• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever watch Superman vs. The Elite? Similar premise, though it sounds like the conclusion plays out a bit differently.

No, but I heard it was based off of that comic. Heard bad things about the animated movie, so I steered clear.

The author Joe Kelly adapted his own comic for the animated movie. If you liked the comic, i'd wager you'd also like the movie. The bad things said about it more often than not refer to the character designs, which are a bit more cartoony than usual for the line.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Superman vs the elite was really good

Also, in regards to smart superman, I don't expect much on that front

'Smart Superman' in films essentially creates deus ex machinas out of thin air. He's not so smart as a latent reality warper who is an expert in shit which has never happened.

Pine seems kind of babyfaced for Hal.

I like him. Really enjoyed his versionof Kirk.

Suicide Squad is starting to boil. Wonder Woman stuff should start spilling in a couple of months.

Truth of the Matter is Hal will just be Kirk minus the Alien Babe Fetish, that's Stewarts thing.

I just want a Superman that inspires hope again.

a lot of rumor about this film addressing the damage krypton did to earth so maybe he'll learn from the criticism the people give in the film. plus I think there's a statue of him in this movie so maybe the movie will kick off with him being a very public hero to metropolis.

Green Lanterns now operate as a pair so we can have both.
Hal and John. make along the same vein as Lethal Weapon with either John or Hal being the good cop and the other one can be the loose cannon.

It's probably gonna be Abin Sur and Sinestro, Senior partner and junior partner respectively, Sur dies, Hal gets the ring. Sinestro gets a promotion to senior Hal becomes the junior in the Partnership.

a lot of rumor about this film addressing the damage krypton did to earth so maybe he'll learn from the criticism the people give in the film. plus I think there's a statue of him in this movie so maybe the movie will kick off with him being a very public hero to metropolis.

Ugh, that sucks.

I don't want a statue to Superman in Metropolis, unless it's the aftermath to The Death of Superman.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
The trailer for this will be so dope. That is, if they decide to give us a full trailer rather than making is comic con exclusive, which makes no sense whatsoever.

Maybe not an all-out genius, but they should portray Supes as an intelligent guy in a more subtle way like this:

4236298-10.jpg

Also, Supes was the first person to discover the location of the Batcave too (way before Bane did)

4250940-ac_645_32.jpg

You're right though....the cartoons and movies rarely portray him as a thinker.

It's never seemed like a challenge to discover the location of the Batcave though. Just fuckin tail the Batmobile.

Sometimes being so tight with information can be detrimental in this day and age of instant gratification. If you aren't on fans lips often enough, your movie has a chance to be forgotten. Yes I know it's superman and batman but it still applies.

Sometimes being so tight with information can be detrimental in this day and age of instant gratification. If you aren't on fans lips often enough, your movie has a chance to be forgotten. Yes I know it's superman and batman but it still applies.

Yeah, I agree with this.

I brought it up BvS to some friends during a discussion about Age of Ultron and they all thought it had be quietly cancelled due to the lack of any real information or teasers since the leaked CC one.

I get that DC want to keep things quiet and only tease little things like a poster here or there, but they really need to kick this thing into gear already. Get teaser out by the Summer and then build the hype until release.

Penguin

Yeah, I agree with this.

I brought it up BvS to some friends during a discussion about Age of Ultron and they all thought it had be quietly cancelled due to the lack of any real information or teasers since the leaked CC one.

I get that DC want to keep things quiet and only tease little things like a poster here or there, but they really need to kick this thing into gear already. Get teaser out by the Summer and then build the hype until release.

I agree and disagree.

I mean we're still over a year out from the film's release. You can just as easily burn people out from constant information

"Oh we've seen everything the movie has to offer"

I think it's getting to the point where they may need to jump start the hype cycle. Maybe not even a full teaser

But colored versions of Wonder Woman and Batman's costumes are a start

a916

Nah, the teaser trailer is coming out before SDCC probably

Unpopular opinion... but they should drop a proper teaser at SDCC and then drop a story trailer 3-4 months out...

I don't like Avengers style bombardment every day. I want every media drop to mean something.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
It's amazing that we're in a thread revolving around two characters who inspire hope, and people are writing this film off for reasons. Even after a new writers been brought onboard and we've been all but told the film is addressing MOS complaints.

who in their right mind would write off a movie featuring superman...and batman, its going to Megaton at least for the first 3 weeks i guess even sure things can fall short...but i wouldn't bet on this movie being one of them.

Suicide Squad might be a safer misfire bet or AntMan...Aquaman ...

BadAss2961

The lack of information is frustrating for us that follow the movie everyday, but it won't be a problem at all. BvS is still a year away, and you know the marketing campaign is going to be massive. I think they're working on timing everything perfectly so that the hype peaks around release day next year with as little spoiled as possible for a film of this magnitude. Given how much they've been able to keep from us during filming and up to now, I think they can pull it off.

After all, this is Batman v Superman. This secrecy will work to its advantage at some point.

Lothars

who in their right mind would write off a movie featuring superman...and batman, its going to Megaton at least for the first 3 weeks i guess even sure things can fall short...but i wouldn't bet on this movie being one of them.

Suicide Squad might be a safer misfire bet or AntMan...Aquaman ...
With how bad dark night rises was and how mediocre man of steel was. I think those are both great reasons to be meh about this movie. It's going to make money the first couple weeks but it has to be great to keep up the momentum. I hope it is but I will believe it when I see it even though i think Ben Affleck is a great choice for batman.

ReiGun

You guys are acting like there's going to be nothing but a screenshot of The Flash or something until the film releases. lol

The movie is still a year away. There's plenty of time to start the media blitz. If the Aquaman reveal taught us anything it's that WB can grab attention for the film with the smallest thing whenever they want. Chill. lol

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
With how bad dark night rises was and how mediocre man of steel was. I think those are both great reasons to be meh about this movie. It's going to make money the first couple weeks but it has to be great to keep up the momentum. I hope it is but I will believe it when I see it even though i think Ben Affleck is a great choice for batman.

I get that but write it off? like its going to be ...mystery men or something? It will be huge on hype for sure, reception i see your point.

3N16MA

Banned

I have actually warmed up to the film more once Terrio was brought in to fix whatever Goyer did.

Senoculum

You guys also forget that friggin Star Wars is releasing this December. Disney's marketing is going to overshadow everything this October and beyond. The smartest move would be to attach a (full) trailer in front of Star Wars, giving them 3.5 months of advertising space with zero competition. A teaser is likely to enter earlier than that, but the next few weeks is not the time - just wait for Comic Con, WB has always had a presence there.

Mind you Avatar had an "Avatar Day" where the trailer for the movie, the game, and the release of the books, made a splash. That was late August vs a December release.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Can you guys tell me how much we knew about Age of Ultron a year from release? Come on now, stop panicking.

It's only us rabid fans that follow the production everyday that get desperate and frustrated, the GA doesn't give a fuck. Snowball effect after SDCC. And I bet there's a teaser coming soon, probably attached to Mad Max.

a916

Can you guys tell me how much we knew about Age of Ultron a year from release? Come on now, stop panicking.

That first teaser (which was meaty) came in December, 6 months out. They released that Iron Man helmet forming into Ultron further back than that, but yeah, what you said.

Now's not the time for panic.
That comes later.

Penguin

Well going back a bit further, we had our first look at Ultron and the big group poster a few months earlier.

And there was the recording of the teaser at SDCC.

I agree and disagree.

I mean we're still over a year out from the film's release. You can just as easily burn people out from constant information

"Oh we've seen everything the movie has to offer"

I think it's getting to the point where they may need to jump start the hype cycle. Maybe not even a full teaser

But colored versions of Wonder Woman and Batman's costumes are a start

Yeah, I can understand there might be a worry about burning people out, but I also feel they could at least set the wheels in motion outside of conventions.

The MoS teaser came out what felt like a year before the movie hit (the one where Supes is flying up and those cones form around him), they did a great job in building hype I thought.

Releasing the CC teaser would be a great start. Something to get people talking until a proper teaser hits much later in the year. Releasing colour posters of Batman and WW would also be nice.

Penguin

Yeah, I can understand there might be a worry about burning people out, but I also feel they could at least set the wheels in motion outside of conventions.

The MoS teaser came out what felt like a year before the movie hit (the one where Supes is flying up and those cones form around him), they did a great job in building hype I thought.

Releasing the CC teaser would be a great start. Something to get people talking until a proper teaser hits much later in the year. Releasing colour posters of Batman and WW would also be nice.

I'm fairly certain that came out a little under a year before the film because was either attached or came out after The Dark Knight Rises.

Penguin

Hey comicGAF, i'm a little late to the party but, what is this talk of Goyer out?

Super-late to the party

Condensed version

When Affleck was bought on as Batman, he decided to bring along his Argo writer, Chris Terriro, to punch up the script about.

Due to some injury, production of the film was pushed back. They went to town on the script. Goyer still gets credit for the framing of it, but seems like a new script from Chris, Zack and Ben.

E the Shaggy

Hey comicGAF, i'm a little late to the party but, what is this talk of Goyer out?

I would like to hope that in part, his being kicked off the franchise not only had to do with the crap quality of Man of Steel, but also him calling people who were fans of Martian Manhunter's virgins who lived in their mom's basement.

What the fuck even?

Super-late to the party

Condensed version

When Affleck was bought on as Batman, he decided to bring along his Argo writer, Chris Terriro, to punch up the script about.

Due to some injury, production of the film was pushed back. They went to town on the script. Goyer still gets credit for the framing of it, but seems like a new script from Chris, Zack and Ben.

How funny would it be if Affleck saved this movie and the entire DCCU

comicGAF said:
I would like to hope that in part, his being kicked off the franchise not only had to do with the crap quality of Man of Steel, but also him calling people who were fans of Martian Manhunter's virgins who lived in their mom's basement.

What the fuck even?

Super-late to the party

Condensed version

That makes me a very excited guy. So glad to hear this. Unfortunately the tone still seems quite apparent. We will see I suppose.

Penguin

What the fuck even?

Don't like the guy

But he was on a humor-based panel/podcast and went for a cheap joke. I don't think he intended for it to be taken seriously. It was all played for laughs. Good or bad

ninjabat

A full trailer at comic con, followed by a teaser for the general public around August will be fine. This film doesn't need a huge marketing push, people will see it no matter when the trailer comes. Superman and Batman are just too big.

And for me Goyer is okay. The Martian Manhunter thing was a joke that he made a mistake with. He has had hugely contributed to comic book movies.

Blade trilogy would never have happened without him. Did great work on tdk trilogy. And somehow is getting a freaking Sandman movie into production.

Sure he had bad moments with blade 3 and man of steel (liked the movie but dialogue had too many dick jokes) but in the end he has more wins than loses.

I believe he has a few hits left in him.

Rooster12

Goyer was part of one of the best runs in DC comics, the JSA series. Earth-2 heroes that no one gives a shit about....and he has goes to say that about Martian Manhunter?? wtf

Jigorath

Banned
A full trailer at comic con, followed by a teaser for the general public around August will be fine. This film doesn't need a huge marketing push, people will see it no matter when the trailer comes. Superman and Batman are just too big.

Of course it does. I don't understand this reasoning that big blockbusters don't need a big marketing push. This is supposed to set up the entire DC cinematic universe. Like the next 8 DC movies are riding on this. Warner is going to everything they can to make sure it's a success and that includes an absolutely massive marketing campaign. You think Disney is just going to quietly release the next Star Wars without major marketing simply because it's Star Wars and people are familiar with it?

Of course it does. I don't understand this reasoning that big blockbusters don't need a big marketing push. This is supposed to set up the entire DC cinematic universe. Like the next 8 DC movies are riding on this. Warner is going to everything they can to make sure it's a success and that includes an absolutely massive marketing campaign. You think Disney is just going to quietly release the next Star Wars without major marketing simply because it's Star Wars and people are familiar with it?

If that's the case they royally screwed up by picking Ben Affleck to be Batman.......

ninjabat

What I mean by that is that it doesn't need a trailer this far out. 6 months before release is fine. Of course there will be a big push, but condensing that push into 6 months rather than having the full year hype build up is fine. The film will be huge regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom