• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could see it hitting 1 billion with positive word of mouth. Our current perception of the movie is shaped by what we know about it, which at this point consists of costumes and casting drama. Let the hype train roll for a while, I think they'll have no trouble putting butts in seats.

Penguin

I will say a solo Batman film that some people consider "terrible" made over a billion dollars. I have to imagine BvS should have no problem clearing that.

Dark Knight: $1,004,558,444
Dark Knight Rises: $1,084,439,099
Avengers: $1,518,594,910
Man of Steel: $668,045,518

1 billion shouldn't be too hard. Both Dark Knight movies made it. They might be a bit disappointed if it doesn't hit that mark. Depending how much they market it with Batman will make the difference imo.

strafer

I will say a solo Batman film that some people consider "terrible" made over a billion dollars. I have to imagine BvS should have no problem clearing that.

Sure, but that movie was preceded by a movie that was well recieved.

MoS is hated by most people and people getting scared about BvS because of that.

Betty

Banned
If it does well and gets received well I can see the Justice League movie getting bigger.

Well sure, but given Zack Snyder's run recently I really have zero confidence it'll be received critically as well as we'd all like.

And lots of people liked Rises dammit, way more than Man of Steel.

Not exactly the same thing. Nolan had the runs on the board after Begins and Dark Knight. MoS and Snyder aren't The Dark Knight or Nolan.

Raptor

MoS is hated by most people and people getting scared about BvS because of that.

I don't know man, "most people" on some forums is not indicative of the popular masses opinion.

I must admit, I imagine no matter how good it will be marked down for something.

To this day it boggles the mind that Thor: The Dark World is a 66% on Rotten tomatoes wheras Man of Steel in 55. Like, the Avengers I get, Captain American I get and adore. Iron Man I understand.

But Thor 2? seriously?

munchie64

Ignoring all the other reasons why it made over a billion... I honestly don't think most people find TDKR terrible.

strafer

Well sure, but given Zack Snyder's run recently I really have zero confidence it'll be received critically as well as we'd all like.

And lots of people liked Rises dammit, way more than Man of Steel.

Maybe this one will surprise us all since Affleck brought in Chris Terrio to write the screenplay.

I know many had problems with the script in MoS.

There's nothing wrong with the way Zack directs though, he's the right man for the job.

BVS doesn't have the benefit of being the sequel to a massive success like TDK, though. I have to think that that specific factor contributed more to TDKR's success than did the Batman IP in general.

Could it break a billion? Sure. But I think people who claim to know how much it'll gross over a year out (well, past a certain common-sense point; it obviously won't bomb) are being silly.

I always saw Wonder Woman as the Aragorn of the DC Universe. If she said 'we fight' then every single superhero on Earth would fight alongside her. Superman and Batman, as iconic as they are, can't comprehend war. Which is why Wonder Woman should really always be the leader of the JL, but far as I know she's never really courted it.

she led the league once. not great results.

hated by most people? or just the shut-ins? most I know liked it. (with a couple of exceptions then again I hated Avengers)

Comparing the jump from Man of Steel to Batman v Superman means you should probably be comparing the jump between Batman Begins to The Dark Knight, or Iron Man to Avengers.

Man of Steel's audience on home video grew much in the same way Batman Begins' audience did. Now take that word-of-mouth growth in audience numbers, add the marketing for The Dark Knight (and the inclusion of the Joker) that certainly helped increase anticipation, and you see why the film did what it did early on. The quality of the movie pushed The Dark Knight way beyond what people were expecting both financially AND as a movie.

Loxley

Oh no...we're talking about box office numbers again...Snyder! Quick! Release another photo of you standing on a soundstage so we have something else to talk about!

I must admit, I imagine no matter how good it will be marked down for something.

To this day it boggles the mind that Thor: The Dark World is a 66% on Rotten tomatoes wheras Man of Steel in 55. Like, the Avengers I get, Captain American I get and adore. Iron Man I understand.

But Thor 2? seriously?

At the very least Man of Steel has the same average rating as Thor 2: 6.2/10.

DeathyBoy

Banned

Thor 2 is an awful, awful film. And I say that as someone who dislikes MOS. The original Thor nailed the tone by having Thor's fish out of water nature AND still having him be bad ass. By Thor: TDW they've removed 90% of the fun.

MOS is a pretty fucking dour film, but that approach kinda works tonally.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Comparing the jump from Man of Steel to Batman v Superman means you should probably be comparing the jump between Batman Begins to The Dark Knight, or Iron Man to Avengers.

Man of Steel's audience on home video grew much in the same way Batman Begins' audience did. Now take that word-of-mouth growth in audience numbers, add the marketing for The Dark Knight (and the inclusion of the Joker) that certainly helped increase anticipation, and you see why the film did what it did early on. The quality of the movie pushed The Dark Knight way beyond what people were expecting both financially AND as a movie.
One of the lead actors, whose performance was a main factor of the movie had also died. I'm not saying it was only due to Ledger's passing, but the media's focus on his death linked with his performance added a whole lot of talk about the movie. People who didn't give a shit about Batman suddenly started talking about it.

If you filter by top critics on rotten tomatoes, the rating becomes much different. Top critics opinion doesn't change much on MoS but Thor 2 drops by like .7 points. Top critics seem to be a bit harsher on most super hero films. It makes a little sense because Thor's main downfall is it's safeness and staleness while MoS's main problem seems to be it's execution, I'm sure some critics respond better to new ideas than franchises.

Anyway, considering watching the swamp thing film after having read some of Snyder's run. Wonder if it's worth my time, didn't even know it existed until today.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Nobody interested in a Batman movie is going to skip BvsS because a Superman movie "sucked".

Here's the thing about Batman fans... they aren't necessarily people who'd see a Superman film solely because Superman was in it. People who like Batman LOVE Batman, they aren't necessarily DC Comics fans in general. So, as you pointed out, Batman fans probably didn't give a fuck about MOS. But Batman v Superman? They're all into that shit because it has Batman. So if they tap into that, and keep 400 million of MOS's box-office as well, it's topping 800 million, easily.

guek

Banned
I don't know man, "most people" on some forums is not indicative of the popular masses opinion.
The popular mass opinion on MoS is a resounding "meh". Saying it was universally hated is way overstating things but so is saying it was well received.

The popular mass opinion on MoS is a resounding "meh".

76% of the 430k users at rotten tomatoes liked it, with the average score being just under 4 out of 5 stars.

Of the 440k users at imdb who rated it (probably some overlap w/ the RT crowd) 330k rated the movie at 7/10 or higher.

Looking at those two sites alone, I have a hard time seeing as to how the general opinion on the film is meh. More like on a range between "okay" to "pretty good"

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
The popular mass opinion on MoS is a resounding "meh". Saying it was universally hated is way overstating things but so is saying it was well received.

I don't know about this, it's not as if even 50% of all people who've seen it hop onto IMDB or RT to post their scores.
I've seen MoS mutiple times in an IMAX theater and every time the entire audience would clap when it was done.

"A resounding meh" seems like an underestimation to me.

guek

Banned
I guess to clarify, by "meh" I mean just okay.

Edit: this is the same way I'd describe the reception of the first amazing spider-man. Is the movie hated? No, but it also failed to make a big pop cultural impact. It's also got very similar user scores on IMDB and RT. Neither are outright terrible but neither were they especially memorable.

Senoculum

I guess to clarify, by "meh" I mean just okay.

Edit: this is the same way I'd describe the reception of the first amazing spider-man. Is the movie hated? No, but it also failed to make a big pop cultural impact. It's also got very similar user scores on IMDB and RT. Neither are outright terrible but neither were they especially memorable.

I personally think MoS is miles above both Spiderman films. It looked better, it sounded better, etc.

BvS is bleeding hype.

Effect

Even saying this over and over again doesn't make it true though. Just as people trying to say the majority of people hated the film. The audience reaction scores were always positive. Not middling (50s which I would say would be meh) but post-70. The vast majority of the movie going public were positive on the film and enjoyed it. Critics may have hated on the film but there was a very large disconnect over what they wanted and what the majority of the audience wanted and enjoyed. This was the topic of discussion back when the film came out. Since some people have tried to re-write things by making it seem people, the majority even, hated the film when that simply wasn't true.

3N16MA

Banned
MoS did good business domestically. Its OS gross wasn't too impressive but BvS should improve on that.

Take X-Men: First Class, it did not do extremely well at the BO with $353,624,124 WW. Fast forward to Days of Future Past and it grossed $748,121,534 (more than double) partly because it brought back some of the characters from the previous films. Audiences like team-ups. Not only that but 68.7% of it's gross came from OS.

Loxley

Even saying this over and over again doesn't make it true though. Just as people trying to say the majority of people hated the film. The audience reaction scores were always positive. Not middling (50s which I would say would be meh) but post-70. The vast majority of the movie going public were positive on the film and enjoyed it. Critics may have hated on the film but there was a very large disconnect over what they wanted and what the majority of the audience wanted and enjoyed. This was the topic of discussion back when the film came out. Since some people have tried to re-write things by making it seem people, the majority even, hated the film when that simply wasn't true.

Yeah, people wanted to see Superman kick some ass and that's exactly what they got. It's anecdotal, but I haven't come across anybody IRL who really disliked MOS - much less outright hated it. A few have been indifferent towards it, but mostly because they're indifferent towards Superman as a character to begin with. The general opinion in my social circles was that it was an enjoyable action movie. Cavill was hot as hell and the action was really exciting. That's the general summation I tend to get - generally speaking.

Granted we're talking about your every-day movie goers here. Most of them aren't the type to post on message boards about how they didn't like the shape of Superman's belt in MOS, so they're not exactly going to nit-pick the movie (or any movie for that matter) to death like critics and the internet do.

coming from you that's high praise I guess.

Yeah, people wanted to see Superman kick some ass and that's exactly what they got. It's anecdotal, but I haven't come across anybody IRL who really disliked MOS - much less outright hated it. A few have been indifferent towards it, but mostly because they're indifferent towards Superman as a character to begin with. The general opinion in my social circles was that it was an enjoyable action movie. Cavill was hot as hell and the action was really exciting. That's the general summation I tend to get - generally speaking.

Granted we're talking about your every-day movie goers here. Most of them aren't the type to post on message boards about how they didn't like the shape of Superman's belt in MOS, so they're not exactly going to nit-pick the movie (or any movie for that matter) to death like critics and the internet do.

and that's not really such a bad thing at the end of the day. it's just a movie, it's either enjoyed for what it is or not. eat some popcorn, nachos or movie hot dogs (I'm still iffy on those but I haven't died from them yet) drink some soda/fruit punch whatever and
just enjoy seeing Superman wreck some shit.

a916

I definitely feel this is true. It was very decisive among critics, but fans were a lot more positive that critics coming out of it.

oh SHIT. first look at Momoa as Aquaman

4cN8H6K.jpg

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/568650209581858817

There is only one true King. #unitetheseven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom