddle, collected every trophy, and saved every bomb rioter on the map, and all the locations show up as 0 for all of those, the only things left are a few breakable objects in random places...but the story counter thing is telling me I've only done 237/243 Riddler challenges...is there something I'm missing?

d5639b05a8.jpg

Cubed

This is the first PS4 game I've wanted to trade in in over a year. That includes The Order: 1886, which I Platinum'd in a week. At least 1886 has a story I'd maybe replay one day.

I can't see ANY redeeming qualities to this game once I beat the story.

Sad. I really loved Asylum and City... But Knight? A disappointment in EVERY way except graphics. Content? Story? Gameplay? All pretty terrible.

Grexeno

I've done every single riddle, collected every trophy, and saved every bomb rioter on the map, and all the locations show up as 0 for all of those, the only things left are a few breakable objects in random places...but the story counter thing is telling me I've only done 237/243 Riddler challenges...is there something I'm missing?
Yeah you need to finish the breakable objects.

This is the first PS4 game I've wanted to trade in in over a year. That includes The Order: 1886, which I Platinum'd in a week. At least 1886 has a story I'd maybe replay one day.

Sad. I really loved Asylum and City... But Knight? A disappointment in EVERY way except graphics. Content? Story? Gameplay? All pretty terrible.

Care to explain any of that?

Yeah you need to finish the breakable objects.

There's way over 6 breakable objects left though...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

you need to get the breakable objects

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
At first I loved the batmobile, then I HATED it because it was too hard to use. Then I realized I just sucked and eventually got better at it. Battlemode is MUCH better than the actual driving mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68xmjT4Cu1w

I feel that Arkham Knight needed another year of development. I am glad that they delayed it for 6 months, but I feel that WB pressured them into releasing the game, which meant they had to cut corners and literally have a single button press to defeated some of the side villians.

The game is still amazing though, but apart from the main story and about 4 side quests. The game feels empty

Apart from the main story and four sidequests you feel the game is empty?!

That's like saying yeah, I ate an 8oz ribeye steak with a fully loaded bake potato and desert, but that was such an empty meal.

I seriously doubt a year would have benefitted the game much. An extra year costs tons of money. The batmobil has clearly received a lukewarm reception, but in some ways the only way to see that something didn't work is with player feedback.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is my game actually glitched at the very very post game ending stuff? what the fuck.

I am trying to do the first Knightfall Protocol and have the needed 12/14 for it, I pick it and hear Batman say a line about the GCPD rendezous but the game keeps giving me a prompt to select a mission. Since this isn't a part of the wheel and is a button I hit, that obviously doesn't do anything, but I have no ingame marker. I looked up a video and went to the right spot anyway but it's not doing anything, I have no button prompt. The hell?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the only Batmobile section I thought was actually super lame was the initial power winch puzzle bit where you need to glide around on a C-shaped rooftop and use the winch to scale a wall. I was mostly fine with the tank battles.

is it advisable to play the Harley Quinn missions before the main campaign?

I wouldn't say so. It isn't much of a prologue (literally all of the story you already know from the description of the mission) and you appreciate it more after playing a lot of the main game as the different abilities that Harley has creates a contrast that Arkham Knight misses from Arkham City.

Apart from the main story and four sidequests you feel the game is empty?!

That's like saying yeah, I ate an 8oz ribeye steak with a fully loaded bake potato and desert, but that was such an empty meal.

I seriously doubt a year would have benefitted the game much. An extra year costs tons of money. The batmobil has clearly received a lukewarm reception, but in some ways the only way to see that something didn't work is with player feedback.

Maybe they should have released the game on Early Access. Seriously.

Cubed

Care to explain any of that?
Not really. I'm piggy-backing off of the pages upon pages of bitching right before my post. I simply agree with the bitching and was venting my frustrations with the game as well.

Pretty much what bothers so many people also bothers me.

Lingitiz

Gaf consensus seems to be Tank hate. Which baffles and saddens me, I LOVE the batmobile. Everything about it.

My feelings on it started out with disliking it and then growing to love it over time, but by the end they just throw so many vehicles sections at you that I started to despise it.

I don't think the sections are bad, it's just not what I'm looking for and they overused it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Gaf consensus seems to be Tank hate. Which baffles and saddens me, I LOVE the batmobile. Everything about it.

If you have completed the game then yeah, you are unique.

If you haven't completed the game then you really have not experienced anything remotely close to what people hate about it and quite frankly your comment means nothing.

Get back with us then and we will see if you keep that opinion.

Sami+

The Order was a really tight game and didn't have useless fluff padding like the tank sections in Knight. Fair enough if people thought it was too short, I won't argue that, but to me I'd take a short game I love over one that long overstays its welcome to the point of angering me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

If you haven't completed the game then you really have not experienced anything remotely close to what people hate about it and quite frankly your comment means nothing.

I liked them all the way through, including the boss-fights and the 'stealth' sections. They were the parts of the game where it actually pushed back a little and offered more than one "shoot to win" solution, like some of the early tank sections.

Ehh I finished the game and while I don't love the Batmobile I never really hated it either. The big tank battles like the ones that happened when you defused a mine were pretty good, imho, just the
Cobra
ones and the boss battles were quite annoying.

Durden77

Is my game actually glitched at the very very post game ending stuff? what the fuck.

I am trying to do the first Knightfall Protocol and have the needed 12/14 for it, I pick it and hear Batman say a line about the GCPD rendezous but the game keeps giving me a prompt to select a mission. Since this isn't a part of the wheel and is a button I hit, that obviously doesn't do anything, but I have no ingame marker. I looked up a video and went to the right spot anyway but it's not doing anything, I have no button prompt. The hell?

I'm in the exact same boat right now. Hope we get an answer.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
maybe it's because I was playing on Hard, but I could have sworn you needed all 14 for the Knightfall ending.

Sober

My feelings on it started out with disliking it and then growing to love it over time, but by the end they just throw so many vehicles sections at you that I started to despise it.

I don't think the sections are bad, it's just not what I'm looking for and they overused it.
Basically:

- play the tank only AR challenges, especially the one that throws you in a tiny circle and has you at 1 hp and asks you to survive and kill as many tanks without dying

- then play the mixed Batmobile challenges that have you race across the map, stop and go into tank mode, and fight off like half a dozen or so drones, and then drive on and repeat - as fast as you can

It's night and goddamn day how much more fun the latter is. Having 4 dozen tanks come at you while you're stuck in a tight area for 3 to 5 minutes is not exactly the most fun until you just plain get better at it.

Zakalwe

Banned
Basically:

- play the tank only AR challenges, especially the one that throws you in a tiny circle and has you at 1 hp and asks you to survive and kill as many tanks without dying

- then play the mixed Batmobile challenges that have you race across the map, stop and go into tank mode, and fight off like half a dozen or so drones, and then drive on and repeat - as fast as you can

It's night and goddamn day how much more fun the latter is. Having 4 dozen tanks come at you while you're stuck in a tight area for 3 to 5 minutes is not exactly the most fun until you just plain get better at it.

They're both extremely fun.

I love literally everything about the Batmobile except the tank battles. I wouldn't even have minded them if they'd just cut down on the sheer, overwhelming number of them. No other style of Batmobile gameplay outstayed its welcome, but they made you do like twenty tank battles and then gave you another twenty as side missions. Shit's too much.

Every other style of gameplay in the game, from combat to stealth to puzzle-solving (including Batmobile puzzles) keeps evolving as the game goes on, giving you new abilities and throwing new, interesting challenges at you. Everything except tank battling, which is just the same shit over and over. Dodge the lines, shoot the drones, and maybe occasionally you'll get a special move that will clear out about seven of the fifty drones tanks you need to blow up.

Future

Playing new game plus I am breezing through the early tank missions. I think part of the problem is I doubt most people bother upgrading the skills on it. I know I didn't, and then was shocked on how many drones they started to throw at you. No one would expect that many drones haha

Now with a fat health bar, double evades, extra damage, drone hacking, and keeping special energy even when taking damage ... the sections are a bit more enjoyable now. Don't forget to zoom in with r3 to get critical shots to kill tank tasters

dreading the cobra missions, although I did get the upgrade that will make tanks look at where I fire the cannon. May make that easier too

Trouble

Banned
I don't know if it's been mentioned in here, but for the love of god listen the voicemail messages in the office in Wayne Tower.

Playing new game plus I am breezing through the early tank missions. I think part of the problem is I doubt most people bother upgrading the skills on it. I know I didn't, and then was shocked on how many drones they started to throw at you. No one would expect that many drones haha

Now with a fat health bar, double evades, extra damage, drone hacking, and keeping special energy even when taking damage ... the sections are a bit more enjoyable now. Don't forget to zoom in with r3 to get critical shots to kill tank tasters

dreading the cobra missions, although I did get the upgrade that will make tanks look at where I fire the cannon. May make that easier too

The Cobra missions fucking suck only because they all bunch up together most of the time and it's ridiculously hard to sneak up on one of them, wait to lock on, lock on, and then fire, without it or any of the other ones looking at you. I think if they got rid of requiring a lock on those sections would be so much better.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Ehh I finished the game and while I don't love the Batmobile I never really hated it either. The big tank battles like the ones that happened when you defused a mine were pretty good, imho, just the
Cobra
ones and the boss battles were quite annoying.
It was growing on me and I was starting to like it, but then that section towards the end when it was hop In the batmobile, drive down a tunnel and make some annoying loops (I know it's not hard, but I fucking hated it like no other, it was completely unnecessary. Seriously I hate that shit like no other), hop outta the tank and flip a switch,met back in the batmobile, fight 40 tanks, fight some Cobras and you know the rest. It's just mind boggling how the developers thought that was fun and well designed.

Another thing for me, is that I despise racing games because I can't play them very well. I just plain suck at doing sharp turns at fast speed, because I always always always end up facing the wrong direction and it costs me the race. I know people will tell me you gotta learn, but my instincts to not play that way are hard wired. Hence I don't play racing games, because I know they will frustrate me too much. I didn't want nor did I ask for that in my Batman game. Those things are minimal, but they are present.

The Arkham games are about kicking ass and stalking as Batman, not being a racing simulator.

Having said that I am not advocating that they should have removed the batmobile. I think they should have made it such that it's use was very straight forward and made them very easy such that they could be seen as a pleasant diversion.

It's late and have no clue if this makes any fucking sense.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm in the exact same boat right now. Hope we get an answer.

I fixed it-

I had to do more side missions and take in Deathstroke, Alfred talked to me after saying it was ready(even though I could initiate it beforehand). I can't imagine that was normal because I had to have 13 of 14 completed just to do that.

jediyoshi

Please tell me the redeeming qualities of Arkham Asylum once you beat the story.

Another thing for me, is that I despise racing games because I can't play them very well. I just plain suck at doing sharp turns at fast speed, because I always always always end up facing the wrong direction and it costs me the race. I know people will tell me you gotta learn, but my instincts to not play that way are hard wired. Hence I don't play racing games, because I know they will frustrate me too much. I didn't want nor did I ask for that in my Batman game. Those things are minimal, but they are present.

Ironically because of the ability to strafe, stop on a dime, turn in place, or instantly reorient your heading, this is the least like driving an actual video game car you could get while having four wheels.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I don't know if it's been mentioned in here, but for the love of god listen the voicemail messages in the office in Wayne Tower.
I did listen to all of them and don't know why you feel that listening to them is of the "for the love of God" quality. I know what message you're talking about, but I think you're hyping it up a little too much.

It was growing on me and I was starting to like it, but then that section towards the end when it was hop In the batmobile, drive down a tunnel and make some annoying loops (I know it's not hard, but I fucking hated it like no other, it was completely unnecessary. Seriously I hate that shit like no other), hop outta the tank and flip a switch,met back in the batmobile, fight 40 tanks, fight some Cobras and you know the rest. It's just mind boggling how the developers thought that was fun and well designed.

There are quite a few sections like that. It feels like a lot of the time you're just finding ways to lug the Batmobile around with you, and they don't often do anything to justify its presence beyond there being a lot of long tunnels that would be a pain to run all the way down (and, of course, endless drones everywhere).

I generally enjoyed most of the ways it was used in puzzles, but you've just reminded me of all those times where you're driving down a tunnel and you come to a locked gate, forcing you to get out, sneak through a vent or something to get to the other side, open the gate and then just get back in and keep driving.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Please tell me the redeeming qualities of Arkham Asylum once you beat the story.

Ironically because of the ability to strafe, stop on a dime, turn in place, or instantly reorient your heading, this is the least like driving an actual video game car you could get while having four wheels.
That was my point. I suck at that stuff. I can usually do it when done individually, but when it gets chaotic I panic and can't overcome the instinct to take my finger off the gas.

Life sucks man.

I did listen to all of them and don't know why you feel that listening to them is of the "for the love of God" quality. I know what message you're talking about, but I think you're hyping it up a little too much.

Not the guy you're replying to, but I
freaked the fuck out at Lex Luthor.

Edit: Penguin missions are also pretty awesome, if only because the GOAT Nightwing is in them.

Sober

There are quite a few sections like that. It feels like a lot of the time you're just finding ways to lug the Batmobile around with you, and they don't often do anything to justify its presence beyond there being a lot of long tunnels that would be a pain to run all the way down (and, of course, endless drones everywhere).

I generally enjoyed most of the ways it was used in puzzles, but you've just reminded me of all those times where you're driving down a tunnel and you come to a locked gate, forcing you to get out, sneak through a vent or something to get to the other side, open the gate and then just get back in and keep driving.
Yeah I think the subway/sewer mini-dungeons really soured me and probably others on the Batmobile. Those aren't so great. The Batmobile is much more enjoyable when it's being used to do riddler stuff (some of it is pretty smart stuff, others meh) or the challenges where you're kinda forced to basically 'get gud'.

Balphon

I feel like I'm about halfway through this game and my main takeaway so far is that Scarecrow makes for an awful main villain.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
When do you acquire the
glue grenades
? I'm like 85-90% done with everything...

Successfully got Two Face and Firefly behind bars, almost at 50% completion overall, a successful night in Gotham.

I'm curious when I get to run into
Manbat
again because I want to finish that story arc. Storyline wise, I just
got the Batmobile into Founders island.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the story today and thought it was ok overall. I'm going to kill the designer that thought that last tank battle was a good idea. I had to switch the game to easy so I could actually finish it. The only difference I saw is that it let you restart right
at the cloud burst tank and not have to blow up those 7 mega tanks.
After trying it for 2 hours on normal, I almost threw my controller through the TV before switching to easy.

The other issue I have with the tank battles in general is the other dumbass idea to pull the camera waaaay out when you're getting target locked or doing a big jump thus fucking all control you have and making you crash. WTF were they thinking on that one????

Now it's time to finish up all the stuff I didn't do. 130 more Riddler trophies left among some last remaining firefighters and roadblocks... Speaking of the roadblocks, how the hell do you beat the ones that have the 2 big turrets in them? You can only disable one at a time and since they swivel 360, you can't jump in there and take out the guys. Am I missing something?

quesalupa

Damn you guys really had that much trouble with the
cloudburst tank?
I dont really consider myself to be a great game player and I didn't really feel a big difficulty jump with that. Maybe I'm just a natural with that stuff.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Weird bug:
Deacon Blackfire and Jack Ryder are back in the cage as if doing the ritual again. Just sitting there, perfectly still.

There's a riddle question mark seemingly right in the middle of the base of the Lady of Gotham statue... I'm baffled as to how to get to it.

Now it's time to finish up all the stuff I didn't do. 130 more Riddler trophies left among some last remaining firefighters and roadblocks... Speaking of the roadblocks, how the hell do you beat the ones that have the 2 big turrets in them? You can only disable one at a time and since they swivel 360, you can't jump in there and take out the guys. Am I missing something?
You can upgrade the disruptor to sabotage drones.

Grexeno

There's a riddle question mark seemingly right in the middle of the base of the Lady of Gotham statue... I'm baffled as to how to get to it.
There's a breakable wooden wall on the back of the statue. You just have to glide into it.

Top Bottom