• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

Brainiac would be a great first villain. I always thought an interesting route would be to do the Justice league intro episode with Brainiac instead of those weird white glob things. Also, I need Geoff Johns Swollniac:
ActionComics_Gary_Frank_Brainiac.jpg

Also, have him have Supergirl and Krypto in a bottle until they're freed.

Because I want Supergirl and Krypto
Brainiac having Supergirl in suspended animation before she's rescued by the League would be a great way to introduce her.

2863897-mongul.jpg

Please expand your films with Galaxy stories

Mongul would be great too. He could capture the League (or what will become the League by the end of the film) and try to force them to fight in Warworld's arena. They rally together, stop Warworld and Mongul, save the world, and go out for sushi (as opposed to the Avengers' shawarma).

Blader

Rumor: No Darkseid until Justice League 2

Grain of salt as always, but if this pans out...I approve.

Doomsday then? There have been a ton of rumors around Doomsday, and it does kinda make sense as a villain that Superman would need help in defeating. It would also tie-in neatly with BvS if he's created by Lex.

Not that I think they'd go the Death of Superman route (or if they did, it'd be a fake-out death, rather than a legit resurrection deal).

Doomsday then? There have been a ton of rumors around Doomsday, and it does kinda make sense as a villain that Superman would need help in defeating. It would also tie-in neatly with BvS if he's created by Lex.

Not that I think they'd go the Death of Superman route (or if they did, it'd be a fake-out death, rather than a legit resurrection deal).

Doomsday without the death of Superman? That's like a 10 minute fight unless Lex is the actual villain

ReiGun

I'd really rather it not be Doomsday on account of him being fucking terrible, but I suppose he is also a viable option.

Blader

Doomsday without the death of Superman? That's like a 10 minute fight unless Lex is the actual villain

Well I mean Doomsday would beat him pretty bloody, which would prompt the other heroes to step in later. Depending on how BvS ends, maybe Batman even helps Supes fake his death in the initial fight so that they can regroup or something.

Penguin

My favorite summation of Doomsday is from JLU

Superman: I know who you are, but I'm not the one who hurt you.
Doomsday: Superman is Superman, and I will kill you.
Superman: Why?
Doomsday: It's what I am. I don't care why.

Maybe it'll be....

Lex has Batman and Superman beefing, Lex then unleashes Doomsday, Batman and Superman team up, take him out, form the Justice League afterwords, then the Lex/Brainiac cliffhanger drops setting up the first JL movie.

What did people think of:

iUuTTxi.jpg

?

What did I think? I really, really liked it. Thought it was interesting how the league assembled in a night and kind of the interactions between the characters as they start to team up. Kind of felt like they were going for that 'epic' live action feeling.

iUuTTxi.jpg

?

What did I think? I really, really liked it. Thought it was interesting how the league assembled in a night and kind of the interactions between the characters as they start to team up. Kind of felt like they were going for that 'epic' live action feeling.

Wonder Woman's, Superman's, and Green Lantern's characterization was ass.

Aquaman's trident > crowbar

Nu52 designs were very poorly adapted

Steve Blum is not a good Darkseid

Magwik

Banned

iUuTTxi.jpg

?

I thought it was pretty mediocre.

Wonder Woman's, Superman's, and Green Lantern's characterization was ass.

Aquaman's trident > crowbar

Nu52 designs were very poorly adapted

Yeah I thought it was a step down to how they represented her in Wonder Woman. Was she meant to be a teenager? When she pointed that sword at the ice cream dealer...

Siegcram

Everyone in JLA: War was an arrogant dickhead, with GL being the worst as usual.

And the plot made no sense whatsoever, but managed to be boring and full of continuity errors at the same time. Plus that forced WW/Supes romance. Ugh.

ReiGun

ZOMG Superman destroys the entire city, reckless idiot. Snyder you talentless hack you ruined everything.
What's especially great is that that fight starts purely because of Superman being a dick, whereas in MoS he was trying to save the world.

iUuTTxi.jpg

?

It had some nice comedic moments and decent fight scenes. On the other hand, the characterization for the League was terrible save Cyborg and Shazam and the story was so barebones and uninteresting.

do you think we will get a shot equal to this in Justice League :p

GorgeousHighLcont.gif
Not that exact shot, but a big moment of all the League standing together? Hell yes.

Knowing Synder, it'll be a recreation of some comic book cover.

Penguin

iUuTTxi.jpg

?

So so on it

Go for big action
Not much on character development

Though hope one aspect they kind of keep, the team forms out of necessity, and not necessarily being forced together like The Avengers

I think I responded mostly to how it was a "one night" kinda deal like Die Hard, and how they adapted their origins to that. Felt very accessible to newcomers, which made me think of the film thread. Makes me think of in Avengers - barring Banner meeting Cap - the guys come across each other on a single night. Cap gets Loki, Iron Man intervenes, Thor intervenes again. I could seeing them doing this kind of play in Justice League, if they have the balls to just go with a world where metahumans are the norm.

And although I'm pretty casual on comics, I felt like their personalities were designed to seem very amateurish and cocky. They hadn't matured as a unit yet. Green Lantern seemed most bizarre in that respect though.

Maybe it'll be....

Lex has Batman and Superman beefing, Lex then unleashes Doomsday, Batman and Superman team up, take him out, form the Justice League afterwords, then the Lex/Brainiac cliffhanger drops setting up the first JL movie.

If that's the route they choose Metallo is cleaner than Doomsday. You can link Metallo to Brainiac and to Cyborg.

Penguin

I think I responded mostly to how it was a "one night" kinda deal like Die Hard, and how they adapted their origins to that. Felt very accessible to newcomers, which made me think of the film thread. Makes me think of in Avengers - barring Banner meeting Cap - the guys come across each other on a single night. Cap gets Loki, Iron Man intervenes, Thor intervenes again. I could seeing them doing this kind of play in Justice League, if they have the balls to just go with a world where metahumans are the norm.

For some reason thought the movie was a couple of days, well from beginning to end at least two days.

But feel like it is a couple of days, and maybe a single day from when they capture Loki to the end

jackdoe

Justice League War and the Justice League arc that it adapts are incredibly weak stories and I hope that they don't adapt that particular story for the movie. What I do hope that the movie takes inspiration from are the Grant Morrison JLA stories. Now those were great fun. And I'll admit that I would be disappointed if we don't have something like the "He's only one man" scene from the White Martian arc.

And although I'm pretty casual on comics, I felt like their personalities were designed to seem very amateurish and cocky. They hadn't matured as a unit yet. Green Lantern seemed most bizarre in that respect though.

DC characters kind of don't work as amateur and cocky barring Shazam, who is a teenager. You have:

Superman, who grew up getting used to his powers his whole life and keeping himself in check.
Wonder Woman, who is a freaking Amazon Warrior in charge of an entire island of badass female warriors
Green Lantern, a military fighter pilot tasked with patrolling an entire sector of the galaxy with his ring that can do anything
Batman, who goes without saying
Flash is a forensic scientist who moves faster than the speed of light
Aquaman rules an entire kingdom
Cyborg is a technical genius

If they aren't competent, it kind of breaks their characters. Not seeing eye to eye? sure. But not dumbasses.

ReiGun

That's normally how superhero teams form. A bunch of heroes respond to an emergency, decide they work well together, and do it again when the need arises. In the case of JLA, I rather like it in Origins when they all basically bump into each other and stubbornly insist until the very end that they are not a team. I think that kind of lighthearted tension works well for a first outing.

Also, let Lois be the one that names them "The Justice League." You already missed having her name Superman; don't drop the ball again.

Penguin

Justice League War and the Justice League arc that it adapts are incredibly weak stories and I hope that they don't adapt that particular story for the movie. What I do hope that the movie takes inspiration from are the Grant Morrison JLA stories. Now those were great fun. And I'll admit that I would be disappointed if we don't have something like the "He's only one man" scene from the White Martian arc.

Sadly, watching/reading the arc, all I could think is this is setting them up for the movies isn't it?

Interplay/relations clearly defined between certain characters, why they are all important to the team.
And a big bad who really serves no other purpose than for them to all get a spotlight moment.

DC characters kind of don't work as amateur and cocky barring Shazam, who is a teenager. You have:

Superman, who grew up getting used to his powers his whole life and keeping himself in check.
Wonder Woman, who is a freaking Amazon Warrior in charge of an entire island of badass female warriors
Green Lantern, a military fighter pilot tasked with patrolling an entire sector of the galaxy with his ring that can do anything
Batman, who goes without saying
Flash is a forensic scientist who moves faster than the speed of light
Aquaman rules an entire kingdom
Cyborg is a technical genius

If they aren't competent, it kind of breaks their characters. Not seeing eye to eye? sure. But not dumbasses.

I think it depends
Superman, I'll grant you especially established in this universe.

Wonder Woman can be cocky feeling she is a superior warrior, which is true, but perhaps needing to learn her limits.

Hal is cocky and arrogant all at once.

Batman can be arrogant.

Flash depends on which they go with

That's normally how superhero teams form. A bunch of heroes respond to an emergency, decide they work well together, and do it again when the need arises. In the case of JLA, I rather like it in Origins when they all basically bump into each other and stubbornly insist until the very end that they are not a team. I think that kind of lighthearted tension works well for a first outing.

Also, let Lois be the one that names them "The Justice League." You already missed having her name Superman; don't drop the ball again.

Thought I was the only one who had a problem with that!
Always love when she names him :(

I always liked the idea of the super organized Justice League, with the space satellite, big round table meetings, tech and manpower overseen by civilians, creating hundreds of jobs, that sort of thing

ReiGun

Wonder Woman used to be a cocky asshole back in the Golden Age. It was great. Her response to getting captured was pretty much always "Meh..."

That'd be nice. I'd like a Super Friends callback if there's time, again from Flash.

Penguin

I always liked the idea of the super organized Justice League, with the space satellite, big round table meetings, tech and manpower overseen by civilians, creating hundreds of jobs, that sort of thing

So like me, you essentially just want a live-screen adaption of Justice League/Unlimited?

Penguin

Actually since we're talking Justice League, what would be some essentially reading.

I've done most of the New 52 run, and most of their rebranding/relaunch as JLA under Morrison, up/around issue 100 or so and then on/off after that

So like me, you essentially just want a live-screen adaption of Justice League/Unlimited?

My ideal is that BVS is the trinity, JL1 is the original 7 and JL2 could have a 5 year time skip where the league is in full effect. The amount of back-ground cameos would be amazing.

How much you guys wanna bet Martian Manhunter's existence in these movies depend entirely on how much Oreo's is willing to spend on advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom