• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

KevinCow

Banned
Nobody probably cares about my opinions, but I feel like writing out what I think about the series and what the pros and cons of each game are to try to help me figure out which game I like best.

Asylum

+ Best interior level design
+ Scarecrow segments are still great

- Really basic combat that's hard to go back to
- Same with stealth
- Same with traversal; unrefined glide with no divebomb
- No open world to explore; Arkham Asylum's "hub" is really boring
- Riddler trophies have no puzzles attached to them; they're pretty much just a matter of, "Do you have the key to collect this trophy yet?"
- No sidequests besides the Riddler trophies
- Killer Croc completely ruins the pacing of the game; I've ended multiple playthroughs at his part just because I hate it so much

City

+ Decent boss battles, between Freeze, Ra's, and Clayface
+ The most memorable open world; large enough for it to be fun to glide around in, but small enough to remember where things are

- Obnoxious number of Riddler trophies... but at least many of them have some sort of puzzle to collect them
- Guys with guns make exploring in the post-game a pain

~ I'm not really sure what else to say about City. It's no longer really the best at anything, but it doesn't have any glaring flaws either.

Origins

+ Arguably the best boss battles, between Deathstroke, Copperhead, Firefly, and Bane
+ The detective stuff where you rewound the crime scene to find clues was neat

- Easily the buggiest and least polished game in the series
- Guys with guns make exploring in the post-game a pain
- Enigma data packs don't really have puzzles attached to them or anything; definitely the least interesting Riddler sidequest
- Probably the least interesting sidequests outside of Asylum
- Locked vital upgrades like Critical Strikes and Disarm and Destroy behind sidequests that didn't come until later in the game
- The upgrade system locked upgrades I wanted behind upgrades I didn't want for no real reason

Knight

+ The best combat so far, with better super gadgets and nice additions like the Critical Beatdown
+ The best stealth so far, especially with the Fear Multi-Takedown
+ Traversal is more fun than ever between the Batmobile, the super eject, and the super duper grapnel boost
+ The Batmobile can be fun
+ The best puzzles in the series
+ Some of the best sidequests in the series
+ A more reasonable number of Riddler trophies than City, and many of them are hidden behind decent puzzles or challenges
+ No goddamn respawning rooftop snipers to deal with in the postgame

- While the Batmobile can be fun, it can also be annoying, and there's definitely too much of it
- Not enough interior areas
- Disappointing endings to most sidequests
- Almost complete lack of proper boss battles
- Lack of a proper challenge mode
- Not enough upgrade points to fully upgrade everything with one playthrough

So with all that written out... I'm still not sure what to think. Knight has the most positives, but also a bunch of negatives. City doesn't have many negatives, but also doesn't have many positives. Hmm... I suppose if you'd asked me before I wrote all this out, I'd have said City was my favorite. But looking at this, I feel like I have to say Knight is my favorite. It does enough things best to make up for the things that were disappointing.

cormack12

Gold Member
80% on main story now, I'm cleaning up some of the firemen side quest - there's one that directs me to a ledge and says he's being moved at ground level. I stick on detective mode but can't see any clusters of enemies - any clues? Think it's near Reaker heights.

Nobody probably cares about my opinions, but I feel like writing out what I think about the series and what the pros and cons of each game are to try to help me figure out which game I like best.

So with all that written out... I'm still not sure what to think. Knight has the most positives, but also a bunch of negatives. City doesn't have many negatives, but also doesn't have many positives. Hmm... I suppose if you'd asked me before I wrote all this out, I'd have said City was my favorite. But looking at this, I feel like I have to say Knight is my favorite. It does enough things best to make up for the things that were disappointing.

Sounds reasonable. I appreciate comprehensively laying and comparing aspects of each game.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

Totally agree with everything you said. I feel that if AK didn't drop the boss battles and the challenge maps it would have been the best of the bunch. It's beyond me why they would remove two features that were extremely well received in the two previous games.

Maybe the DLC will balance that out but it's unacceptable to pay for features that were part of the package in the previous games

Grexeno

Totally agree with everything you said. I feel that if AK didn't drop the boss battles and the challenge maps it would have been the best of the bunch. It's beyond me why they would remove two features that were extremely well received in the two previous games.

Maybe the DLC will balance that out but it's unacceptable to pay for features that were part of the package in the previous games
Arkham Asylum's boss fights were almost universally derided.

GravyButt

80% on main story now, I'm cleaning up some of the firemen side quest - there's one that directs me to a ledge and says he's being moved at ground level. I stick on detective mode but can't see any clusters of enemies - any clues? Think it's near Reaker heights.

Hmm is that the one where you got to use a man hole cover to get down? I really can't remember to be honest.

I just finished last night (still have to do some more Most Wanted stuff) and I thought the game overall was probably my second favorite in the series. So close to the top (Asylum for me) but a few small pitfalls:

I thought the Batmobile was sweet the majority of the time, except for the fight against the Cloudburst Tank which nearly made me ragequit. Super slow "fight," and getting caught on little pieces of level geometry just to almost instantly die (my Batmobile had 1 armor upgrade) was ridiculous.I also hated if I tried to flee how the camera would pull back since it felt impossible to precisely control the car at that point.

And then the final two "boss battles" after that were both just as lame. Nothing about any of them seemed well thought out. I loved the battles in the other 3 games but there's not a single one here that I enjoyed.

Great story and atmosphere though (even if they didn't create a new Batman character as they bragged, really) and probably the most compelling open world game I've played in a while in terms of doing side stuff. I actually want to do it in this game as opposed to every UbiSoft game.

Renae

I agree with you about Asylum. Maybe it's because I played AA it in 2011, but for me City is much better than Asylum, which I just found "good".

AsfaeksBR

Just beat C
loudburst
HOLY HELL, THIS WAS HARD.

It was going really well
hunting the tanks, waitng for them to be separated from the group and anihilating them, and doing the same with the Cloudburst.
But it all goes downhill when you have to
escape the Cloudburst shots, because the camera gets crazy and shaky and wonky. Really, escaping was the hardest thing in the entire game so far.

80% through the story, can't wait to see the end. This game is so good!

KevinCow

Banned
Looking at my last post again, it occurs to me that it sounds like I didn't like Asylum or Origins because I listed so many negatives and not many positives. So I just want to clarify: I LOVE this series. While I think Asylum is the weakest, I still think it's one of the best games of last gen.

Draconian

Yeah, this "puzzle" with the magnetic blocks in the blimp is the exact kind of stuff in this series that I despise. Not fun in the slightest. Good thing it's short though.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Any idea why I can't start this Riddler trophy?

ESVJZWX.jpg

Is that the one that you have to slide out pf the ship? If so, I had where it wouldn't work until I went through another doorway and back again.

Nope, had no problem with that one.

Any idea why I can't start this Riddler trophy?

If that's the one I think it is with the
Riddler's robot inside
, not until you get pass the main story point where
Harley breaks into Panessa Studios

I went back to play City to clean up the last of the Riddler trophies left over after detaining Riddler, and as much shit as I used to give AC for it's Riddler trophies, most of them are actually cleverly contained and more or less straightforward.

I'm finding that the more I play of Arkham Knight, the more appreciation I gain for Arkham City. I think I'd even be comfortable saying City is my personal favorite now (and this is coming from someone that's always preferred Asylum). Messy plot aside, it balances gameplay mechanics, side content and overall fanservice far better than any other entry in the series.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Nope, had no problem with that one.

If that's the one I think it is with the
Riddler's robot inside
, not until you get pass the main story point where
Harley breaks into Panessa Studios

I already had it, haha. I'm such an idiot! I am missing one fucking trophy on Bleake island and I don't know where it is!!!

In the Predator AR challenges (aside from the bank heist one) the timer doesn't start until you get seen (and only out in the open by a human as far as I can tell) or knock an enemy out now. Is this a bug? This is what happens for everybody else, not just me right? This messes with the idea of time trials so much that I can't believe it was a conscious design decision.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
About the fight that everyone finds disappointing, one thing to keep in mind... like in pretty much every AAA game (except Witcher 3) there's a vast difference in production values between a main mission and a secondary quest. Would it have been nice to have fight
one on one against Deathstroke
? Absolutely. But keep in mind his real role in this game (engame spoilers):
he's only there to replace the defeated Arkham Knight. He's almost an easter egg.
Remember that to fight him you need to
clear all the mines, all the towers and all the roadblocks
, and imagine what percentage of players will actually do that (5%?). We were expecting a centerpiece scene from a different game, instead of an end to a sidequest (think how almost every sidequest in Arkham City ends).

Not an excuse to be honest. I should not rethink my criticisms toward the game just because of expectations. What they did to in some aspects of the game is a disservice to the characters.

Did anyone else get the glitch where Oracle disappeared when
you take her into the GCPD
?

I have a video of it I could share. There's one inadvertently hilarious moment because of the glitch.

I had this on my first play through.
I thought the game was fucking with me and Batman had gone insane lol

Lmao, had the same and thought the same.

Not an excuse to be honest. I should not rethink my criticisms toward the game just because of expectations. What they did to in some aspects of the game is a disservice to the characters.

A good compromise would've been to have him leap majestically out of his tank just to get shot in the face by the Bat-Tank.

In the Predator AR challenges (aside from the bank heist one) the timer doesn't start until you get seen (and only out in the open by a human as far as I can tell) or knock an enemy out now. Is this a bug? This is what happens for everybody else, not just me right? This messes with the idea of time trials so much that I can't believe it was a conscious design decision.

Correct. I like the change as it rewards you for planning your attack.

KevinCow

Banned
Wait, there's not a trophy for buying every upgrade? Dammit, that's lame. I spent all this time doing sidequests on NG+ for nothing.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Now that I've finished Bloodborne (today) and The Witcher 3 (yesterday) it was finally time to get into Arkham Knight. I was really into it until the Ace Chemicals boss fight. Who knew I bought a shitty car combat game forced onto the Batman game I actually wanted. This shit was a terrible idea.

Now that I've finished Bloodborne (today) and The Witcher 3 (yesterday) it was finally time to get into Arkham Knight. I was really into it until the Ace Chemicals boss fight. Who knew I bought a shitty car combat game forced onto the Batman game I actually wanted. This shit was a terrible idea.

If you ignore all the other shit you were doing up until that four minute fight, and the dozen hours of the same stuff from the past few games, then yeah, it's Twisted Metal 2: Batman Edition

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
If you ignore all the other shit you were doing up until that four minute fight, and the dozen hours of the same stuff from the past few games, then yeah, it's Twisted Metal 2: Batman Edition

Its a fair point but I hate that the content that I want to play is now locked behind this broken game mechanic that isn't much fun.

And Twisted Metal 2 was far more responsive than the brokemobile.

oh jeez not this again you know what they mean.

Ah gawd not this again you know what I mean

Its a fair point but I hate that the content that I want to play is now locked behind this broken game mechanic that isn't much fun.

How's it broken? And that's not a smart-assed hypothetical question — I really want to hear what's problematic for you, specifically. There've been people who've warmed up to the tank gameplay in this thread after getting a hang of some stuff/getting specific upgrades. Maybe I can point you in the right direction

KevinCow

Banned

How is the Batmobile in any way broken or unresponsive? I can understand if you just don't enjoy using it, but it works perfectly fine.

Also, use the machine gun against the helicopter boss.

Up to the home stretch and other then the cloudburst tank battles I'm not seeing the 60 percent tank battles crap. Sure I still have a ton of mine side quests todo but even then it's only a small part of the actual game .

I actually wish there was more todo as the batmobile beyond and chases and firefly , I love flying through the streets crashing into everything .

Top Bottom