• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman R.I.P.: an Official Thread for Speculation, Discussion, and "OMGWTF" Hysteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snaku

Banned
SanjuroTsubaki said:
Are you guys dense? Retarded? No discussion after the best issue of the run so far!?

Posted my thoughts in the weekly comic book thread. Forgot there was a RIP thread. :lol

ZUR EN ARRH!!

I'm still trying to process all that's going on, it's insanity. For instance, did anyone else catch
Caligula's reference to Bat-Mite during the torture scene?
I mean, WTF was that?

Sanjuro

Spike Spiegel said:
I'm still trying to process all that's going on, it's insanity. For instance, did anyone else catch
I mean, WTF was that?
I am as well. This is the first book in "Batman" to finally set the tone for things to come. As far as the reference goes I have no clue. If your trying to make sense of it look who the reference is directed towards to begin with!

Spike Spiegel said:
I mean, WTF was that?

Well, all he says is "what's that behind you?" Could have been anything, but I guess that's what he's meant to have seen. Also, I'm a little disappointed they glossed over Zur En Arrh Bats actually beating him. Would have been nice to show the lengths to which his failsafe would go to preserve him.

Anybody else notice there's something crawling over Mite's back? You can kind of see a face there in the gargoyle scene, and he's always got insect legs wrapping around him now.

FoneBone

Spike Spiegel said:
I mean, WTF was that?
It's still really, really ambiguous (what's with the mirror?), but Bat-Mite being real was also very heavily implied last issue.

Snaku

Banned
LiveFromKyoto said:
Anybody else notice there's something crawling over Mite's back? You can kind of see a face there in the gargoyle scene, and he's always got insect legs wrapping around him now.

Oh shit, there is something on Mite's back! o_0

Ephemeris

I recommend you guys read [or re-read] these:

Batman #667 "The Island of Mister Mayhew" - attending a meeting of the International Club of Heroes, Batman and Robin find themselves caught up in a murder mystery that ultimately could claim their own lives as well. After trapping them on a billionaire's private island, someone is killing off members of the Club, men inspired by Batman to don costumes and fight crime. Is the killer one of their own? How will they escape the island? And who is the mastermind behind this attack, the mysterious Black Glove?

Soo good. And very relevant to what's currently going on in R.I.P; which makes it more tasty. I was a little impressed by the concept of the Black Glove when I first read the above issues, but reading the current stuff and then re-reading it made me appreciate the COV even more.

You are losing. Shall we raise the stakes gentlemen? We have your children. Advantage -- Evil.

With that said gentlemen, my current theory right now is that Doctor Hurt
isn't the Black Glove
. Furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised if
Mangrove Pierce
is the
doctor hurt
we've been seeing in addition to also being the guy on the monitor in 667.

Then there's the Black and Red theme going on. . . .

GCQuinton

MisterHero said:
what happened to nightwing

i haven't got the issue yet

In his book, he came back to Gotham to do a "favor" for Two-Face by making sure this girl/lover of his made it court to testify against someone in one piece. He saved her two in both attempts to take her out, but the second time left him bleeding out. That's where the book ended. It probably leads to where he winds up at the beginning of RIP.

Tamanon

Banned
What if....the reason that Batman gives up the cowl after this is over is that he actually kills the Joker in the end of this, since he's basically the pure, uninhibited version of himself right now.

And then Joker can come back later as a Black Lantern:p

Ooh, or better, Robin or Nightwing TAKES the cowl from him afterwards.

Blader

Prime crotch said:
If anyone's taking the cowl it's Richard Grayson.

How come Dick is short for Richard? Never got that.

The rumor out of Comic-Con is that
Dick becomes Batman, Jason Todd becomes Red Robin, "Nightwing" is renamed "Red Robin" and one of the other Batman books (Robin I think) gets renamed "Batman and Robin."

Totz

Blader5489 said:
The rumor out of Comic-Con is that
Dick becomes Batman, Jason Todd becomes Red Robin, "Nightwing" is renamed "Red Robin" and one of the other Batman books (Robin I think) gets renamed "Batman and Robin."

That kinda sucks.

Tamanon

Banned
Unless it's a swerve, bail out from the November Batman solicits. Just don't even look at them. HUGE SPOILERS!

Alfred:(

Zabka said:
It's the latest issue, when Batman
sees the grids
You mean this?

bi0w9u.jpg

I dunno if I'd call that a rat... could just be the bug/mite thing popping up on Batmite's back again.

FoneBone

Spike Spiegel said:
You mean this?

bi0w9u.jpg

I dunno if I'd call that a rat... could just be the bug/mite thing popping up on Batmite's back again.
Also if it's a dead rat, why is it magically floating? What's with, um, certain dialogue in #678? Why has no one bothered to tell Tony Daniel?
Tony Daniel said...

Wow - I'm so happy that this issue has been so well-received. Thanks for the kind words. I will be honest, I know a lot of people are wondering if Charlie actually sees Batmite.
I drew as such (and the script written as such) so that we don't really know if Charlie sees it or not. Or if Batmite is really there at all.
If I had to make a call, I'd say he actually can see Batmite there. (He's definitely not talking about anything else behind Batman).
As for the thing behind Batmite, I don't even know what it's supposed to be. We're not supposed to get a good look at whatever it is. I have one more script to get to, where maybe I'll finally find out.

A goon came up with probably the best theory about R.I.P's objective, it's bringing Bruce Wayne back as Batman's real persona. It seems to fit with Moreison's inspirations for the Batman & Son storyline from the O'Neal runs back in the 70s.

I'm generally not a topic bumper, but there's something that's been bugging me about the latest issue, and I didn't see it covered in the annotations I've been reading or in this topic.

Batmite, whether he's real or not, has a very odd way of talking when Batman goes back to the movie theater and has his flashbacks. In pretty much every dialog balloon before and after, Batmite talks in a regular Upper case/lower case font - you know, not ALL CAPS, or a no-caps whisper. But for this one panel, wedged in between "silver bullet" and the young Bruce Wayne crying out:

2wqwcut.jpg

what the hell?

BSIG....AWWSATMDF...PDF? Is that just weirdness for the sake of weirdness, or does it have some significance? Notice how "professor milo" and "tlano" aren't properly capitalized, while "Doc Hurt" and "Batman" on the next page are.

Also, not related, but I just noticed that Batman has Charlie Caligula's head wreath tucked in his belt on the final page. Maybe the Batman of Zurr-en-arrh is building his own trophy collection?

(oh, final worry: that the fact that Morrison said the villain is somebody everyone around the world knows means it is the devil...)

GCQuinton

Just finished reading Nightwing, and it definitely appears to place this story post-R.I.P since
Two-Face mentions Nightwing making it out of Arkham, and Batman's still missing

Detective Comics was good but we've already seen
Catwoman in Final Crisis so we know she makes it. I wonder what Hush did to his face (or who he changed it to) after seeing her reaction.

Spike

Damn, I hope DC didn't spoil who will be taking the mantle of the Bat with their blurb for November's Action Comics #871!!

Just a quick question: Does the Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul have anything to do with this run?

Spike said:
Damn, I hope DC didn't spoil who will be taking the mantle of the Bat with their blurb for November's Action Comics #871!!

Just a quick question: Does the Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul have anything to do with this run?

Not that I've noticed. And who knows about the Action Comics solicitation. It could mean something. I'm loving all these shake ups in the Batman universe, but it's taking too damn long to find out. We have to go through RIP, and Final Crisis, and then possibly more to find out what's going to happen.

ToyMachine228 said:
Not that I've noticed. And who knows about the Action Comics solicitation. It could mean something. I'm loving all these shake ups in the Batman universe, but it's taking too damn long to find out. We have to go through RIP, and Final Crisis, and then possibly more to find out what's going to happen.

Those two characters mentioned are actually part of the Kandor/Krypton mythology.

Figured this thread could use bumping since Batman RIP is about to conclude about a week from now. Although the fallout will continue for months after. Anyway, here's my official prediction...Rampant speculation and or spoilers below.

Judging from the February DC solicitations and cancellations, Nightwing and Robin are both being canceled not because of sales or business issues, but because of the events of Batman RIP and Final Crisis. So my prediction is...

Bruce Wayne will "die" or most people will believe so.
In Bruce's wake, Dick Grayson (Currently Nightwing) will step up to become Batman
Tim Drake will become Red Robin one of two ways
Damian (Bruce's son) will become Robin eventually.

My speculation is that Dick will take over as Batman. It will be a struggle to fill the shoes of Batman obviously. Either Dick will not want a Robin, or Tim Drake will stay his Robin. Dick and Tim do respect each other. Struggling, somewhere in the process, Dick Grayson will be called while Batman. Dan Didio has been trying to kill Dick and Nightwing as a whole since Infinite Crisis. This is where he'll do it.

In the fallout of that, Tim Drake will (If he stays Robin to Dick) mourn the loss by going solo and becoming Red Robin. He doesn't want to watch any more people die by his side (As he thinks both Bruce and Dick lost their lives while he was Robin, and he'll take this very personally, become Red Robin, and stay solo that way.)

In the fallout of those events, Bruce Wayne will return, not actually dead, and find Gotham a mess, and Dick dead. Bruce will take Dick's death horribly as he realizes that Dick died trying to fill the shoes of Batman that he had left behind. So Bruce will again become Batman. He will make Damian his new Robin as Damian is his son and he feels he can protect his own son better than someone else who might eventually take the solo path as Dick did and Tim Drake now has.

So that leaves two characters involved in the Battle for the Cowl. Jason Todd and Hush. I don't think either one will end up with a "position" or title. They'll be involved in the "battle" but Hush will stay a villain and Jason Todd will probably just get the shaft. Writers have never liked Jason Todd and don't know how to treat him. It's a shame but I think that's what will happen.

Or, if they did want to make a move with Jason Todd, they could make him a villain since I really don't see them giving him a "hero" spot even though he brought the Red Robin concept back to Earth with him...I could see Hush messing with Jason's mind with the result being him becoming a villain. Either Hush could appeal to his sense of "Batman didn't care about me and let me die" and get him to join him, or even trick Jason since Hush currently has the face of Bruce Wayne...So he could appeal to Jason by acting like Bruce Wayne. Would definitely make for an interesting equation and be something the writers might consider since they don't seem to know how to handle him as a hero.

Done with my rampant speculation. I don't really care if it's right, I just can't wait to see how it all pans out and what get's shaken up.

According to some vague, supposed spoilers I've read on the official DC boards:

Jezebel Jet is the Black Glove. There is no big, final reveal.

Disappointing if true, but we'll see.

bathala said:
is there going to be compilation of this arc? Seems interesting from OP

Yes, there is a Batman RIP graphic novel hitting in December that will contain every issue of Batman RIP. It won't include the tie-ins like Nightwing and Robin and whatnot but you don't need them to understand RIP at all. Although this run of Nightwing that ties into RIP is definitely also worth picking up in my opinion.

Also, I'm not as interested to see who actually "is" The Black Glove, but what happens to Bruce, and The Joker at the end. And then...Final Crisis 6! Muy importante!

My guess on Black Glove is that it is not
one individual but some kind of group related to Wayne's family.

Blader5489 said:
I know I'm more excited for Gaiman's story.
The coverart sure has me hyped.
s3nc6o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom