• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Holy shit Ive never been more lost in a game than i am now. Inside the hotel and have to use an electic batarang to hit a fusebox but cant find it for the life of me. Am i blind?

If it's the one I am thinking of - the one you throw out of a small opening like an eyeball - it is directly next to Batman's right. You have to throw it out, reverse it, and shoot it at the fuse box to Batman's right.

Derrick01

Banned
Man this game really bombards a lot of messages on your screen at once and leaves each one up for about 2 seconds.

Character trophy unlocked!

Profile data unlocked

Combat data blah blah blah 750xp x2 for doing good B+ YOU DID OK!

Find your new objective

All that and like 2 more things all at once just now. Had a hard time keeping track of all that while the game is still active.

So, is the counter system fucked up or is it just me? It seems like it works only half the time.

You have a much smaller window to use it now than in past games.

Rnr1224

Has anyone been playing or enjoying the multiplayer? I only managed to get into a couple matches but I wasn't really liking what I was playing.

SJRB

Gold Member
Wow the Royal Hotel and the stuff directly afterwards was freaking amazing. Lightyears ahead of anything else in the game so far.

That was really, REALLY well done.

But it's displayed on the "Properties under the DLC Tab" on Steam or not?

Thanks for your answer

Nah it's not displayed there on mine, it's just a part of the game, no separate download or anything. No worries man, hate when I ask a Q and nothing, I even appreciate a "I don't know" but when you get nothing, you've got no idea if anyone saw it or not haha.

Hixx

It's too small a window. So many times I have pressed attack when there were no warnings up and before I have even landed the hit I have been punched first.

It's incredibly frustrating. City's timings were bloody perfect.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Man this game really bombards a lot of messages on your screen at once and leaves each one up for about 2 seconds.

Profile data unlocked

Find your new objective

All that and like 2 more things all at once just now. Had a hard time keeping track of all that while the game is still active.

This was one of my biggest issues with Arkham Asylum when it first came out. It really stood out to me as beating you over the head with the carrot instead of letting me just feel the stick from time to time. I thought AC went overboard with complex controls and, as a result, there were control hints on the screen like almost constantly. AO feels a little better but I'm still used to seeing L1 + X + R1 wait X X X to USE BATARANG

Just did the
Deathstroke
fight

Don't really see why people are praising it so much, it felt a bit repetitive and tedious. It starts off really cool though but is terribly anti climactic

Nah it's not displayed there on mine, it's just a part of the game, no separate download or anything. No worries man, hate when I ask a Q and nothing, I even appreciate a "I don't know" but when you get nothing, you've got no idea if anyone saw it or not haha.

I really really appreciate your answer bro I thought that I was missing the DLC, but as you said it's not displayed, and you're right I hate when I ask a question and nobody answer it too, but there's a lot of nice fellow gaffers who helps others!

Well once again, thank you for your help my fellow gaffer :D

This was one of my biggest issues with Arkham Asylum when it first came out. It really stood out to me as beating you over the head with the carrot instead of letting me just feel the stick from time to time. I thought AC went overboard with complex controls and, as a result, there were control hints on the screen like almost constantly. AO feels a little better but I'm still used to seeing L1 + X + R1 wait X X X to USE BATARANG

Don't know why there aren't in-game options to turn that crap off. I want to crouch at the edge of a rooftop without the button/key prompt for "drop down" popping up throughout the entire game.

It's too small a window. So many times I have pressed attack when there were no warnings up and before I have even landed the hit I have been punched first.

It's not that it's a small window, it's that you can't stop mid combat for counters as easily anymore, if you launch into some attacks and try to counter it won't work, you have to get more of a rhythm with your button presses rather than just mashing buttons all the time

I thought it was weird at first too but now I'm chaining things together much better after getting a feel for it

Y2Kev

Just did the
Deathstroke
fight

Don't really see why people are praising it so much, it felt a bit repetitive and tedious. It starts off really cool though but is terribly anti climactic
First two phases were cool. Third made it almost impossible to hit him without doing the same counter sequence over and over.

Eusis

Which was funny since my main strategy ended up being "get critical hit upgrade, fly across the room to hit everyone, use a few other moves if necessary." This worked fantastic outside of the Harley Quinn DLC.

... Though that may not hold up on Hard.

Lima

Don't know why there aren't in-game options to turn that crap off. I want to crouch at the edge of a rooftop without the button/key prompt for "drop down" popping up throughout the entire game.

You can turn of hints in options. Of course that turns of counter indicators too.

SJRB

Gold Member
Can a fellow gaffer make a cool batman avatar for me pretty please! :D

2oxxtPi.png

Permanently A

When or where do I unlock the
Bird missions
(spoiler for the name of one of the Most Wanted).

Do you just get it naturally progressing through the story? I want Disarm and Destroy already.

kodecraft

YEP... after restarting and taking 3 hours to get right where I was before.. it crashes right in the same spot right as its saving and fucks my save up.... Man what an awesome 50 dolla demo... :*(
[CRASHES/FREEZES]

Crash on startup, game will not load.
Black screen during cinematics.
Black Screen during Killer Croc's fight.
Freeze during Bane's fight.
Exiting the Final Offer
Crash after the "Loose Lips" arms dealer cinematic.
Freeze while Fast-traveling to the Batcave
Enabling PhysX causes more crashes
While "checking for content" due to resolution issues on GFXSettings.BatmanArkhamOrigins.xml
Restarting checkpoint after meeting Joker.
Crash on elevator with grinning manager after copperhead encounter.
this one

Man I feel ya, I had to start over 3 times now due to random things no longer working in the game hindering the progression of the story, I mean wtf!!!

I'm on 360 btw.

You can turn of hints in options. Of course that turns of counter indicators too.

It still leaves those contextual controls on the screen last I checked. It just doesn't have the ones describing how to do critical strikes or knife dodges, and those stop showing up after successfully completing them a few times, I believe.

kodecraft

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK OFF.

After having no issues with glitches and bugs I turn on my 360 just now to carry on my save with hours of gameplay on it and I'm greeted with CORRUPT SAVE in the save file.

I am fucking pissed.

This happened to me last night, welcome to the club.

Profile data unlocked

Find your new objective

Curious what your thoughts of this game. Most of the open world stuff is pretty much AssCreed ubisoft game design.

kodecraft

One thing I really love is the introduction of real detective work. I love examining a crime scene, putting all the pieces together and then tracking down the culprit. If there's one criticism I have, it's that it holds your hand too much in how you work through a case, but that's something that can be addressed in future games.

I agree, this is the strong-point of the Arkham games for me, even over the combat. Batman is a detective so doing detective work using gadgets to analyze a scene is so awesome.

But I am also glad it 'holds your hand' a little, if it didn't, we'd be bitching about being stuck and can't solve crimes.

Y2Kev

Curious what your thoughts of this game. Most of the open world stuff is pretty much AssCreed ubisoft game design.

Take Ubisoft game design + add more satisfying core mechanics + better characterization and general writing. It kinda works but I still prefer the level design of AA.

When will a Batman game have appropriately scare-able enemies? The ambient chatter would have you believe Batman is still viewed as a myth or a monster, yet enemies make light-hearted jokes while you fight them and they run toward you every time.

I agree, this is the strong-point of the Arkham games for me, even over the combat. Batman is a detective so doing detective work using gadgets to analyze a scene is so awesome.

But I am also glad it 'holds your hand' a little, if it didn't, we'd be bitching about being stuck and can't solve crimes.

What I'd love is for more considerable portion of a future Batman game to be detective work. Less hand-holding with the focus being on figuring out what happened at a given crime-scene. Multi-stage side missions that involve solving standalone crimes could be awesome. I enjoy running around constantly beating the shit out of criminals, but I'd be fine with less straight-forward combat.

When will a Batman game have appropriately scare-able enemies? The ambient chatter would have you believe Batman is still viewed as a myth or a monster, yet enemies make light-hearted jokes while you fight them and they run toward you every time.

Yeah it shatters the illusion completely every time. "Do you think the bat's real?" and then I drop then and a guy said "Look who it is"

Sojgat

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK OFF.

After having no issues with glitches and bugs I turn on my 360 just now to carry on my save with hours of gameplay on it and I'm greeted with CORRUPT SAVE in the save file.

I am fucking pissed.

Yeah, seems to be a widespread problem on 360, it's not even worth playing until they patch it.

Take Ubisoft game design + add more satisfying core mechanics + better characterization and general writing. It kinda works but I still prefer the level design of AA.

idk, the collectables and 'destroy x of this' stuff is totally throwaway and seems pointless.

and holy shit shockgloves, pretty op stuff.

btw: anyone know where to get 'disarm and destroy'? Its not in the close combat tree.

Just finished it, got to say apart from the glitches and the frame rate drops this is the best Arkham game out of all of them at least from the story perspective. And this is coming from a guy who hates prequels. Now off to play Blackgate on the vita.

Hixx

Just got the Shock Gloves and wow. Combined with critical strikes and Enforcers, very easy high combat multipliers. Got up to 72 in one fight before I'd even used a special ability
KuGsj.gif

Derrick01

Banned

Right now I kind of agree it's a bit much but I'm hoping I'm still in the adjustment period. I probably have 2 hours clocked at most. I do feel like AC's timing was much better.

I wouldn't even have a problem with all the messages if they'd let me read and process them. I can't process 17 messages in 5 seconds and it makes me feel like my mind is going to explode, I'm not a computer. The last thing I was doing was some kind of
Riddler
stuff but I have no idea what they were or why I was doing it because I couldn't pay attention to what everyone was saying with so much screen clutter.

I don't have enough progress in the story or side stuff yet to comment on that. I pretty much just unlocked the open world stuff after the first broadcast tower and flew around that section of the city taking out random guys. It's still the most fun thing to do in these games and part of the reason why Arkham City was so amazing almost right from the start. I appreciate the freedom to be Batman that AA didn't have, whether it was because of the tight linear areas or the combat groups that had at most 5 or 6 guys in them.

Maybe it's just because I'm still getting used to everything but I'm having a hard time understanding a lot of the changes. The skill tree seems unnecessarily confusing and it seems like a lot of the challenge maps are unlocked right away which I don't like. The gradual progression of unlocking them helped make the Riddler trophies and riddles have some meaning and satisfaction to solving them. I much prefer those or pieces of lore over unlocking concept art or character trophies.

brickarts295 said:
Now off to play Blackgate on the vita.

I'm so glad I played that first while I was gone. Such a garbage game that would have soured my good feelings from the main game if I was playing it second.

GeoGonzo

Just finished this. It absolutely is the best story in an Arkham game, and I even doubt that Conroy and Hamill would have done a better job with the voices. The game does look better than the last one and the city actually works really well. The worst boss fight is at least better than anything from the previous gamed (except for Freeze). The music is great... but you know what, this game is still an 8.

Despite all the improvements in pretty much everything... almost all the changes of the freeflow fighting are for the worse:
-Critical dodge is a terrible mechanic that rewards bad reflexes AND leads to worse animations.
-One upgrade is ridiculously overpowered and trivializes fights against special enemies.
-Glitchier animations, attacks that don't quite connect, bodies getting stuck in geometry/flunged a 100 meters...

Honestly the only good change I can think of are two new enemies that are fairly fun to fight against,

Still, I'm glad I ended up buying this game: Totally worth 35€, at least.

Tenrius

Something that somewhat disappointed me is that characters' bios lack the "first appearance" line, which was present at least in Arkham Asylum. It's a minor thing, but I miss it for some reason.

JDMC13

Anyone else having problems getting Worst Nightmare Rank 6 (Takedown Variation)? Swear I've done it 6 times in the challenges but it will not complete.

yeah... i'm having a hard time getting a feel of martial artists, sometimes it seems like attack -> evade-> you counter breaks your combo, sometimes it doesn't. Same with there 3 hit combo that you gotta counter 3 times.

The skill tree seems unnecessarily confusing and it seems like a lot of the challenge maps are unlocked right away which I don't like. The gradual progression of unlocking them helped make the Riddler trophies and riddles have some meaning and satisfaction to solving them. I much prefer those or pieces of lore over unlocking concept art or character trophies.

That doesn't match my experience- Challenge maps only seem to unlock once you've hit that location in the campaign, just like with AC and AA.

Gbraga

No it's not. You can still think City's timings were better, sure, but it's not too small at all. The biggest "issue" (not an issue) is that in this game you have to think better about your moves, since not everything is easily canceled with a counter, you have to commit to quite a few moves if you want to use them.

Again, nothing wrong with thinking City was better in that aspect, but saying the counter window is too small seems like a joke. The parry window in SF III is small, the counter window in Arkham Origins is huge.

Top Bottom