• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Oh FFS another Batmobile "boss" fight.

Some 85% mission spoiler
After that entire mission about Cloudburst I am fighting Arkham Knight once again...in a tank..inside a tunnel..where the camera pulls back every time I need to concentrate on driving precisely to get away.

Looking at the OP tells me the car can go 0-60 in some 2.3 seconds..yet it can get chased by Arkham Knight's fuckin drill mobile

I'm gonna come right out and say it. Arkham Knight has the worst boss fights of every game in the Arkham series. And that's fucking saying something.

SomTervo

I'm not saying the majority of the game. For the majority of the game you are just being Batman.

I'm talking about the modes of gameplay. I think you do more Batmobile tank combat than you do of freeflow (for the 2-3 minutes it will take each Penguin cache), or you do for predator (for the 4-5 minutes it will take for each Two-Face mission), or even the time it will take for most Riddler puzzle rooms. Freeflow comes close with the towers and road blocks, but that tends to take a lot less time than the tank battles they throw at you.

I might be wrong but it certainly felt like, other than time spent navigating the world, the thing I did most was Batmobile combat.

This might sound presumptuous, but perhaps the tank battles just fet longer to you? I enjoy them, and I swear they only take 1-2 minutes each time. I mean, it's mainly swivelling on the spot and blowing up around 10 objects. To me they feel similar in length to freeflow combat's 1-2 minutes, and a lot shorter than predator encounters' 4-5 minutes.

You're right that there's probably a frequency of encounter balance, and the fact that the Batmobile seems to have been given priority as half the game's mechanics in terms 'game mechanics' rather than detective work, freeflow or predatorial.

It should be on the roof, near the Bat symbol.

I just saw a youtube video...it looks my game is bugged.(Heavy endgame story spoiler)
I tried heading to where you first meet Jim Gordon (There's supposed to be a bat signal, as seen in the youtube video...but nothing is showing for me.

Fucking arseholes, I can't even complete the story due to this bug. I powered through all the PC port issues and texture loading, only to face this. The final slap in the face.

The game is loaded with forced batmobile sequences like this and it just abhorrent design. The waves of drone tanks, charging the winch, platforming with it, having to constantly get in and out to hit switches... ugh. I started off thinking I was going to really dig this game, but boy did it ever nosedive. Biggest disappointment of the year for me and I regret the hell out of buying it.

seconded. arkham knight doesn't just 'introduce' the batmobile: it basically redesigns much of the entire game around it. this isn't how you work a new mechanic, or a new form of gameplay, into an already established series. at least not without seriously isolating/disappointing a portion of your fanbase...

Joker definitely mocks him about that.

More about Barbara:
Deservingly so. There's something weird about all of this. Batman clearly has more fault into all of this than Scarecrow. He's not able to support and protect his allies, and yet he asks of everyone to trust him.

Lnkn52

This might sound presumptuous, but perhaps the tank battles just fet longer to you? I enjoy them, and I swear they only take 1-2 minutes each time. I mean, it's mainly swivelling on the spot and blowing up around 10 objects. To me they feel similar in length to freeflow combat's 1-2 minutes, and a lot shorter than predator encounters' 4-5 minutes.

You're right that there's probably a frequency of encounter balance, and the fact that the Batmobile seems to have been given priority as half the game's mechanics in terms 'game mechanics' rather than detective work, freeflow or predatorial.

There are combos with the tank right? Last night I was press the gun turret and the rockets at the same time to get bonus damage (I was doing the side missions to get 8k).

FHIZ

so I've done the first Riddler race and have progressed through the main story to the point where I'm looking for the Arkham Knight after he kidnaps someone, and have yet to see a single Riddler trophy in the open world. What's up? Am I just not at the point where the open world actually opens up or do I have to trigger something else?

zeemumu

I am loving this game so much, in fact the only thing I don't like about it is....

U1uK1Y8.gif

Pretty much this. I was only planning to play for a few hours yesterday, then I looked at the clock and realized that it was the afternoon.

I actually do have one slight problem with it, but it's kind of a nitpick:

There may be too much
Joker in here. I mean love Mark Hamill and I'm glad that he's in it again and I like the way that they worked him in because it gives me some slightly better closure for Arkham City, but damn, how much dialogue did he record for this game? I was expecting a flashback or a few Batman hallucinations, but he's everywhere.

More about Barbara:
Deservingly so. There's something weird about all of this. Batman clearly has more fault into all of this than Scarecrow. He's not able to support and protect his allies, and yet he asks of everyone to trust him.

The game seems to be attempting to disprove the "prep-time trumps all" theme of Batman by having him fail multiple times, and even when he succeeds, it's never enough. And then some of the side missions involve others attempting to offer him help or just straight up act as his replacement. He thinks he's doing the right thing by minimizing the amount of players in the field so that it'll keep them safe, but that doesn't seem to work, either. He's having a "I'm Superman! I can save everyone!" crisis.

Alienous

Maybe they did feel longer to me. I did mostly zone out while I was doing them (just watching the lines and their colours change without much concious strategizing), so maybe I just lost my perception of time doing them. There might be more freeflow than that, but I think it's close.

Since the Nolan movies I guess it's cool to see the batmobile as a tank and an armored assault vehicle, but for me what's cool about the batmobile is just when Batman is driving it and being a badass by using it in more subtle ways. The character tends to shine more in these quieter moments than, say, when he's blowing shit up with missiles.

Imagine an autopilot mode you could engage that could drive you to your destination and allows you to switch between a POV view or a view of the dash or a view of Batman or whatever. And a mode that allows you to go inside the car and use its computer for detective work and analysis or to communicate with your allies. And you could activate gadgets to incapacitate other vehicles more quietly.

I don't hate the batmobile or anything, but the way its used doesn't always play to the core strengths of the character. Having said that, the first Riddler race I did was a lot of fun.

SomTervo

Exactly. I got all settled in thinking it was going to be great and then it just fell off a cliff. But I am sticking it out for the story and because I paid $60 for it. I really can't wait to be done with it, to be honest.

And here's how I feel about the game:

I went to play for about an hour last night before dinner, was going to work on the story mode and wound up stumbling upon some Riddler guy to interrogate, and as I went to run his friends over with the batmobile, instead I
mistakenly wound up driving in a garage door that opened up some Riddler driving mini-game. The game even mentioned how I found the secret earlier than I was supposed to. So I Spent 30 or so minutes doing two different challenges, the latter of which I refused to stop playing until I got those 3 stars.
The amount of detail and little things in the city really is outstanding. This game, simply put, is just bad ass.

I am loving this game so much, in fact the only thing I don't like about it is....

U1uK1Y8.gif

MtZ9N.gif

bryanee

so I've done the first Riddler race and have progressed through the main story to the point where I'm looking for the Arkham Knight after he kidnaps someone, and have yet to see a single Riddler trophy in the open world. What's up? Am I just not at the point where the open world actually opens up or do I have to trigger something else?

They're not as obvious to see in this game but they are around.

The answering machine in Wayne Towers. Concerning the last two messages.

I feel bad for laughing, Joker really went for the jugular there. :D

Courage

I'm getting used to the Batmobile but I still have to say it's serviceable at best. Like a lot of the shit you do with it is pretty cookie cutter. Dodge beams, shoot the drone's weak point. Drive behind a vehicle, hit a button to blow it up. I feel like they did a good job to not make it half-assed and 'complete' the Batman experience but in reality, the Batmobile would never be a useful addition in a Batman game unless it's used in a scripted sequence or something.

Still really enjoying the game, and the story is more twisted and dark than the other two. I hope it maintains its quality to the end.

E the Shaggy

Two minor nitpicks from the game:

1.) What was with the decision to shave Tim Drake/Robin bald? It really looks laughable.

2.) Mike from Breaking Bad is a fantastic actor and I can see why they got him, but he just doesn't fit for Gordon for me. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Nice little touch that I didn't realize:

Scarecrow's "mask" actually being what was left of his face after being attacked by Killer Croc is a nice, creepy touch.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Leaderboards broken for anyone else on PS4? Shame, that was a cool feature while it lasted (one day)

zeemumu

Oh FFS another Batmobile "boss" fight.

Some 85% mission spoiler
After that entire mission about Cloudburst I am fighting Arkham Knight once again...in a tank..inside a tunnel..where the camera pulls back every time I need to concentrate on driving precisely to get away.

Looking at the OP tells me the car can go 0-60 in some 2.3 seconds..yet it can get chased by Arkham Knight's fuckin drill mobile

I assumed the explanation for that was that
The Knight built that thing specifically to combat the Batmobile and overclocks the cloudburst to power the engines.

Two minor nitpicks from the game:

1.) What was with the decision to shave Tim Drake/Robin bald? It really looks laughable.

2.) Mike from Breaking Bad is a fantastic actor and I can see why they got him, but he just doesn't fit for Gordon for me. I can't quite put my finger on it.

1. It looks really ridiculous. He looks like a 20-year-old suffering from a rare case of premature baldness, bravely hanging on to his remaining fuzz.

2. Oh man, is that who it is? I really like him as Gordon actually. Definitely my favourite so far.

hbkdx12

The answering machine in Wayne Towers. Concerning the last two messages.

I feel bad for laughing, Joker really went for the jugular there. :D

Nah it was great. i lol'd

I find his overall presence in the game to be a bit forced but his lines and delivery are still stellar

slop101

Banned
I'm fine with the Batmobile, even when it's unnecessarily shoehorned in when it doesn't need to be. But the fucking battle-tank shit - can't stand it! It's dull, boring and just not fun - which would be okay if there wasn't so goddamn much of it. Seriously, who's idea was it for so much tank battle? This is not why I'm playing a Batman game. It pretty much ruins the game for me.

Mikey Jr.

Question about the mission select. Is it normal not to get way points for some of them? The first one where you go and investigate a murder. I got a way point in the beginning for it. I solved it, but wanted to continue on. Didn't show a way point, just said to listen for opera.

So will there be a way point or will I have to find the next victim by myself?

Same goes for those firefighter side quests.

Thanks.

SomTervo

I just saw a youtube video...it looks my game is bugged.(Heavy endgame story spoiler)
I tried heading to where you first meet Jim Gordon (There's supposed to be a bat signal, as seen in the youtube video...but nothing is showing for me.

Fucking arseholes, I can't even complete the story due to this bug. I powered through all the PC port issues and texture loading, only to face this. The final slap in the face.

Gutting, man.

Maybe try reinstalling?

Though I'm aware bugs like this are usually tied to save files :(

There are combos with the tank right? Last night I was press the gun turret and the rockets at the same time to get bonus damage (I was doing the side missions to get 8k).

I haven't looked man - maybe there are

Maybe they did feel longer to me. I did mostly zone out while I was doing them (just watching the lines and their colours change without much concious strategizing), so maybe I just lost my perception of time doing them. There might be more freeflow than that, but I think it's close.

Yeah, fair enough. I find engaging with the level design during Tank Battles is usually fairly interesting. Hiding behind buildings/around objects. I think it's relatively well designed but they could have done so much more with it, and reduced the amount of them.

Question about the mission select. Is it normal not to get way points for some of them? The first one where you go and investigate a murder. I got a way point in the beginning for it. I solved it, but wanted to continue on. Didn't show a way point, just said to listen for opera.

Thanks.

Yes, it's normal. This has been answered before.

You often get the first side objective shown to you, but after that you have to explore for them, or listen out for dialogue on the police radio and use detective mode to give you clues.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Did a Predator challenge with the 6 armed guys including a medic last night, took me like 50 tries. Wow I'm rusty. Then I found out the leaderboards were down so I realized I'm gonna have to do it all again later :/

Thanks.
There are certain side missions where you have to pay attention to radio conversations or other things around Gotham. For example, with the murder sidequests pay attention for
opera music
while you're flying around the city. When you hear it, the next victim will be near by somewhere. There are a few of those quests that don't show up anywhere on your map.

SomTervo

Nice little touch that I didn't realize:

Scarecrow's "mask" actually being what was left of his face after being attacked by Killer Croc is a nice, creepy touch.

Shit, I didn't realise this. Have to look closer next time. Grim as fuck.

He still has
some mask on his face, right? To protect himself? I swear I looked closely at his face just the other day, and I still thought it was a mask.

Really neat detail regarding Barbara (major spoilers about a pivotal scene about halfway through the game)
when she puts the gun to her head
and it looks like she's died
you actually see the Joker slide the pistol towards her beforehand showing that the Joker and Barbara are both part of the same hallucination.

Hang on, wait.

Is this a spoiler from the end of the game

About a scene half way through the game

So still an end-game spoiler? Because that looks like I just spoiled a last-act revelation for myself.

Or is what you said never revealed, just a nice detail?

Alienous

Shit, I didn't realise this. Have to look closer next time. Grim as fuck.

He still has
some mask on his face, right? To protect himself? I swear I looked closely at his face just the other day, and I still thought it was a mask.

No he does,
it's just that his mask is keeping his face from falling apart.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Are there any traditional (on foot) boss fights in the main story or do you fight every boss using the batmobile?

Alienous

Are there any traditional (on foot) boss fights in the main story or do you fight every boss using the batmobile?

I can think of
--one--
but that's
locked behind completing a certain sidequest
, which is
finding all of the Riddler's trophies
and
having saved Catwoman from the Riddler.
I haven't done it myself, and watching videos it doesn't seem to even be as good as what the series has had in the past.

They do have a (boss scenario spoilers, no actual character names)
predator mode boss that I thought was cool

Mild early game spoiler post Ace Chem.
I loved the exploration so far, but now everything is full of annoying tanks. Is it gonna stay that way?

Kinyou

Does finishing the game unlock more proper challenge maps or are those relatively barebones 'AR' ones all we get? I thought the Harley Dlc would also offer 4 new maps.

E the Shaggy

I think I'm about 50% done with the story mode so far, and I have three guesses as to who the Arkham Knight is:

1.) Jason Todd
2.) James Gordon (Jim Gordon's son)
3.) Damien Wayne (Different in the Arkham Knight universe, blames Batman for his mother's death

Alienous

Hang on, wait.

Is this a spoiler from the end of the game

About a scene half way through the game

So still an end-game spoiler? Because that looks like I just spoiled a last-act revelation for myself.

Or is what you said never revealed, just a nice detail?

I phrased that badly. I edited my post because I could see how you interpreted it as such.

Alright, 50% story covered. Someone bring me up to speed on early early story details. No end game spoilers please

I'm just trying to get the plot down ha ha.

So, Bats gets sprayed by Scarecrow and starts Hallucinating. Now the entire game calls into question what is and what isn't. But going back, Bats is still suffering from the dose Joker gave him in the last game. Also , the Gordon scene. What is the significance and connection with the 5 people that were gassed and the missing 5th person. The details are scrambled in my head. Or is the missing connection part of the storyline that plays out later?

Are there any retailer specific bonuses? I don't mean preorder stuff since I'm going to be buying the game today probably (and won't get the preorder stuff), but... just any retailer specific content out there that is worth getting over the other?

CryptiK

I think I'm about 50% done with the story mode so far, and I have three guesses as to who the Arkham Knight is:

1.) Jason Todd
2.) James Gordon (Jim Gordon's son)
3.) Damien Wayne (Different in the Arkham Knight universe, blames Batman for his mother's death
If you are half way through it should already be obvious.

SomTervo

Mild early game spoiler post Ace Chem.
I loved the exploration so far, but now everything is full of annoying tanks. Is it gonna stay that way?

Nope.

(I seem to be the minority who thinks this. The tank battle content, from what I've seen (75-80% story, 50% whole game) seems to be well balanced with everything else. And I enjoy it.

Also, if you destroy all the tanks on an island, they don't come back. Story missions may temporarily respawn some.)

Staf

Just did the first sequence with the Batmobile, so this may not be fair, but i really hope you are not forced into it again. That shit is not fun.

SomTervo

Just did the first sequence with the Batmobile, so this may not be fair, but i really hope you are not forced into it again. That shit is not fun.

You are forced into it in many times, but in variations of puzzles, chases and tank battles.

I love it personally, but it seems like one of the most divisive aspects of any game in recent years, which is also a dealbreaker for a lot of people on this game.

Nope.

(I seem to be the minority who thinks this. The tank battle content, from what I've seen (75-80% story, 50% whole game) seems to be well balanced with everything else. And I enjoy it.

Also, if you destroy all the tanks on an island, they don't come back. Story missions may temporarily respawn some.)

I'm with you, I'm 50% story, 35% general and I've been fighting as Batman much more than with the Batmobile, I understand that there's a terrible Tank fight near the end but so far everything is fine.

Top Bottom