• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

I'm trying to get the 100% ending. Can someone tell me if the point of no return in the main mission is obvious?

The biggest obstacle is gatheringa all the riddler trophies. I think I'm about 70% done with those.

Also, I've done all the checkpoint, towers, and disarm bomb missions, but for some reason they say they are only 80% and 60% done and have an orange cross through them? I want to
fight Deathstroke.
How do I do that?

I'm at the part where
you find out Barbara is still alive and Gordon gets taken by Scarecrow. Current mission is to stop my servers from being destroyed.
Please no spoilers past that point.

Thanks.
There's no point of no return. The game lets you explore afterwards.

Point of no return is after that. As for side missions, unless all WayneTech points have been earned, there are more to find. Once all WT points have been earned (so that the remaining ones are worth 3 points) then you are ready for the boss fight and will be notified by the respective character.

I'm trying to get the 100% ending. Can someone tell me if the point of no return in the main mission is obvious?

The biggest obstacle is gathering all the riddler trophies. I think I'm about 70% done with those.

Also, I've done all the checkpoint, towers, and disarm bomb missions, but for some reason they say they are only 80% and 60% done and have an orange cross through them? I want to
fight Deathstroke.
How do I do that?

I'm at the part where
you find out Barbara is still alive and Gordon gets taken by Scarecrow. Current mission is to stop my servers from being destroyed.
Please no spoilers past that point.

Thanks.

That's because new towers and mines will be deployed later as you progress on the main quest. I've done 100% to get the full ending and my take on this was cleaning up everything when I got 95% on the main story.

Oh, and point of no return on the main story is a bit after. I'm considering point of no return the momment when you can't go back to free roaming and have to finish the story.

Sajjaja

How long does it take to 100% the riddler part? I just
freed Catwoman and had that little fight with him before he went under ground.
I didn't search for any trophies or do many of the riddles.
Do riddlescount toward the 100% ending?

Yeah. And it's a bit time consuming. There are 243 riddler collectibles (trophies, breakable things, riddles and bomb rigged thugs) in the three islands, plus the airships, movie studios and
Arkham Knight HQ

KyleCross

Sadly, yes... yes they do. You gotta get 100% Completion to get the True Ending.

Btw, Angry Joe's review said some trophies can be missed and can only be gotten during a specific time in the game? Is this true or just Angry Joe being wrong about something like usual? I'd like to know as I have beaten the main story but haven't gotten a single trophy and I'll only do them for the true ending, but if I have been locked out from some then I can't.

Sadly, yes... yes they do. You gotta get 100% Completion to get the True Ending.

Btw, Angry Joe's review said some trophies can be missed and can only be gotten during a specific time in the game? Is this true or just Angry Joe being wrong about something like usual? I'd like to know as I have beaten the main story but haven't gotten a single trophy and I'll only do them for the true ending, but if I have been locked out from some then I can't.

No, he is wrong. Some riddler collectibles are avaiable only after some specific points on the story, but none of them are missable.

KyleCross

No, he is wrong. Some riddler collectibles are avaiable only after some specific points on the story, but none of them are missable.

Thank Christ. Like I said, I was really skeptical with it being AJ but just wanted to be sure. Didn't want to spend all that time for nothing. Thanks.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
So why did AJ give this a 6? Don't want to watch his review yet because of spoilers.

GeoGonzo

About the fight that everyone finds disappointing, one thing to keep in mind... like in pretty much every AAA game (except Witcher 3) there's a vast difference in production values between a main mission and a secondary quest. Would it have been nice to have fight
one on one against Deathstroke
? Absolutely. But keep in mind his real role in this game (engame spoilers):
he's only there to replace the defeated Arkham Knight. He's almost an easter egg.
Remember that to fight him you need to
clear all the mines, all the towers and all the roadblocks
, and imagine what percentage of players will actually do that (5%?). We were expecting a centerpiece scene from a different game, instead of an end to a sidequest (think how almost every sidequest in Arkham City ends).

KyleCross

So why did AJ give this a 6? Don't want to watch his review yet because of spoilers.

He only played the game on PC, he says the shit he went through might've caused the game to be less enjoyable for him. But he then went on to say the 6/10 is what he gives the game on console, giving the PC version a 4/10.

His other complaints echos most peoples; Batmobile is overused and the core gameplay involving it is not great. Series fatigue. The game not really living up to being a "finale." The Arkham Knight twist being super predictable and lazy. He also briefly took issue with the full ending being locked behind Riddler trophies, but this was basically a footnote.

Probably the harshest thing he said was that
the Joker
was the only reason to play the game.

I loved the
Joker
as an imaginary friend.

I would love to see a new Batman series with
Joker
on it.

Sadly, Rocksteady will probably try new stuff.

I think I may have screwed up my save file. I'm at 17%, 34% on the main mission. My objective is to
follow the weapons truck to locate Penguin's secret hideout.

Trouble is, I didn't
actually attempt to enter the hideout upon reaching it,
opting for a sidequest instead. Now I have no waypoint and no idea how to get there.

Is my game salvageable? Can anyone point me to this location on the map?

I think I may have screwed up my save file. I'm at 17%, 34% on the main mission. My objective is to
follow the weapons truck to locate Penguin's secret hideout.

Trouble is, I didn't
actually attempt to enter the hideout upon reaching it,
opting for a sidequest instead. Now I have no waypoint and no idea how to get there.

Is my game salvageable? Can anyone point me to this location on the map?

Hit the mission selection menu, choose the main story and the waypoint will appear on your screen and compass.

Sojgat

I am genuinely curious, why do some people foster such a die hard love for origins. I played and enjoyed it for what it was, but it seemed like it could have been DLC for City almost. What am I not getting about the game?

Riddler stuff isn't as good, but It does everything else better than the previous games:

Story - Somehow the Assassins Creed writers came up with a better Batman tale than Paul Dini could after two attempts. I guess they just had more experience with writing for the medium. Closer in tone to the comics and animated series (they actually fix/retcon Rocksteady's awful take on Bane), more interesting characterisation, and full of memorable moments. The Red Hood flashback sequence where Joker meets Harley is the absolute highlight of the series for me.

Combat
- Greater enemy variety, OP REC gun removed, no attack cancel into counter, more aggressive enemies, and boss fights that actually fully utilize the combat mechanics.

Boss Fights - This game has them, and they all range from good to great. Playing through on NG+ even enhances some of the early game encounters in unexpected ways. Deathstroke, Copperhead, and the first Bane fight are all amazing. Even side mission bosses like Shiva and Deadshot are more accomplished than any of the boss fights from the Rocksteady games (Mr. Freeze is more of a predator puzzle than a fight).

Stealth - Harder predator rooms that encourage more varied play late game. Remote Claw allows for more creative approaches rather than trivializing stealth encounters as some claim.

Art Design - The snow covered exterior city environments are kind of bland, but interior locations are all among the best in the series (The Royal Hotel actually is the best, both in terms aesthetic and from a gameplay standpoint), and the character designs are fantastic. Origins Batman is one of my all-time favourite Batman designs.

Voice Acting - Kevin Conroy is the definitive Batman, but his performance has been off in all of the Rocksteady games. On the other hand, Roger Craig Smith is great as a younger, angrier Batman. Michael Gough is the series' best Gordon, and Troy Baker is as good a Mark Hamill stand-in as you could ever hope for. His Joker may largely be impersonation, but he completely nails it.

Hell, even the music is better. Christopher Drake's score is amazing. Joker's theme is the most ominous rendition of Carol of the Bells I've ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvkmgi5VjOg

Don't even get me started on Cold, Cold Heart. I love Arkham Knight, but Origins DLC alone is superior.

Nope. I'm not getting a waypoint anywhere when I select the main mission. I fear I may have encountered a bug.

Hummm... search for the
Penguin
side quest on the mission selection menu.

If it isn't there, the
Penguin hideout is in front of a vertical parking lot
on Miagani Island. It has a big neon sign on it, hard to miss.

Zakalwe

Banned
Riddler stuff isn't as good, but It does everything else better than the previous games:

Story - Somehow the Assassins Creed writers came up with a better Batman tale than Paul Dini could after two attempts. I guess they just had more experience with writing for the medium. Closer in tone to the comics and animated series (they actually fix/retcon Rocksteady's awful take on Bane), more interesting characterisation, and full of memorable moments. The Red Hood flashback sequence where Joker meets Harley is the absolute highlight of the series for me.

Combat
- Greater enemy variety, OP REC gun removed, no attack cancel into counter, more aggressive enemies, and boss fights that actually fully utilize the combat mechanics.

Boss Fights - This game has them, and they all range from good to great. Playing through on NG+ even enhances some of the early game encounters in unexpected ways. Deathstroke, Copperhead, and the first Bane fight are all amazing. Even side mission bosses like Shiva and Deadshot are more accomplished than any of the boss fights from the Rocksteady games (Mr. Freeze is more of a predator puzzle than a fight).

Stealth - Harder predator rooms that encourage more varied play late game. Remote Claw allows for more creative approaches rather than trivializing stealth encounters as some claim.

Art Design - The snow covered exterior city environments are kind of bland, but interior locations are all among the best in the series (The Royal Hotel actually is the best, both in terms aesthetic and from a gameplay standpoint), and the character designs are fantastic. Origins Batman is one of my all-time favourite Batman designs.

Voice Acting - Kevin Conroy is the definitive Batman, but his performance has been off in all of the Rocksteady games. On the other hand, Roger Craig Smith is great as a younger, angrier Batman. Michael Gough is the series' best Gordon, and Troy Baker is as good a Mark Hamill stand-in as you could ever hope for. His Joker may largely be impersonation, but he completely nails it.

Hell, even the music is better. Christopher Drake's score is amazing. Joker's theme is the most ominous rendition of Carol of the Bells I've ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvkmgi5VjOg

Don't even get me started Cold, Cold Heart. I love Arkham Knight, but Origins DLC alone is superior.

I have yet I play Origin, but the love this forum gives it makes me pretty excited.

The one thing I worry about is the lack of Batmobile. After becoming used to it as an integrated means of traversal, I know I'm going to miss it.

Hummm... search for the
Penguin
side quest on the mission selection menu.

If it isn't there, the
Penguin hideout is in front of a vertical parking lot
on Miagani Island. It has a big neon sign on it, hard to miss.

Thanks! I'll try both of these things.

edit: Just found it thanks to your directions. Got my waypoint back. Appreciate the help!

Travo

I am genuinely curious, why do some people foster such a die hard love for origins. I played and enjoyed it for what it was, but it seemed like it could have been DLC for City almost. What am I not getting about the game?

It's a very solid game. Sure, an argument can be made that it's more of the same but I think it's bosses are slightly better IMO.

LiK

I think if I wanted more Arkham, I'll check out Origins. Mixed reactions but at least it's not terrible from what I read.

LiK

Not at all terrible, pretty darn good, actually.

The Batgirl DLC is also made by WB Montreal so I'm thinking Origins fans will like that. Altho I'll wait for reviews. 100%ing Knight really burned me out with those Riddler trophies lol

Dispatch

The Batgirl DLC is also made by WB Montreal so I'm thinking Origins fans will like that. Altho I'll wait for reviews. 100%ing Knight really burned me out with those Riddler trophies lol

I could see the same thing happening with me, and I wanted to get back to Witcher 3, so I did something I've never done before.

I just looked up the ending on YouTube.

LiK

I could see the same thing happening with me, and I wanted to get back to Witcher 3, so I did something I've never done before.

I just looked up the ending on YouTube.

It was satisfying to take out Riddler and
his conversations with the other villains in lockup and the finality with Catwoman
was pretty great. But yea, having to basically revisit EVERY area in the game to collect everything was quite a chore. I could tell they did it to make people explore every nook and cranny of the world. There are some locations you would barely notice if you didn't go back to them. It definitely made me appreciate the level designs a lot more.

Thankfully, there were only a few puzzles that took reaction time skills to complete. Most were simple or brainteasers. I used a guide for all of them because I didn't have the patience to puzzle them out. I did the same for the previous games. It took me 4 extra evenings to find them all. I didn't wanna rush too hard.

lcap

So guys, I’ve finally figured out what was wrong with my Stagg Airship trophy.
It turns out there was a big bug in the box, but not the bug I thought I had. As I still needed 2 trophies on the airship to pick up, I thought the one I’m talking about was the trophy missing. So, I went to pick up the remaining trophies hoping that I had already picked the supposedly missing trophy.
Turns out I did! Well I remembered picking up a trophy near the airship a few days ago, but what’s strange for me is that the box was still there yesterday and I even
let it fall out of the airship
and I’m sure the trophy was inside, because I immediately fell to collect it.

LiK

So guys, I’ve finally figured out what was wrong with my Stagg Airship trophy.
It turns out there was a big bug in the box, but not the bug I thought I had. As I still needed 2 trophies on the airship to pick up, I thought the one I’m talking about was the trophy missing. So, I went to pick up the remaining trophies hoping that I had already picked the supposedly missing trophy.
Turns out I did! Well I remembered picking up a trophy near the airship a few days ago, but what’s strange for me is that the box was still there yesterday and I even
let it fall out of the airship
and I’m sure the trophy was inside, because I immediately fell to collect it.

Yea. That was a super tricky one. Devious, actually.

Haven't really played any of the other batman games but I will go back to them after playing this. All I've got left to do are the riddler collectibles (which I won't do because they are too time consuming) and the AR challenges. The game is great and I enjoyed driving the batmobile and most of the tank missions.

It doesn't take long to get all the Riddler trophies. If you don't want to use a guide just interrogate a bunch of informants until all of the things are on your map. Having a guide is pretty nice though. City's Riddler stuff was a lot worse I thought.

And the Riddler fight isn't a Batmobile one!!!

LiK

It doesn't take long to get all the Riddler trophies. If you don't want to use a guide just interrogate a bunch of informants until all of the things are on your map. Having a guide is pretty nice though. City's Riddler stuff was a lot worse I thought.

City Riddler trophies were way worse cuz I remember certain areas were a pain in the ass to backtrack through. Knight was definitely more straightforward and less maze-like.

There were only 3-4 instances of it, but what really burned me out was trying to find really small riddle answers in an entire city block, stuff like posters or graffiti. I'd have preferred if the only Riddler trophies were the ones with (spatial or logical) puzzles tied to them, stuff like the movie posters or the sliding wall/car winch ones.

That said, I actually enjoyed all the side missions more than the ones in Arkham City (which I still enjoyed), except for the Riddler's in AK as I thought AC's was better structured overall. The Zsasz stuff ended okay, but up until then it was just racing from one point to another. Deadshot was just following a bullet trail (which you somehow didn't even need to scan two points of impact for a few times) and "the watcher" was just finding him in various places.

AK's side missions are still "just" one thing repeated, but most of them are essentially themed challenge maps that make more use of the core gameplay. The checkpoints/towers are combat and predator challenge maps that let you plan out an attack. Same with the bank robberies which have the great "alarm covers sound of takedowns" twist and more interesting dialogue for
Two-Face
than he got in City. Same with Azrael. The only side missions I was disappointed by were the fires and the creature ones, though even just some kind of midair QTE for one of the "rounds" would've mixed things up enough for me.

City Riddler trophies were way worse cuz I remember certain areas were a pain in the ass to backtrack through. Knight was definitely more straightforward and less maze-like.

I found AK to be more of a pain because I couldn't remember how to get back into the underground base. All the other interiors in City were pretty straightforward and the trophies weren't often floating outside the map. I've played that game a lot though, so I probably just have the environments memorized.

It's just tedious to get 243 of them. I only have around 30 at the moment.

LiK

Some of them are really close to each other. Most are just picked up at some random location. It actually goes by pretty quickly if you use a guide. Also interrogating Riddler guys to expose them all in the map makes it even easier. I just cleared out one island a night and that was the right amount of time.

I found AK to be more of a pain because I couldn't remember how to get back into the underground base. All the other interiors in City were pretty straightforward and the trophies weren't often floating outside the map. I've played that game a lot though, so I probably just have the environments memorized.

Just set a waypoint on the map.

Riddler stuff is overdone in Arkham Knight, but it's better implemented than it was in Arkham City. Some puzzles on that game were miserably put together.

Some of them are really close to each other. Most are just picked up at some random location. It actually goes by pretty quickly if you use a guide. Also interrogating Riddler guys to expose them all in the map makes it even easier. I just cleared out one island a night and that was the right amount of time.

Fair point. I'll end up doing it because I can't stand that it's not 100%.

slop101

Banned
Almost 3 weeks after release, seems like the complaints and/or disappointments with this game have taken over the praise for it. How almost none of these issues that people legitimately have with the game were brought up in all those reviews that were published when the game first came out?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Eh. It's only tedious to traverse back to old areas. The game does a better job than prior batman games of not forcing you to re-do many of the progression puzzles in these 'interior' zones, due to shortcuts being exposed from the aftermath of your first visit or whatnot. though I get annoyed when a missing trophy is just sitting on a desk instead of supplying me with an elaborate puzzle to solve.

So many of the trophies feature some nifty gadget or physics puzzle, that I -much-prefer solving over a slew of remixed combat/predator AR challenges that for some ungodly reason people bitch about not having enough of.

Almost 3 weeks after release, seems like the complaints and/or disappointments with this game have taken over the praise for it. How almost none of these issues that people legitimately have with the game were brought up in all those reviews that were published when the game first came out?

The Gamespot review hit all the main criticisms but I believe that was the only one, at least from any major websites.

Zakalwe

Banned

They haven't. The divide now is the same as it was at the start, it's been a divisive game since day one (mainly because of the Batmobile).

The reason most reviews didn't list the criticisms is simply because the reviewers didn't think they were issues. I don't agree with the problems Gamespot lists, for example, and I think the Batmobile is perfectly integrated and its use (including tank battles) is well paced.

It's just different opinions.

One group is just naturally more vocal then the other, think about it, if you don't like something and it keeps occurring (batmobile combat) then you're more inclined to discuss it on forums.

LiK

Par for the course with AAA games. Witcher 3 had its fair share of criticisms altho CDPR has been patching the shit outta it.

Alienous

Look at the reviews for MGS4.

It's hard to review the actual game and not your expectation of it because of the series it's in.

I gotta brag: I just 100% Arkham City! I've now 100% every Rocksteady game. City was DEFINITELY the hardest to 100%, with Asylum being the next hardest, and Knight being the easiest (but the most fun).

Should I attempt to 100% Origins? All signs point to NO.

I really liked Origins personally. For me it goes back and forth between Origins and City for which Arkham game I like best. It's definitely a better game than Knight, that's for damn sure.

Top Bottom