• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The fight scenes in MOS are so good!

ozs10g7sqz.gif

Yup. Watchmen fight scenes are also fantastic.

I really want an epic Wonder Woman Vs Superman fight scene in BvS. Wonder Woman fight scenes can be like Faora but have her use more melee attacks than super speed (and Faora need to return somehow, Zack and WB should not waste a great villain)

Armored Batman Vs Superman will be super tricky and I still not sure how they'll do it ( in Frank Miller's TDKR bad Superman- I hated that stupid Supes created byMiller- was holding holding back and I don't want to see that).

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Surely if the writing is crap, then the writer is to blame.
Snyder is like Ridley Scott, give him a good script and he'll make something magnificent. His direction is a reflection of the material he's working with.
The man writing BvS is an Oscar winner, there is a very high likelihood that the writing will be good, but if it isn't, then who is to blame?
I can already foresee Snyder being blamed again lol

Surely if the writing is crap, then the writer is to blame.
Snyder is like Ridley Scott, give him a good script and he'll make something magnificent. His direction is a reflection of the material he's working with.
The man writing BvS is an Oscar winner, there is a very high likelihood that the writing will be good, but if it isn't, then who is to blame?
I can already foresee Snyder being blamed again lol

Snyder isn't like Ridley Scott, because Ridley Scott can still get good performances out of actors. And I'm a Snyder fan.

Frog-fu

Banned
Aside from the AWFUL tornado scene, I think Man of Steel is a fine movie. I think it gets a worse rep than it deserves. The movie did a great job with its take on a grittier, inexperienced Superman, and I know it's the custom to roll your eyes at anything that's described as dark and gritty these days, but I don't care, I liked being as unaware and lost as Clark as he tried to find his place in the world.

I think it's going to be interesting to see the way things unfold in the DCU going forward. The destruction of Metropolis will have repercussions. Mankind knows for a fact they are not alone in the universe and Superman is going to need to earn their trust.

Peru

Compared to some other superhero movies I think MvS was mostly fine. I came in with the lowest of low expectations because it sounded like all I hate about superhero movies in one neat package (inconsequential huge scale battles willy nilly, sentimental religious /symbolic overtones) but in fact it surprised me woth being more intimate than that. The villains were charming and felt like a threat, some of the "superman as fish out of water" stuff worked in a low-key charm of sorts and yeah, the fights were fun. Sure they go a bit extreme at the very end but it's not like the movie is a series of weightless cgi bouncing around. Lois Lane had nothing sensible to do and Superman isn't that interesting but yeah, it was certainly Ok.

Shaanyboi

Banned
well, he's not a robot, he doesn't have to follow to the script exactly as given to him. Pacing actually is something well within the director's control.
To a point. But these aren't auteur projects. There are more hands involved, some more influential than Snyder. Not to say Snyder is without blame for MoS' failings, but he isn't a director who seems to extrapolate or tinker with something beyond what's on the page. He is someone who gets excited and enthusiastic by the broader thematic exploration of what he's tackling, but he isn't one to strongly analyze each sentence as long as he could, and to tinker where necessary to make sure it feels natural and works on a subtler level.

Hopefully with a more competent script, this won't be an issue, or part of the load will be lifted from his shoulders.

DeathyBoy

Banned
To a point. But these aren't auteur projects. There are more hands involved, some more influential than Snyder. Not to say Snyder is without blame for MoS' failings, but he isn't a director who seems to extrapolate or tinker with something beyond what's on the page. He is someone who gets excited and enthusiastic by the broader thematic exploration of what he's tackling, but he isn't one to strongly analyze each sentence as long as he could, and to tinker where necessary to make sure it feels natural and works on a subtler level.

Hopefully with a more competent script, this won't be an issue, or part of the load will be lifted from his shoulders.

Snyder will nail this film.

Stuff like the Tornado scene and that terrible Krypton stuff was marred by the writing. Kevin Costner and Russell Crowe are rock solid actors, but they can't turn shit into gold. And that's why casting Affleck was a masterstroke - the dude's too savvy to do the comic-book thing again without ensuring there's minimal risk. He's not sacrificing his career goodwill for 'let me go, son' style shite.

That's as much for the script to decide as him

Snyder has enough clout with Warner to change scripts. He's their Joss Whedon, dude.

When his films consistently lacking that emotional touch. That's the case of a director not knowing how to properly handle it.

Imagine Saving Private Ryan directed by Snyder. It would be a completely different movie. Yet no one complains about the action in Saving Private Ryan, because everything is balanced.

DaveH

Snyder has enough clout with Warner to change scripts. He's their Joss Whedon, dude.

When his films consistently lacking that emotional touch. That's the case of a director not knowing how to properly handle it.
Eh, directors are properly expected to delegate. Whedon comes from a writing background and TV, so he has a natural ear for dialogue, story beats, and emotional manipulation... but he doesn't have a cinematic shooting style and basically leaves the action scenes up to visual effects and the choreographers. That's not a knock against his direction, it's him recognizing where his strengths lie and when to delegate. When they fly Whedon in by helicopter to do emergency work... it isn't to shoot... it's for script rewrites and story consultation.

Snyder is fully steeped in the marriage of action and visual effects, something that's completely alien to a lot of directors who can't even imagine the shots much less have the budgets to even attempt them in the first place... but he properly defers to people with better track records writing and acting than himself. That said, he's past the audition phase at this point (even after Man of Steel, he was campaigning to keep working) of hoping the WB will bring him back. With more ownership, he may assert himself more in collaboration with his talents, which I honestly think is a good thing.

Blader

He probably has that clout precisely because he doesn't have a tendency to change scripts and fine tune details endlessly. That kind of constant refinement is extremely annoying for execs and producers, and they're not going to give the keys to kingdom to someone liable to delaying their entire production schedule while he gets the script exactly right. Snyder has all that influence because they know he's not one for paying meticulous attention to story structure.

Peru

He probably has that clout precisely because he doesn't have a tendency to change scripts and fine tune details endlessly. That kind of constant refinement is extremely annoying for execs and producers, and they're not going to give the keys to kingdom to someone liable to delaying their entire production schedule while he gets the script exactly right. Snyder has all that influence because they know he's not one for paying meticulous attention to story structure.

Constantly re-writing scripts, with several writers involved, is par for the course especially for big blocbkusters and franchises.

Oh wow she looks fine. Much better than in the Wonder Woman promo image.

I'm also still annoyed I couldn't get into Man of Steel.

Yeah it does look better than the promo shot.

I hope we get a "I love everyone" WW, not a ruthless warrior.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for that, considering GRITTY VOLCANO PROMO SHOT REMEMBER WHEN I MADE 300?!?!?

inc kicking doomsday into an endless pit.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
WW has never been She-hulk and is a magically superpowered hero

who gives a shit
Yeah I don't get it, she has never been designed as a female body builder, in fact the amazons are very proud of their womanhood they are strong while retaining their female features they don't need to look all jacked up so they can compete with men.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Yeah I don't get it, she has never been designed as a female body builder, in fact the amazons are very proud of their womanhood they are strong while retaining their female features they don't need to look all jacked up so they can compete with men.

Comic-book fans are insane.

What's this weak ass talk? Nah bruh I NEED my Gleason Amazons
bww30b.jpg

ReiGun

Yeah it does look better than the promo shot.

I hope we get a "I love everyone" WW, not a ruthless warrior.

That Wonder Woman is dead and gone. "Ruthless warrior who occasionally talks about peace and spouts some feminism 101 lines" is the only Wonder Woman the people will engage with.

:(

i see some pretty athletic looking girls in the gym who don't look 'jacked up' but definitely look fit with muscle too while still remaining quite feminine.

gal gadot looks like she's only been on the cardio machines, plus honestly it doesn't help that she's been a shit actress from what i've seen so i can't even say she was cast for her charisma.

who knows though, we'll see her in that movie with casey affleck and the huge ensemble later this year, a crime thriller from john hillcoat.

but then again scarlett johannson wasn't really fit in captain america 2 and she rocked. i think my ideal model for this was emily blunt in edge of tomorrow tho :(

BadAss2961

gal gadot looks like she's only been on the cardio machines, plus honestly it doesn't help that she's been a shit actress from what i've seen so i can't even say she was cast for her charisma.
For the most part, all people have seen her in are the Fast and Furious movies. She has a very simple role in that franchise, and she fills it. There's not enough material there to claim that she's a shit actress.

yeah she didn't really have any lines in it. maybe she'll prove me wrong and then i'll gladly eat my words. this character is an icon, especially when it comes to female heroes which is why i was hoping for somebody with that major presence like eva green :)whew). they can't fuck this one up, maybe she killed it at the audition.

Sambrez_

I think that Snyder will pull a Faora with WW. Who thought that Antje Traue could nail Faora like this. I loved Pandorum but she wasn't really a well known actress too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom