• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

What's the general consensus on the combat in this game?

I've played about six hours and find it to be the worst of the three. They just throw too much at you, and the general rhythm of the fights seems to be off. I heard they sped it up, but I think they tinkered with it more than that. The flow is just not the same.

Huh?

Neo Member

I've played about six hours and find it to be the worst of the three. They just throw too much at you, and the general rhythm of the fights seems to be off. I heard they sped it up, but I think they tinkered with it more than that. The flow is just not the same.

I'm right at the end and I agree with you that something's off about it. It might be a glitch, because I've seen some videos of people doing challenge maps in which they do things that never work for me, plus at one point during a boss fight one of my quickfire gadgets just stopped working altogether. I wasn't bad at AC so I don't think I'm just totally inept at the game, either. It's definitely impacted my enjoyment overall.

Zukuu

Banned
Is there a site that features the artworks you can unlock in the game? I forgot to take a look upon completing the game and already sold my copy. :X
AC had some awesome artworks, and I want to see them badly.

Not sure I like Baker's Joker. Sometimes he sounds spot on and other times his accent seems to change on certain words like he's forcing it a bit too much. He almost sounds British/Irish in the same sentence

Double D

By chance is anyone playing this on PC with a Dualshock 4 connected via Bluetooth? If so, can you tell me where you dumped the x360ce file? I'm trying to follow the instructions in the other thread but x360ce crashes whenever I try to run it.

Personally, I feel like there's something a bit "off" about them, compared to AC's fights. I can't quite put my finger on what that might be, though.

Canonically, it's kind of weird that in AA
Batman had no choice but to run away from Croc and drop him into an explosive trap
, while in AO
Batman can just punch him out with Beatdown.
Remember, this was supposed to take place before he
punches out a shark.

Croc's AO bio suggests that he's continually mutating for an unknown reason. That could be why he's gotten so powerful by the time AA takes place.

I think they just increased the rate at which enemies attack without adjusting anything else. It makes for some intense moments, but overall it makes the combat more focused on countering and avoiding attacks than controlling large groups.

It was much more satisfying for me in AC while still being a decent challenge. I don't mind enemies attack more frequently, but it doesn't seem to have been balanced for at all. If the series' developers continue to go this route, more actions needs to be cancel-able, or the player needs to be able to counter during any other action.

Veelk

Banned
Canonically, it's kind of weird that in AA
Batman had no choice but to run away from Croc and drop him into an explosive trap
, while in AO
Batman can just punch him out with Beatdown.
Remember, this was supposed to take place before he
punches out a shark.
Sharks are pretty sensitive around the nose area. It's actually the best way to fend off an attack if you can manage it. And croc is a LOT bigger in aa and ac

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
This is a lie and I don't know why it continues to be perpetuated. The fight in question here is nothing like Freeze. None of the fights in Arkham Origins are anything like Freeze.

I honestly don't know what you mean. The mechanics seemed very similar.

Personally, I feel like there's something a bit "off" about them, compared to AC's fights. I can't quite put my finger on what that might be, though.

It seemed like there were more gaps in the timing between attacks I could counter, as if the timing was adjusted to force me back to regular strikes more often, so that chaining counters failed more often.

I felt it too but I never felt I got super good at AC combat, for whatever reason. I would flub it here too, for different reasons.

It was much more satisfying for me in AC while still being a decent challenge. I don't mind enemies attack more frequently, but it doesn't seem to have been balanced for at all. If the series' developers continue to go this route, more actions needs to be cancel-able, or the player needs to be able to counter during any other action.

This right here is the problem for me. I don't remember in past games getting hit so many times when I've already started another animation. They need to make you be able to cancel out of things. Since the enemy aggression is higher, there are times where I do a move that is perfect for that situation -- but then an enemy will attack out of nowhere and literally be faster than Batman, hitting me and interrupting my combo. This seemed to happen much less in past games, and it's pretty frustrating as it is now.

I'm not either because he really overdid his batman voice. How batman sounds in this game is really how Bale should have sounded.

To be fair I believe his voice in TDK and TDKR was digitally altered to sound deeper and raspier, that's why it sounds different from Batman Begins where it was much better and more subdued while still being cool. I still don't get why Nolan did that.

So according to the Batman AO wiki the game is set five years before AA.

Very short time period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_Arkham_Origins

I think Eric Holmes implied on Twitter a few weeks ago that that's not true. The game doesn't specify how long before AA it is, I'm guessing so they can be flexible in case they want to make sequels to this.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I've spent a ton of time in the challenge rooms for AC and they've changed quite a few things but the biggest for me is that in City no matter what you were doing, no matter how far into an attack you were, you could always still counter an opponents incoming attack. In AO if you're in the middle of an attack and the computer ques up for a hit, there goes your combo.
They've just added too much shit IMO such as tokens, the rage of the gods (electric glove) the knife counter, which they now force you to use on padded enemies wielding blades, the Kung fu fuckers with multi counters, the brutes that require you to remove their armor before they'll take damage etc, etc. All of this shit, on top of the old shit all while new glitches are constantly fucking with you like Batman missing his target in congested areas, the camera rotating without any input and of course the aforementioned narrowing of the counter window.
Not a fan. Hopefully Rocksteady will make things right.

Lima

I've spent a ton of time in the challenge rooms for AC and they've changed quite a few things but the biggest for me is that in City no matter what you were doing, no matter how far into an attack you were, you could always still counter an opponents incoming attack. In AO if you're in the middle of an attack and the computer ques up for a hit, there goes your combo.

You can still counter while you are doing a normal attack. They only made the stun and ground pound less cheap. You are not invincible during the animation anymore and they take longer to execute which coupled with the more aggressive enemies results in much tighter combat scenarios where you really have to think about whether you can pull a certain move.

Like it or not, this was a change for the better. The system now requires more skill and planning and is immensely more enjoyable once you master it.

Xux

Wait, you can do take downs to instantly knock out dudes? Huh, that would've made NG+ and all those dozens of trophies in AC a little easier, lol.

Huh?

Neo Member
You can still counter while you are doing a normal attack. They only made the stun and ground pound less cheap. You are not invincible during the animation anymore and they take longer to execute which coupled with the more aggressive enemies results in much tighter combat scenarios where you really have to think about whether you can pull a certain move.

Like it or not, this was a change for the better. The system now requires more skill and planning and is immensely more enjoyable once you master it.

How do you suggest mastering it, then? I'd love for it all to click with me, but it's been very frustrating and I didn't even use the ground pound or the cape stun that much in City, I've been forced to use the latter in Origins far more because of the frequency of armored or shielded enemies.

kurahadol

I'm right at the end and I agree with you that something's off about it. It might be a glitch, because I've seen some videos of people doing challenge maps in which they do things that never work for me, plus at one point during a boss fight one of my quickfire gadgets just stopped working altogether. I wasn't bad at AC so I don't think I'm just totally inept at the game, either. It's definitely impacted my enjoyment overall.
Totally agree with the combat flow being off. There's always something that goes wrong that seems like it's never my fault. Camera angles, not responding to inputs, attacks that can be counted being far too quick or reaching way too far, etc. It almost feels like they just took the system, copy and pasted it, then changed a few numbers.

I'm only about half way through the game, but it feels like it's missing something, especially gameplay wise. I like it, don't get me wrong, but it's easily the weakest of the three.

There's something off with the large environments as well, it just doesn't flow well as a total area. It tried to do what AC did, and it's a lot like it, but some of the environments and the gliding/fast grapple feels off. It's hard to put to words but it simply doesn't feel right. In all honesty, it has given me a craving to play through AA again, just to appreciate the small but well thought out environments.

merrick97

Banned
They've just added too much shit IMO such as tokens, the rage of the gods (electric glove) the knife counter, which they now force you to use on padded enemies wielding blades, the Kung fu fuckers with multi counters, the brutes that require you to remove their armor before they'll take damage etc, etc. All of this shit, on top of the old shit all while new glitches are constantly fucking with you like Batman missing his target in congested areas, the camera rotating without any input and of course the aforementioned narrowing of the counter window.
Not a fan. Hopefully Rocksteady will make things right.

I have been BIG TIME advocating that they tweak the combat. The camera is in fights is one giant bundle of misery.

I fucking hate it. It seems to have a mind of its own and it zooms in way too close to Batman such that you can't see half of the enemies you need to counter.

There is a post on the official page where they talk about the combat frustrations.

I don't mind the combat being a little tougher than AC, but it needs to be tweaked so that the camera and cheap tactics aren't your biggest enemy.

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Sup...-developers-regarding-combat/m-p/14949#U14949

Veelk

Banned
Okay, the game might have glitched out on me or something. I just beat Penguin and his boat and left and am back in gotham. But I have no idea where to go. There is no objective marker and all it says is to "Locate Black Mask."

The fuck am I suppose to do?

merrick97

Banned

You're full of crap. Im sorry. The system is not masterful or requiring of more skill.

YOU CAN'T COUNTER WHAT YOU CAN'T SEE. The game has TOO many moments of that caused by a bullshit camera. It got to where I HATED encountering goons.

If you want the PERFECT example of where the combat/camera flaws rear their ugly head in the worst possible way go into the enigma tower in Amusement Mile. There is a part where you have to face several goons in a tight hallway with an electric fence. That part was a nightmare.

Having said that I did finally figure out that the game seems to put a heavy emphasis on freeflow focus.

Rnr1224

Im still having trouble unlocking the batman one million suit for PC. Ive logged into my WBID account on both the single player and multiplayer and it still has not unlocked. is there anything im missing?

Also, whats the consensus on if the seasons pass is worth it or not? ive seen that its mostly skins for now but will the future content justify the price?

Huh?

Neo Member
I have been BIG TIME advocating that they tweak the combat. The camera is in fights is one giant bundle of misery.

I fucking hate it. It seems to have a mind of its own and it zooms in way too close to Batman such that you can't see half of the enemies you need to counter.

There is a post on the official page where they talk about the combat frustrations.

I don't mind the combat being a little tougher than AC, but it needs to be tweaked so that the camera and cheap tactics aren't your biggest enemy.

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Sup...-developers-regarding-combat/m-p/14949#U14949

I really hope they do something, because it really has made me more frustrated with the game overall. They should also really make it so you don't need to do a NG+ if you beat the game without completing all the predator challenges.

bryanee

Yeah the camera in combat in this Arkham can be quite terrible at times. It just wouldn't stop moving into the most arkward of angles for a lot of the fights in smaller areas and does indeed stop you from seeing whats coming at times.

The combat becomes really easy once you get THAT piece of equipment. Cheapens the whole thing. I rarely used anything other than counter and regular attacks in this game, in the other two games I'd mix it up and use everything at my disposal.

TDLink

Okay, the game might have glitched out on me or something. I just beat Penguin and his boat and left and am back in gotham. But I have no idea where to go. There is no objective marker and all it says is to "Locate Black Mask."

The fuck am I suppose to do?

There is an indicator on the map you're probably just overlooking. IIRC, it's in South Gotham at Lacey Tower.

it has given me a craving to play through AA again, just to appreciate the small but well thought out environments.
After beating AO and clamoring for more Batman, I did this. AA has always remained my favorite of the three. Playing through it again reaffirms that notion. However, it being the first game in the series is very much felt throughout. AC and AO improved upon the formula so well in all aspects. Though that is not to say that AA didn't set a great standard.

Also, going back to AA, I think it bears mentioning that it is still a gorgeous game. AO does outdo it, but I expected it to be a little more dated. And I am going by memory here, but I remember AC being a little disappointing, graphically. Like they were stretching the limits of the console memory and cut back on textures and geometry. I could be wrong, again going by memory. Also, all of my opinions/statements above are for the 360 versions of the game.

Huh?

Neo Member
Arkham Asylum's a great game, but when I last played it after beating City for the first time it was kind of frustrating having so few combat options in comparison to City.

merrick97

Banned
Yeah the camera in combat in this Arkham can be quite terrible at times. It just wouldn't stop moving into the most arkward of angles for a lot of the fights in smaller areas and does indeed stop you from seeing whats coming at times.

The combat becomes really easy once you get THAT piece of equipment. Cheapens the whole thing. I rarely used anything other than counter and regular attacks in this game, in the other two games I'd mix it up and use everything at my disposal.

I absolutely refused to use "that weapon" Not once towards the end of the game did I touch it.

I found that the best way to get through the combat was to use freeflow focus.

Veelk

Banned
There is an indicator on the map you're probably just overlooking. IIRC, it's in South Gotham at Lacey Tower.

Yeah, that's what I remember the dialogue saying, but I have no marker on my map. I combed through it several times. Can you tell me what district Lacey tower is suppose to be in?

Not sure if it's just me or not, but is there pretty much nothing of much importance to do after the story? I did a few side things, but most of the stuff left on the map is things that need to be destroyed or disabled or whatever. If I destroy all of the penguins caches for instance, does that lead to actual encounters with the penguin outside of what has happened much earlier in the story?

I hope that's the case. :)

benjammin

Yeah, that's what I remember the dialogue saying, but I have no marker on my map. I combed through it several times. Can you tell me what district Lacey tower is suppose to be in?

Coventry. This happened to me too and I had no marker. Accidentally fast traveled to Coventry and it drops you off right at Lacey tower

Nif

My only issue with the combat was a bug(?) where I'd occasionally lose combo meter after stunning and knocking down shielded enemies. I don't remember that happening in previous games.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm pretty damn disappointed they won't let us play as (MID GAME spoiler)
the Joker in the challenge mode. He was a blast to play during the Blackgate therapy session. Plus the bit with the Red Hood was awesome.

Zukuu

Banned
Not sure if it's just me or not, but is there pretty much nothing of much importance to do after the story? I did a few side things, but most of the stuff left on the map is things that need to be destroyed or disabled or whatever. If I destroy all of the penguins caches for instance, does that lead to actual encounters with the penguin outside of what has happened much earlier in the story?

I hope that's the case. :)

Some side quests do lead to new areas and boss encounters. That particular one doesn't afair.
It unlocks a new ability tho.

Sullichin

By chance is anyone playing this on PC with a Dualshock 4 connected via Bluetooth? If so, can you tell me where you dumped the x360ce file? I'm trying to follow the instructions in the other thread but x360ce crashes whenever I try to run it.

I'm playing with DualShock 4 through USB, file would go in the same place though
Batman Arkham Origins/SinglePlayer/Binaries/Win32

graboids

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK OFF.

After having no issues with glitches and bugs I turn on my 360 just now to carry on my save with hours of gameplay on it and I'm greeted with CORRUPT SAVE in the save file.

I am fucking pissed.

Just had this happen to me... I'm done, loved the game but not enough to replay all of that again... This also happened to me in Arkham City, but I had already finished the game and was doing Riddler trophies... this one hurts more I think.

Dysun

I've been replaying Arkham City since finishing Origins, and god damn it's so much more polished. Performance on the PS3 took a massive hit with Origins
Still the story is much less enjoyable than Origins, and just as scatter-shot as I remembered

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Am I missing something or can you not complete Dark Knight System stuff in the training room? Pretty sure I just satisfied the conditions for Worst Nightmare: Level 7, but it didn't unlock. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get further in the Worst Nightmare track when all the predator encounters are finished in the story mode, and unlike past games, the rooms don't repopulate with enemies.

H2Yo

I'm roughly ~50% through the game and I'm yet to experience any bugs which is why I am totally baffled that Polygon would give the game a 4/10.

Derrick01

Banned
Oh man, that entire
hotel
level. That was some intense stuff and the story parts right after it was great. This really is on a whole different level from the past 2 games. Games like this should really start exploring darker themes more often.

Penguin

This is a minor pet peeve

But what was the point of getting new actors.. to basically do imitations of the actors they already had?

ezekial45

Banned
Oh man, that entire
hotel
level. That was some intense stuff and the story parts right after it was great. This really is on a whole different level from the past 2 games. Games like this should really start exploring darker themes more often.

Yes, that part was pretty fantastic. I just wished the other areas could match that presentation.

Top Bottom