• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
yeah she didn't really have any lines in it. maybe she'll prove me wrong and then i'll gladly eat my words. this character is an icon, especially when it comes to female heroes which is why i was hoping for somebody with that major presence like eva green :)whew). they can't fuck this one up, maybe she killed it at the audition.

If anything, Zack Snyder knows how to cast his female roles.

rude

Banned
anyone know when we can expect the Batwoman movie tho?
batwoman.jpg

Peru

We can only hope Snyder saw some of what Antje Traue pulled off with Faora in Gadot's audition. It's pointless to speculate, at least for me, since like many others I've only seen her in the silly, surface-only Fast Furious role.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
We can only hope Snyder saw some of what Antje Traue pulled off with Faora in Gadot's audition. It's pointless to speculate, at least for me, since like many others I've only seen her in the silly, surface-only Fast Furious role.
He should bring back Faora. I honestly don't like the rumour of Doomsday being the big villain for BvS. It's like they want to emulate the Hulk, but the Hulk had more to him (comedic value for example) than Doomsday.
Faora vs Wonderwoman fight would be something good.

He should bring back Faora. I honestly don't like the rumour of Doomsday being the big villain for BvS. It's like they want to emulate the Hulk, but the Hulk had more to him (comedic value for example) than Doomsday.

Ideally Lex would gain access to the phantom zone and bring her back. I still have hopes for a Secret Society of Evil/Legion of Doom type movie. I think it would be a funny spin to see the villains interact with each other and try to take down the Justice League, kind of like Secret Six or Forever Evil. Really depends on how popular the villains are with the audience I suppose.

Effect

This is why people should really chill when it comes to Gal Gadot. Getting this franchise and specifically Wonder Woman done well in live action in theaters is extremely important to Warner Bros. We don't know how auditions went. We don't know what the dailies look like while they're filming. If she sucks and I'm pretty confident the people at WB would be able to determine this at the audition stage, even if they have a certain look and feel for Wonder Woman in mind, they wouldn't have casted her. They wouldn't have gone through the contract negotiations. This isn't the case of them writing a check and letting those behind the movie go play. They're serous about pushing their DC IPs. So they're likely watching things like hawks and making sure the best people are in position to make this work. That's why Goyer is gone for the most part remember.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

Doomsday makes sense for this movie, it's a physical threat big enough to force a teamup between Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. Only Brainaic and Darkseid are the other 2, and they aren't going to waste those 2 on this movie. Besides you need time to set up those 2, time that this movie can't afford.

Doomsday doesn't need any characterization, he is there to destroy shit and kill Superman, so you don't have to waste an entire movie setting him up. The focus of the movie is the conflict between Batman and Superman, Superman coming to terms with how his prescence has changed the world forever, and the eventual team-up.

WW has never been She-hulk and is a magically superpowered hero

who gives a shit
Yeah I don't get it, she has never been designed as a female body builder, in fact the amazons are very proud of their womanhood they are strong while retaining their female features they don't need to look all jacked up so they can compete with men.

What is this nonsense? As with any comic book character it depends on the artist, but let's not act like WW hasn't been depicted as a pretty buff/relatively thicker character.

N9g28uG.jpg
WD45IjG.jpg
JchZM6N.png
OdlZQN8.jpg
tL5bvPV.jpg
TYp2uDb.jpg
pmGbx8F.jpg
zSUCVDv.jpg
vuwzMcI.png
< lol

Sure, she's magic. But I don't fault anyone preferring her to have a decent amount of muscle mass any more than people preferring Superman or Thor to have a decent amount of muscle mass. I don't need or want Gadot to bulk up to Chyna levels, but I wouldn't mind her bulking up a bit. It's not going to kill my suspension of disbelief if she doesn't though.

jelly

I think charisma and acting will round her off more than muscle. Should have a decent frame at least and I presume she pumps up like men do before shots and along with armour, she will probably look fine. Remember it's the visual director Snyder, he'll get that part right minus the filter of choice.

Cavill had the physique but he had no charisma or chemistry in Man of Steel.

DaveH

What is this nonsense? As with any comic book character it depends on the artist...
Then what are you even on about?

The character is nearly 75 years old and most the images you've cherry-picked are from the last 15.

&#8226; For the Golden Age, outside of being drawn "puffy" in her first few issues, she was drawn like any other woman up to, through, and beyond the Silver Age and into the Bronze and Modern Age.
&#8226; For the character's 4 years of live-action TV history (1975-1979) before millions of viewers across 59 hour-long episodes... Lynda Carter was an extremely slight beauty pageant queen. Carter even remarks in one documentary that she requested the costume be let out because her natural figure was TOO hour-glassy.
&#8226; For the character's animated TV history, Superfriends spanned 13 years, 9 seasons, and 109 episodes with a normal body.
&#8226; She was also comparatively slight in Bruce Timm's Justice League, spanning 5 seasons and 91 episodes from 2001-2006 and her 2009, direct-to-video animated feature, voiced by Keri Russell.

Sure, the depiction exists, but hardly with the same endurance, exposure, and effect on the zeitgeist as a normal-figured woman with wonderful powers not borne by muscle.

She has superpowers, she doesn't really need to bicep curl 60 pounds.

I mean, I understand where you're coming from, but would you say that about Superman or Thor or Hercules? Or at the very least, would you agree that a relatively buff Superman embodies the character more than a relatively skinny Superman?

I was particular addressing the "never"s in both those quotes.

Man of steel is constantly on HBO so I just watch parts of it whenever.

God this movies great.

Fuck the haters, they just want all their superhero films to be the same.

The things I don't like about MoS are the parts where it is trying too hard to be the same as other superhero films. I don't want them all to be the same, I don't think Superman needs to be the same gritty, grounded, conflicted and angsty anti-hero as Batman is in the Nolan films.

MoS had great action but missed a lot of what Superman's about, and as always I'll point to Grant Morrison's All Star Superman as my personal (subjective) ideal of what Superman is all about. It's how Superman is not the same that makes him so great, and it's what the movies we've had so far have largely missed.

Peru

She has superpowers, she doesn't really need to bicep curl 60 pounds.

She needs to look fit, just like Thor and Superman and other superpowered beings. She did look toned and fit for that comic con apppearance though, to be honest Helmsworth / Cavill are over the top for me.

The character is nearly 75 years old and most the images you've cherry-picked are from the last 15.

&#8226; For the Golden Age, outside of being drawn "puffy" in her first few issues, she was drawn like any other woman up to, through, and beyond the Silver Age and into the Bronze and Modern Age.
&#8226; For the character's 4 years of live-action TV history (1975-1979) before millions of viewers across 59 hour-long episodes... Lynda Carter was an extremely slight beauty pageant queen. Carter even remarks in one documentary that she requested the costume be let out because her natural figure was TOO hour-glassy.
&#8226; For the character's animated TV history, Superfriends spanned 13 years, 9 seasons, and 109 episodes with a normal body.
&#8226; She was also comparatively slight in Bruce Timm's Justice League, spanning 5 seasons and 91 episodes from 2001-2006 and her 2009, direct-to-video animated feature, voiced by Keri Russell.

Sure, the depiction exists, but hardly with the same endurance, exposure, and effect on the zeitgeist as a normal-figured woman with wonderful powers not borne by muscle.

To be fair, the response to the assertions that she's "never" been depicted as athletic or muscular ("female body builder", "She-hulk") which was what GuitarAtomik was getting at - that's a fallacy.

It's all moot to be honest, and happens with a lot of super hero casting. Personally, I'd love to see different body types for women in comic books (and comic book movies, in response) used more. We get very little range, typically.

Peru

It's all moot, to be honest and happens with a lot of super hero casting. Personally, I'd love to see different body types for women in comic books (and comic book movies, in response) used more. We get very little range, typically.

This is why we need an Erica Henderson Squirrel Girl movie.

This is why we need an Erica Henderson Squirrel Girl movie.

Heh, indeed. Will never happen, though. They would CW the hell out of any Squirrel Girl property.

I hope for a Strangers in Paradise adaptation of some sort, one day. So much variation in that series, it's wonderful.

What is this nonsense? As with any comic book character it depends on the artist, but let's not act like WW hasn't been depicted as a pretty buff/relatively thicker character.

Sure, she's magic. But I don't fault anyone preferring her to have a decent amount of muscle mass any more than people preferring Superman or Thor to have a decent amount of muscle mass. I don't need or want Gadot to bulk up to Chyna levels, but I wouldn't mind her bulking up a bit. It's not going to kill my suspension of disbelief if she doesn't though.

The problem is finding a woman who looks like that in real life who A) can act and B) is still visually appealing to the general consumer. Big buff men in live action are much more widely acceptable, women probably not so much.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
since it's almost just a year now is there a countdown site/app for BvS?

People weren't kidding when they said this thread was cyclical... we're on the Gadot appearance discussion...

Someone needs to do a diagram.

circular-motion.png

6ejl0Qz.png

I think it's normal at this point tho and it's just that we don't have trailers or plot news to talk about, as as soon as WB start that machine for BvS (we still 6 months away from that point) I think most people will talk about other things.

Compbros

The problem is finding a woman who looks like that in real life who A) can act and B) is still visually appealing to the general consumer. Big buff men in live action are much more widely acceptable, women probably not so much.

We've hardly seen Gadot in anything AFAIK so what do we really know about her acting? Regardless, I still say Gina Carano would've been great.

What's the excuse for her awful acting?

Yeah some of the actors in watchmen were basura

Snyder's not so good at casting or directing actors

Hell I'm convinced WB had a hand in man of steel casting

I hope I eat crow on this tho, for sure. And the cycle is goat. See you guys again when some of us shit on gadot again in a couple weeks Yall

Regarding casting, outside of acting, if there is one thing DC has over Marvel is that all the guys in their movies so far are fucking huge.

I wonder who they will get for Darkseid cuz I think the pool of big motherfuckers who can act is drying up. He'll probably be CGI like Thanos or Apocalypse.

a916

Regarding casting, outside of acting, if there is one thing DC has over Marvel is that all the guys in their movies so far are fucking huge.

I wonder who they will get for Darkseid cuz I think the pool of big motherfuckers who can act is drying up. He'll probably be CGI like Thanos or Apocalypse.

Brock Lesnar doing the body shots with someone else doing the voice over work like Kevin Drevioux.

3N16MA

Banned

Most likely go the Brolin/Thanos route.

Oh, he'll definitely be CGI. He's supposed to be something like 12 feet tall anyway. The real question is who they get to voice him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom