• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding casting, outside of acting, if there is one thing DC has over Marvel is that all the guys in their movies so far are fucking huge.

I wonder who they will get for Darkseid cuz I think the pool of big motherfuckers who can act is drying up. He'll probably be CGI like Thanos or Apocalypse.
They should cast Arnold or Stallone for Darkseid.

I want more interactions between Darkseid and the heroes instead of how Marvel is handling Thanos. He should appear first in MoS2, and sprinkle appearances throughout the other movies. Essentially, I want them to adapt this, with him sitting in ma kent's house. I want there to be a component besides "here's this guy, he's bad, kill him!". Hopefully this kind of interaction will extend to Joker as well, with his obviously being more demented and obsessive.

DaveH

shots fired!

via Variety

“The worlds of DC are very different. They’re steeped in realism, and they’re a little bit edgier than Marvel’s movies.”

"a little bit edgier" is a pretty mild nudge... doubtless no publication is going to run "a little bit" part in their headline. I will be ecstatic to be proven wrong.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

Having the same tone as the Marvel movies would only hurt DC, as they would suffer from an identity crisis, not having a tone of their own and only copying what worked for Marvel.

Like it or hate it, having a different take and tone on a universe of superheroes is what will allow them to distance themselves from Marvel movies.

I certainly wouldn't want 10034095 superhero movies with the same tone, that would definitely spell disaster for these type of movies.

IYrE9To.gif

higher res webm

Damn I just saw this, who cares about Gadot, look at Snyder's bicep damn.

Fittest director working today? Dude could body double for some of the heroes no doubt.

DaveH

Fittest director working today? Dude could body double for some of the heroes no doubt.
http://youtu.be/ZE54Jrjcj8I?t=3m30s

Empire: Training with your cast. 300 you obviously did it. I gather you did it a bit here as well. Did you put up your stats up on the board?

Snyder: I'm trying to think, did I put up my stats? You know, on this movie, it was so intense and the workouts were so spread out. It wasn't like the old days where everyone trained together and we could put our times up next to each other and everyone had different workouts with different fitness goals (whatever that means).

I did get to train with Henry a bunch and Antje a couple times. I don't think I trained with Russell... maybe I did once. I feel like I did. It's fun, I like working out. It's like I always say, I get super fit in prep and then when we're shooting I just wither away... and then I get fit again after the movie ends. It's like running a marathon, and have to recharge again.

---------------

It's something often neglected by directors, but physical toughness assists in mental toughness and endurance and why everyone who works with Snyder always remarks about his energy and positivity on set. If nothing else, people love to work with and for him.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.

Yeah... I wouldn't want to get him angry on set.

Zack+Snyder+Warner+Bros+Pictures+Panel+Presentation+8RIFMW4MEUJl.jpg

guek

Banned
All the "realism" talk just makes comicbook movies seem stupid in retrospect. I remember hearing the same praise being thrown at Batman Begins a lot when it first came out but when you closely examine the movie, a lot of really dumb shit is everywhere. Realism is poor word choice that creates ridiculous standard for comicbook movies. I just can't take the notion seriously.

inm8num2

Realism got entangled with lack of supernatural elements. Fiction can still have unrealistic elements or require suspension of disbelief without anything supernatural.

Blader

All the "realism" talk just makes comicbook movies seem stupid in retrospect. I remember hearing the same praise being thrown at Batman Begins a lot when it first came out but when you closely examine the movie, a lot of really dumb shit is everywhere. Realism is poor word choice that creates an ridiculous standard for comicbook movies. I just can't take the notion seriously.

I like how Nolan defines "realism" as a tone for his or other contemporary superhero movies:

The term “realism” is often confusing and used sort of arbitrarily. I suppose “relatable” is the word I would use. I wanted a world that was realistically portrayed, in that even though outlandish events may be taking place, and this extraordinary figure may be walking around these streets, the streets would have the same weight and validity of the streets in any other action movie. So they’d be relatable in that way.

If I can believe in that world because I recognize it and can imagine myself walking down that street, then when this extraordinary figure of Batman comes swooping down in this theatrical costume and presenting this very theatrical aspect, that’s going to be more exciting to me.

http://filmcomment.com/article/cinematic-faith-christopher-nolan-scott-foundas

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
In other news, the Supergirl pilot has begun filming:

Kreisberg is the executive producer of the show, as well as Arrow and The Flash.

I'm oddly not that excited for this, CBS meddling will do more harm than good to the show.

E the Shaggy

"Steeped in realism."

Man if there's any phrase that just makes you think they have no idea what they're doing, it's this one.

Yes, the King of Atlantis, the Amazonian from a magical hidden island of women, the space cop, the super fast guy who got his powers from lightning, and the alien with super everything should TOTALLY be as realistic as possible.

"Steeped in realism."

Man if there's any phrase that just makes you think they have no idea what they're doing, it's this one.

Yes, the King of Atlantis, the Amazonian from a magical hidden island of women, the space cop, the super fast guy who got his powers from lightning, and the alien with super everything should TOTALLY be as realistic as possible.

So what you're saying is...we're at the "dark and gritty" part of the cycle.

I'm not saying that.. but these are comics. A few jokes wouldn't hurt? These things are supposed to be fun.

There will be jokes, it's freaking impossible to make a comic book movie without at least a few

Man of steel had some too, it's just they fell flat

The fine line is xmen or raimi Spider-Mana imo. They still have emotional depth to their characters and aren't resorting to just being walking one-liners like a Whedon script

Loxley

Guys, come on, we've almost completely skipped over the point of the BvS thread cycle where we talk about Snyder being a shitty director. We can't just go straight to "Why are these movies so serious?".

Great, now I have to completely reschedule my day. Do not mess with the cycle.

donotinterferewulzt.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom