• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman R.I.P.: an Official Thread for Speculation, Discussion, and "OMGWTF" Hysteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prime crotch said:
My guess on Black Glove is that it is not
one individual but some kind of group related to Wayne's family.

That's my guess as well.
Jezebell may be involved, but she's not the only one responsible

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I think it's interesting that even Birds of Prey is being cancelled for the Batline relaunch... its been so distanced from the batbooks lately though Joker is running around in it right now...

ZeoVGM

Banned
Father_Brain said:
According to some vague, supposed spoilers I've read on the official DC boards:

Jezebel Jet is the Black Glove. There is no big, final reveal.

Disappointing if true, but we'll see.

Kind of obvious by the end of the last issue, no?

That's great. All this huge build up and crazyness, and we get the most obvious and boring bad guy reveal possible.

woxel1

Well come on, they "revealed" Sue Dibny's killer in the penultimate issue of Identity Crisis, only to immediately turn it around in the next. We'll know when we know.

woxel1 said:
Well come on, they "revealed" Sue Dibny's killer in the penultimate issue of Identity Crisis, only to immediately turn it around in the next. We'll know when we know.

That's what I'm saying. Morrison, Daniels and Didio have been saying expect the unexpected for RIP and Final Crisis over and over and over and I think this time, they mean it. I've speculated as to what I think will happen in the Batman universe on the previous page. But I really don't think Jezebelle is the only one responsible. My guess is that The Black Glove does tie into the Wayne family and has SOMETHING to do with his parents. That's the only thing that could really permanently shake Bruce Wayne. Some revelation about his parents.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ToyMachine228 said:
That's what I'm saying. Morrison, Daniels and Didio have been saying expect the unexpected for RIP and Final Crisis over and over and over and I think this time, they mean it. I've speculated as to what I think will happen in the Batman universe on the previous page. But I really don't think Jezebelle is the only one responsible. My guess is that The Black Glove does tie into the Wayne family and has SOMETHING to do with his parents. That's the only thing that could really permanently shake Bruce Wayne. Some revelation about his parents.

It would have to be. That is pretty much the only thing about Bruce that anyone could actually go after with impunity if they wanted to break him. Bruce is pretty much unbreakable otherwise.

Did I mention how awesome the Club of Heroes arc was? That was some seriously awesome mansion murder storytelling. It had some confusing framing, but otherwise was totally awesome.

MEGA SPOILER: the Black Glove is Boss Dark Side
according to a lengthy and completely fake set of spoilers on the DC boards, lol

ZeoVGM

Banned
Tamanon said:
What if Bruce discovered that his father was really a bad guy and that's why he was killed?

That would be terrible. Like, Sandman killing Uncle Ben terrible.

You should never fuck with the classic origins. Ever.

bathala

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
Yes, there is a Batman RIP graphic novel hitting in December that will contain every issue of Batman RIP. It won't include the tie-ins like Nightwing and Robin and whatnot but you don't need them to understand RIP at all. Although this run of Nightwing that ties into RIP is definitely also worth picking up in!
Thanks i'll definetly pick this up.
Havent read Comics for awhile

If what I'm reading on the DC board is true (and it seems to be - there are page-by-page summaries of the issue, with another poster backing them up), a lot of people will be very pissed at Morrison tomorrow.

Oh, well. Maybe #682 and #683 will redeem him.

Father_Brain said:
If what I'm reading on the DC board is true (and it seems to be - there are page-by-page summaries of the issue, with another poster backing them up), a lot of people will be very pissed at Morrison tomorrow.

Tomorrow?

Ha! Welcome to GAF, let me show you around.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Tomorrow?

Ha! Welcome to GAF, let me show you around.

OK, I meant "a lot of people who aren't currently pissed at Morrison."

I'm wondering if DiDio is also to blame for this. One of the key scenes (
the "reveal" of Hurt's true identity
) smacks of editorial interference.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Father_Brain said:

Oh, well. Maybe #682 and #683 will redeem him.

Wow. Yeah, I have a feeling between this and Final Crisis and the changes to Superman, even a lot of the DC diehards aren't going to be too happy.

Bleh.

omg rite said:
Wow. Yeah, I have a feeling between this and Final Crisis and the changes to Superman, even a lot of the DC diehards aren't going to be too happy.

Bleh.

New X-Men all over again.

It's a beautiful day.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I hope work is really slow and closes down early for Thanksgiving tomorrow, so I can get to the shop earlier. :lol

Blader

The temptation to read that spoiler is growing...

I've only been going along with RIP's insanity because I held out hope that it would all come together brilliantly in the end; that's pretty much been my experience with every Morrison comic, except for maybe Seven Soldiers. If the ending is fucked up in a bad way, I'll be hugely disappointed.

And if a key scene in the issue does smack of editorial influence, like another poster said, then there could well be some truth to the rumors of DiDio forcing Morrison to rewrite the ending to Final Crisis (wouldn't be surprising either, since FC has apparently gone through a lot of rewrites already).

Well, the New York Times didn't spoil everything that happens in the issue... just enough to confirm what's been posted on the DC boards.

SPOILERS

When you title a Batman comic book storyline “R.I.P.,” it’s understandable if readers worry about the fate of the Gotham City hero. The story’s final chapter, in Batman No. 681, written by Grant Morrison and illustrated by Tony Daniel, arrives in stores on Wednesday. It features a scene in which Batman
is caught in a helicopter crash and only his cowl is recovered.
But that’s all part of the plan by DC Comics, which has devised several months of stories without the caped crusader. “You realize in their absence how valuable the character is,” said Dan DiDio, DC’s senior vice president and executive editor.
“Bruce Wayne will always be back as Batman someday.”

JayDubya

Banned
Blader5489 said:
I've only been going along with RIP's insanity because I held out hope that it would all come together brilliantly in the end; that's pretty much been my experience with every Morrison comic, except for maybe Seven Soldiers.

Guessing you didn't read New X-Men, because that was a stupid mess at the end.

Blader

JayDubya said:
Guessing you didn't read New X-Men, because that was a stupid mess at the end.

No, I've read the New X-Men, but it was actually the ending that made me realize how brilliant the whole thing was.

ToyMachine228 said:
OK, so hold up one second...We don't know for sure who is Batman during Final Crisis correct? Or do we?

http://comics.ign.com/articles/902/902992p6.html

IGN Comics: So a number of Post-RIP Batman projects were announced at San Diego Comic Con, including Neil Gaimans two-part story. Are you involved at all with the planning of those projects?

Morrison: The two-part Final Crisis tie-in I'm doing to follow RIP is a kind of trek through Batman's entire history, but otherwise I'm not involved with the post-RIP projects. I'm very excited to see what Neil does. Then there's the "Battle for the Cowl," which I'm not writing, although I do know who wins. Then after that, I'm back on Batman and I'm sure there will be a big announcement about what that's going to be like.

Once you see what happens to Batman in Final Crisis, you'll realize how the Battle for the Cowl comes about. First its RIP, and we'll see how that winds up for Batman. Then the two-parter I mentioned goes through Batman's whole career, in a big summing up of everything that also ties directly into Final Crisis. And Final Crisis is where we see the final fate of Batman.

IGN Comics: So the Batman we see in Final Crisis is Bruce Wayne?

Morrison: Yeah, Bruce Wayne is Batman. But not necessarily how you know him. I don't want to blow the end of RIP. [laughs]

And those #681 spoilers I referenced earlier? Completely, 100% legit. I warned you!

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
A two part Batman FC tie in? HELL YEAH!!!

I'll get the RIP trade to see what the fuss is all about.

EDIT :

From the article linked in the post above :

GN Comics: You've done a lot of that with stuff like Invisibles and We3. You definitely plan to get back to the creator-owned work?

Morrison: Yeah, I've got a new Vertigo book that's being drawn as we speak and two more getting off the ground. So as of next year, I won't be in Wizard's Top Ten anymore, I'll be that weird Vertigo guy again. [laughs]

:D :D :D :D

ZeoVGM

Banned
Father_Brain said:
http://comics.ign.com/articles/902/902992p6.html

And those #681 spoilers I referenced earlier? Completely, 100% legit. I warned you!

Fucking terrible. Seriously?

When Cap died, it felt permanent even though we all know eventually, Steve will be back. This just feels really forced, as if they're just going to change the Bat-books for a year, then bring Bruce back.

It doesn't help that after the delayed drawn out story called R.I.P., he goes "out" in a
helicopter crash where it's made very obvious he could have escaped
? That's a cop out. I'd rather not blame Morrison either. It makes me happier to blame all R.I.P. and FC stuff on Didio.

From another comics forum I read:

d00gz said:
This is seriously the angriest I've ever been as a comics fan. I feel like I just had five hours of sex with Megan Fox and then she drugged me with heroin and left me in a gutter before I could come.

:lol :lol :lol I'm pretty disappointed too, but at least the reactions to the promise-breaking debacle that is #681 are guaranteed to be entertaining!

Father_Brain said:
From another comics forum I read:

:lol :lol :lol I'm pretty disappointed too, but at least the reactions to the promise-breaking debacle that is #681 are guaranteed to be entertaining!
Oh fuck, the guy who does the anotations hated it? This seems....bad to say the least.

The only thing I'm disappointed with is how Didio and others keep running their mouths and saying stuff like "Oh don't worry, you know Bruce will be Batman again eventually." and spoiling the whole thing. Sure, we would all be thinking that, but if we didn't KNOW that it would make everything a lot more intense.

Regardless, looking forward to picking up the last issue of RIP today and REALLY looking forward to Final Crisis #6 to see the "fate" of Batman.

bob_arctor said:
Good to hear. Haven't read it yet but I trust you. :D

It's basically the end of the story Moz started. I'm sure fanboys are up in arms because DC has tied all this other tie-in junk to it (Nightwing books, Jason Todd books, Robin books, etc). It holds no bearing or relation to any other adjacent storylines. I'm sure it will have an inevitable impact, but since I don't think Moz is writing it, the whole Bat-Line can choke on laughing fish for all I care. It's been Dixon-Fried for years now.

FoneBone

BenjaminBirdie said:
It's basically the end of the story Moz started. I'm sure fanboys are up in arms because DC has tied all this other tie-in junk to it (Nightwing books, Jason Todd books, Robin books, etc). It holds no bearing or relation to any other adjacent storylines.
I've read this five times, and I almost have to wonder if you're somehow intoxicated while posting this. What on earth do the tie-ins have to do with any frustration over the ending not living up to its hype? Did this make sense in your head somehow?

FoneBone said:
I've read this five times, and I almost have to wonder if you're somehow intoxicated while posting this. What on earth do the tie-ins have to do with any frustration over the ending not living up to its hype? Did this make sense in your head somehow?

Because intrinsic in that hype was a redefinition of all the rest of the books in the line? Which this story has no interest in impacting?

DC is a huge fucking mess right now. For example, from what I see, there's like five simultaneous Superman stories going on right now. (Superman Comics, Final Crisis, Trinity, Superman/Batman, Tangent: Superman's Reign.)

How is that even possible? Which is considered canon?

Characters should only be involved in one storyline at a time.

lunarworks said:
DC is a huge fucking mess right now. For example, from what I see, there's like five simultaneous Superman stories going on right now. (Superman Comics, Final Crisis, Trinity, Superman/Batman, Tangent: Superman's Reign.)

How is that even possible? Which is considered canon?

Characters should only be involved in one storyline at a time.

Whaaat? Welcome to comics for forever.

I'm actually impressed that they're bothering to keep Action, Superman, and Supergirl tied together. S/B usually falls under the idea of "Vaguely Taking Place In The Recent Past". Final Crisis takes place after pretty much everything going on currently, including Trinity. Tangent? Who the hell knows about that.

Zabka

What the fuck was that nonsense? Cheesy as hell, right down to the
villain gloating in his getaway copter, his #1 henchman shows up out of nowhere as the helicopter pilot, while the hero jumps on at the last second and forces it to crash

Edited to add that I don't see how this fits in with
the "6 Months Later..." at the beginning of the first RIP issue,
but that may be saved until after Battle for the Cowl.

Zabka said:
What the fuck was that nonsense? Cheesy as hell, right down to the
villain gloating in his getaway copter, his #1 henchman shows up out of nowhere as the helicopter pilot, while the hero jumps on at the last second and forces it to crash

Edited to add that I don't see how this fits in with
the "6 Months Later..." at the beginning of the first RIP issue,
but that may be saved until after Battle for the Cowl.

The second to last scene is directly analogous to that first page. It's probably happening right outside that warehouse, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom