• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

I appreciated this.

The whole Year One vibe of this game was a welcome treat. too bad they couldn't get Bryan Cranston to revise his Gordon. I thought the Gordon actor did well.

This Batman interpretation really shined, however. Troy Baker did a good Joker, but Roger Smith should go on to contribute this Batman to further animated works, IMO.

I agree totally dude. I love Troy Bakers work, but Roger Smith really outdid himself in this. Glad he's still putting out his great voice since being so fantastic in Assassins Creed 2-Revelations.

I can't get over how much this Batman reminded me of CB's Batman. Watch this cutscene and at 1.20 you'll see the same thing that CB did. The hard breathing and look of just pure anger and hate, clenching his teeth. Really love it all!

Edit: Oh another thing that reminded me of Christian Bales performance as Batman, was when Batman is in the Batwing
returning to the Batcave to save Alfred and Roger Smith shouts "Alfred!!". I *loved* that and when he shouts it after he arrives in the Batcave.
Real worry and anger in his voice! :)

There's a video of it here. Major spoilers!

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah they should use this Batman from now on, he sounded way better than Conroy's emotionless and robotic Batman. It almost felt like playing as a less horrible Christian Bale.

Ryu1999

Yeah they should use this Batman from now on, he sounded way better than Conroy's emotionless and robotic Batman. It almost felt like playing as a less horrible Christian Bale.

He also sounds pretty similar to Conroy so there's still that familiarity as well.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
For this 4 exotic takedown challenge, is a Vent Takedown only the wall vents or do floor grates also count?

He also sounds pretty similar to Conroy so there's still that familiarity as well.

Yeah, I agree with you and Derrick. Sounds similar enough, but different enough too. I really never much liked Conroys performance in the last couple games. He sounds off, and not just because of his quite monotone robotic performances...just...I can't place exactly what it is but I hope Roger is here to stay. He's way too underrated.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.

He had a lot of range, cool and under control at some times, roaring like Christian Bale during interrogations at other times. The performance had a discernable and interesting arc, and I'd like to hear him do more of the character.

It seemed to believably bridge the performances of Bale and Conroy, in a way.

But I still loved Conroy in the other two games, and overall. Conroy made the character, while the movie Bruces floundered, and his range included the most believable smarmy Bruce Wayne, to bitter and decrepit old man Wayne. So, let's not get crazy here.

lucius

The game basically has a reverse difficulty curve. Half way through its becomes really easy and once you get the shock gloves its pretty much just a matter of mashing x until everything is dead .

Yeah, I switched back to Hard, and suggest anyone who has beat other games on Hard or New Game+ just to stick it out on Hard, I think part of the problem at first was the little differences in combat and slight camera changes, but I am really enjoying the game now.

He had a lot of range, cool and under control at some times, roaring like Christian Bale during interrogations at other times. The performance had a discernable and interesting arc, and I'd like to hear him do more of the character.

It seemed to believably bridge the performances of Bale and Conroy, in a way.

But I still loved Conroy in the other two games, and overall. Conroy made the character, while the movie Bruces floundered, and his range included the most believable smarmy Bruce Wayne, to bitter and decrepit old man Wayne. So, let's not get crazy here.

The writing and story in Origins is better than those in the past two games, not to mention there seems Smith received some actual voice direction aside from "sound angry here; sound calm here". His anger in the last confrontation with Hugo Strange sounded unconvincing/silly. He seemed emotional in odd spots in AC; when Oracle suggests the possibility that he may been mind-controlled during the Identity Theft murders, he gets all indignant and snaps at her, saying there's no way he would kill someone; it sounds dumb because it was a distinct possibility.

I've noticed that almost every role Conroy's had as Batman without Andrea Romano doing voice direction was subpar (don't know what all goes into voice direction, but still). Every show/movie I've seen with Romano in that role had amazing cast choices and overall performance. I hope she could fill that role in a future Rocksteady Batman game

Gotta echo the comments about Smith's Batman/Bruce. Excellent melding of Conroy and Bale. Just fantastic acting all around. I hope Smith continues on as Batman and that Rocksteady brings on WBs writers and character artists.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Gotta echo the comments about Smith's Batman/Bruce. Excellent melding of Conroy and Bale. Just fantastic acting all around. I hope Smith continues on as Batman and that Rocksteady brings on WBs writers and character artists.

Imo he tries a bit too hard but Troy Baker on the other hand is phenomenal!

kodecraft

And I am not a fan of Christian Bale as Batman at all.

Imo he tries a bit too hard but Troy Baker on the other hand is phenomenal!

They both did a fantastic job, don't everyone go and jump ship on Hamill and Conroy now, they are still the kings of this ish.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
The writing and story in Origins is better than those in the past two games, not to mention there seems Smith received some actual voice direction aside from "sound angry here; sound calm here". His anger in the last confrontation with Hugo Strange sounded unconvincing/silly. He seemed emotional in odd spots in AC; when Oracle suggests the possibility that he may been mind-controlled during the Identity Theft murders, he gets all indignant and snaps at her, saying there's no way he would kill someone; it sounds dumb because it was a distinct possibility.

I've noticed that almost every role Conroy's had as Batman without Andrea Romano doing voice direction was subpar (don't know what all goes into voice direction, but still). Every show/movie I've seen with Romano in that role had amazing cast choices and overall performance. I hope she could fill that role in a future Rocksteady Batman game

I'm getting about ready for a replay of AC but I don't remember noticing anything like this. I need to pick up the Game of the Year edition, as it's now about as cheap as Harley's Revenge (which I still haven't played) by itself. So I'll keep an ear out.

I'm glad most people like the new guy. It's a bummer reading such negative reviews after having such a good time with the game. At least people seem to agree on Smith's performance.

And Baker's too. He caught a lot of shit after the Silent Hill HD thing.

Am I the only one loving the score for this game?

I found it a step down from AC. It's not bad though

The "AA/AC guy" IS Batman.

The guy in this game does a pretty good job at mimicking him, though.

His performances in AA and AC were lacking. When he's at his best, he's Batman, and he wasn't in the last two games. Performance matters more than voice and Smith did a good job on all fronts.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I think you guys are going to be pretty disappointed with the next Batman game if you're expecting Smith to voice him.

Am I the only one loving the score for this game?

Definitely not, the score is fantastic for this! The main menu theme is fantastic. I especially liked the main menu theme! The jingle type sound at 46 seconds in is fantastic.

Someone in the comments said it was like a mix of The Dark Knight Rises and The Nightmare Before Christmas, lol. Spot on I think.

Like with any game that has a wonderful score, i'll be having a listen to it all via youtube very shortly. :)

The music and general presentation of the intro to this topped even Arkham City's intro (which I loved). I wished it was actually in-game and not a low quality video playing, but still. I really enjoyed how fantastically well done it was.

strafer

Definitely not, the score is fantastic for this! The main menu theme is fantastic. I especially liked the main menu theme! The jingle type sound at 46 seconds in is fantastic.

Someone in the comments said it was like a mix of The Dark Knight Rises and The Nightmare Before Christmas, lol. Spot on I think.

Like with any game that has a wonderful score, i'll be having a listen to it all via youtube very shortly. :)

The music and general presentation of the intro to this topped even Arkham City's intro (which I loved). I wished it was actually in-game and not a low quality video playing, but still. I really enjoyed how fantastically well done it was.

Yeah the main theme is awesome.

I really dig copperhead

His performances in AA and AC were lacking. When he's at his best, he's Batman, and he wasn't in the last two games. Performance matters more than voice and Smith did a good job on all fronts.
Yeah, agree with this, but I'd also add that I felt the same way about Hamill in AA/AC. Glad other actors got a shot, and they did a great job.

Also, Joker's design channels The Killing Joke so hard. Plus there are numerous references to it.

Love the voice actors, would take Robert Craig Smith and Troy Barker again in a heartbeat. Love the score. Love the story. Love the visuals, the art direction. If all that can be married with the actual fresh feeling Arkham City had when it came out, which I'm sure is achieveable if the actual goal of the project was new tech, new animations, new assets and so on, it would be perfect. The one thing I'm not sure Montreal is capable of at all is hitting the exact balance in the combat that Rocksteady could, and perhaps the riddle stuff, but again maybe that was a time/budget thing. Otherwise, love it. One of the best entries to the batman franchise outside the comics ever, right alongside the other two games.

bryanee

So I've finished it. Man what a finale, I have some side quests to mop up and the Riddler stuff but that shouldn't take too long. Man do I like the Noel costume.

Quick question, am I bollocksed now when it comes to the Deadshot side quest? It's still fucked even now.

So I've finished it. Man what a finale, I have some side quests to mop up and the Riddler stuff but that shouldn't take too long. Man do I like the Noel costume.

Quick question, am I bollocksed now when it comes to the Deadshot side quest? It's still fucked even now.

Do yourself a favour and check out the actual Noel book, such a nice looking piece of work

Tookay

Yeah, agree with this, but I'd also add that I felt the same way about Hamill in AA/AC. Glad other actors got a shot, and they did a great job.

Also, Joker's design channels The Killing Joke so hard. Plus there are numerous references to it.

I disagree. I think Hamill killed it in AA and AC. Probably some of his strongest work yet.

XM1049

Neo Member
Can someone tell me how to get extraction data which has the shock glove machine and switch which needs to be electrified? Im obviously supposed to charge up with shock gloves, then somehow electrify the batarang and throw it into the switch, but I just can't figure out how it works.

The
Copperhead
fight is awful.
Deadshot's
reminded me too much of the Two face fight in AC

So far I'm not seeing these "great boss fights" I've heard so much about.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Conroy's Arkham Batman came across horribly smug compared to his TAS years. Much prefer Smith's performance.

Veelk

Banned
I just beat Deathstroke.

Do you get a second fight with him? I heard all these things about how he was the best boss fight in the series and what I get is a second rate Ra's al Ghul fight.

Am I missing something?

Dave1988

I just beat Deathstroke.

Do you get a second fight with him? I heard all these things about how he was the best boss fight in the series and what I get is a second rate Ra's al Ghul fight.

Am I missing something?

You're not missing anything. People just like their "cinematic" QTE fights.

Derrick01

Banned
I wish they would come up with more boss fights like Freeze in AC. Even in AC that was the only thing like it but it encouraged some creativity and planning. I can't tell you how disappointed I get when they do a boss fight like it's any other normal fight like
Copperhead or even Shiva to a degree

I fought Deathstroke twice (having died the first time). The second time, he never once used his item on me. I wonder if it's because I used my similar item on him first that time.

Dysun

I still prefer Kevin Conroy over the Origins VA, but he wasn't bad. Just a long-time fan of Conroy's since TAS. Even if he was a bit smug and lifeless in AC

Two games full of shit bosses have tempered people's expectations. All the bosses in AO are better than those of AA and AC's except for Mr. Freeze (which felt contrived). AO's boss encounters weren't amazing, but they don't outright suck like AA Bane and Poison Ivy. They also fit into the narrative much better than the ones in AC.

I still prefer Kevin Conroy over the Origins VA, but he wasn't bad. Just a long-time fan of Conroy's since TAS. Even if he was a bit smug and lifeless in AC

I'm also a longtime fan of his, but there were too many lame deliveries and lines in AA and AC. I still remember him saying "I eat chumps like these for breakfast," in AA. A corny line like that wouldn't be bad if this were a fitting depiction of Batman, but the game overall doesn't have a 60s/Brave and the Bold vibe. As a character he seems really inconsistent in the past two games. He's kind of smug and assholish, but not in a convincing way. He doesn't come across as terribly intelligent, gets duped/tricked too often and seems to be angry at weird spots in the story. Even if he were "All-Star Batman & Robin" Batman, that'd be better since he's at least well-defined.

Imbarkus

I wish they would come up with more boss fights like Freeze in AC. Even in AC that was the only thing like it but it encouraged some creativity and planning. I can't tell you how disappointed I get when they do a boss fight like it's any other normal fight like

Just wait, you'll enjoy
the final Bane fight.

Two games full of shit bosses have tempered people's expectations. All the bosses in AO are better than those of AA and AC's except for Mr. Freeze (which felt contrived). AO's boss encounters weren't amazing, but they don't outright suck like AA Bane and Poison Ivy.

Don't forget AA Killer Croc!

Don't forget AA Killer Croc!

I feel bad for anyone who figured out you could just crouch walk through that, because it removed any and all intensity from the who sequence.

It was great that AO's Croc bio actually addresses the fact that Croc must have been part of a genetic experiment of some sort. AA/AC only said he had a skin condition which is hilarious.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
You can't mention how bad the AA bosses are and not mention the final Joker fight. The way you actually hurt him is so incredibly stupid I can't believe it actually made it into the game.

I feel bad for anyone who figured out you could just crouch walk through that, because it removed any and all intensity from the who sequence.

It was great that AO's Croc bio actually addresses the fact that Croc must have been part of a genetic experiment of some sort. AA/AC only said he had a skin condition which is hilarious.
Canonically, it's kind of weird that in AA
Batman had no choice but to run away from Croc and drop him into an explosive trap
, while in AO
Batman can just punch him out with Beatdown.
Remember, this was supposed to take place before he
punches out a shark.

Boss figths overall for me so far have been very forgetful. They're all just rinse and repeat for 3 times and then finished

Top Bottom