• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

It would feel like those character would be sacrificed on altar of getting some free publicity.
Superman, maybe. But Wonder Woman? People been assuming she's a lesbian since her creation, and DC has flirted with the idea before. Her being bi would make a splash, but far from a "sacrifice."

My Bet

At the end of the movie. The camera zooms back on Batman and Superman shaking hands to reveal that the viewer is looking through a magical lens suspended in mid air. The camera continues to zoom out revealing 5 other lenses. Each lens is a different scene. Wonder Woman on beach hugging her sisters goodbye and flying off into the distances. In space two emerald bolts streak toward earth. Barry Allen being hit by lightning. Vic stone lying on a operating table. Aquaman sitting pensively on his throne. Then the camera pans around revealing the location, the Rock of Eternity, and the aged Wizard Shazam. It ends with Shazams words "The Second Age of Heroes has begun"

I'd be down for this.

Just finished reading New Frontier for the first time, really liked how it distributed time between league members and I love that golden age setting. Probably my favorite Justice League creation story (right ahead of Timm's version). Part of me wishes that Snyderverse had super heroes established already, it's not integral to the story at all but I love the JSA and the WW2 heroes.

Guess it's time to go watch the animated version again.

Penguin

This is how I seen BvS going

About 75% of the movie is Superman flying around repairing buildings damaged at the end of Man ofSteel. And personally making sure that everyone is okay.

75% of the film will be origins for Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg, The Flash, Hawkgirl, Vixen, Booster Gold, The Question, Santa Claus, and The Easter Bunny.

About 75% of the film will be Superman in the mirror practicing how to smile, and Batman working on delivering the perfect one-liner.

75% of the film will be Batman lamenting the fact that he really can't fight Superman so why is he getting top-billing in the sequel.

75% of the film will literally be Superman trying to prevent a trainwreck and failing

They probably won't try. They'll tease him a bit to get audiences intrigued and then they'll reveal more a about him in Justice League. But for BvS I can see why they'd keep his character a bit of mystery.

Teasing is fine, so good to see that confirmed.

Weird to release a pic over a year in advance, though, but can't say it didn't get people talking.

Loxley

Just finished reading New Frontier for the first time, really liked how it distributed time between league members and I love that golden age setting. Probably my favorite Justice League creation story (right ahead of Timm's version). Part of me wishes that Snyderverse had super heroes established already, it's not integral to the story at all but I love the JSA and the WW2 heroes.

And then go watch the Fleischer cartoons and get a genuine taste for WW2-era Superman :)

Man, those things are 74 years old and still hold up. Mechanical Monsters in particular remains my favorite. It's pure Golden Age Superman. A mad scientist creates an army of bank-robbing robots, kidnaps Lois Lane, and Superman has to save her before she's lowered into a pit of molten metal. All to a kick-ass orchestral soundtrack. The animation (thanks largely to the rotoscoping) still looks great as well. The actual episode "Mad Scientist" (which was also the first episode) is awesome if you want to see Superman punch a goddamn laser.

Man, I love those cartoons so much. They remain my favorite interpretation of the character, easily.

And then go watch the Fleischer cartoons and get a genuine taste for WW2-era Superman :)

Man, those things are 74 years old and still hold up. Mechanical Monsters in particular remains my favorite. It's pure Golden Age Superman. A mad scientist creates an army of bank-robbing robots, kidnaps Lois Lane, and Superman has to save her before she's lowered into a pit of molten metal. All to a kick-ass orchestral soundtrack. The animation (thanks largely to the rotoscoping) still looks great as well. The actual episode "Mad Scientist" (which was also the first episode) is awesome if you want to see Superman punch a goddamn laser.

Man, I love those cartoons so much. They remain my favorite interpretation of the character, easily.

Yeah I watched those as a kid, they had them on VHS. They still are really good. Snyder needs to deliver supes as a source of inspiration, I'm sure he's getting to it in BvS or Justice League.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Man of steel is constantly on HBO so I just watch parts of it whenever.

God this movies great.

Fuck the haters, they just want all their superhero films to be the same.

DeathyBoy

Banned
lol what a silly deflection of legitimate criticism

bullets.jpg

Superman gives no fucks about criticism.

Bronze age, technically, but it's all sorts of win anyway.

Betty

Banned
I love how that's an actual quote in the film by the villain, and people STILL bitch about Superman not rescuing random citizens.

Didn't peope bitch because he fought Zod is such highly populated areas without attempting to coax Zod into space or duel him on the moon or something?

I haven't seen the film.

Alienous

I love how that's an actual quote in the film by the villain, and people STILL bitch about Superman not rescuing random citizens.

Well, his response wasn't "I won't let you do that". If anything it was acceptance, like "Well, I guess I should just save like one guy then".

Didn't peope bitch because he fought Zod is such highly populated areas without attempting to coax Zod into space or duel him on the moon or something?

I haven't seen the film.

They did, but the problem with that is the whole reason Zod was still in Metropolis at that point was he figured it'd be as good a place as any to start his genocide of the entire human race. Time was being measured in bodies at that point, and if Zod had ignored Supes' attempt to "coax" him, a whole lot of people would have died.

Besides, central Metropolis was mostly abandoned at that point anyway, due to the World Engine thing.

It's a decent movie, you should give it a shot.

Loxley

Way better villain than Zod.

I'll admit...I'm part of the camp that would love to see her brought back. They wouldn't really have to stretch that far to do it either. Technically we didn't see her die since the camera cut away before that ship she was in blew up. So they could concoct some comic book excuse for bringing back a character that was thought to be dead.

Her melee with Superman was easily one of the highlights of Man of Steel, and Antje Traue somehow managed to make some her more cheesy lines actually work.

Zabka

I'll admit...I'm part of the camp that would love to see her brought back. They wouldn't really have to stretch that far to do it either. Technically we didn't see her die since the camera cut away before that ship she was in blew up. So they could concoct some comic book excuse for bringing back a character that was thought to be dead.

Her melee with Superman was easily one of the highlights of Man of Steel, and Antje Traue somehow managed to make some her more cheesy lines actually work.
She's trapped in the Phantom Zone with the rest of the Kryptonians. Boom, done.

Pavaloo

Well, his response wasn't "I won't let you do that". If anything it was acceptance, like "Well, I guess I should just save like one guy then".

"Oh shit I gotta save the US soldiers that fight for our country"
not an actual line in the movie lol

There's also the fact that he duels Zod after smooching Lois.

Movie is good I think, especially the first 2 thirds, but the last act kind of kills it for me. Completely tone deaf. It really had the potential to be the very best in years too. I remember watching this with my dad last year on TV and he just walked out bored during the whole Zod thing. He was just like "when does he become Superman?" I told him during the last 2 minutes of the movie, lol.

Sequel is shaping up to be the tits tho - going as far as using my criticisms as unique story leverage and scrapping the only real weak link standing in the movie's way (Goyer)

Betty

Banned
They did, but the problem with that is the whole reason Zod was still in Metropolis at that point was he figured it'd be as good a place as any to start his genocide of the entire human race. Time was being measured in bodies at that point, and if Zod had ignored Supes' attempt to "coax" him, a whole lot of people would have died.

Besides, central Metropolis was mostly abandoned at that point anyway, due to the World Engine thing.

It's a decent movie, you should give it a shot.

Ah right, gotcha.

I really get the feeling that the recruitment of justice league members will just happen as part of the credits. Not after or mid-way through the credits but actualy those fancy ending graphics that marvel do when the credits roll.

I think its easy for another Movie they adapt The Man Who has Everything and make Faora his kryptonian wife instea of Lo-is

Glass

When discussing why MoS was good or bad, people spend so long over the destruction and whether Supes could have done more, they forget that it wasn't Superman that could have done better, but David Goyer and Zack Synder. They're the ones to blame for such a mediocre film, not Superman.

cocopuffs

Banned
Man of steel is constantly on HBO so I just watch parts of it whenever.

God this movies great.

Fuck the haters, they just want all their superhero films to be the same.
indeed it is, i really liked man of steel. sure it aint perfect but it had some great action scenes and was overall pretty great.

1505.gif

Amir0x

Banned
Man of Steel was like two or three pretty decent action scenes connected by a bunch of meandering nonsense in between. I should never be surprised since Zack Snyder is so terrible at everything minus a few of his stylish directing flourishes that it's just best to go in with low expectations anyway.

- J - D -

Regardless of how BvS turns out, I just want another nifty montage like the one from Watchmen. Say what you want about Zack Snyder's films, but that opening sequence was magnificent. I'm still convinced that that is the best thing he's done in his career (not the actual movie itself, mind you, just that montage).

a916

Agreed. Snyder does action like no other... if they can couple him with a good script writer, we're on to something good.

J10

Banned
Agreed. Snyder does action like no other... if they can couple him with a good script writer, we're on to something good.

He's also gotta learn how to let the heavy moments breathe and not just shuffle off to the next plot point. That was a problem with Watchmen and Man of Steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom