• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

I feel dumb, I don't really get the ending :/ Got the 100% one and I don't understand what is going on xD Ending spoilers:
I get that the explosion was likely a fake-out and they never actually died. Kinda weird to leave all that car and plane tech just outside though but I digress. But the true ending with demon batman was so weird. I don't remember how it looked in-game but the concept art has a red/burning bat logo on the chest piece. Does that mean that Red Hood is now some sort of supernatural batman? Batman Beyond?! It did look kinda similar to the Batman Begins fear toxin batman I guess. Has Rocksteady said anything about future dlc dealing with the aftermath or some such? I heard that the Red Hood preorder stuff is far post-ending.

It's
just an open ending. The current story is concluded, but that last bit is just a tease, I don't think Rocksteady have concrete plans for it going forward. It just shows there's a new Batman, and that maybe he's even using Scarecrow's toxin to instill fear. It's most likely this, because iirc that's how Scarecrow saw Batman when he got a taste of his own medicine.

Also don't forget that
the DLC for Robin, Nightwing, and Catwoman take place before and after the story so hopefully we gain some perspective on that ending. Also it's possible the Season of Infamy DLC takes place after so maybe it will wrap things up nicely.

Chitown B

A writer at Kotaku wrote an article not too long ago complaining about that exact part of the game and how it causes the game to suffer overall, then added on that they hadn't finished the story yet, so a lot of key details were missing.

I still don't understand how she was alive. Was it some other person? The one in the chair clearly killed themselves

GeoGonzo

When they tease
a melee fight with Deathstroke, but that turns out to be another tank battle, that makes those 3 questlines feel like even more of a chore.
I don't think they actually tease a melee fight, though? A melee fight is simply what one could reasonably assume if Batman and Deathstroke seem about to clash... But the game actually teases a tank battle since after clearing an explosive Deathstroke actually said "But are you ready to face my tank?" as one of his barks.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
So....75% into the game.
cloud burst just went off. I still have side quests to go. Am I screwed? Was that a point of no return?

Keep playing, no worries

I don't think they actually tease a melee fight, though? A melee fight is simply what one could reasonably assume if Batman and Deathstroke seem about to clash... But the game actually teases a tank battle since after clearing an explosive Deathstroke actually said "But are you ready to face my tank?" as one of his barks.

Yeah I know but it's what you come to expect after
the fight in Origins, and the positive fan reaction to that.

Ok thanks for the tips.

And just want to say, as much as I'm loving the game and love the
dialogue that the Joker provides I really wish he wasn't in this game at all. So frustrating.

Ok thanks for the tips.

dialogue that the Joker provides I really wish he wasn't in this game at all. So frustrating.
Before release, I thought the same, but that inclusion was done in the most interesting way possible, it gave a lot of the story bits much more impact than they would've had on their own.

Minamu

Got the Blunt Trauma achievement finally but the Leap of Faith one seems to be glitched. No matter what I do the percentage won't go up.
That's the car jumping, yes? I had to do all 16 jumps I saw in a video before it popped, and I redid most of them 2-3 times just to make sure I jumped far enough.

GravyButt

So wait do I need 9/14 side missions completed to get an ending? I hate all things joker related so im not touching that, sorry catwoman. Will things like apcs checkpoints bombs ect count instead?

SomTervo

Nobody probably cares about my opinions, but I feel like writing out what I think about the series and what the pros and cons of each game are to try to help me figure out which game I like best.

So with all that written out... I'm still not sure what to think. Knight has the most positives, but also a bunch of negatives. City doesn't have many negatives, but also doesn't have many positives. Hmm... I suppose if you'd asked me before I wrote all this out, I'd have said City was my favorite. But looking at this, I feel like I have to say Knight is my favorite. It does enough things best to make up for the things that were disappointing.

This is a great analysis, and I agree with it on all counts but one: Arkham Asylum definitely has some puzzles attached to its Riddler trophies. Not many, but they're there. For example aligning the question mark dot with the question mark splayed across the level. That was a great emergent puzzle that was a real 'click' moment for me. And a few of the riddles were pretty enjoyable.

Still, aside from that, I agree. Arkham Knight is definitely my favourite. I'm approaching 100% now for true ending, then onto NG+... I can't wait to do the game without counter signs and tougher encounters.

I think a Riddler puzzle may be bugged for me.

It's one of those woefully designed ones where you use the Batmobile's detective scanner to track questionmarks around the city. It's the one that starts on top of the big building on Bleake Island, where you have to drive over the glass roof all the way around and Batmobile-grapple a wall to get across.

Basically I followed the question marks all the way off the building, underground, through tunnels, out into a canal, then they went up the wall on the opposite side of the canal. I went up a nearby ramp to the street level, terrified I'd lose the questionmark and have to do all of it again, and sure enough, the questionmark trail disappeared. I went back to the top of the building (total pain in the arse) and found the trace-point – but now it's not active and I can't start the trace again. It's like the game marked it as 'complete' even though I never picked up the Riddler trophy at the end of the trail.

Wtf

This happened to me. Either get to a save point (by getting a different trophy or entering a building) or drive far away from the area and it should reset.

Okay thanks, I hope by going into a building to clear out other trophies it resets.

The real worry for me though is that there's no Riddler Icon on the world map anymore, where that one was. It's like the Riddler Trophy has entirely disappeared. I mean, dafuq.

Yeah, the fact those disappear make them too involving. There's one where you have to travel inside a monorail station to open a gate, then regain the trail, but there's almost no way to do that without having to start it over. Can't remember exactly where that is, but if you come across a gate, open it in advance in case it's that one.

Sheesh, I'll watch out for these.

This particular Riddler trophy design is like Arkham Origins level of jank and flawed design. I loved Origins, but I'd genuinely call this as bad as Origins' awful Worst Nightmare Ranking system design. It's like if you mess up you won't be able to complete this Riddler challenge, ever.

So wait do I need 9/14 side missions completed to get an ending? I hate all things joker related so im not touching that, sorry catwoman. Will things like apcs checkpoints bombs ect count instead?
There's only one villain tied to the three militia side missions.

People have frequently said the count is glitched and/or the number is how many more villains you have to capture. If it asks you get more than you're wanting to go after, the endings are just cutscenes that assume all the villains were captured.

That's the car jumping, yes? I had to do all 16 jumps I saw in a video before it popped, and I redid most of them 2-3 times just to make sure I jumped far enough.

Yeah, that's the one. According to the tracking I'm up to 6/8 now but there have been loads of jumps where it not registered as anything.

slade

I wouldn't have minded if every sidequest was tied to characters, and felt like it had a bit of a story to it, like
man-bat or even Hush, however short that was.
But some of the side content, like the checkpoints, bombs and towers, was just there for padding. When they tease
a melee fight with Deathstroke, but that turns out to be another tank battle, that makes those 3 questlines feel like even more of a chore.

God yes. Spent most of last night finishing up the other quests but when I got to that final fight with
my namesake
I just put the control down in disgust. Rocksteady tried way too hard with these Batmobile sections. I just am not having fun anymore.

Right now, my ranking would be City>Origins=Asylum>Knight. This game was a disappointment gameplay and storyline wise. Hopefully, season pass content is better.

SomTervo

Yep, I would not have gotten the platinum trophy had it not been for the Scarecrow missions counting towards the 69 stars.

Those tank AR challenges are just too hard. I don't know how the youtubers are pulling it off, but I will never touch that shit ever again. I just get overwhelmed too easily.

The one game-changing tip for the tank AR challenges is to use the Vulcan machine-gun to shoot the neon critical-points on the Drones, rather than just Main Canoning them.

If you destroy drones with a machine-gun critical hit on the neon light (needs pinpoint aiming, but isn't too hard) you get a lot more combo build up. Literally two critical kills and you'll have a full green-bar for special attacks, you'll start building a 'Critical Combo' which ups your points hugely, and you can start spamming square or triangle to Missile or Hack the remaining drones. It takes a few tries to get your Critical Combo flow right in the opening 30 seconds, but once you start using this tactic your score flies up and it's not too hard to get the three stars.

I was enjoying the Batmobile until the segments in the last quarter of the game. I stopped playing last night at the part where
you have to lure the AK's batmobile crusher thing into the mines.

I seem to be in a tiny minority, but I really, really enjoyed that part of the game. It only took me two tries and I found it intense in a good way. I would have really liked a fistfight with AK, too, but hey. Beggars can't be choosers.

You can also activate the remote batmobile and run them over

Goddamnit. That is ingenious.

Just finished sans the one damn Riddler trophy that glitched on me, just watched the 100% ending on Youtube, I'll get back to it later.

Story was predictable as complained about and yeah there was no real mystery to the Arkham Knight's identity, even if you've never read a single comic they bash it over your head
like it's a crowbar
well before the reveal.

Ok thanks for the tips.

Agreed, I cringed when I saw him and even though it was creatively implemented, it still bothered me. They leaned on him for all four games, which is lazy and creatively bankrupt.

You mean Riddler, and yes. There's a couple that are a few minutes long so you should do those first.

Yeah, that's the one. According to the tracking I'm up to 6/8 now but there have been loads of jumps where it not registered as anything.

I spent hours doing this before I realized that the trick is to hold afterburner (which should be maxed), don't mash it. That's the only way you get enough speed. Also, use the left stick to make sure you land properly. At least you get a tracker on Xbone!

Kinsei

Banned
Quick question about high up breakable walls. There's a Riddler trophy high up in an area with behind one of them, but it's in an area the batmobile can't reach. Since it's one of the weak ones that can be destroyed with a single punch I figured I could smash through with the line launcher but that didn't work. Is there an ability I get later on (I just got out of the Ace Chemicals building) to destroy it? This is the only Riddler icon left on my map so it's really annoying me.

Agreed, I cringed when I saw him and even though it was creatively implemented, it still bothered me. They leaned on him for all four games, which is lazy and creatively bankrupt.

You mean Riddler, and yes. There's a couple that are a few minutes long so you should do those first.

I spent hours doing this before I realized that the trick is to hold afterburner (which should be maxed), don't mash it. That's the only way you get enough speed. Also, use the left stick to make sure you land properly. At least you get a tracker on Xbone!

Dude, spoiler tag that in your original post, it's too easy to know who you're talking about

Quick question about high up breakable walls. There's a Riddler trophy high up in an area with behind one of them, but it's in an area the batmobile can't reach. Since it's one of the weak ones that can be destroyed with a single punch I figured I could smash through with the line launcher but that didn't work. Is there an ability I get later on (I just got out of the Ace Chemicals building) to destroy it? This is the only Riddler icon left on my map so it's really annoying me.

All you have to do is glide into it :)

^

And the Batmobile can shoot every one of the stone walls, guaranteed.

SomTervo

I don't think I can agree with this, I don't think it's creatively bankrupt at all.

It's like saying 'When he wrote the Sherlock Holmes stories, Arthur Conan Doyle leaned on
Moriarty way too much'.

The Joker is the ying to Batman's yang. If you want to tell a story that cuts right to the heart of Batman and what he's all about, the Joker has to be involved somehow. Obviously not every Batman story needs the Joker, but ones which are of any relation to Batman's limits usually need Joker in there.

hard to believe, since Scarecrow didn't control the things Batman sees, yet that was "part of the plan"

You're right.

Only thing I can think of is this
she's actually there and dosed with the fear toxin, but doesn't actually shoot herself, what Batman sees is his fear of what will happen and Barbara ends up passing out because of the fear toxin she was dosed with.

DesuNe

Downloading a 3.7 GB patch right now. What is it for?

I didn't get a darn thing, you had my hopes up for nothing. :(

Even though I've finished the game I would actually quite like to play it again but generally mess about with skins and maybe do the rest of the challenges - minus all the stuttering nonsense.

he also says, at one point, "i've been honing my skills." pretty sure no one playing the game who heard that was interpreting it as referring to his driving skills :) ...

cormack12

Gold Member
Question: I've finished the main storyline and only have sidequests to do now. I've apprehended most of the super villains and the only side missions I have left are the militia checkpoints and watchtowers and the Riddles. I apprehended
Pengiun
after the end and still need two supervillains to trigger 'Knightfall' - are there two left amongst the content I have left?

Question: I've finished the main storyline and only have sidequests to do now. I've apprehended most of the super villains and the only side missions I have left are the militia checkpoints and watchtowers and the Riddles. I apprehended
Pengiun
after the end and still need two supervillains to trigger 'Knightfall' - are there two left amongst the content I have left?

Yes, Riddler and
Deathstroke

Balphon

I don't think I can agree with this, I don't think it's creatively bankrupt at all.

It's like saying 'When he wrote the Sherlock Holmes stories, Arthur Conan Doyle leaned on
Moriarty way too much'.

The Joker is the ying to Batman's yang. If you want to tell a story that cuts right to the heart of Batman and what he's all about, the Joker has to be involved somehow. Obviously not every Batman story needs the Joker, but ones which are of any relation to Batman's limits usually need Joker in there.

I don't think you've read much Sherlock Holmes.

Top Bottom