• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

I think they care, but only insomuch as it drives sales. Which isn't a lot.

Oh they probably don't

Honestly, to them, this is fantastic.

They are literally ALWAYS in the news, one way or another.

And it just makes their fanbase all the more crazed to want to see em succeed.

BadAss2961

Any truth to this?
Pretty sure it's just speculation as Snyder's not on record saying that. The Amboyer thing is an interesting theory though... He does resemble Hal, and he is a bit accomplished for a quick throwaway role. But this guy also appears to be from Detroit, which is where most of the shooting took place. So he could easily just be an extra.

Also, drone pilot? I don't know.

It's still real to me dammit.

Seriously though, I don't give a shit about the MCU. But the Marvel fans need a humbling.

I don't consider those people marvel fans, at least not real ones. Those are just bandwagon assholes. They're just as likely to switch to DC if DC becomes wildly popular rather then be mad that Marvel made less money at BO.

Effect

Any truth to this?

I don't recall Snyder saying anything about Green Lantern in the past.

I agree that the whole DC vs Marvel thing really is with the fanboys and media personalities that are invested in getting views off it. It makes watching something things on youtube and some forums insufferable. For some, many it seems at times, it's not enough to like one more then the other. That's fine. No they have to berate those that like the other side more. Both sides do it I think but with Marvel's popularity you see more of it from their hardcore fans and it's not just directed at DC fans and things they like but fans of Fox's films, etc. It honest takes the enjoyment out of some of the Marvel films for me.

Doubt either companies care as long as they make money. I would think WB would be concerned about looking like an also ran though and would rather be included in the discussions then be ignored during it.

To not give some of the more negative fanboys fodder I wish they would do and say more.

Magwik

Banned
Word on twitter is that the trailer isn't coming until May with Mad Max. If they're going to wait that long then they should just release the comic con teaser now and have a full trailer then
"Wait that long"
It's still a year before release. You're not entitled to a trailer or teaser.

guek

Banned
Exactly.

"I won't knock the porkchop off your plate if you don't knock one off mine."

That's the WB/Disney "rivalry" right now.
Eh, I think there's slightly more to it than that. I don't think Marvel cares at all what WB/DC does outside of scheduling but WB is definitely looking closely at Marvel's strategy and success. "Rivalry" is completely wrong but WB is absolutely invested in dethroning Marvel/Disney from the current blockbuster throne. All supposed animosity is fabricated though, like you said.

Oh they probably don't

Honestly, to them, this is fantastic.

They are literally ALWAYS in the news, one way or another.

And it just makes their fanbase all the more crazed to want to see em succeed.

That's what I meant; they care about keeping up the appearance of a rivalry, because it drives their fanbase to spend more money to "beat the other guy," and because it produces some free media. However, the fandom rivalry news is largely limited to the enthusiast press, and the people hardcore enough to try and win in sales are fairly few, so the scale isn't there for them to really invest in it.

Does Zack Snyder even get to make choices like that? I really would like to see the breakdown of authority in creativeness in DC's movies. I assume it comes from some sort of mutual agreement between DC and the directors rather than one person.

If there is one person making the final decision, I assume Geoff Johns gets the last call, he's the Chief Creative Officer at DC and usually involved in everything DC. If he gets the final call I'm 99% sure it will be Hal.

Tabby

Does Zack Snyder even get to make choices like that? I really would like to see the breakdown of authority in creativeness in DC's movies. I assume it comes from some sort of mutual agreement between DC and the directors rather than one person.

If there is one person making the final decision, I assume Geoff Johns gets the last call, he's the Chief Creative Officer at DC and usually involved in everything DC. If he gets the final call I'm 99% sure it will be Hal.
I'd assume DC just tells them who they can and can't use while Zack and co. decide who they want.

Effect

I'm wondering if even Johns is getting the final say on the Hal vs John choice. The higher ups more then likely want diversity in the cast so the films do well world wide. The TV/animation sections of WB/DC have been willing to do more on this front then the comics normally. This is why I wonder if we might indeed get John over Hal. Or at least get both. Young Justice for example did that. If they do the Atom I wonder if we might actually get Ryan Choi instead of Ray Palmer. I don't for a second doubt we might get Jamie for Blue Beetle. I'd be very surprised on that front if they didn't go with him as the main focus even if previous guy is included ala Ant-Man.

Geoff Johns has pretty much no say over where the WB movies go. At least not since Green Lantern splat-packed.

IconGrist

I don't think there is enough information out there to point at Johns as the reason GL failed. There was a lot of meddling that went on with GL.

I don't think there is enough information out there to point at Johns as the reason GL failed. There was a lot of meddling that went on with GL.

I don't think he was the sole reason at all. But I don't think he's really involved in where the movies are going, and I don't think they're checking in with him at any point, either.

I'm wondering if even Johns is getting the final say on the Hal vs John choice. The higher ups more then likely want diversity in the cast so the films do well world wide. The TV/animation sections of WB/DC have been willing to do more on this front then the comics normally. This is why I wonder if we might indeed get John over Hal. Or at least get both. Young Justice for example did that. If they do the Atom I wonder if we might actually get Ryan Choi instead of Ray Palmer. I don't for a second doubt we might get Jamie for Blue Beetle. I'd be very surprised on that front if they didn't with with Jamie as the main focus even if previous guy is included ala Ant-Man.

If Jaime gets his own movie I would probably straight up die. Been a huge fan of the character since he was introduced, and then he got screwed so hard by the New 52. If they could capture what made the Rogers run work...

a916

Word on twitter is that the trailer isn't coming until May with Mad Max. If they're going to wait that long then they should just release the comic con teaser now and have a full trailer then

We're not getting a real trailer until 6 months out... at this point we're just praying on a teaser. They wouldn't blow their load on a story trailer anything less than 6 months out. When the real marketing push begins. Even 6 months may be too much time to sustain hype.

pulga

Banned
http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/B...-Appear-in-Batman-v-Superman-Dawn-of-Justice/

I know you can’t say much about the movie right now — but what can you tell us?

I can tell you that I think it’s going to be badass! They’re just such an awesome team. The bits that I was on set for look fantastic; everyone in it is fantastic. It’s exciting; it’s high-energy; it’s high-action. They are addressing all of the things that they set up in “Man of Steel.”

um

she didnt look this hhnnngggg in the movie

she's a total HNNNGGGGGGGG

SimleuqiR

um

she didnt look this hhnnngggg in the movie

she's a total HNNNGGGGGGGG

She looked hot to me in the movie.
I found her very attractive even though she appear to have no make up, her hair was tucked under a cap, and her uniform was baggy.

Super cutie.

Ashhong

http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/B...-Appear-in-Batman-v-Superman-Dawn-of-Justice/

I know you can’t say much about the movie right now — but what can you tell us?

I can tell you that I think it’s going to be badass! They’re just such an awesome team. The bits that I was on set for look fantastic; everyone in it is fantastic. It’s exciting; it’s high-energy; it’s high-action. They are addressing all of the things that they set up in “Man of Steel.”

Name of this girl??

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
combined with Jakeem Thunder

what is it with black super heroes and electricity?

It's one of a few things black characters are allowed to be: 1) Cyborgs 2) Electrical 3) Dead.

Has that Licensing stuff still not been resolved? I thought they got theit milestone characters back.

Milestone comics isn't a thing anymore I thought.

It came as a surprise to me too, but DC only licensed the Milestone characters when they integrated them into the New 52. The licensing deal recently expired and Milestone is looking to push the characters again, independent of DC.

Eh, I think there's slightly more to it than that. I don't think Marvel cares at all what WB/DC does outside of scheduling but WB is definitely looking closely at Marvel's strategy and success. "Rivalry" is completely wrong but WB is absolutely invested in dethroning Marvel/Disney from the current blockbuster throne. All supposed animosity is fabricated though, like you said.

Yeah, pretty much this. No, this doesn't mean WB is ripping off any of Marvel's specific creative decisions, but BvS and the announced DCCU slate are pretty blatantly a response to Marvel's success.

They announced it all at an investors meeting, no? What do you consider a proper announcement?

I think he means like what Marvel did when they announced Phase 3. Or rather, a specific press release/video/Comic-Con thing. The DC Movie slate was part of an overall investors call that spoke about some of DCs upcoming movies & franchises (Lego/Lego Batman/Fantastic Beasts + Where To Find Them).

Penguin

Yeah, pretty much this. No, this doesn't mean WB is ripping off any of Marvel's specific creative decisions, but BvS and the announced DCCU slate are pretty blatantly a response to Marvel's success.

Half and half

I see it more as... we ran out of Potter books... we ran out of LoTR material

We're going to mine comics because they are popular. And make bank.

Probably why announced at an investors call before the final Hobbit film.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
It's funny but I'm looking forward more to Suicide Squad than all other superhero films, including this one. Cast is crazy good even without Tom Hardy, and it looks to be something very different from the usual superhero stuff. Hope Ayer kills it.

People say this kinda stuff and its silly,
Kids don't prefer Robin/Nightwing to Batman because they are younger than him.
Kids don't care about RDJ's age.

Would it be different, yes but kids wouldn't care because it is still Spiderman.

Meh, kinda disagree. Batman and Iron Man are always gown men. Spiderman, in most major depictions, is a young adult/older teen. It's engraved into the character. And kids pick up on that a lot more than you think.

Meh, kinda disagree. Batman and Iron Man are always gown men. Spiderman, in most major depictions, is a young adult/older teen. It's engraved into the character. And kids pick up on that a lot more than you think.

Im not saying kids wouldn't question it just that it wouldn't effect them buying a toy or anything.
Now a Peter Parker toy would be a different situation imo.

No kid wants to buy a toy of a 40yo Spider-Man

People say this kinda stuff and its silly,
Kids don't prefer Robin/Nightwing to Batman because they are younger than him.
Kids don't care about RDJ's age.

Would it be different, yes but kids wouldn't care because it is still Spiderman.

Yep, that kind of thinking gave us Jake Lloyd.

No kid wants to be the kid. They want to be hero. Age matters not.

I'd rather Peter Parker be an adult but I do think kids as super heroes do have an effect on sales (unsure about teenagers). Robin doubled Batman's sales and Captain Marvel was more popular than Superman.

I don't think in this case, given all his cartoons, that kids will care if Peter Parker is 30 or 15. It's all the same in the costume.

Anyway, we're talking about Marvel in a BvS thread. Throw us a god damn bone here WB.

ReiGun

I'd rather Peter Parker be an adult but I do think kids as super heroes do have an effect on sales (unsure about teenagers). Robin doubled Batman's sales and Captain Marvel was more popular than Superman.

I don't think in this case, given all his cartoons, that kids will care if Peter Parker is 30 or 15. It's all the same in the costume.

Anyway, we're talking about Marvel in a BvS thread. Throw us a god damn bone here WB.

It's either talk about Marvel or write fanfic about the upcoming movies.

We lose either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom