• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

I felt the Arkham Knight story fell flat and was pushed aside in favor of the Scarecrow. No decent lead up explaining why he turned on Scarecrow at the end.
I'm hoping for a story dlc to fill in the blanks.

When you get all the trophies in Miagani's island you get tapes of Scarecrow talking with Arkham's Knight. That explains it.

I'm pretty sure I saw some had perfected this game like two days ago. How on earth did they managed that considering there is a New Game Plus achievement?!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
After three games, I'm so fucking tired of Riddler.

E the Shaggy

I am paraphrasing but
Joker explains that locking him up was a good call and that the Chief was on the verge of becoming a criminal no different than the rest. I guess beating the uest after the story removed Joker from sitting on the rail next to the cage's door.

Ehhhhhhhh
I don't know. First off you can't really trust the Joker on any of this stuff, but it didn't seem like the Chief was insane or anything. He just made a shitty decision to try to help his fellow firefighters.

Having all these crazies in a big open cell seems like a terrible idea, let alone putting a somewhat sane person in there.

Impulsor

After three games, I'm so fucking tired of Riddler.

I like the riddles and the batmobile trials and all that. Even the subquest stuff he has in this game.

I absolutely LOATHE the tophies though. I hate them with a passion. And more now than ever, knowing I need to get them all for the last ending... sigh

Pretty much perfected all of the combat moves... but is it me, or did they change the blade takedown? In previous games, I would hold back and tap the counter button to the rhythm of the blade swings, ending with the takedown. In AK it seems like that doesn't really work anymore, I now just hold back and triangle together and am able to dodge the attack but it rarely ends with the takedown. Anyone having success with it consistently?

The grind for 243 trophies is so annoying. I got to his final mission and he disappeared. Looked up that you need all the trophies to fight him. Like wtf.

I like the riddles and the batmobile trials and all that. Even the subquest stuff he has in this game.

I absolutely LOATHE the tophies though. I hate them with a passion. And more now than ever, knowing I need to get them all for the last ending... sigh

Then don't get them and just youtube the ending.

jacobeid

Banned

Wait...this game has multiple endings?

E the Shaggy

So what do you need to get the 2nd ending?

You need to finish all the "Most Wanted" stuff but that includes getting all the trophies as well to fight the Riddler?

Then the 3rd ending is just solving the Riddles/getting the breakables?

Pretty much perfected all of the combat moves... but is it me, or did they change the blade takedown? In previous games, I would hold back and tap the counter button to the rhythm of the blade swings, ending with the takedown. In AK it seems like that doesn't really work anymore, I now just hold back and triangle together and am able to dodge the attack but it rarely ends with the takedown. Anyone having success with it consistently?

That's an upgrade in this game.

The grind for 243 trophies is so annoying. I got to his final mission and he disappeared. Looked up that you need all the trophies to fight him. Like wtf.

Youtube is the answer, that's what I did, it's much more than 243 stuff. -_-
Besides, sometimes the riddler's thugs dissapear from the map or something like that, that was my trigger to go for Youtube.

Loving the game, but still absurd that batman "doesn't kill" when I've been running over thugs in the batmobile and pushing their faces into electrical boxes.

My "favorite" is the one where he grabs them, jumps like 10 feet in the air and slam dunks the guy into a light

So what do you need to get the 2nd ending?

You need to finish all the "Most Wanted" stuff but that includes getting all the trophies as well to fight the Riddler?

Then the 3rd ending is just solving the Riddles/getting the breakables?

No, you can left any Riddler's stuff related and still get the 2nd ending. You do need them for the 3rd part.

On Demand

Banned
About 5 hours in and I'm starting to enjoy the batmobile segments more than I was early on, it's fun for what it is. Still think they pop up too often and as a result the game feels unfocused compared to previous entries, when I think Batman I don't usually think tank minigame, racing or platforming through tight spaces with a car. But the game is definitely getting better the more it opens up, looking forward to more familiar characters showing up and seeing what they bring to the table.

There's alot more to come unfortunately.

Akai__

Don't know who translated these achievements, but how the heck does this happen:

German:
A Leap of Faith 5G
Complete 8 different jumps over 50 meters.

English:
A Leap of Faith 5G
Complete 8 different jumps over 100 meters.

And why the heck are achievements still in german, if my system language is english? So freaking annoying, as I have to deal with translation errors pretty often.

jacobeid

Banned
It's not like they are subtle about it in the game. If you cared for the Batman universe you will figure out his identity half way through.

Yup. I'm not even 1/3 of the way through the game and it's blatantly obvious that the Arkham Knight is
Jason Todd.

I just don't see who else it could be at this point. Very predictable for any Batman fan.

Its kind of an extended ending I think, each requirement threshold fullfilled will net you extra scenes at the end.

Cool, I'll have to check out the requirements for each ending after I complete the game.

I know, but I really want to get the plat trophy for this game lol

I won't go for the platinum but I'm doing the riddler's stuff, is just that I'm finding the locations of the trophies on youtube, I don't have the patience to find thugs, interrogate them, get some trophies, fin more thugs, get trophies, fin more thugs... enough.

E the Shaggy

Did anything ever come about from
Harley maybe being pregnant with Joker's kid? I seem to recall that there was something saying it was a screwed up test or something from City?

I most certainly will and then try collecting them afterwards, whenever I get bored I'll stop.

Its kind of an extended ending I think, each requirement threshold fullfilled will net you extra scenes at the end.

Seriously, the other ending is kind of meh. So don't put in a bunch of work doing something you don't like. I did enjoy going for the riddler trophies though.

Regginator

I preordered it from GMG and it's greyed out in the menu for me. I also redeemed both codes they sent me, the game itself and the season pass.

I redeemed a GTX 970 voucher and I haven't gotten the Harley Quinn DLC. I thought it was a regular pre-order bonus and not tied to the season pass?

edit: Apparently not eligible with the 970/980 redeems??

It's not like they are subtle about it in the game. If you cared for the Batman universe you will figure out his identity half way through.

Even way before launch. But I must admit that I thought it wouldn't be him any more after seeing the
Red Hood footage of his own story pack
. But after
Bruce started getting the Jason hallucinations
, it was a dead give away.

Seriously what the fuck?! I spent two hours last night trying to disarm the second to last bomb with the Batmobile(Founders I think) but I kept getting raped by a thousand missile tanks and flying drones. There are SO MANY and everyone of them has a fucking missile lock on me. Just when I though I finally was gonna beat it several times, here comes another wave! And its in an underground area so my manueverability is limited. I finally gave up and went to bed. Gameplay design like that frustrates me to no end. My batmobile weapons are almost all fully upgraded except for the extra damage. Guess I will come back after full upgrade.

Also I recorded a clip where Batman must have died and was descending to hell as he abstractly kept falling below the game world. I was afraid I'd have to restart the game, because everytime it reloaded, he would start falling again. It was really surreal..

SomTervo

Loving the game, but still absurd that batman "doesn't kill" when I've been running over thugs in the batmobile and pushing their faces into electrical boxes.

This animation is particularly hard to swallow. It's a fucking murderous move.

Although I guess, in-canon, Bats would know exactly the electrical charge the box would put out and that it's not enough to kill the guy. You can imagine a Miller-style thought-bubble explaining this.

But in-action it's still bloody brutal.

Seriously what the fuck?! I spent two hours last night trying to disarm the second to last bomb with the Batmobile(Founders I think) but I kept getting raped by a thousand missile tanks and flying drones. There are SO MANY and everyone of them has a fucking missile lock on me. Just when I though I finally was gonna beat it several times, here comes another wave! And its in an underground area so my manueverability is limited. I finally gave up and went to bed. Gameplay design like that frustrates me to no end. My batmobile weapons are almost all fully upgraded except for the extra damage. Guess I will come back after full upgrade.

Also I recorded a clip where Batman must have died and was descending to hell as he abstractly kept falling below the game world. I was afraid I'd have to restart the game, because everytime it reloaded, he would start falling again. It was really surreal..

Three protips:

1. Upgrade the batmobile fully, but save the armour upgrades
2. When you're about to die on a Tank Battle, upgrade the Batmobile armour by one upgrade. This will give you full Batmobile health on the spot.
3. When you're falling through the world, start swooping immediately. It's a bug that seems to happen if you repeatedly fail on something - the game starts failing to render the world properly for whatever reason.

Personally, I didn't find any of the Tank Battles too hard. And when I did, I thought it was pretty fun trying. Make sure to use the environment to your advantage. Sitting right in the middle of the firing lines is dangerous. Make sure to stay down narrower streets or behind cover.

How do I access the scarecrow nightmare missions? I redeemed my code but I can't find them in the menu.

And wow, the Harley DLC was so short. :/

Aim for the lights and the turrets, you can one shot them. Also use EMP and hack other drones to fight with you.

How do I access the scarecrow nightmare missions? I redeemed my code but I can't find them in the menu.

And wow, the Harley DLC was so short. :/

The are in the AR challenges, scroll all the way to the right.

Enough with the tank shit already Rocksteady!

Why they crafted a honed predator based game of cat and mouse early in the series with cool variety only to have the end game of their series basically just dodging and shooting waves of fucking drones I'll never know. The batmobile isn't even a batmobile at this point.

Asylum > Origins > City > Knight (only because of the tank battles, otherwise it would be better than City)
Finished the main story mission last night, and am at 87% completion, so I still have some work to do.

But I generally agree with this assessment. Arkham Knight is still a good game, but it's the weakest of the four, and overall a disappointing way to end the saga. Too much of what I'd consider "memorable gameplay moments" from the first three seems to be missing here to make room for more Batmobile. In theory, this isn't such a bad thing, but they never really found a way to make the Batmobile fun over the course of the game. Its best implementations were when you needed it to traverse an area, or to get Batman out of a tough spot -- as an additive to the existing gameplay, it worked fine. But the bulk of the Batmobile gameplay -- the tank combat -- just isn't that interesting. There were too many moments where I found myself yelling "this sucks!" at the TV.

I'll reserve final judgment on the storytelling until I hit 100%, but I found the way in which everything played out in the main quest to be very underwhelming for a multitude of reasons. It's almost the exact opposite direction of where I wanted to see them go with the story after Arkham City.

Blader

Thanks

For people who have finished the game + Heir to the Cowl:

Does
the choice you make with Azrael
at the end of the Heir to the Cowl mission affect the ending in any way? Do you unlock (or not unlock) one of the extra endings depending on
whether you have him kill Batman or just go his own way?

Thanks

For people who have finished the game:

Does
the choice you make with Azrael
at the end of the Heir to the Cowl mission affect the ending in any way? Do you unlock (or not unlock) one of the extra endings depending on
whether you have him kill Batman or just go his own way?

Fairly certain it affects nothing other than the ending to that side mission

Newman96

How is this guys? Been away for a week so haven't really read up a lot on it and thinking of picking it up. Played the first two and really enjoyed them to be fair.

After finshing the game I think I'm in this situation:

City=Knight > Asylum, Haven't played Origins. :S

Knight has the most wow moments and got me thrilled all the time but there's that infamous part of the game that I hated a lot, and the Arkham Knight sucks, not his story but him.

Top Bottom