• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Took a few days off of this game waiting for new PC patches to come out. I never had big performance issues to begin with, but have issues improved much since the game first released?

Hagi

I wish rain would come and go, thats it.
Batman doesnt exactly operate during the daytime

Bruce does though and limiting him to nighttime is stupid seeing as it would be the first things villains notice. Oh well better rob all the banks during the morning.

Bruce does though and limiting him to nighttime is stupid seeing as it would be the first things villains notice. Oh well better rob all the banks during the morning.

If they had daytime sequences, I would hope they're still rainy or atmospherically overcast. Have dusk/dawn lighting, like in Arkham Origins' Cold, Cold Heart.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I seriously have to ask if Rocksteady farmed out the combat to Montreal studio, because its just simply not as good this time around.

The combat is mostly fine, but it has some very (and I do mean very) frustrating things present that were not present in AA or AC, but were present in Arkham Origins and they are really starting to annoy me.

None of it is reaching MAJOR levels of frustration, but it just upsets me that after having such a perfect system in Arkham City that it would take a step back.

Here are some things I have noticed and I know a few others have noticed.

1. The camera. It seems to have a mind of its own and often gets far too close to Batman. Nothing is more frustrating than getting hit by an enemy you couldn't see in time to counter. This was a BIG problem in story mode of Arkham Origins (not so much in the combat challenges though). Yes, I am VERY much aware that you can adjust the camera during fights but because it was erratic at times I was often forced to do instant takedowns so I could adjust the camera during the i-frames.

2. Frequent inexplicable whiffing. This was another annoying issue that happened quite a bit. In that Batman would inexplicably break out of a combo despite having an enemy targeted to attack. I would go for a strike or a stun on an enemy, but occasionally Batman wouldn't strike the enemy, but would just attack the air and ruin the flow of a good combo.

3. Enemy strike targeting was off. What I am referring to that when you are in freeflow you have to point your control stick in the direction you want to strike and it will target that enemy (sometimes from very far away). Often though you have a group of enemies and you are at the mercy of whatever enemy the game decides to target. Unfortunately, Batman had a bad habit of targeting a brute and/or electrocuted enemy which would break the combo, despite the fact that the enemy you intended to target would have been vulnerable to a strike. This was VERY big issue during the Batman/Catwoman fights, where each person can only attack enemies of one color. I mean seriously, why the fuck did Batman target the ONE red enemy when there were 3 blue enemies in one area.

4. This is more of a personal thing, but IMO there is simply too much in those encounters. Between, the brutes, shielded brutes, electrocuted enemies, medics, and ninjas. It was a tad too much at times. The most common killer of combos was the charging thug. Yes, it was easy to avoid and really truly not a big, deal but the camera autotargeting onto them frequently confused me and I couldn't react quick enough. I have ADD and it certainly hurts those parts.

5. Again, I know I will probably be in the minority here, but I felt the enemies werent visually distinct enough and blended with the environment a tad too easily making it difficult to see who you were attacking.

6. The biggest thing was the removal of the batswarm. I don't need to say how helpful that was whenever you needed to readjust yourself and catch a breather. They replaced it with the useless weapon grab and attack.

With all that in mind, these weren't gamebreaking and I was still able to get through most encounters without too much difficulty, but did dampen my enthusiasm for enemy encounters.

However, one thing I didn't figure out until way later is that the game expects you to utilize far more of your gadgets. I didn't upgrade those until the story was almost over.
In AC, the gadgets had awesome powers once in freeflow focus mode (activated after 12X), but breaking freeflow focus mode was rarely worth it.

However in this game, you can use them after 5X, which made them far far far more useful. I suspect that was Rocksteadys justification for removing Batswarm and maybe in time I will appreciate them more.

However, I do feel that adjusting the camera so that it doesn't move so close to Batman would alleviate most (if not all of my frustration).

Seeing as this game takes place in Gotham itself and not a cordoned off area it would have been cool if the game was a bit more spread out with the evacuation taking place part ways in.

I suppose Rocksteady enjoys their one wacky night formula.

Zakalwe

Banned
I seriously have to ask if Rocksteady farmed out the combat to Montreal studio, because its just simply not as good this time around.

The combat is mostly fine, but it has some very (and I do mean very) frustrating things present that were not present in AA or AC, but were present in Arkham Origins and they are really starting to annoy me.

None of it is reaching MAJOR levels of frustration, but it just upsets me that after having such a perfect system in Arkham City that it would take a step back.

Here are some things I have noticed and I know a few others have noticed.

1. The camera. It seems to have a mind of its own and often gets far too close to Batman. Nothing is more frustrating than getting hit by an enemy you couldn't see in time to counter. This was a BIG problem in story mode of Arkham Origins (not so much in the combat challenges though). Yes, I am VERY much aware that you can adjust the camera during fights but because it was erratic at times I was often forced to do instant takedowns so I could adjust the camera during the i-frames.

2. Frequent inexplicable whiffing. This was another annoying issue that happened quite a bit. In that Batman would inexplicably break out of a combo despite having an enemy targeted to attack. I would go for a strike or a stun on an enemy, but occasionally Batman wouldn't strike the enemy, but would just attack the air and ruin the flow of a good combo.

3. Enemy strike targeting was off. What I am referring to that when you are in freeflow you have to point your control stick in the direction you want to strike and it will target that enemy (sometimes from very far away). Often though you have a group of enemies and you are at the mercy of whatever enemy the game decides to target. Unfortunately, Batman had a bad habit of targeting a brute and/or electrocuted enemy which would break the combo, despite the fact that the enemy you intended to target would have been vulnerable to a strike. This was VERY big issue during the Batman/Catwoman fights, where each person can only attack enemies of one color. I mean seriously, why the fuck did Batman target the ONE red enemy when there were 3 blue enemies in one area.

4. This is more of a personal thing, but IMO there is simply too much in those encounters. Between, the brutes, shielded brutes, electrocuted enemies, medics, and ninjas. It was a tad too much at times. The most common killer of combos was the charging thug. Yes, it was easy to avoid and really truly not a big, deal but the camera autotargeting onto them frequently confused me and I couldn't react quick enough. I have ADD and it certainly hurts those parts.

5. Again, I know I will probably be in the minority here, but I felt the enemies werent visually distinct enough and blended with the environment a tad too easily making it difficult to see who you were attacking.

6. The biggest thing was the removal of the batswarm. I don't need to say how helpful that was whenever you needed to readjust yourself and catch a breather. They replaced it with the useless weapon grab and attack.

With all that in mind, these weren't gamebreaking and I was still able to get through most encounters without too much difficulty, but did dampen my enthusiasm for enemy encounters.

However, one thing I didn't figure out until way later is that the game expects you to utilize far more of your gadgets. I didn't upgrade those until the story was almost over.
In AC, the gadgets had awesome powers once in freeflow focus mode (activated after 12X), but breaking freeflow focus mode was rarely worth it.

However in this game, you can use them after 5X, which made them far far far more useful. I suspect that was Rocksteadys justification for removing Batswarm and maybe in time I will appreciate them more.

However, I do feel that adjusting the camera so that it doesn't move so close to Batman would alleviate most (if not all of my frustration).

I agree with many of the points you made, but:

• The batswarm has been replaced by a pretty decent list of CC options, mostly the combo versions of quick gadget attacks.The REC specifically is a huge AOE stun.
  • Most fights give you the opportunity to scope them out and use your gadgets pre fight, the disrupter and the hacking device in particular. You can turn off stun batons, make medics knock themselves out, etc... it's not a perfect counter, but it definitely helps ease the larger groups.

The worst parts for me are the whiffing, the targeting and the camera. They don't happen often enough to kill enjoyment for me though, and I've found ways to help ensure they happen less often.

Cindro

I know Riddler progress carries over into NG+, but what about Riddler informants? If I interrogate everyone in my main file, will all of the Riddle locations still be marked on my map in NG+ or will I need to re-interrogate everyone again?

Tecnniqe

Banned
I know Riddler progress carries over into NG+, but what about Riddler informants? If I interrogate everyone in my main file, will all of the Riddle locations still be marked on my map in NG+ or will I need to re-interrogate everyone again?

Oh the 243 items carry over so we don't have to collect them again?

I wish rain would come and go, thats it.
Batman doesnt exactly operate during the daytime

batman-vs-bane.jpg

looks terrible but it does happen.

EDIT: sorry, changed it to a smaller pic

Tecnniqe

Banned
Yep. Any number collected in normal story mode will count in the NG+ file.

Electrical Charge. Evidence room in the GCPD building.

Awesome, so does this mean you can go straight and
take down the Riddler?
or do we need to
do the catwoman riddles again?

Akai__

Awesome, so does this mean you can go straight and
take down the Riddler?
or do we need to
do the catwoman riddles again?
You need to do the Catwoman quests. The riddles are a little different, like the real keys are not in the same position anymore.

---

Why can't I do the "Use 3 different gadget in one glide" thing? When I use the first gadget, everything stops working and the game doesn't accept my button inputs anymore and just Batman continues the glide kick.

MacBosse

I'm not that familiar with the comic books but damn, in this game it seems that god damned everyone knows that Batman is
Bruce Wayne ;)
... ? No secrets here.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It's always there, the game just reminds you to take it very late into the main quest.
I got lucky, it was like, one of the first things I grabbed at the beginning of the game. Still only at 12% All bleak island firefighters rescued.

The Line of Duty sidequest spoilers:

I love how Batman locks Chief Underhill up with a bunch of psychopaths.

i know very werid would have thought he'd
put him in a seperate cell like the riddler informant

also all side missions complete except riddlers stuff (his trials are done but not the trophies)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I agree with many of the points you made, but:

• The batswarm has been replaced by a pretty decent list of CC options, mostly the combo versions of quick gadget attacks.The REC specifically is a huge AOE stun.
  • Most fights give you the opportunity to scope them out and use your gadgets pre fight, the disrupter and the hacking device in particular. You can turn off stun batons, make medics knock themselves out, etc... it's not a perfect counter, but it definitely helps ease the larger groups.

The worst parts for me are the whiffing, the targeting and the camera. They don't happen often enough to kill enjoyment for me though, and I've found ways to help ensure they happen less often.
The camera is understandably probably a tad difficult to program, but this was pretty much never an issue an AC or AA. I can never recall an issue in AC (did happen in AO story mode) where this happened, but still they should adjust it during combat encounters so that it zooms out just a tad.

The whiffing though is absolutely inexcusable and is one of the most maddening and inexcusable bullshit I've seen so far. Just a moment ago after typing this, in one encounter I did a batclaw slam and batman whiffed on the follow up attack. ,

Although I find it happens far more often when trying to stun somebody.

Cindro

I spent a good 30 minutes last night gliding everywhere over the city looking for the second Heir to the Cowl mission and fourth Perfect Crime mission, to no avail. Grr. I have all of the drones and watchtowers taken out too, so the GCPD copters are in the sky... but they apparently only care about giving me bomb and firefighter locations.

Tempted to resort to a guide, but that would be a pretty un-Batman thing to do.

jediyoshi

I spent a good 30 minutes last night gliding everywhere over the city looking for the second Heir to the Cowl mission and fourth Perfect Crime mission, to no avail. Grr. I have all of the drones and watchtowers taken out too, so the GCPD copters are in the sky... but they apparently only care about giving me bomb and firefighter locations.

Tempted to resort to a guide, but that would be a pretty un-Batman thing to do.

I'd go for a guide for the azrael stuff. I'm not sure if it's a hitch with the PC ver, but you have to be fairly close for the burning bat symbol to pop up at all, otherwise you won't see it at a distance

Ferrio

Banned
How do you stop the charging guys? I know there's a way to interrupt them (charge at them yourself?) but I've always just jumped over their asses.

Ephemeris

I've played this game for many hours, 85% completion and I've only JUST NOW activated my countermeasures for the first time.

hbkdx12

I've played this game for many hours, 85% completion and I've only JUST NOW activated my countermeasures for the first time.

I randomly stumbled across this one time while i was standing on a rooftop and looked toward my batmobile and i saw the prompt.

It's probably one of the best lil surprises that i've encountered so far in the game.

hbkdx12

I'm not that familiar with the comic books but damn, in this game it seems that god damned everyone knows that Batman is
Bruce Wayne ;)
... ? No secrets here.

One of the main story arcs in City revolves around this and how catastrophic it'll be if it ever gets out and it pissed me off that the game pretty much goes no where with it.

I didn't like the dual story element of City and i'm not happy to see it again in Knight but i'll willing to see how it plays out

Jito

Banned
Well great game and all but, (ending spoilers)
I've captured all villains but the Riddler and now I need to get every Riddler trophy to get the true ending?! Such bullshit!

Bruce Wayne ;)
... ? No secrets here.

Lots of people do in the comics, especially over the 75+ years. I think in most cases the secret identity of a superhero is known by a lot of people but somehow not the general public.

Akai__

my blunt trauma trophy is glitched :( did them all and over and over again but no trophy,last one i needed

I'm assuming you did them on a challenge map? If so, you have to get a checkpoint after you have done 1 or several takedowns. It's not enough to do the move and then restart or quit the challenge. You will hit a checkpoint after you died or completed the challenge.

Top Bottom