• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup that's Clark Kent alright

clark-kent-as-a-tv-an7njon.gif

That's a good picture, man.

Penguin

Nobody on this Earth can figure out Supes is CK (except Batman and Luthor)

They are going to have a tough time explainign that.

Lois technically figured it out

And would imagine Pete has to know as well!

But totally different person, he has glasses! Doesn't part his hair! No red and blue suit.

Alienous

Nobody on this Earth can figure out Supes is CK (except Batman and Luthor)

They are going to have a tough time explainign that.

The interpretation I like best is that people simply aren't looking. Superman seems to be there, rescuing people, day and night. They just assume that Superman is Superman, all the time.

IconGrist

But totally different person, he has glasses! Doesn't part his hair! No red and blue suit.

I think it was Goyer that said there are quite a few people in Smallville that know Clark is Superman. I also think it's hinted that Perry knows as well.

Halcyon

I'm really hoping they give some characterization to clark in this. I know he has the ability to come across as likable and human(cavill) so it's gonna come down to the script I think.

The plot of the movie can be stupid as far as I'm concerned if they manage to make us like clark and bruce, and their relationship with the promise of an ongoing future between them.

I can't wait for that first trailer to be shown.

Sitting in a dark theater..holy shit...dem goosebumps.

My expectations are very low for DC movies. But I get hyped for trailers. I also know that the trailer is not the movie so I treat the two as entirely separate pieces.

Subitai

plz no joker until the third movie.

It's really hard to follow his act, I'd prefer them to go after characters that haven't been covered (well). Clayface, Freeze, Deadshot (Suicide Squad), Firefly, Hush, Court of Owls should all have a turn. A mystery film with Clayface + Hush would be amazing. I'm hesitant to throw in Deathstroke because if they ever do a Teen Titans movie, he should be theirs.
We already got him in Arrow/Flashverse.
Deadshot's_original_eyepiece.png

+1 Clayface.

We already got him in Arrow/Flashverse.
Deadshot's_original_eyepiece.png

+1 Clayface.

Yeah, but no harm in reusing the character. As good as Arrow is it still isn't so big that people would be bothered seeing him in the movie. Deathstroke will show up for sure in atleast one DC movie, Batman or Teen Titans (if that ever happens).

Some people think Clayface and Freeze are campy, but I think Clayface could be pulled off well if they tone down his powers and emphasize his ability to change forms, and then leave the big reveal that he is actually clayface at the end and then they can go crazy. Something similar to AC.

Gonzalez

Banned
Every little morsel of pictures from the BvS set has got me wet in all the funny places right now. Unlike AoU's set pictures with their bargain basement Shockmaster.

Sephzilla

Despite feeling overall sorta lackluster about MoS, the trailer is the best trailer ever made.

The crescendo as Supes flies across the planet into space gives me goosebumps every time.

I think it's mostly because of the music.

The Man of Steel soundtrack isn't that great as a movie soundtrack, but it makes for great trailer music.
I'm still sour about them ditching the John William's theme, though

Sephzilla

I like Hans Zimmer, but John Williams nailed superman with his theme. Hans is more suited for Batman (but I also liked Elfman's theme).

I'm probably in the minority with this but I don't like Zimmer's work on either Batman or Superman. His Batman stuff is all really generic in my opinion and forgetful, while the Elfman Batman music have its own sense of atmosphere and character. Zimmer's Superman stuff is better than his Batman stuff, but the William's score is simply better.

DaveH

The interpretation I like best is that people simply aren't looking. Superman seems to be there, rescuing people, day and night. They just assume that Superman is Superman, all the time.
I think that interpretation is out the window due to Zod's ultimatum...

"For reasons unknown, he has chosen to keep his existence a secret from you. He will have made efforts to blend in. He will look like you. But he is not one of you."

That said, I never liked that interpretation because the world is a big place and Superman is significant amongst it, so it's a little dubious to me that all of humanity would be so monolithic as to make that same assumption about Superman.

I think it was Goyer that said there are quite a few people in Smallville that know Clark is Superman. I also think it's hinted that Perry knows as well.
Yeah, people knowing doesn't break tradition. Pre-New52 (and I guess now in the New52, Luthor knows) just short of a hundred individual named characters knew Bruce Wayne was Batman. Superman's identity was also widely known. The two issues are: a) What do you do with that information? b) How do you keep others from getting that information?

With regards to the first, The Dark Knight, covered this well enough for a movie and the logic extends to the DC Cinematic Universe going forwards. The accountant / would-be blackmailer actually shows all three things that can happen if you have the information:

1. Loyalty - After Bruce Wayne saves the accountant's life, he earns the man's loyalty and silence. In the case of those from Smallville, they know Martha Kent, they know Clark Kent and what he's done for them (now that they know it was actually his intervention and not divine accident); the same for those he met along the way as a guardian angel.
  2. Self-Interest - TDKR shows a number of consequences that can arise if you disclose that you have this information. You could incur the wrath of the vigilante. You could become a commodity to his enemies (why pay you for your information if they can extract it from you against your will). You could be targeted by loyalists (uh, to the extent that Joker wanted to preserve Batman's identity). The same holds true for Superman. In this world, there's no known contingency against him... do you want reprisal from him? He saved the planet... do you want reprisal from the grateful? The US Government disappeared a prominent journalist on the mere accusation / suspicion of information, who no doubt will report loudly about her civil rights violation afterwards... so when the Men In Black come asking questions do you volunteer?
  3. Half-Baked - Of course, not everyone is going to think it completely through like in the two cases above. However, the natural consequences of your actions may tend to mitigate the issue. If you go to a loyalist, they may stop the spread. If you go to an enemy, trying to bargain for the information, they may threaten your life causing you to disclaim the information to avoid future issue. Honestly, you can't cover every possibility, but you can cover it enough for a particular story and all fiction with secret identities have been doing it for ages...

Preventing the acquisition of the information is another analysis for when I'm not supposed to be working. ;)

Hans had this creepy/crawly type music combined with adrenaline that fit batman well because of his theme of using fear to fight crime, Superman's music should inspire hope and bravery through bravado and uplifting music. Hans sort of does this but he still keeps that adrenaline part, there doesn't end up being the theme that people loved in Donner's film that played everytime superman pull through, reassuring the audience everything is alright. His music sounds confused in message.

Penguin

Yeah, if you want the fans sitting on their hands. Now if you want dem fans pulling out their hair in excitement you crank up "Man Called Sting".

Ain't no hand holding when the gongs come and the lights go down

But if you want them falling over themselves... just push out Jeff Hardy

BadAss2961

Didn't know if I should make a new thread for this or not considering it's just a rumor (plus I don't know how reliable Cinemablend is; don't follow too many movie sites), so I figured I'd drop it here.

Benedict Cumberbatch Is Reportedly Being Eyed For 2 DC Comics Roles

The roles are either an unnamed villain or the Martian Manhunter.

I'm on board with Cumberbatch as J'onn. I believe he'd kill that role.
I would've preferred a black J'onn, but Cumberbatch would be good. Those cheekbones.

He already looks like an alien.

Gonzalez

Banned

Penguin

Didn't know if I should make a new thread for this or not considering it's just a rumor (plus I don't know how reliable Cinemablend is; don't follow too many movie sites), so I figured I'd drop it here.

Benedict Cumberbatch Is Reportedly Being Eyed For 2 DC Comics Roles

The roles are either an unnamed villain or the Martian Manhunter.

I'm on board with Cumberbatch as J'onn. I believe he'd kill that role.

People already says he looks like an alien...

I think Cumberbatch would also kill it as a VA/Mo-Cap actor for Darkseid. Too soon for him to appear, I suspect, but he would be great in that capacity. Of course this assuming that they don't like Michael Ironside do it, which would be too wonderful for my geek-heart to handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom